My Butterfly

Breathless

 

Gikwang with the BEAST members were in their waiting room. They were nervously going through their dance steps and lyrics of their debut song on their own. Gikwang was less nervous than the others since he had experience debuting by himself but still Leader Dojoon was putting a lot of pressure to the entire group. That is why the mood in the room was rather intense and nerve wracking.

Clapping to get everyone’s attention, Dojoon gathered the group together, “Okay everyone let’s put our hands in for a prayer and cheer!” Huddled together all 6 members said their prayers and shouted “Who are we?! We are BEAST! What do we give?! We give you the BEST!”

Stepping aside from the huddle, Gikwang kissed his lucky charm the ring he always wore on his left index finger. He was the last one to step out of the room. As soon as he stepped out someone from behind grabbed his vest and handed him something. While, that someone was wearing a beany hat pushed down below her nose making her face unrecognizable. Beast’s Manager immediately out of instinct grabbed Gikwang to step in front of him, blocking Gikwang from the strange person.

Opening his palm, Gikwang could see that the stranger handed him a small jewellery box with “Fighting!” written on it. Bewildered, he opened the box and found a dog tag necklace engraved with his initials and a small butterfly design on the side. Gikwang handed the box to their Manager, and glancing towards the person who gave it to him to give his thanks. But, he could only see the back of the stranger who was hurriedly walking to the exit with her head bowed down.

“What was that all about?” Yoseob announced behind Gikwang.

“You already have a sasaeng fan?” Dongwoon teasingly added. “I thought she was about to rob you.” Laughing at his own joke, Dongwoon patted Gikwang’s back.

“Hey guys lets go already it’s our turn.” Doojoon commanded.

Gikwang decided to not make too much of it. He was just sorry that he could not thank the fan or person who gave him this encouragement gift.

                                                                                ____^____

Back in their dorm, the BEAST members were tired yet were completely excited about their successful debut stage. So far the fan chants were loud and everyone seemed to have enjoyed the performance. All of the members except for Gikwang started reminiscing about their performance and experience of finally being on that stage.

Dragging his tired body to the room, Gikwang changed to his sleeping clothes and eased his way in a bunk bed.

Throwing a pillow on him, Yoseob said “Hey guys don’t forget about the sasaeng fan who gave Gikwang a present.”

Barging in the room, “Who could forget that!? That was totally epic! What was the girly butterfly design for anyway?!” Dongwoon added.

“Yeah what was that about? I wonder” Gikwang said “Who would think of giving a guy a butterfly engraved necklace.” Laughing, he grabbed a pillow and threw it back at Yoseob.

“Oh my, a butterfly?” Gikwang thought to himself. “It couldn’t be……”

-FLASHBACK-

“Ji eun ah!” Gikwang shouted as he turned his head towards Ji eun. Who as of the moment, was cheerfully watching butterflies flying around her. She was smiling widely like a little girl; actually she looked like a little girl with her pigtails and white lace dress.

“Gikwang shi! Come here and dance with us.” IU said urging Gikwang to join her with the butterflies.

“I don’t think dancing slowly will suit me. It’s not my style.” Gikwang said bashfully.

Grabbing both of his hands, IU pulled Gikwang towards her and started spinning with him around wildly until they saw the sky and trees around them in a blur. Bursting into laughter, they both dropped down to their knees on the grass and were finally feeling the after effects of being dizzy.

“That was so much fun! We were spinning too fast the butterflies could not keep up” IU said.

Looking at IU, Gikwang noticed her flushed cheeks and eyes that was sparkling like jewels. “How beautiful she looks sitting on the grass with butterflies flying around her,” Gikwang boasted to himself. “to think that she’s with me. She’s leaving me breathless”

 At that very moment Gikwang finally realized the meaning behind the constant beating of his heart when he was alone with IU.

“Is this love?!”, Gikwang accidentally said out loud.

Looking at him with a big smile, IU questioned “What did you just say?”

Shaking his head, “Uhh…I said nothing.” Gikwang denied, scratching the back of his head he blushed. “I was just talking to myself.”

Abruptly standing up, Gikwang extended his hand towards IU “I think it’s time we find your mother.” Pulling IU up and closing the distance between them, Gikwang boldly brushed away a grass leaf that was comfortably resting on IU’s head. Looking at IU directly in her eyes, “From now on whenever I see a butterfly, I will remember you” Gikwang said.

Turning her head the other way to cover her embarrassment, “I think will find Omma fully set up for a picnic, and yet hungry from waiting. Let’s hurry!” pulling her hand out of Gikwang’s grasp she ran.

-END OF FLASKBACK-

Suddenly remembering that incident, Gikwang exited their room and looked for their Manager.

“Manager Hyung!” Gikwang said after finding their Manager in their dorm kitchen. “Where is the necklace the fan gave?”

Startled, Manager Kim replied “It should be in the bag…..or somewhere”

“YAH! HYUNG!” Gikwang giving his manager a death glare said.

“Oh wait….” Grabbing something in his pocket, “Here it is. What is this about anyway? This isn’t your first gift from a fan. Why be so upset!” Handing the box to Gikwang, Manager Kim glared back at him.

Grabbing the box and walking towards the bathroom, Gikwang’s only silent haven in the dorm. He opened the box and lifted the necklace off the box for a close inspection. It was a butterfly engraved beside his initials. He could feel his heart beating again to the way it was when he saw IU under the sunlight with those butterflies.

“DAMN! I should not be like this! I’m not even sure it was her! I should not jump to conclusions!” Pacing in the bathroom and gripping the necklace in his palms.

“YAH! Gikwang ah!” Banging on the bathroom door Junhyung said “Hyung needs to us the bathroom!”

“Sorry Hyung.” Gikwang responded opening the door. “Hyung?”

“WHAT!” Junhyung shouted, “ah…sorry I really need to use the bathroom. I ate too much. What is it?”

“Can I barrow your cell phone?” Gikwang spoke extending his hand towards Junhyung. “Please?”

“Aish! Here!” Grabbing his cell phone inside his pockets and placing it on Gikwang’s open palm.

“Thankx Hyung! You’re the best!” Going to the balcony and closing the sliding doors shut, Gikwang dialled a number on Junhyung’s phone.

“Hello?” Someone answered on the other line. Putting the phone close to his ears Gikwang stood there just listening and breathing.

“Hello?” The person on the other line said again. Silence.

They both stayed on the line for ten minutes just listening to each other’s breathing.

Until the other person on the line finally said “I’m sorry I have to go. Goodnight.”

Gikwang stood there as if frozen or more like frustrated for being coward. “Pabo! I’m such a coward!” He said banging his free hand on the balcony railing. “To think that he had to pull a lot of strings to get this number, he even used Yoseob as an excuse. Making people believe he was a good friend by getting the number of his best friend’s ideal girl.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A word from ALANYA: 

Sorry for the late update. I was out of town for a week and was very busy. But now am back, hopefully you like this chapter! I will update the next chapter soon, to make amends for my late update.