Chapter 11: The Big Screen

It's Love - A Story of Sunny And Taeyeon

Sunny's POV

A/N: I haven't thought about continuing this fic for a long time but I thought it was long enough so I decided to reread my fics and it inspired me to continue, I won't promise that I'll be consistent but I hope this is a start. Thank you to all who have read my previous fanfics and is still supporting me! Author-nim is back for I don't know how long.

It’s 10pm at the moment, I’m in my room all by myself, laying on the bed with my legs resting up on the wall. I let out a heavy sigh as I check the time on my phone for the fifth time in the past 3 minutes. I feel so bored, Taeyeon’s out doing something, I don’t even know what. She won’t answer my calls or reply to my messages, I don’t know what to do. I let out another long sigh.

“Bored bored bored, bored bored, bored to the max.” I repeated as I let my legs slowly skid along the wall and onto the bed, bringing my whole body onto my side. I really wonder what Taeyeon is doing at the moment, I haven’t seen her since this morning. I once again checked my phone with heavy eyelids, watched the brightness go dim then off before I close my eyes completely.

It wasn’t even 10 seconds that I had my eyes closed before I was startled by the sudden ringing that rung from my phone. I swung my whole body skilfully and sat on the side of the bed, leaning over. I answered the phone straight away with a cheerful tone. “Taengoo! How are you? I haven’t heard from you all day. I’m super bored. Come to my rescue!”

She giggled, “slow down, Sunny-ah. I’m doing fine, I was just busy with some of my schedules, I’m free now though.”

“Free? Where are you? I want to see you.” I shot so many question towards her, I wanted to see her so badly.

“I’m somewhere in the city, I don’t know exactly, just a building.”

“Where though?”

“I don’t know!” She giggled once more. “Hey Sunny, let’s meet up at the cinemas. I feel like watching a movie.”

“Movie?” My smile grew wider than ever. “Sure, no problem. I know which cinema you’re talking about. Have you decided what movie?”

“We’ll decide together when we get there, I haven’t really checked what’s out.”

“Arraso! I’ll see you there in about 15 minutes. Bye, Taetae.” I gave multiple kisses at the phone speaker as I listened to her faint giggling until she hung up. I held the phone close to my chest and swayed my torso around in a love trance.

I was the first one to confess my feeling to her out of the two of us, it’s been a while and I’m still waiting for her turn. I actually don’t mind all that much, she accepted my confession and took it heartedly. She didn’t reject me or make things awkward and although I don’t 100% know if she truly does love me as much as I do to her, I know that she does care for me. I can’t wait to see her.

*****

The cold breeze continues to sweep over me as I impatiently wait for Taeyeon-ah outside the cinema. I gander at the movie posters on the wall of the building and even got the chance to examine the credits that nobody cares to take notice of.

“Hmm, what a weird name,” I said to myself as I read the names of the cast. I puffed out my cheeks and looked around the area to check if Taeyeon was anywhere near where I was. I stomped in place, arms crossed tightly and complemented my puffy cheeks with pouty lips. Where in the world is she? It’s not my fault I’m 5 minutes early, she should’ve been here already.

I twirled around once and marched my way to the edge of the footpath to get a full view of either side. “Are you doing this to me on purpose, Kid Leader? Hul. She’s gotta be kidding me.” I played the ‘ba dum tss’ drum kit with my fingers as I awkwardly smiled at myself for making a pun. I dropped my head in shame and kicked the footpath, “this is how pathetic I am when I’m forced to wait for my Taeyeon.”

“No I’m not kidding you, Sunny-ah. I’m simply late, I’ll admit it, Sorry.” Taeyeon wrapped her arms around my waist from behind me and took me by surprise as soon as I heard her voice.

I tried to turn my head but instead glanced at her from the corner of my eye. “Taengoo-ah! Don’t worry about it, it is I who is early.” I made an ‘o’ shape above my head like a ballerina and spun myself around to face her. I dropped my arms and captured her in them, sharing my warmth with a hug. “Finally, I was waiting all day to hug you.”

“Doesn’t a hug feel much better when you haven’t seen them in person all day?” She suggested with a grin.

I looked at her blankly and gave a straight, “no, I’m the selfish kind who wants to hug you all day.”

She laughed and rocked our body to and fro, “you’re so cute, Choi Danshin.” She looked straight into my eyes with a soft side smile. I looked back into hers and instinctively leaned my head closer to her. She placed a hand over my lips and glared at me. “Sunny-ah, how many times do I have to tell you, not in public and cheeks only.”

I frowned and stomped my feet again, “Wae! I don’t like that rule, can’t you make an exception tonight?”

She shook her head immediately, “if I do that now, you’ll forever ask for exceptions.” Taeyeon lowered her head to try and catch my eye contact. I continued to have my head slightly tilted down and staring right at her collarbones. “Sunny-ah..” she tilted my head up by the chin, kissed her middle and index fingers and places it on my lips.

Even though it was an indirect kiss, it was still enough to put a smile on my face again. I grabbed her wrist gently with both hands so that she’d keep it there and I pressed my lips against her fingers. I closed my eyes slightly and used my lips to caress the fingers.

Taengoo looked at me half glad and half weirded out but I didn’t care, until she pulled away all of a sudden. “Ya..!” I called out unpleasantly but in a shy, soft voice.

She shook her head and held my hand instead. “That is enough for today. You obviously can’t control yourself.” What did she mean by that? Couldn’t she let me indirect kiss her a little longer? I totally had full control of my actions. As she dragged me along into the building, I saw my reflection in the glass door. Without a doubt, I looked super giddy and drunk. Aigoo..

*****

Middle back row in the middle column, those are the seats that the Ahjumma and I have chosen, the perfect seats. It wasn’t packed or crowded but there were definitely a few people scattered around the place. We both sat there, noisily munching away on our packet of milk biscuits balls because we both agreed that popcorn is getting old and stale for our taste.

I looked over to check on Taeyeon’s 3D glasses and she looked back to check on mine, I gave her a serious nod and she mimics me. It felt like we were girls in black, except we’re not wearing black and we’re eating milk biscuit balls.

“Taeyeon-ah, have you read any reviews for this movie?”

“Nope, it just looked interesting.”

“You said all the movies looked interesting.”

She paused for a second or two, “this one stood out to me the most.”

A horror movie, huh? Horror movies are good for two things, scaring people and getting people to be close with one another. I think we both know which one it is, she just doesn’t want to admit it. I let out an inaudible giggle to myself and looked down at the snack in my lap.

Byuntaeng looked over at me and looked at my lap as well. “Soonkyu, is there something funny about milk biscuit balls?”

“Nothing,” I paused for a bit before blurting out, “milk biscuit balls,” in a funny accent.

She snorted at my randomness and nudged me. “Don’t make me laugh like that, the movie is about to start.”

I tried to hold in my laughter and handed her the snack in attempt to get it out of my mind. Taeyeon just sat there ignoring me, there’s totally something wrong with me. I cleared my throat after getting it out of my system and looked up at the big screen watching the intro. I turned my head and glanced at Taeyeon and then back at the screen, she looked really engaged so far, I hope that she doesn’t just ignore me for the whole movie.

*****

It was about 20 minutes into the movie and I am just as engaged as my date is. I’ll admit, I even forgot that she was sitting next to me but she doesn’t need to know that. The story has been established, characters introduced and the scares are slowly getting more intense, this is my chance. Once again, I gave her a quick glance and then raised the arm rest between us. Taeyeon looked away from the screen to check what I was doing as she was still chewing on the snacks.

I shuffled my closer to her and wrapped my arms around her, resting my chin on her shoulder as I do. She felt frozen the moment I did that, no questions, she even halted her chewing. I whispered softly into her ear. “Taengoo-yah, I’m scared, and you’re hogging the snacks, feed me.” I explained and demanded softly.

She slowly took a milk biscuit ball and raised it up to my mouth, as she did that, I rotated my head to rest my cheek on her shoulder and took the snack into my mouth. Other than her arm and careful chewing, she still didn’t move a muscle. “Taeyeon-ah,” I whispered again, “actually, never mind,” I decided not to ask her why she’s so stiff, she’ll soon loosen up.

I continued to watch the movie with her knowing that no jump scare can scare me now that I’m close to her. I was wrong, I let my guard down and when I least expect it, the creature leaped out of nowhere and its sudden screech filled the whole place. I tensed up and constricted Taeyeon tightly than ever.

Taetae threw the packet of snacks onto the seat next to her and hugged me just as tightly, hiding her face in my neck. Out of both of us, I reckon I handle scary movies better than she does. She kept her face stuffed in my neck for a few seconds before she peeping out to see what was going on. That was so aegyo of her to do that.

Finally, she became comfortable and didn’t let go of me. I felt really happy and relieved but at the same time, I looked over at the seat next to her and pouted my lips at the snacks. It was no use, I couldn’t reach the milk biscuit balls so I ignored it.

The Dandyu couple stayed in each other’s arms for a while, using each other as a shield for when something scary pops onto the screen. It was fun and felt really ticklish every time Taeyeon hid her face in my neck. I may not have noticed it straight away but throughout the movie, I kept a smile on my face.

There was no verbal communication between us at all but the simple actions of hugging and hiding behind each other was enough to let me know that she trusts me to protect her and be her comfort teddy. At points, I felt like I wanted to ask her stuff or engage in the smallest of small talk but movies are a time of telling each other how much you love them through body language. I have still yet to tell her I love you in that language.

*****

The movie got to the point where the scares have quietened down and they were focusing on finishing the plot. I turned my head slightly to get a view of Taeyeon still hugging me and rubbed her arm softly. She sat up and looked at me, about a hand span away from me, her cheek was slightly red from squeezing onto me for a long period of time. I gave her an eye smile and cupped her red cheek, “there’s a red mark on your cheek,” I told her in the quietest voice.

She scrunched her eyebrows as a sign that she didn’t hear me. “There’s a red mark on your cheek I said,” I repeated for her a little louder this time. She still had the same look on her face and mouthed ‘what?’ at me.

I un-cupped her cheek and leaned in closer to her ear, instead of telling her what I really said, I sneakily landed a loving kiss on the cheek, pulling her into me by my arms around her neck. “I love you,” I added, “and movies are always an exception.”

I unfastened my arms but locked my hands together. She backed away from me, she had a face that looked as if she was about to scold me but it neutralized and she gave me a warm smile instead. This time both cheeks were red, not because I squeezed them or anything but because of her aegyo blushing. Looking at them made me blush myself and I pulled her in for more kisses on the cheek. In between each kiss, I breathed into her ear, “I love you,” I could tell she was enjoying it from the gigantic smile that puckered her cheek muscle and made her cheeks twice as kissable. So far, this has got to be my favourite part of the movie.

To be honest, our relationship with each other is kind of confusing, we both know that I love her deeply but only she knows the truth about whether she loves me. The impression I’m getting is very half-half, she seems to be accepting of my love but at the same time, she isn’t as in love as I am after confessing. Actually, the answer is obvious, she does love me but the real question is, will our love be strong enough to deal with the real world? Taeyeon will decide whether being together is right for both of us. For now, I will do my best to show how much I do want her. Best wishes for the both of us, best wishes for the Dandyu couple.