Plans

So Close [completed]

(I sort of lost this chapter, so I have to rewrite it. I apologize because I know that some people liked the way it was written the first time and everyone knows how nothing can beat the first in everything. I’m going to try my best to recreate it in a better way, maybe to give all more of a visual, but no promises. I hope I do everyone’s memory justice of this chapter.)

Gerald and Kim were on their way to his parents’ house. She could see his grip tighten around the steering wheel. How bad could one’s parents’ be? He helped her get over the resentment she held for her mother, why couldn’t he do the same for his father?

 She put her hand on his arm, and he looked at her. “Babe, calm down.” She told him. He removed one hand off the wheel and intertwined their fingers. “It’s going to be okay.”

 “No. It won’t be. Trust me on that.” He drove into the longest drive way she’s ever seen, and ran to the other side to open her door. He took her hand and helped her out.

 “Babe…” He didn’t respond, “Babe, my hand. You’re starting to hurt me.” She chuckled.

 

He let go and stretched his fingers. “Sorry.”

 

“It’s okay.” She linked her arm around  his, and rested her chin against his arm. “Calm down, baby. I’m right here. And I’m not going anywhere. Whenever you want to go, we’ll go.” She reached up to kiss his cheek and he smiled.

 

He opened the door and her jaw dropped. It was the biggest foyer ever! “You lived here?” She said in disbelief.

 

“Yup. It wasn’t that bad considering I had the whole fourth floor to myself.” He said, letting her take in the size.

 

“Fourth floor?” She said, about to walk up the spiral staircase. “Now that I need to see.” She stretched out her arm so he could take it. He did.

 

He led her up the stairs, to the fourth floor. “Now I can see why you’re so fit,” she joked, putting her hand on his hard abs. She looked around and it looked like Gerald. Basketball memorabilia everywhere. Basketball hoops, cards, balls, pictures of him throughout his childhood and even jerseys with autographs. “You got it bad, didn’t you?” She laughed looking around. “This screams ‘Gerald’.”

 

Kim walked to a corner of the room which had a large, framed picture of Gerald who must’ve been no older than eight years old. He was holding the basketball and about to shoot. She laughed at how happy he looked. “You look so cute.”

 

He went behind her and wrapped his arms around her, putting his lips against her ear. “Maybe that’s what our son would look like.”

 

“Thinking about our kids already?” She laughed, her eyes fluttering closed at the pleasure his lips brought her.

 

“What can I say, you make me think about a lot of things.” He nuzzled her neck.

 

She giggled at his touch, and turned around so he could continue using his lips with hers. She put her arms around him and intertwined her fingers behind his neck.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I thought I heard voices up here,” an older woman’s voice sounded behind them.

 

“Oh God,” Kim jerked back and covered her face in her hands, running behind Gerald.

 

Gerald laughed embarrassed, “Mom!” He exclaimed.

 

Kim looked up and looked at her. She did look like Gerald in a way. Same brown eyes, same smile, same colour hair. She just caught by her boyfriend’s mother.

 

“My boy!” She held out her arms, and Gerald went to her and hugged her. He was taller and much more stronger than she was. If she didn’t know any better, he looked like he had her in a death grip. “I’ve missed you.” He held her beside him. “And you must be the woman my children are constantly saying is keeping my son happy.”

 

Kim blushed. “It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Anderson.”

 

“Tita,” she corrected her. “Dinner’s ready. You guys should wash up.” Evangeline ordered, walking back down the stairs.

 

Gerald held out his hand and she took it. “I think the first meeting went well,” she laughed, walking with him.

 

Kim, Gerald and his mother all sat down at the dinner table, and Evangeline served dinner. A couple minutes later, a man walked in who Kim assumed was Gerald’s father. The moment he walked in, she felt the tension in the room grow thick. He didn’t say a word, probably didn’t even notice he had company. All the laughter and story telling that had been going ended, and she didn’t expect it to come back.

 

“Honey, Gerald brought home his girlfriend,” Evangeline said to her husband.

 

His father looked up and scoffed. “Are the rumours true?”

 

Kim stayed quiet, and grabbed onto Gerald’s hand. “Not now, Dad.”

 

“Why not? Is this the girl you got pregnant and the tabloids are writing about?” His father said.

 

Kim put her fork down, and sighed, looking at Gerald’s who jaw tensed up.

 

“I said not now, and not that my life is any of your business, that baby you heard about isn’t mine. Kim’s my girlfriend now, someone who I love.” He smiled.

 

His father scoffed once again. “Not my business? I’m your father, and you’re not going to be talking like that to me in my own house.”

 

“Stop it,” Evangeline said, grabbing onto her husband’s hand.

 

“Um…maybe we should just eat dinner.” Kim suggested, squeezing Gerald’s hand.

 

“My father?” Gerald started again. “Being a father takes more than just DNA, Dad,” he spat the word. “Being there for your son, loving your son no matter what, supporting him no matter what. Something you obviously know nothing about.”

 

“Maybe we should go,” Kim said, standing up beside Gerald.

 

Evangeline sighed, “Please. Can we just have a family dinner without another fight.”

 

“No, if they want to go, they should go. I’m not about to be disrespected in my own house.” He looked down and began eating. “And take your new victim with you,” He said about Kim.

 

“That’s it!” Gerald said, coming into her defence.

 

Kim shook her head, “I realize I’m a guest in this house, but you should treat me with respect, Mr. Anderson.” She started. “I get it, you’re not proud of your son’s career choice, but you don’t have to be. This Gerald’s life, and he gets to choose whatever he wants to choose without your approval. You’re blinded by your feelings, your disappointment that you don’t even see how amazing your son is.”

 

“You mean the tabloids saying how he’s a father yet screwing you on the side?”

 

She laughed, despite the hurt those words hit her. “Yeah, well maybe if you were more involved in his life, then you could be a little more grateful. But wait, your son turned out perfect with you. So instead of being disappointed in him, you should be disappointed in yourself. What kind of father allows his kid who lived under his own roof to raise himself. You think he doesn’t deserve Mr. Big Shot Father who won plenty of awards; you don’t deserve him as a son. And even he turned out to be a father, from this one dinner and from actually knowing him, he’d be a better father to his kid than you ever were to him.” She took her purse in her hand. “I’m sorry, Tita. Dinner was delicious. Hopefully we’ll see each other again.” Kim kissed Evangeline, and waited for Gerald to do the same when they left the house.

 

“Wow, was that my girlfriend in there?” He asked twirling her around.

 

“I have no idea what came over me.” She laughed, hugging him and kissing him. Thunder rumbled above them. “It looks like it’ll rain.”

 

“Mmm, really. Maybe we can have dinner on a rooftop somewhere,” he suggested.

 

“Gerald!!! Gerald!!! Thank goodness I caught you!” Jen ran out, and grabbed onto his arm. “I have this emergency at work and I need to run in for awhile. Can you please baby sit Jake? I’m desperate!”

 

Gerald shook his head, “Sorry Ate, I already had plans.”

 

Kim smacked his chest, “Ate, we’d love to. It’s not a problem.” She smiled.

 

“Thank God. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I’ll pay you guys back.” She ran to her car and backed out of the driveway.

 

“You have no idea what you just got yourself into.” Gerald said, pulling her towards the back house.

 

They both entered it. “Back house? Are you kidding? My whole condo can live in here,” she exaggerated.

 

“Take a seat, let me just check on my nephew.” He kissed her forehead, and walked up the stairs.

 

Kim looked around and heard thunder and lightning outside. She the TV and saw that there was a severe thunderstorm watch going on in the city. She turned it off, and called Erich making sure she was okay.

 

A couple of minutes later, Gerald came back downstairs, his shirt ed at the neck, and sleeves rolled up. “Okay, little boy went straight to sleep and he’s knocked out because of the cold he has. Which means, more time alone with you.” He sat beside her on the couch and took her hand in his.

 

“I’m sorry about the dinner” she said. “I know how much family means to you. Your father didn’t have a right to say those things.”

 

“Especially to you. That’s so humiliating. You know, the man who raised me treats you like that, treats his own son like that.” Gerald said. “I mean, all my life I’ve tried to do what he wanted me to do. And then this one decision changes our whole relationship. Sometimes I think that I am the biggest disappointment.”

 

Kim shook her head. “Stop it. Forget about what your father says. He doesn’t know you. He doesn’t know your heart. Come on, that guy in there is so off base, he doesn’t even think you have one! And you feel more intensely than anyone I’ve ever met, Gerald. You are a kind and loving man who deserves all this success because of what you had to go through. And if you don’t believe anything else that comes out of my mouth, believe that.”

 

“I remember graduation day, I found out I got a scholarship in the States. He tried to make not go, saying how if I did I was no longer his son. I think that was the first time I cried in my room. My Mom came to me and said she supported me; that she’d support me enough for the both of them. That one day my dad would turn around. He hasn’t yet.” He sighed. “He makes me feel like I’m this disappointment, not worthy of anything. You know I fight back, but inside it tears me apart. So I built a life on my own. Independent, and my job became my priority because I don’t have a home. The bottom line is, I failed my father, which makes me wonder that I might fail you.”

 

Kim shook her head, “Are you cheating on me?”

 

“No,” he answered immediately.

 

“No. Would you?”

 

“Never.”

 

She nodded, “Have you ever lied, used me, treated me like I was cheap or irrelevant?”

 

“No,” he answered.

 

“Than what makes you think you could fail me?” She asked him.

 

“Because of who I am; who my family is.”

 

Kim sighed, “You are not your family. You are Gerald Anderson, award winning, chart-topper, amazing role model basketball player. I fell in love with you way before I found out about your family. I love you despite your family,” she chuckled. “You think you’re so damaged. But when I look at you, I see everything, but damage. I see an extraordinary human being who feels as profoundly as anyone I have ever known. I experienced your capacity of love everyday. I saw it in your eyes, and I felt it in your touch since the moment we arrived in New York. So do not let your father who doesn’t even know you, dictate you happiness, your life, because I know better.” She assured him, pressing her lips against his.

 

She rested her head on his chest, and felt his heart beating in her ears. The sound of thunder, lightning and rain hitting the window distracted her. “Okay, the storm looks like it’s getting worse.”

 

“Yeah, but it’ll pass. All we have to do is wait.” He looked to her, and she smiled when he began leaning in and kissing her with hunger spreading in his body like wildfire. He pulled her against him, and traced her lips with his tongue.

 

She pulled away. “No, we can’t.”

 

“What?” He said disappointed and clearly irritated. “Why not?”

 

“Why now? Your nephew is right upstairs, and he could come down any minute, and that’ll be a little weird, especially your sister could come home too. It’s not a good time.” She explained.

 

He sighed, “Fine. You’re right.” He leaned back on the couch, and rubbed his face.

 

Kim nodded and curled her legs underneath her and rested her chin on his shoulder. “Wait a minute, or…or…”

 

“Or, yeah?”

 

“Or…there are what three other rooms here? And you said it yourself, your nephew is sick, and probably is knocked out for the night. We could have all the privacy we want.” She changed her mind, smiling at him. “I’m changing my mind if you’re changing yours,” she raised her eye brows. She got up from the couch and pulled his arm.

 

“No, you’re right. Jake is up there and he’s sick. And my sister could be home any minute now.”

 

“I don’t care!” This new attitude of hers showed how desperate she was to be with him now. Her body aching for him. “Ge, I don’t care! Okay, we’ll be quiet!” She said pulling him, but he wasn’t moving.

 

He shook his head, “You’re never quiet.”

 

Kim laughed, “Come on, where’s your sense of adventure?!” He pulled her back onto the couch.

 

“Can we please put this on hold until we get home where I can do whatever you want in my bedroom,” he smiled, liking the sound of that. “And we can have all the privacy in the world.”

 

She rolled her eyes, “Okay. But I don’t know. It looks like it’s going to be a long night.”

 

“Which is why we need a distraction. My sister should have something in here.” He looked around.

 

Kim raised her eyebrows, showing him it was still up for grabs. He wasn’t budging. “Fine.” She sighed, hitting him on the chest. She walked around the living room and found a game box. She opened it. “Oh! How about a game of…dominoes.” She took the box and stood in front of him. “I, Kim Chiu, challenge Gerald Anderson to a game of Dominoes.” He looked down amused. “What? You’re not feeling confident enough to take me on.”

 

“I’m going to win.” He said with confidence.

 

“No, you’re not.” She sat down, and pulled the tables close to them on the floor. “Actually, I’m so sure of myself that I’m going to raise the stakes. Every round you lose – because I’m going to win – you have to take a shot of…tequila.”

 

“So you’re trying to beat me and get me dunk?” He clarified.

 

“Oh yeah, I’m going to do whatever it takes.” She smiled and kissed him. “Game on, babe.”

 

An hour passed, and Kim another shot of tequila, shaking at the feel of burning. “Alright, you win again!” She swallowed it and looked at Gerald beside her who was smiling. “Are you cheating?”

 

“No!” He answered for the third time.

 

Kim shrugged, still feeling the tequila in . “I think you are because it’s like you know the right dominoes to pick. So I either think that you are can see through these things,” she picked up a piece and looked at it from underneath. “Or you’re probably psychic or something like that because…” she rambled. “But you know what, I don’t care, because you better be prepared to play all night in your sister’s su casa because I am not going to stop.” She started laughing.

 

He laughed also at how drunk she was. She was a light weight, and the tequila was not helping her. “I won every game. You had six shots of tequila, we had some wine. You need to stop.”

 

“Okay, well…” she poured another shot of tequila. “I’m not going to stop. You either going to play another round…or…concede the match.” She held the shot glass in her hand.

 

He looked at her with actual concern. “Babe, what are you doing?”  He said, holding he arm still.

 

“Ge!” She burst out laughing.

 

“Ew!!! You spit on me, you nasty!” He said, laughing hard at her.

 

Kim looked at him laughing, “I’m on a losing streak! Okay, I’m on a losing streak. I’m sorry I spit on you, I’m on a losing streak. So why not save us some time, and I’m gonna have myself another shot of tequila.” She said staring at him.

 

“You need to stop. You’re going to get sick!” He reached for the glass.

 

“Okay, then. Do a girl a favour and concede the match!” She told him. “Concede!’

 

“That’s blackmail.” He answered her.

 

She let go, giving him the glass and stared at him, holding her smile back. “Hey, whatever it takes, right?” She leaned in close to him, and starting touching his face with her index finger. “Three words. 1,2,3. You know you wanna say ‘em,” she slurred. “‘You…Wiiin…Kiiim!’ Say them.” She pulled his face towards her so he looked at her. “Say them.”

 

“Okay.” He sighed smiling at her face. “You win.” He whispered.

 

“Yes!!!!!!” She yelled. “Yes,” she repeated quieter remembering the little boy sleeping. She wrapped her arms around his neck, “I win. I told you I was going to win.” She stood up, and pulled him up against her, walking backwards towards the bedrooms upstairs. She lost her balance and fell on the floor, and Gerald fell on top of her laughing. He braced one arm up, supporting his weight and leaned down to kiss her.

 

But once she close her eyes, she turned to the side, and her breath evened out, and when he looked at her, she was passed out. He laughed at her, and put one arm under her knees, another on the small of her back and lifted her up in one swift motion, laying her on the couch.

 

He took a blanket and put it on top of her, while he cleaned up after them.

 

His sister arrived shortly, surprisingly dry. “Everything okay?” She asked, looking at an unconscious Kim. “Is she dead?” She teased.

 

“Ha…Ha. We raided alcohol cabinet, by the way.” He said, carrying the glasses to the kitchen.

 

His sister Jen nodded sitting on the loveseat. “How’s my son?”

 

“Sleeping. I’ll get out of your way, just…um…I have some news.” He said.

 

“Okay, what’s bro?” She chuckled.

 

Gerald took a deep breath. “I’m going to ask Kim to marry me.”