Chapter 12: Kimbap

It's Love - A Story of Sunny And Taeyeon

Taeyeon's POV

“There’s nothing I can microwave and eat.” I slurred as I stare into the fridge hoping that something would magically appear or that if I stare long enough, my standards would drop so that I can finally choose something to eat. I pushed the fridge door shut and opened it again a second later, half expecting something new to catch my eyes.

“Unnie! The fridge is not a TV, choose something or close the door.” Seohyun gently but firmly demanded.

“I can’t find anything to eat!” I turn around and whined at her, “make me something to eat.”

“Andwae! I’m reading something.” She called out, fully focused on the page.

“Seohyun-ah! Please?” I shuffled my feet towards her and kneeled next to her, she ignored me and turned the page in the most posh manner. I sighed and glared at Hyoyeon and Yoona on the sofa, being giggly as they listen to music together through one pair of earphones. “Ya! Any of you wanna eat?”

Yoona looked up and grinned, “that sounds great, let us know when the food’s ready.”

“I- nevermind..” I dragged my feet back towards the kitchen. My gloomy emotion brightened as soon as I saw Sunny skip into the area. “Sunny-ah! Make me food!”

“Hush, you sound like Sooyoung-ah. Wae? Isn’t there anything to eat?” She opened the fridge and stared blankly at it. “There’s vegetables, meat, egg, other stuff, what’s wrong with those?”

“I’m too lazy to cook, I just wanna microwave something.” I mumbled to her with my head slightly looking down.

She shook her head and placed both fists onto her waist. “That is not a proper lunch, Taengoo.” She got onto her tippy toes to inspect Seohyun on the floor and the girls on the couch. “None of them have any plans on what we’re going to eat?”

I responded with a shake of my head. A sudden, low growl could be from my stomach, I giggled and clenched my tummy in attempt to quieten the grumble. “I kinda- haven’t eaten breakfast either.”

Sunny let out an obvious sigh of disappointment and inched her way towards me. “If you’re that hungry, you can always have me,” she whispered to me, poking my nose and running it down across my lips flirtatiously.

“Wait, what?” I asked, eyebrows raised, a little thrown off balance. Wasn’t expecting Sunny to say such a byuntae thing all of a sudden.

Sunny flipped her hair as she turned around and cheekily wiggled her at me. What in the world is she doing, she must’ve been drinking.

“Eotteoke? I wanna eat edible food.”

She re-opens the fridge and analyses the products that are available. “Taeyeon-ah, what if I make you some kimbap? Will you love me then?” she asked with a wink.

I don’t know how to really reply to that, was she just joking around or does she want a real confession? I’m thinking about it too much, of course it was her just joking about. “Sure, maybe, if you do a good job, I’ll love you. If you don’t, I’ll leave So Nyu Shi Dae.”

Without hesitation or any chance to react to my conditions, “call,” she says confidently. “Although, the problem is, the only way that I’d make nice, tasty, to die for kimbap, I’ll need a sous chef.” She then blinks at me innocently without saying another word. She plainly wants me to help her in the kitchen.

“Fine..”

*****

Sunny and I have neatly organised the kimbap ingredients onto the table counter for us to efficiently work with. Sunny reached for a sheet of seaweed and used a spoon to plop some rice evenly along the seaweed. I watched her meat and vegetable placement from the sidelines and took mental notes.

My eyes slowly wander from her hands up along her arms and to her facial expression. The way was slightly open and her tongue poking out as she was concentrating was so cute. I can’t help but smile at the sight of her, I can’t take my eyes away from her. It must’ve been a minute that I’ve been staring because by the time I looked away, she was in the midst of cutting the kimbap into pieces.

I shook my head and smiled at myself for getting myself lost in Sunny’s cuteness, therefore missing the steps. Making kimbap couldn’t be that hard, it looks pretty simple.

“Wanna try?” Sunny asked all of a sudden, looking straight at me a little confused as to what I was doing.

“Uh, n-neh, I’ll have a go.” I stuttered as I step into her place. “Does the kimbap taste good?”

“I haven’t tried one yet, I’ll save it for later. You on the other hand..” She hovered her index and thumb over the various kimbap pieces and chose one. “You did say you were starving.” She held it in front of my mouth and opened , instructing me to mimic her.

I opened my mouth as wide as she did and took a bite out of the kimbap. “Aigoo, take it all in one bite, Taeyeon-ah.” I nodded with a happy smirk on my face as I reopened my mouth, capturing all of the remaining kimbap. “Yummy?” I nodded again and exhaled through my nose, having that happy grin stuck on my face.

Soonkyu tilted her head and sneered randomly. I have no idea why, I just looked back at her puzzled. She wasn’t looking into my eyes, but a little bit lower. I covered my mouth with a hand and mumbled, “what are you looking at?” Sunny gently pushed my hand aside and had an even wider, byuntae smile on her face.

“Don’t move a muscle,” she ordered quietly and pushed me back slightly. I stepped backwards and froze, she closed her eyes and pressed her soft, somewhat moist lips onto the corner of my lips. I was so stunned, my brain stopped working, I didn’t know what to do in this situation. Why was she doing this all of a sudden? What if Seohyun, Hyoyeon or Yoona saw us doing this? I squeezed both her arms with both hands, haven’t decided whether to pull her closer or push her away.

Sunny, don’t kiss me here, anywhere but here. Your kisses make me weak, I want to feel your lips with mine but I know that I need to control myself to keep us from getting into trouble. I need to stop this, but I can’t help but stand still and accept it. I love you, Sunny but I need to end this.

Before I could push her away, she parted our contact on her own, and meronged at me with her eye smile. I cannot believe what I saw, it was rice on her tongue. There must’ve been rice on my face and she wanted a way to get it off.

I inhaled deeply and squatted as I exhaled. Sunny squatted in front of me and whispered, “did I scare you? Sorry but I had to do it, Sunny instincts.” I curled my lips to hide my smile but her puffed cheek made me smile like crazy. Oh, Sunny, why must you be so cute and loving to me, I know it’s a little hard for you to be in a one-sided lovey-dovey relationship with me at the moment, but I’m still thinking about our future, the effect on us and our sisters, the media. It’s not that I don’t love you, I just don’t want to rush things.

*****

It was my turn to make a kimbap, I’ve already layered on the rice but paused for a second. “Um, it doesn’t matter what or how much I put in right?”

“As long as you don’t overfill it, you need the right balance of rice and filling,” she explained as she watches what I do over my shoulders.

“Is the food ready? What are we eating?” Yoona called out all of a sudden.

“Sunny’s already made a plate of kimbap and no you can’t have any at the moment.” I answered back. I began to neatly place the sticks of vegetables and meat on top of the rice when Sunny wrapped her arms around my waist and locking it. Once again, I stood like a statue, I really can’t help it.

Even though I wasn’t looking at her at all, I could sense that she was wearing a bold grin on her face. “Hey, Taeyeon-ah,” she whispered into my ear, “I’ve got an idea, let’s play a prank on all of them.”

I loosened up at her words and bit my bottom lip with a nod. “That sounds excellent,” I agreed in a weird, creepy voice.

“Hold on, wait right here,” she unhooked her arms and left to the fridge where she searched the side door for something. She returned with her arms back around me and showed me the item from the front. It was a small green tube with Japanese on it.

“Wasabi,” I read in a soft voice. I couldn’t help but snigger at the idea and gave the three girls a sharp glare. This is revenge for being lazy.

I kept my hands out of the way as I watched Sunny, almost blindly squirting on a generous line of wasabi horizontally with the vegetables. I watched mischievously, imagining the reactions. Sunny’s body shook from her trying to keep in her evil laughter.

“This is going to be so daebak,” she mumbled.

“You’re daebak for coming up with this,” I complimented her.

Sunny hugged me tighter and capped the tube. “You’re jjang, Taeyeon-ah, don’t forget what I told you. You are my one and only girl.”

I had a vivid sense of déjà vu the moment I heard her say those words. The night Sunny confessed to me, it was probably one of the happiest moments I’ve ever had in a long time. Winning awards is one thing, but knowing that someone actually loves you deep down and truly, that will last forever.

My eyes began to tear up for no reason but the flashback, I was turned around to face Sunny where she squeezed my cheek and displayed her sweet, beautiful smile. Her lips were so unique, the way its shaped added to her charm, I wanted to kiss her but if I did, there’d be a chance of getting caught red handed.

“I’m sorry,” I muttered, not because of the teary eyes but because I couldn’t kiss her. One day, I’d look back on this day and regret my decision not to kiss her. You have no idea how much I love you, Sunny.

*****

“Ya!” I yelled out at the three members. “Kimbap is ready!” I placed the plate of wasabi kimbap onto the coffee table and watched as they all hoarded the plate. I put my arm around Sunny who was next to me and Sunny had her arm around my lower back.

“So? How’s the taste guys?” She asked all of them, waiting for a reaction.

All their faces were blank and confused at first but the more they chewed the more messed up their facial expressions got. Eventually it got to a point where all of their mouths and nostrils started burning up.

Yoona shot up, covering and headed straight for the bin, followed by Seohyun. Hyoyeon spat out the kimbap into her hands and gave an angry, weird, funny and amused face at the same time. “Ya!” She exclaimed as she fanned her tongue sticking out, “my nostrils are on fire!”

Seohyun came back with tears down her cheeks, also fanning herself. “Did you put wasabi? Ahh! Chincha, my nose feels like it’s going to come off,”

Sunny and I turned around and noticed Yoona drinking a large 1L bottle of water in attempt to cool down. We had no sympathy, we faced each other and laughed like crazy, hugging each other and dancing in circles.

All of a sudden, Sooyoung appeared out of nowhere and rushed to the kimbap table. “Oooh, kimbap, I’m super hungry.” None of us said or warned her about the wasabi, they wanted as much of a reaction as Sunny and I did.

Shikshin greedily took two pieces and stuffed them in , scanning the room at us proudly. We all waited and watched as her expression turned from really happy to absolutely unpleasant.

Sunny covered and I giggled uncontrollably. Without a care, she spat out the kimbap into some nearby tissues and rushed to Yoona, grabbing the bottle and spraying water everywhere. “Give me the water! Who made these kimbap, I’m going to kill them.”

We both ducked onto the floor out of sight and rolled around laughing, we playfully high-fived each other and held each other as we laugh the moment out of our system. Sunny is jjang when it comes to pranks in my opinion, I’m sure to have this much fun whenever I’m with her.

“Hey, what’s this? Another plate of kimbap?” Sooyoung freely took one without her permission and chewed on it in relief that it wasn’t filled with wasabi.

“Ya! That’s mine!” Sunny and I said in unison. May we have more fun like this in the future, we are officially in the pranking business.