New Office, New Relationship

So Close [completed]

Kim moved into her new office which was appointed to her shortly after arriving back to work. She was so happy for a couple minutes, forgetting about all the problems she had back at home. “Like your new office?”

Kim looked behind her and saw Melissa in the doorway holding a plant. “I love it. It was quite difficult to fake shock since you told me about a month ago, but yeah, I love my office.”

“I got you a gift. I know it’s small but I just wanted something to mark this milestone in your life.” She put the orchid on her desk. “You’re finally one of us. Anyways, how was your trip? I saw the press conferences and the game, both great; kudos to both of you.” Melissa smiled. “How are you both doing now that you’re back?”

Kim thought she was talking about something else, her eyes widened. “What?”

“Are you guys getting along? I’m sorry about the whole one room thing. With the phone call you gave me, I thought you guys would spend the entire month not speaking to each other?”

She relaxed, “We’re fine. I was overreacting. We came up with a solution, which actually brought us closer.” Kim made sure she wasn’t giving away too much information. Melissa continued to smile. “I’m going to assume you weren’t here to just give me a present. What’s up?”

The two years of being an intern to Melissa made the two of them to have a close relationship. “You know me so well.” She laughed and took a seat in front of Kim. “Okay, so when you were gone, I went to my doctor and I have some news….I’m pregnant!”

Kim stood up and hugged her. “Oh my gosh, congratulations!” Hearing her friend say she was pregnant brought her further into reality and made her wonder about her boyfriend’s potential baby. “It’s Matt’s right?”

She nodded. “Yeah. I told last night, when he came over and he said he’d be there whenever he can be. You know, the baby’s his first priority and since it’s in me I’m his priority too.” She rambled. “I just really wanted to tell you because even though we’re co-workers, I consider you an important person in my life, so I’m pregnant!”

“I’m so happy for you.” Kim hugged her one last time.

“I should go and um…get some work done.” She left the office and Kim was left alone.

She couldn’t help but remember Emma, and how she had a paternity test. Of course Emma knew the situation between her and Gerald, though it didn’t give her any right to call the pregnant woman up and ask about the results, so she left it alone, and decided to talk to Gerald about it. She smiled at the thought of his name. He was so understanding the night before and he was so supportive and held her when she needed to be held. It gave her even more reason to love him.

Now that she was back at work she knew there would be a risk with someone finding out, since it was no longer as easy as it was in New York where they needed shades and a hat to hide their identity. But she didn’t want to think about anything. All she needed to know was that Kim loved Gerald and Gerald loved Kim, and that everything else would figure itself out even though the solution wasn’t clear right at that moment.

Kim picked up the phone and dialled his cell phone number.

Gerald was in his car when his phone rang. He had his earpiece on and clicked a button. “Hello?”

“Hey,” Kim said in a sweet voice. “What are you up to?”

“Hi pretty girl.” Hearing her voice put a smile on his face. “I was just about to come see you. You?”

Kim smiled. “I just moved into my new office. Can you believe it, I got my own office with a window! A really big window.” She giggled.

“That’s fantastic. My baby girl has her own office. Does this mean our meetings can become more personal?” His voice insinuated something deeper in the meaning.

“Well, it leaves us with options.”

Gerald laughed. “Options is good. So guess what, my sister wants to have dinner with my new girlfriend. What does she think about that?”

“I don’t know, let her think about that. A public dinner in a public place with her boyfriend’s sister interrogating her – I think it has disaster written all over it.” Kim said. “A much as I love to hear some embarrassing stories about you and meet your family, I’m just not sure if it’s a good idea right now.”

“We can have it in my apartment. That way it’ll be as intimate as possible, and when she leaves maybe it’ll turn into a sleepover.”

She sighed. “You always know the right things to say. When is this supposed dinner taking place?”

“How about a week from now?”

“Sounds absolutely perfect. Anyways, I got to go. I have some paperwork to fill out.” Kim said.

“I’ll pick you up after work?” Gerald asked.

“I have a car, I can drive myself. And it may look suspicious if my client is picking me up from work and driving me home.” Kim said.

He smiled. “So professional; how about I pick you up at your condo for dinner? I’ll be the guy with a cap and shades on.”

“Can’t wait. See you then.”

“Kim, I love you.” He said.

Her smile widened. “I love you too.”