Chapter 10: Sunny's Night

It's Love - A Story of Sunny And Taeyeon

Taeyeon's POV

A/N: Sorry-ah~ Forgive for putting this off for longer than it needed to. I've been very busy with school and I've been slowly working on this chapter each night on the last week of school. Thank you for your paitience and I hope that this chapter will satisfy you. I'll try and get more chapters pumping out over my 2 week holiday. -bow-

I’m on my way back to the SNSD dorm after a long tiring schedule. I’m in the taxi, sitting there quietly in silence resting my head against the window. I’ve been really busy lately with work that I only get any free time on Sunday. It’s been a while since I’ve hung out with any of the girls that didn’t involve work. I’m tired, restless and on the verge of being super stressed out.

Hmm, I wonder what Sunny’s doing at the moment. My phone vibrated in my hand and I opened it to check the message, speak of the devil, of course it was Sunny. ‘Hey Taengoo, are you off work yet? Hope you’re staying hydrated,’ I giggled to myself and texted back to her straight away. ‘Yeah, I’m done for today, and don’t worry, I’m drinking plenty of water.’

I got a reply a few seconds later, ‘that’s good, glad to hear that. Do you feel like doing anything tonight?’ I personally felt like sleeping as soon as I got to the dorm but since I haven’t played with Sunny in a long time, I decided to accept her subtle suggestion to hang out. ‘Yes, Sunny, let’s do something fun. See you later.’ I added a kissy emoticon and a winky face at the end and clicked send.

My tired mood disappeared and I was excited and anxious to spend some time with Sunny. Even though I see her at least once every day, we don’t get any chance to actually spend it the way we wanted to. This might be the only opportunity to get some Dandyu time before I continue to work on photo shoots, CFs, panels, SNSD practices, etc. Aigoo, what a full on schedule that I’m getting these days.

*****

The taxi stopped right outside the building, I paid and stepped out. I reached the dorm room and inserted my keys into the keyhole but before I was able to twist it open, the door slowly opened from the other side and Sunny stood there with her beautiful, clean face. It looked like she just finished washing up. “Welcome back, Taengoo,” she greeted calmly but cheerfully, like a newly wedded wife.

A smile rose on my face as I greeted her back softly. I held my breath because on the inside, I was dying to jump into her arms and give her a really big hug. “Did you have a good day at work,” she asked out of nowhere. I shyly laughed and nodded my head, telling her it was fine. “That’s good, come on in Taeyeon-ah. I won’t bite.” She invited me into my own dorm and took the bag that I was holding and placed it on the counter. She walked up to me and gave me a generous, warm hug.

“Kim Taeyeon, we haven’t been with each other very often because of work. You need to make it up to me, you hear.”

“Ne, sorry about that, Sunny-ah. Let’s do something tonight, like we planned.”

“Good, ‘cause I have set up a little something for you,” she excitedly said, holding me by the arms. She locked her hand with mine and led me into the lounge room where she sat me on the floor on one side of the coffee table. She walked towards the kitchen and grabbed some items from the counter and brought them back to the coffee table. She stood a tall candle stick in a candle stick holder in the middle of the table and two small candles next to it.

“Here, be an angel and light them up for me,” she handed me a lighter and hurried back into the kitchen, where she brought out two small plates and some napkins and placed them on the table. I was in the midst of lighting the last candle when she leaped up and smacked the light switch off.

The candles were the only light source that was in the room and it created a very dim but relaxing atmosphere. “Don’t the candles look beautiful? They’re also petal scented,” Sunny announced proudly, “just don’t knock the tall one over.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll just move it off to the side slightly so it’s out of the way.” I pushed the candle carefully to my right and out of elbow-knocking range. I pushed the two small candles onto the other side, giving the area an even amount of light. Just then, music started playing from the stereo. I curiously looked over my shoulder and saw Sunny adjusting the volume of the system. “What are we listening to?”

“Ah, just a playlist of some OSTs of some old dramas that you might remember,” she answered, again sounding proud. The song that was currently playing was very slow and quiet but together with the candles, it started to feel like a very romantic setting.

I wanted Sunny to sit down with me as soon as possible so I called out to her and offered to give her a hand. “Aniyo, I’ve done what I needed to do,” she hesitated as she quickly sat her down on the opposite side of the table as me.

We both looked at each other with gentle expressions. I feel very comfortable when I’m with her, and I hope she feels the same way with me.

“Sunny-ah, the candles, the music. Since when were you such a Casanova?” I joked lightly.

“Just wanted to try something new, is it too much?” she asked biting her bottom lip.

“Not at all, in fact, I really love it. I’ve always seen this kind of setting in movies and stuff but I didn’t actually think that it’d would be this nice and well, romantic.”

“I’m glad you like it Taeyeon-ah. Y’know, I’ve been thinking and planning tonight for a week now, and I really hope you’d enjoy what I have to offer.”

“Don’t be nervous, Sunny-ah. I appreciate everything you’ve done for me, no matter what happens tonight, whether it all goes to plan or we burn down the building with this candle, I’m very thankful that I’ve someone to go home to, waiting anxiously for me.”

A bright smile was painted on her face as she shyly looks away and back at me, still biting her lip. Even though the candles are the only thing lighting up the room, Sunny’s smile is the brightest thing that I’ve ever seen. I leaned my head on my left hand and stare deeply at her with my love-struck eyes. The light bouncing off her beautiful skin created a beautiful glow, as if she was an angel that just came down from heaven. Sunny might look cute and pretty on stage but its times like this when her clean, natural face is such a precious sight that only a few are gifted to gaze at.

Sunny noticed me staring, lost in my world and giggles to herself. “Aigoo, what’s up Byuntaeng? What’s going on in that mind of yours?” she puckered her face and shook her head at me playfully.

“Wai- Wha-? Aniyo! You always think I have a dirty mind. What if for once, you suggest that I’m actually thinking of how beautiful you look and how much you mean to me?”

“I don’t know,” Sunny shrugged blankly, “are you thinking of how beautiful I am?” she asked with a straight face.

I paused, my face blushed from the thought. It’s the moody atmosphere that got me feeling lovey dovey, I promise.

She looked at me with a grin on her cheeky face. “Taeyeon-ah, it’s just us two at the moment. Everyone else is nowhere to be seen, be honest with me. How much do I really mean to you.”

I gulped hard and hesitantly stuttered, “I- you- me- well- a lot.”

“Be specific.”

“I mean, the whole world.”

“I mean the whole world to you?” she confirmed with a slightly confused tone, “Isn’t that vague?”

I was too afraid to suddenly confess my true love to her. So I looked around the room and remembered the plates she brought out. “I- uh- di- did you prepare something to eat?”

She sighed through her nose and tilted her head at me. “Are you hungry?”

I pouted my mouth cutely and nodded my head at her.

“Ah kay, I’ll get something to drink first. Close your eyes.”

“Huh?”

“Close em’,” she demanded as she squints her eyes at me.

I shut my eyes instantly like an obedient puppy, “Araso! Closed.”

*****

I hear Sunny’s footstep walk back and forth from the kitchen about three times before she whispers, “okay, you can open them.”

My eyes were hit by the orange toned candle lights as I opened them. The first thing I saw was the big bottle of red wine and then the two wine glasses accompanying it.

“Naww, wine? What’s the occasion, Sunny bunny?”

“Why would there need to be an occasion for two best friends to share some wonderful red wine in a candle lit room with some beautiful music?”

I looked up at her, holding back my smile. She obviously noticed all the things that she has said and what they really mean, you can see it in her face.

“A date?” I suggested.

“A date?” she repeated.

“Mhmm, why don’t we just call it a date?”

Sunny pours the recently opened wine bottle carefully into both wine glasses. “You know what, why not. Let’s call this a date.” She nodded her head boldly at me and stuck out her tongue cheekily.

I giggled and thankfully accepted the wine from Sunny. We both held our glasses high, “to dates,” I toasted.

“To dates? No, to us!”

“To us? I’ve heard that a lot. How ‘bout, to Dandyu!”

“To Dandyu!” Sunny and I clinked our glasses and sipped the sweet wine.

“I feel really special tonight, Sunny-ah, thank you so much for preparing all this for me, for us. And again, I’m very sorry that I had to work extra hours every day.”

“No need to apologise, Taengoo. I understand, I will support you no matter where you are and I will pray for you every night.”

“What do you pray for?” I asked.

“That you’re safe and sound, and that you’d come back to me as soon as possible. I miss my kid leader, I miss her so much.”

I puckered my face and bit my lips, trying not to let a tear of joy run down my cheek. But even an idiot could tell that I felt touched by her and her words. Sunny reached her arm over the table and her soft hands slowly and lightly down my cheek and onto my chin.

“You’re welcome, Taetae,” she whispered. “Oh, now close your eyes!” she exclaimed suddenly.

“Again?” I jokingly complained.

“Just for five seconds, I promise.”

*****

I instantly shut my eyes and started to count to five.       

“One… two… three… four…”

“Okay, open your eyes.”

“Wow,” I opened my eyes a bit surprised, “that was qui-“ A big, white box with a big, red ribbon appeared on the table right in front of me. On the box is a sticker that read, ‘To my one and only.” I looked up at Sunny after reading this, half not knowing what it is and half having a vague idea of what is inside.

Sunny sat behind it, leaning over so that only the top half of her face is peeping out from behind the box. “Well… aren’t you gonna open it?”

I sat there speechless, should I say something? Or should I just get it over and done with? I’m guessing its edible so, what else could it be.

I carefully and slowly untied the neatly tied ribbon and lifted the box open. Just as I thought, it was a cake, but look how beautifully made and decorated it was.

“Omo- Sunny-ah, this cake is beautiful! Where did you get it?” I asked curiously.

“Oh, I made it myself, I hope it looks alright,” she answered nervously.

“Omo- Sunny-ah! Really? You- really? When? How?” I spat out question after question. I was utterly surprised that Sunny made such a high class looking cake.

“It took me a while to decorate, and I’ll be honest, I had some help by some experienced people at the cake decorating shop. I wanted it to look as best as I can make it with minimal help.”

I sat there staring at the cake, it was only until now that I had noticed the small writing on it.

“Go ahead, read it,” she instructed.

I moved one of the candles closer to the cake so that I could make out the words.

“To Kim Taeyeon,” I read out loud. “You’ve been my dearest friend for all these years. But it’s time for me to-“ I turned silent and kept reading in my head. ‘But it’s time for me to confess my love to you.’

I covered my mouth with both hands and read the last line. ‘I love you. –Lee Soonkyu’. I looked up at Sunny, she looked down at her lap with the reddest cheeks. I looked back down at the cake, I covered my face in my hands to hide my embarrassment and tried to comprehend everything I’ve read thoroughly. I repeated the message in my head, this can’t be real. It’s all a dream, isn’t it? Another dream. I started to cry from happiness, Sunny didn’t just prepare tonight as a date. She turned it into a love confession, for me.

I stood up from my seat still crying and paced back and forward, trying to calm myself. I turned around to Sunny and spread my arms out for a hug. She jumped up embraced me tightly.

“Sunny-ah! You really did feel this way about me? All this time, you’ve been secretly crushing on me. How could you!”

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon, I kept it a secret from you because of many reasons. I’ve always loved you, I still love you, and I will always love you, that is my confession to you, Kim Taeyeon.”

“Aigoo, why now?”

“Because I felt lonelier each day. And I decided that it has been long enough.”

I held her in my arms and me in hers, I turned my head to face her and kissed her softly on her cheek. I twisted my head around to the other side and kissed her other cheek the same way. Lastly, I leaned back and faced her straight on. She gazed at me deeply, her face was very cute and innocent looking, she was the vulnerable one. I was the one with the upper hand but I didn’t want to take advantage of her. Instead, softly landing my lips against hers and living in the moment, lost in love.

I rested my forehead against hers and whispered, “I accept your love, Lee Soonkyu, but there will be a time when it’ll be my turn to express it, the way I want. Until then…”

“Taeyeo- what do you mea-“ I kissed her again, gently but passionately, stopping her mid sentence.

Sunny confession has gotten me on my toes, but I didn’t want It to end tonight. Although tonight was a very special and life changing night, I needed to properly repay Sunny someday, soon. Until then…