Chapter 6: City Lights

It's Love - A Story of Sunny And Taeyeon

Taeyeon's POV

We have arrived at our destination, since we’re staying overseas for a couple of days, we’re going to the hotel to drop off our luggage before we head out for our schedule.

So Nyu Shi De was split up into three groups of three so Sunny and Seohyun and I shared a suite. It’ll be a change sharing a room with a third person, the last time I shared a room with two other people was when we first lived together as a group. I don’t want to sound too much of a byuntae but I really wished that it was just Sunny and I, so we can some alone Dandyu time. Anyway, I’m still glad that Seohyun is in a room with us.

We entered the room and found three single beds with clean, unwrinkled, white bed sheets. Sunny dropped her bags and jumped on the bed closest to the window. “Aigoo! I’m so jetlagged, I just want to take a nap.”

Seohyun walked over to the bed in the middle and dropped her luggage next to it. “If you don’t mind Unnie, I’ll take the middle, it’s got the best view of the TV.”

Hmm, I wanted to rest there, I should tell her off since I’m superior to her. “Seohyun, since I’m older, I should choose the bed before you.”

“Unnie, as a leader, you should care for all the members before yourself, especially the maknae as I am less experienced than you and need the most nurturing in the group.” Seohyun looked up at me with her puppy eyes. Seohyun is always like this, even though she’s the maknae, she always gets her way. I glanced at her, then at Sunny, she looked at me and gave me an ‘oh well’ shrug. Hul~ You won this round Seohyun-ah.

I waddled over to the bed closest to the door and put my stuff next to it. I didn’t have time to sit down, “Come on, we should get ready for our concert rehearsal, we don’t have time to rest.” I started clapping to get the other two off the bed.

Seohyun obeyed the orders and got up, Sunny on the other hand was still on the bed. I walked up to her and started chanting and clapping, “Lee Soonkyu! Wake up! Lee Soonkyu! Wake up!”

“I’m stuck,” she whined.

I grabbed her wrist and pulled her up, she wasn’t putting any energy into getting up so I had to carry all her weight onto her feet. “Don’t be like that Sunny-ah, this is why you shouldn’t get too comfortable as soon as we get here.”

She finally supported herself on her feet and got ready. Seohyun was in the bathroom so Sunny and I decided to change our clothes into something fitting for a stage rehearsal.

*****

It’s mid-afternoon and the group have reached the concert destination. You can see people setting up the venue for tomorrow. We walked up onto stage to greet the concert director, “Annyeong, how are we all today?” He greeted us with a big welcome, he starts telling us the basic details of the concert schedule. What time it starts, what time the break is, the song order, all that important stuff.

It was time to do basic rehearsals of our songs. We were all given a timetable and immediately started practicing the first song. The group was focused as we only have today to practice the songs for the last time.

Song after song, we danced and sung harmoniously and in sync. We flew through the first few songs flawlessly but then then we’ve grown tired and a bit playful. Occasionally, someone would purposely crack their voice or do a cheeky action.

Sunny called out to me and I slowly turned around to look at her with a funny byuntae face. She sent me a flying kiss, winked at me and rubbed her in a circle motion. I have no idea what the rubbing meant but I guess the group have really grown restless and need a five minute break. I called out for a break and headed towards Sunny, I playfully and gently slapped her in the face. “Sunny-ah, the concert is tomorrow and you’re busy rubbing your at me.”

She smiled as if she was drunk, “I don’t know why I did that, I guess I’m being a bit naughty and need a little spanking.”

“Lee Soonkyu, are you drunk or just a little bit . We have to practice hard, okay? Come get some water with me.” I grabbed her arm and with skipped to get our bottles. We sat on stage and leaned back on one of our arms. “This place is really cool, I wish we had a chance to explore around this country for a bit.”

“Ne, maybe we can some other time. ‘Girls’ Generation’s World Adventures’, that would be a great show, I would watch that.”

“I would love to be a part of that.” I stood up and offered Sunny my hand, she took it and I pulled her up. “Come on, let’s get back to practice, serious practice, ne?”

“Ne.” Sunny agreed seriously, getting back into her focused and professional state.

Once again I tapped her on the nose but this time, she stood there frozen like a statue. You could tell that she was holding back from scrunching her face. Oh Sunny, that is almost just as aegyo as actually scrunching up your face. Giggling, I gathered up the rest of the members and continued practicing from the song we left off from.

We kept practicing our songs in order, by the end of practice, we were all tired and a little sweaty. Manager-oppa, who was watching us from afar at the end, came to us and praised us for the great practice. He instructed us to pack up our stuff and head back to the hotel.

*****

We’ve all arrived back to the hotel with our dinner take-away. It was a tiring but fun rehearsal, and I’m glad to finally have some free time to relax. Seohyun, Sunny and I entered our room and placed our dinner onto the table.

Seohyun opened the bathroom door and the lights, “Unnie, you don’t mind if I take a shower first right?”

“Go ahead, we’ll eat while you shower.”

“Okay, don’t touch my rice,” she closed the door, I could hear the water running and then it just hits me. Sunny and I are alone. I chuckled a bit and glanced over at Sunny’s bed. There I saw Sunny minding her own business while she stuffs her dinner down . Hmm, what a sight.

I rolled off my bed and landed on the floor on all fours, slowly, I crawled up to Sunny’s bed, pretending I was a dog. I whimpered and begged for food but Sunny just looked at me with dagger eyes and protected her food with her body. She was playing hard to get, so I jumped onto the bed, still acting like a dog and pushed my head into her lap and rested it there. “Sunny bunny, please feed me.”

“This is my food, Taeyeon-ah! If you want some, you’re going to have to try harder than that.” She wiggled out of my reach and sat cross legged facing away from me.

Sunny is really, playing hard to get, she left me no choice. I started to whimper again and crawled up behind her, wrapped my arms around her neck and placed my face next to her ear. I gently blew into it and gave it a little nibble.

Sunny quickly placed her food on the side table, “Ahh! Taeyeon-ah! Don’t do that, you’re giving me chills down my spine with your biting and blowing,” she swung her hand up to her ear to rub it but accidentally whacked me in the face. I fell backwards in shock, Sunny gasped and turned towards me but lost balanced and fell on top of me. “Aigoo, sorry unnie, are you alright?”

“Ne, I’m alright, it was just a little slap.”

Just at that moment, the bathroom door opened and there stood the maknae looking at us. From her point of view, it looked very indecent, with Sunny in between my legs on the bed, with our faces so close to each other, you wouldn’t think of anything else.

She just stood there for a while, speechless. I hope she didn’t really think we were doing what she thought we were doing. Otteoke. “Seohyun-ah, it’s not what it looks like, I fell and Sunny fell too.” I guessed that wasn’t a very good explanation because she went back into the bathroom and closed the door.

Sunny and I both sighed and shuffled out of bed and towards the bathroom door. From there, we explained to her in detail of what happened. I really don’t want Seohyun to spread our little incident with the rest of the group falsely, that would ruin both Sunny and my reputation. Really, what would happen when they all find out that we like each other more than friends? When the time comes, then we’ll deal with it, but for now, we’ll keep it at a down low.

*****

Seohyun joined us for dinner, after explaining to her that it was just an accident while playing, she seemed fine with it. She didn’t say much, she was too focused on the TV and eating.

“I’m going to take a shower now, I’ll see you guys in a bit,” Sunny said as she stood up and threw away her rubbish.

“Okay, we’ll be here if you need us,” I replied

Sunny entered the bathroom and closed the door, it was just me and Seohyun now. We continued to watch TV but after a few seconds, Seohyun placed her food down and looked at me with a suspicious face. “Unnie, what did you really do while I was in the shower?”

I looked at her a little bit confused, “what are you talking about? I already explained to you what happened. She lost her balance and fell on top of me.”

“Ne, but didn’t you mention you were acting like a dog so that she’d give you food?”

“Ne, I was, I was just feeling a little playful at that time.”

She paused, “playful, or ?”

I was utterly shocked at what Seohyun just said to me. “Aye! What are you getting at? Why would you bring up ? Isn’t that going a bit too far?” I scolded her but in reality, she had the correct assumption.

“Forgive me, Taeyeon-ah, but that is a pretty move to act like a dog. Even Sunny-ah doesn’t do that when she’s doing aegyo.” She broke eye contact and focused on the TV as if she hasn’t even brought up the topic.

“Seohyun, mind your own business. What goes on between me and Sunny is between us two, we have our own ways of acting towards each other.” I felt like shooting myself after I said that, why did I even say something like that? Seohyun will definitely figure out our secret.

She blankly replied with, “Okay, Unnie, I get what you mean.” Her expression is hard to comprehend. Now I’m really worrying about Sunny and I, I bet she’s going to start a rumour between the other girls about us. A rumour that happens to be close to the truth, Otteoke.

“Seohyun, can you please just forget about what happened between Sunny and I?” I pleaded to her in hope that she would keep whatever theories she has about me and Sunny to herself.

Without looking, she gave a nod. Phew, what a relief, I do trust that Seohyun will keep it to herself, for now at least. Good thing ‘Intimate Note’ doesn’t air anymore, or I’ll be dead.

*****

It’s about time that the three of us went to sleep, so I called for lights out and wished both girls goodnight. I wrapped myself in the cosy thick bed sheet and closed my eyes tightly. I was determined to dream a happy dream of me and Sunny, something that will make my night.

I dozed off for a bit but about an hour later, I was half awake. I heard a squeaking sound on the other side of the room, so I looked over and saw a silhouette of Sunny sitting on her bed, looking out her window. I whispered her name loudly but she didn’t respond. So I quietly got out of bed and sneaked towards her, on the way I looked over at the maknae to check if she was awake. She had her earphones in, so I guess she was listening to some OST to help her sleep. I continued to tip toe towards Sunny, she noticed me and patted the spot on the bed right next to where she was sitting, so I sat next to her.

“Is everything alright Sunny? Can’t you sleep?”

She grabbed my hand gently and pointed out the window. Outside the window was beautiful view of the city lights. We could see over buildings and the roads filled with the bright yellow lights of the cars, the beautiful lights emitting from the shop’s neon lights. There were no stars out but the beautiful array of city lights make up for it.

“Daebak. This is such a wonderful view, I could look at it all night.”

“It’s beautiful isn’t it. Taengoo.” I looked over in her directions, the lights hits her face with many colours revealing her beautiful bare, natural face.

“Yes, you are beautiful,” a little smile grew on her face when she heard me say that. I shuffled closer to her and put my arms around her shoulders. The city lights may be beautiful but it won’t match up to Sunny’s smile. The Dandyu couple sat there on the bed, side by side watching the light show in the comfort of each other’s presence.

“I love you Sunny.”

She turned to me a bit surprised, I only realised what I just blurted out. Pabo. She giggled and replied back, “Taengoo, you’re too much in the moment.” She turned back towards the window and mumbled to herself. “I love you too.”

I pretended not to hear what she mumbled and continued to watch with her until we fell asleep together, right on her bed.