9| Day Lily

Day Lily

"One scrub... Two scrubs... Three."

The young boy muttered to himself as he was sprawled on the floor, cleaning the dusty surface. The super dusty surface.

It has been months since he was away from home, and here he was, doing the same things he would usually do back then. His mother didn't seem to have miss him. When she saw him outside her doorsteps, she had a curious look in her eyes. Her actions were different however, she tugged a smile on her face and gave her son a hug. It was a loose and uncomfortable hug.

"I'm glad you're home. You never wrote to us." That was because writing letters was old school and for Kyungsoo, she was only saying that so she could sound like a major actress, a main mom, whose motherly capabilities were over the top.

 

"Since you're here already." She handed Kyungsoo a sponge. "You can start cleaning."

"Where are the others?" Kyungsoo waited for a response but wasn't given one.

Minutes passed and his mother never told him where his father and his siblings were. When he went to his brother's room to get himself clothes, since all his stuff were still in the bastard's humble abode, he found out that they had left. Left, meaning that they were gone for good. The papers on the dinner table explained everything to Kyungsoo. Once he saw it, he regretted ever coming back home. His parents were now divorced, his siblings were with his father and he, was stuck with his fake loving mother.

 

----*----

 

"Where's Kyungsoo, darling?"

"How should I know?"
 

Kim Jongin came back home with his hair messed up and his face looking cold and sick.

It rained last night and he didn't come back to his residence until the rain stopped. It was stupid of him to do that, but he couldn't get a hold of himself. He was confused and angry at himself. He wanted to forget everything that had happened. The face of Kyungsoo crying still lingered in his mind and he regretted leaving him out in the cold.

'What am I saying, he should be safe at home now.'

Jongin went upstairs to where Kyungsoo used to stay. The picture he dropped juice on was on Kyungsoo's bed.

His smile faded as he got closer.

"This boy... How come I haven't even noticed?"

He continued to stare at Chanyeol's face, trying to etch memories in his head.

He has seen that boy before, but he couldn't quite place it.


'Why do I even bother.' He thought to himself before leaving the room and shutting the door for good. He wasn't going to let himself feel bad because of his actions. His girlfriend cheated on him. He was even going to give her a gift--his dad's car! And she goes and cheats on him? He was annoyed and irritated. He brushed his fingers across Kyungsoo's door with his back was pressed against the doorknob.

'Kyungsoo didn't do anything wrong.' He sighed. 'I've been a bastard to him.'

'He doesn't deserve my attitude towards him.' He continues muttering to himself as he goes to his room.

"What the heck was I thinking?"

 

And he closes the door and does not come out the whole day.

 

----*----

Kyungsoo looked out his window, his eyes never leaving Chanyeol's garden.

What was the reason for all these happenings?

And what happened to Chanyeol? How did he die?

Kyungsoo heaved heavy breaths as he combed his hair with his fingers thinking of any explanation. Yet he couldn't find any. He heard his mother on the phone and he fluttered his eyes shut as he tried not to listen to his mother's annoying voice. It was his father on the phone, and he must have left something because Mrs. Do kept shouting that she had thrown out everything.

'I should leave.'

Kyungsoo left.
 

He took his jacket and went out to the cold. He shivered but kept walking.

'I wonder how Kai is right now.'

Kyungsoo kept walking and walking until the garden's door was right infront of him. He twisted the door knob and went inside the garden. And then he sat down, he crossed his legs together and just sat down. He closed his eyes and tried to remember anything that can lead to Chanyeol's death.

There was none.
 

Chanyeol brought him home safely, so he must have not seen something when he went home.

What was it?
 

Kyungsoo.

What?

Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo's eyes opened to see him sitting down on the floor with legs crossed. This shocked Kyungsoo so he flung a pot at the spirit but the pot crashed on the floor and made a mess.

"Hey! That's mine!"

Kyungsoo's eyes were wide open.

"What the hell are you doing here Chanyeol?" Kyungsoo was still mad at him, more of confused but he was still mad at him. How could he bring him to Jongin of all people? His freaking girlfriend killed his bestest friend in the world! How dare she!

"Hi, Kyungsoo." His voice was deep and Kyungsoo was pretty sure he melted even if it wasn't summer.

"Do you have something to tell me?" Kyungsoo asked though he didn't want to. He had no plans to talk to a spirit, an angel or a ghost. Whatever Chanyeol was.

 

"I have another favor."

"What."

"Forget Jongin."

"What?"

"I made a mistake of bring him to you." Kyungsoo scoffed and shook his head as if to say 'I told you so'. "I was hoping you'll find out about my death." Chanyeol sighed.

"Didn't Kai's girlfriend kill you?" Kyungsoo looked into Chanyeol's eyes. "Oh right, she was your girlfriend too. How lovely."

"It was an accident, Kyungsoo."

"What? You ever meeting her or you ever bringing me to that bastard?"

"You're as stubborn as a mule, Soo-ah." Kyungsoo glared at the giant after hearing his pet name.

 

"I missed that."

 

----*----

"Jongin."

"What is it hyung?"

 

Jongin sips his milk without looking at his friend. Suho was the only guy that he could talk to whenever he was feeling lonely, dazed or out of his mind. Suho has this habit of making him feel at ease and comforting him. Maybe that's why they were close friends. Suho didn't care how mean or rebellious Jongin was, he only cared about Jongin himself.


"Kai." Jongin looks up finally.

"What is it hyung?"

"What did you want to tell me?"


Jongin sighed. He stared into his hyung's eyes for a few seconds before opening his mouth to speak.

"I did something wrong."

"You always do something wrong."

Jongin laughed. That was entirely true and Suho was the guy who cleans up his mess. But the meaning of wrong was far worse than Suho's meaning of wrong. Jongin was in deep trouble. And Suho might not be able to clean up this one.

"I... I killed a guy."

 


It was an accident. A mere accident.

For awhile, Jongin has let go of his past. He had forgotten everything.

It was a week ago.

Late at night he was going to pick up his girlfriend. He was going to surprise her with a car-- his dad was going to give him that car. But when he was nearing the venue, he sees someone, no two people. His girlfriend and another guy. The guy was tall and was incredibly handsome and cute. His curly hair was bouncing up and down because of the wind.

Jongin was furious.

She looked happy with him. They were holding hands tightly and she looks as if she was about to kiss him. It was late at night and since it was dark, Jongin had the scariest idea ever.

 

----*----

"You do know who killed you right?"

"Yes, yes I do."

"Then why won't you tell me?"

"Because then it would hurt you."

"Why would ot hurt me?"

 

"Because Jongin killed me."

"What?" Kyungsoo's eyes started to well up and tears started to fall.

 

"Take this and follow my instructions."

"But that's the last day lily."

 

Exactly. I want you to use it and... And forget everything.