I Found You

Breathless

 

“An aspiring singer…” Lee Gikwang thought, “…this girl was just too cute!”

 

Not wanting to let go of her hand Gikwang started dragging her inside the music store. The first thing that caught his eye was the guitar that was hanging on the wall. He grabbed the guitar, made her sit on the nearest couch and gave her the guitar.

 

“I just had the hunch that you knew how to play a guitar.” Gikwang told IU, blushing, she started lightly strumming the guitar. “I guess I am not wrong since it totally suits you.” Gikwang said as he sat on the couch across her.

 

“Uhm….what am I supposed to do?” IU said hesitantly.

 

“Since, I’ve performed for you. I want to hear your performance.” Gikwang said, trying to encourage IU to sing for him, he continued on saying. “Can you do it? You will win a prize if I enjoyed your performance.”

 

Without further hesitation, IU started plucking on the guitar and started playing “Officially missing you” by Tamia.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRnXskz0FqI

 

This was the song she sang at her father’s grave. Although, at that time she was holding back tears while she sang; this time she was actually smiling remembering the good old days she had with her father.

“Does this mean I’ve finally stopped grieving?” IU thought. Weirdest thing is this stranger who walked into her life 5 minutes ago made it happen. She was thinking of her future and actually forgetting losing her father, which in the first place she never lost. Since, he will remain alive in her memories and be by her side with God watching over her.

 

Playing the last chord, IU opened her eyes and saw Gikwang staring at her. She started blushing again.

 

“It was her 3rd time blushing in the span of how many minutes! She has to stop blushing!” IU told herself.

 

Putting down the guitar and straightening her skirt, IU cleared and abruptly stood up. Gikwang suddenly stood up himself since IU’s abrupt movements snapped him out of gawking mode.

 

“That was amazing! You’re not just an aspiring singer, you are a singer!” Gikwang said. “You don’t believe me? Didn’t you see me drooling at your amazing skills?” Lightening up the mood, IU could not help but laugh at Gikwang’s comment.  

 

“And her laughter was more addictive to his ears than her singing.” Gikwang thought… stopping the trail of his thoughts. He shook his head and remembered, “I owe you a prize! I’ll take you out for Ice Cream!”

 

While walking IU could not stop herself from checking out Gikwangs side profile, she definitely noticed that he had sharp, unique features but she could not call him a Flower boy. She only knows she was attracted to him, even intrigued by him.

 

Ice Cream turned out to be dinner and dinner had an extension because they met again the next day, accepting the offer of Mrs. Lee to go out sailing in the morning. Gikwang also joined Mrs. Lee and IU on their picnic together for lunch. This continued on becoming a habit.  Mrs. Lee left them in the afternoons, to be together on biking trips or swimming excursions.

Mrs. Lee did not mind Gikwang since he was putting a smile on her daughter’s face. To her, what’s important is for IU to forget her grief which was happening now because of Gikwang.

 

 

IU was having the time of her life. She never enjoyed days like this since her father died. Gikwang and she were instant best friends and partners in crime. They had so much in common besides their love for music, nature and having fun. They think alike; have the same awkwardness and the same type of humour. The only difference IU was more serious in life while Gikwang is more laid back and takes everything at ease, although he still works really hard to achieve his dream which was to be a singer.

 

On their 3rd day together they admitted to each other that they were Idol trainees while they were on a hot air balloon. They even exchanged horror stories in auditioning, performing and everyday trainee life.

 

Gikwang was actually in Jeju for training that was why he was doing street performances. He was with his Manager Hyung and they both took their vacation as well while working.

 

They sometimes walk on the beach hand in hand like it was natural, silently enjoying their surroundings, until Gikwang will have this mischievous look on his face and start splashing water at IU. They would chase each other by the shore until they grow tired and go find Mrs. Lee for food supply.

 

On their last night together, Gikwang had to perform in small private Pub. Mrs. Lee allowed IU to watch in exchange of having her watch also. After the performance Mrs. Lee was applauding way louder than IU.

 

“Omma, obviously enjoyed your performance” IU told Gikwang later, when they entered his dressing room.

 

“I will admit.” Mrs. Lee going towards Gikwang for a hug, “I am an official Ajumma fan of Lee Gikwang. You are most handsome when you’re on stage performing, very charismatic, very JJANG!”

 

 “Then its official you have accepted me as you Son in Law” Gikwang said half-jokingly. With this statement IU started blushing and unknowingly spanked Gikwang’s shoulders.

 

“OUCH!” Gikwang rubbing his shoulders, “Omma did you see what your daughter did to me?” He said pouting.

 

“Aigoo, Gikwang ah” Mrs. Lee said, pinching Gikwang’s cheeks, “I never said I accepted you as my son in law…only as an idol singer….but then if my daughter will allow it. I will also allow it and accept you wholeheartedly as my handsome son in law.” Mrs. Lee said, patting his head while Gikwang smiled back happily.

 

“So then, may I have your permission, Omma, to whisk your daughter away for a walk on the beach?” Gikwang extending her arm towards IU and bowing like a prince.

 

“Hmmm….” Mrs. Lee said, tapping her index finger on her chin, pretending to have 2nd thoughts.

 

“Drastic situations need drastic measures” Gikwang thought, sporting his best aegyo attempt while wiggling his . “Puhlease……”

 

Mrs. Lee and IU could not help but giggle. “Omma, let’s spare Gikwang from making more aegyos,” IU sighing, as if being forced, “I will voluntarily go with him.” Seeing Mrs. Lee nodding Gikwang grabbed IU’s hand and whisked her out of the PUB.

 

The night was beautiful. The breeze was cool yet warm and fuzzy on the skin. The stars are shining the brightest. Yet the situation was a little bit awkward for Gikwang and IU. IU never walked alone with a boy before and Gikwang never walked a girl home at night. So in other words this whole situation is new to them.

 

Gikwang was the first one to break the awkward silence “My plane leaves early tomorrow morning. This will be the last time I see you….well not unless we see each other in Seoul….errr…if you still want.”

 

“I…I” IU stammered as Gikwang looked at her with hopeful eyes, closing her eyes, “I don’t think that would be a good idea.” Holding her breath she slowly opened her eyes to see Gikwang’s reaction. He was obviously disappointed. “I..” IU forcing herself not to cry, “I think we need to focus on our careers…we are still young and if we are meant to be….will find each other again.”

 

“Ha….ha!” Gikwang who was fake laughing, exclaimed “Of course! We are young and we need to focus on our career and studies.” Swinging his arms, he slowly turned, trying to cover his facial expression from IU.

 

IU also a little bit disappointed from his response started walking quickly towards the hotel. Trying to hold her tears back, catching up Gikwang suddenly grabbed her from behind hugging her tightly. “After we become famous idol singers…not only will we find each…I will make sure to find you and never let you go.” Hugging her tightly, she was suddenly breathless.

 

Once he let go of her, she ran towards the hotel until she reached her room, unlocked the door and fell face first on the bed…then she started crying while Mrs. Lee hugged her and hushed her to sleep.

 

The next morning while checking out, the front desk personnel handed her a postcard with a string attached to it. On the string was a tiny shell pendant and on the postcard was a picture of beautiful Jeju scenery, while behind it was written:

 

“Officially missing you already… make sure to find me…- LG.”

 

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

Back to June the Present, IU remembered Gikwang’s last words that were written on the postcard. The same postcard that is still stuck on her bedroom mirror that led her here again.

 

“I am sorry I did not find you….well….you sure did find me.” IU mumbled.

 

“IU shi, what are mumbling about?” Mrs. Lee said, disturbing IU’s thoughts and looking at her weirdly.

 

“Nothing omma, I just said we had the greatest time in Jeju now and then.” Hugging her mom tightly she led her towards the ocean and started splashing water towards her.

 

They enjoyed their trip to Jeju until the next morning when they had to go back to Seoul.

                                   

_________^__________

 

By the beach in Okinawa Japan, Gikwang was tossing stones in the ocean while thinking “I finally found you again but it’s as if you did not want to be found.”

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A word from ALANYA: 

Peace offering for my late post of Chapter 4, it’s 12 midnight and I finally finished this chapter. Hope you like it y’all!