Chapter 8: Jelly And Ice-cream

It's Love - A Story of Sunny And Taeyeon

Taeyeon's POV

Most of the girls are at the dorm, Sooyoung’s out filming something and Hyoyeon is out at some dance event. Other than those two, the rest of the girls are at a loss of what to do. All of us except Jessica and Yuri are in the living room, Yuri’s working on some school work and Miss Sleepy head is, well… you know.

“Hul, bored bored bored bored bored,” Yoona slurred with a dazed look on her face.

“It really does look like you’re suffering from boredom,” said Seohyun, “your face is really lopsided.”

“Lopsided?” Tiffany asked, “I don’t even...”

“Aigoo, there isn’t even anything to watch on TV at this time of day,” Sunny sighed.

“I bet Sooyoung and Hyoyeon are occupied and busy,” I added.

“Why don’t we all do something together? Let’s go out or something, we can’t just stay indoors and complain,” Tiffany suggested. No one responded straight away.

“If only.” Sunny said with a sad tone.

“If only what?”

“If only the atmosphere wasn’t so full of boring, I would actually jump out of my seat.”

Tiffany grinned a little, “C’mon Sunny-ah, I’ll pull you up. C’mon guys, the rest of you, get ready, we’re going to the park.” She forcefully sprang off the floor and started humming the tune of ‘Merry-Go-Round’. ‘Merry-Go-Round’ is my favourite SNSD song, so I too joined in the humming, except with ‘las’.

Soon, we were all off our butts with at least a little of hint of a smile on our faces. It was not long until the whole dorm was filled with the voices of SNSD singing ‘Merry-Go-Round’ in an upbeat tone.

*****

We have arrived at the park which was only a few blocks away, we even managed to convince Yuri and Jessica to come along. It was hard, apparently they were dying to get out of the house as well. Now that we are outside, the mood has definitely lifted and everyone is enjoying the sun.

“Let’s walk around and see what we can do.” I suggested, everyone agreed and walked skipped along the path, hand in hand. This gives me a chance to have a casual stroll with Sunny bunny. I snuck up behind her and quickly grabbed her hand. “Soonkyu! Don’t you feel much better now that you’re outside.”

“Ne, ne, if it weren’t for Fany-ah, we’d all be inside living in the shadows like vampires.”

“Hehe, yeah, although I worry about getting my skin darker from the sun.”

“I’ve a solution,” Sunny ran off the footpath, dragging me along with her and underneath a tree. “Does anyone need sunscreen!?” She called out to the rest of the girls who looked back and joined us in the shade.

“Ah! Sunny-ah!” Yuri cheered. “Good thing you have some, I forgot to apply some earlier.”

“Hand it to me as well.”

Sunny poured some onto her hands and passed on the sunscreen bottle. “Taeyeon-ah, hold still,” I stood there with my arms and legs slightly apart from my body and she slapped dabs of it onto my arms and legs.

“What about you Sunny-ah? I can do it myself.”

“Don’t worry, I put some on earlier.” She rubbed her hands together and started spreading out the sunscreen on my left arm. I guess she totally ignored the part when I said ‘I can do it myself’, anything to get some skinship, aigoo, you’re so cute when you do stuff like this Sunny-ah. She continues spreading the sunscreen evenly on my other arms and legs, it was only know that I notice that Seohyun is looking at us funny. Gulp.

“Taeyeon-unnie, is there something wrong with your hands?”

Sunny stood up and turned to her defensively, “yah! Shouldn’t this be the maknae’s job? Would you like to continue from here?”

Yuri came up behind Seohyun and hugged her, “Seohyun-ah, don’t worry about them, skinship is normal isn’t it? Sunny’s just being thoughtful, do you want me to apply sunscreen to your milky skin?”

“Aniyo! I’m alright,” Seohyun drops the topic and waits patiently.

Phew, seriously, Seohyun is trying to get us in trouble. Anyway, I don’t think the rest of the girls truly know what’s going on.

“Done!” Sunny exclaimed brightly, “Let’s head out!” The cheerful bunny dragged me along to the front of the group and swung our arms high as we walked.

“Whoa Sunny, it was only an hour ago that you were gloomy from boredom, did you eat a bowl of sugar before we came out?”

“Hahaha, Aniyo, Taeyeon-ah, I’m just happy to be out here with the girls, it’s going to be fun!” she exclaimed, “especially with you,” she whispered. She playfully winked at me which made me blush a little. She’s right, today will be a fun day, especially with you Sunny-ah.

*****

All seven of us were laying on the grass in a star formation staring into the sky.

“That one looks like Pororo,” Yoona said as she pointed up.

“It looks more like a bald Santa Claus,” Jessica suggested.

“That’s because you both are looking at it from different perspectives,” I explained giggling.

“You know, I don’t think we’ve had a picture taken of SNSD in this pose, where we’re all in this star formation,” Yoona pointed out.

“Hmm, I can’t recall getting a picture like this either,” said Sunny.

“I’ll make sure to tell Manager-oppa that we need a picture taken like this.” I said.

The cool breeze swept over us as we continued to watch the clouds peacefully. I secretly reached over for Sunny’s hand and held it comfortably.

“What if the blue sky that I see isn’t the same colour as the ‘blue’ sky that you see,” I said out of no where.

“That’s deep Taeyeon-ah, and what if the sky isn’t really the sky? What if the sky is the ocean and we’re in the sky,” said Tiffany in an over exaggerated serious tone.

“What if that heart shaped cloud isn’t actually a cloud but my love floating around waiting to rain over the person that I am destined for?” said Sunny cutely.

“If that’s your love, that cloud over there is my pillow,” Jessica mumbled happily. “I can already imagine having a cloud as my bed.”

We all laughed at all the ‘deep’ thoughts we had about clouds and other thought provoking topics. It was such a fun, relaxing bonding session and I felt like I could lie in the grass all day.

*****

We continued on the foot path for something to do, we were walking through a big, open, grassy area when Tiffany stopped in her tracks. She took off her bag and brought out four plastic packaging. She walked over to Yuri, Seohyun and me and handed us a packaging each.

“I’ve bought us some kites that I found at the toy section at the mart. There were only four so we might have to pair up, hope they work well.”

“It should, there’s a pretty decent breeze at the moment and I’m sure it’s stronger higher up.” I said impatiently wanting to fly it straight away.

“Tiffany jjang!” The girls yelled out harmoniously. Tiffany smiled and we all paired up and started putting the kite together.

I was obviously paired up with Sunny, it’s not like I had a choice. My arm couldn’t help itself and linked arms with hers like magnets, we’re so attracted to each other.

“This is going to be so fun, I haven’t flown a kite in a long time,” she said excitedly.

“I don’t think I’ve flown a kite before, this will probably be my first time. I really hope the kite won’t drag me across the field or lift me up into the air.”

“Kekeke, don’t worry Taeyeon-ah, the lifting you up into the air only happens in movies. On the other hand, there is a possibility of the kite dragging you away.”

“Wha-! Really? Aigoo, what if that really happens? I’d be so embarrassed.”

“Don’t worry Taengoo, I promise that won’t happen,” she gracefully steps behind me and wraps her arms around my waist, “I’ll hold you like this so you’ll always be safe.”

The warmth of her body against my body just made me melt in her arms. For a split second, my legs lost its strength and almost let out an embarrassing moan. Sunny lets go off my waist and grabs my shoulder, shaking me vigorously.

“Balli! Balli! C’mon Tae Tae! Seohyun already has their kite made and are about to fly it.”

“Arasso! Sunny-ah, stop shaking me, I’m almost done. I just need one more thing.”

“What’s that?” she asked with wide eyes.

“Can you get my marker out of my bag? I want to write something on the kite.” She quickly scavenges through my bag and reaches for the pen at the very bottom, she hands it to me and I uncap it.

“I want to write something special on here, a little message that won’t be obvious at first glance,” I told her as I bite my lip.

“And that is?” Sunny asked engagingly.

“Something between us. Sunny-ah, do you remember what my nickname was when I was on ‘We Got Married’?”

“Ne, wasn’t it pudding?” She said confidently. I facepalmed and nudged her in the head.

“Aigoo, that was Hyungdon, I was Jelly!” I corrected her.

“Ah, sorry, it was a long time ago. What about it? You want to put Jelly and Pudding on there?”

“Aniyo, I want something else.” I looked at her and kneeled on one knee, I took her hand with mine and cleared my throat. “Lee Soonkyu, will you do the honour of being the ice-cream to my jelly?”

“Kim Taeyeon-ah! You’re so funny,” she laughed and gave me the biggest smile, “how long have you been planning this?” she asked jokingly.

“10 months, 4 days and 23 hours.” I replied along with my signature wink.

“It’s my honour to be you’re ice-cream, Taeyeon-ah, I’ll always be you’re ice-cream as long as you’ll forever be my jelly.”

“It’s a deal.” I stood up and gave her a generous hug.

*****

It took us a while to get our kites in the air but after half an hour, all our kites were flying high and dancing in the wind. We tried hard not to collide into each other’s kite.

“You know, this has been a wonderful day out.” Jessica insisted.

“We should do this more often, I’m so glad you convinced me to come outside.” Sunny called out.

“Fany-ah, we all owe it to you for the idea and the kites.” Yoona said nudging her.

Tiffany gave the biggest smile and raised her chin up. “From now on, you may refer me as Manager-unnie, Manager Tiffany or just SNSD’s manager.” She happily yelled out to us.

“Can anyone read what’s on that kite? The one Soonkyu is flying.” Yuri squints her eyes hard to decipher the text that I wrote on our kite, but in the end she could tell what it was.

I decided to give her a hand, “It has something to do with Jelly and Ice-cream.”

“Unnie, are you that hungry that you actually wrote that on your kite?” Seohyun grinned and shook her head.

“It’s not that I’m hungry, it’s because it’s my favourite thing in the world.” Sunny and I caught each other’s eyes. The Jelly and Ice-cream couple, from now on, we will be known as the Jelly and Ice-cream couple, but only between us two.