untitled

So Close [completed]

Kim woke up when the sky was still dark. She was able to sleep for a couple of hours, and from the look at the clock, it was 4 hours to be exact. Though everything was perfect, she couldn’t help but feel the opposite.

She could feel Gerald’s arm loosely around her, and found it easy to step out without disturbing him. She stood by the window, and sighed. Kim took Gerald’s shirt that was on the chair in front of her and put it on. It barely covered her bare legs, but who cared, it wasn’t like she was embarrassed. She watched Gerald sleeping on the bed; he had a peaceful expression on his face, somewhat happy. It made her smile.

Why was she feeling like this? There was something in her body that was tense, which made everything else in her body tense up. She made her way down the stairs. Although it was only her second time on the house, she already felt accustomed to it. Kim opened his sliding door and immediately felt a cool gust of wind blowing against her face. She sighed; it already made her feel somewhat better, and the smell of his cologne lingering on his clothes helped even more.

Kim closed the door slightly, leaving it a bit opened in case she locked herself out and took a seat on one of his patio chairs. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a second feeling the breeze along ever inch of her bared skin. The cool air reminded her where she was and made her she wasn’t dreaming. She curled her legs close to her body and felt her body relax. This was her favourite way of thinking: relaxed outside with no distractions and the soothing darkness above her.

She knew she had no reason to worry. Gerald was right, nothing bad could happen to her. And the worst possible thing that could happen was that she may be fired, but she’d still have Gerald with her. And she could find any other PR jobs; Hot Zone wasn’t the only agency in the world. Or maybe she could go back to school and get her Master’s Degree. You know, maybe this all a blessing in disguise.

Gerald put her out of her reverie when he touched her shoulder. “You’re up early. Are you okay?”

She smiled genuinely. “I’m great, actually. I guess I never really got a chance to really think in awhile.”

He sat in front of her, and put her legs on his lap. “A penny for your thoughts?”

Kim laughed, “I don’t know, it’s just I’ve been thinking about this meeting with Janice, and if I get fired I know I’m going to be okay. I’ll have you, and I was even thinking about going back to get my degree.” This caused a new excitement within her which made some part of her want to get fired, but that was crazy talk.

He smiled, “Well don’t get too ahead of yourself, you’re not fired yet, and you won’t be.”

“I know, I’m just saying that I guess I’m going to be okay for whatever the outcome is, you know what I mean?” She yawned.

“So you needed to think about this 3 in the morning? If you were so worried you could’ve talked to me. I wanna be that person in your life; the person you go to when you’re worried, the person you want to go to, even feel like you need to go to.” He leaned forward, kissing her softly.

“Don’t worry, you are that person.” She assured him touching the side of his face. “But I needed to do this on my own, you know? I guess I am beginning to rely on you, but I miss my independence. I used to always make my decisions on my own and not consider anyone’s opinion, but now my mom’s in town, and I have a boyfriend, so I guess I’m just saying that I feel like I’m already changing and I still want to keep a small part of myself; even if it’s at 3:30 in the morning with my boyfriend right upstairs.”

“Just as long as you have no regrets.”

Kim shook her head confidently, “Absolutely none in my head right now.”

“Well, do you want to go to back upstairs and go for round 2?” He joked, rubbing his hands on her bared legs. “Have I told you how gorgeous you look, partly because you are wearing my clothes?”

She laughed getting up and grabbing his hand. But Gerald had a mind of his own, and threw her over on shoulder, practically running up the stairs with Kim laughing.

Kim only had about two hours of sleep before she needed to get back up. She used the shower first and got ready with the clothes Erich brought over, he even had a make-up bag with all the make-up she used; Erich must’ve bought it when she was out. She put lipstick on her lips and looked at her reflection. “Ge! You think I look desperate? I don’t want to look like I’m begging to keep my job.”

He stuck his head in the bathroom. “You look great. What time is this meeting?”

“I’m not sure, Mel texted me that I should go when I get there.” She fixed her hair and stepped out. “You ready?”

“Yeah, let’s go.” He led her to the car and drove over with their hands intertwined.

Gerald pulled over right I front of the building. “So you want me to pick you up later or something, maybe after my conference?”

Kim nodded, “Yeah.” She forced a smile.

“Hey,” he squeezed her hand, “Everything’s going to be fine, okay?”

She nodded. “I know. I’ll call you, okay?”

He nodded. “I’ll see you later.” He leaned forward to give her a kiss.

Kim got out of the car. She walked into the half-empty building. The only people in the building were the secretaries who had to be in a work an hour before their bosses came in. As she walked in she saw Janet’s light on in her office. Kim immediately stopped and took a deep breath. She had no reason to be freaking out, whatever happens will happen, no reason trying to stop it. Kim took a deep breath before continuing. But was stopped. “Kim, can I see you in my office?”

She paused and looked at Janet who was sitting at her desk. “I’ll be there in a minute.” She went into her office and put her bag down on her desk. She took a look at herself in the mirror, but then stopped. “What’s wrong with you Kim, just go in there and have a civilized conversation with her.” She pulled her hair back and walked into Janet’s office. “Good morning.”

“Good morning,” Janet replied smiling sweetly. “How are you this morning?”

Kim forced a smile. “I’m…okay I guess.”

“I suppose you spoke to Mel,” Kim nodded. “And you know what this is about?”

“Okay, before you begin, can I just say something?” Janet sat on her chair waiting. “I understand if you’re angry….well maybe not if, you are angry with me, and I totally don’t blame you. I broke one of the rules you take very seriously and I understand what you need to do. I just want to take this moment to thank you for this opportunity and I want you to know how terribly I sorry I am.”

Janet smiled slightly, “Have I ever told you how I met my husband?” Kim shook her head. “Well it was 15 years ago; I worked as his secretary for 3 years before he asked me out on a date.” She walked to the front of her desk and sat on the desk, “His father was the head of the company and when he found out we were dating he was FURIOUS with the both of us; even threatened to throw his own son to the curb.” She laughed, “So I decided to break it off. He disagreed with me, he said he didn’t care about his job just as long we were together; now this was about four months into the relationship. I truly loved him, and I decided it was worth a shot. We continued with the relationship for a year, and it was so hard because I felt s guilty. But then he proposed. The day before the wedding, I went over to his house and said that I was sorry, but he needs his father now more than ever, and just because he fell in love with me doesn’t mean that he loved his father any less.”

Kim smiled, “So what happened?”

“His father attended the wedding, and they don’t have the same relationship they did before we met, but some reason it seems as if they understand each other more.” Janet ended. “So yes I was angry at first, but I understand what it feels like to fall in love with someone you’re not really supposed to fall in love with.” Kim chuckled, raising her eyebrows like she was nodding her head. “But I’m not going to fire you.”

“You’re not?”

“Of course I’m not. I may seem like a , but I do have a heart.” Janet laughed.

Kim shook her head, “You’re not a .” But Janet looked at her. “Okay, maybe on deadlines,” she laughed.

“Look, I’m not going to fire you, but you will have a consequence since you did fail to follow rules. You’re on probation. That’s saying that you’re going to be doing more paperwork than field work.” Kim nodded, paperwork was better than being fired.

She smiled at Janet, “Thank you.”

Janet returned the smile. “You’re a valued team player, Kim. Don’t make me regret this decision.” Janet winked at Kim and left her office, entering her own.

Melissa was already sitting on her chair. “I thought I’d get here first before you did. So what happened?”

“I’m not fired, if that’s your real question.” Kim smiled. “But I am on probation. I need to prove myself that I am not losing my commitment to the agency, and I can assure I’m not.”

“That’s great! I’m so happy for you! Actually more happy for myself, considering that I’m going need so much more help now that I’m….ENGAGED!” Melissa stuck out her ring finger.

“Engaged?!” Kim grabbed her hand, and stared at the huge rock on her finger. “Congratulations!”

Mel smiled, “And now that you’re on paperwork maybe you’ll agree to be my maid of honour slash wedding planner?”

Kim had the biggest smile on her face, “Of course I would!” She grabbed one of her best friend into a hug. “I’m so happy for you!”

The rest of the day went perfectly. There weren’t many things to do except for a couple of reports that were already started and only needed to be completed. The rest of the day, Mel was in her office and they were discussing some early preparations like the theme of the wedding and the day. She was so excited; everything was going so great: she had her job, she had Gerald, and she was going to be the maid of honour and the wedding she was going to plan.

Time went by so quickly that the lights were beginning to close. She looked outside her window and the sky was darkening. “What’s wrong?” Melissa asked her.

Kim shook her head, “Nothing, it’s just that Gerald said he’d call me when he was going to pick me up after his conference. He didn’t call me yet, and his conference was at 2:30 in the afternoon; it should’ve been over for hours.” She checked her cell phone, no missed calls.

“Kim, he’s probably out with the guys, with Matt even. There’s nothing to worry about, just take a taxi, or I’ll drive you.” Mel stood up but paused. “Whoa...” Her eyes widened.

Kim walked to her and grabbed her arm, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m just dizzy. That salad probably wasn’t enough since I’m eating for two now,” she chuckled. “You mind if we make a pit stop and eat something?”

“Okay, let’s go.”

The stopped at a diner a few blocks from the office, “So I forgot to ask you, how did this start, you and Gerald? Was it love at first sight?” She started to pick through the bowl of spaghetti she ordered.

Kim laughed, “At first I wanted to tear his head off; he was such an arrogant SOB, but then he started showing me the softer side of him. Like when I fell and hit my head – I’m not going to say what I was doing – he took care of me, and he proved me wrong.” Mel stared at her, putting a forkful into . “He made me see that he wasn’t just a spoiled star who got everything he wanted all the time, he showed me the real Gerald. And putting aside the feelings, he’s just someone I can relate to, and someone I can just have fun with and be myself with.”

“Do you see yourself being in a long-term relationship with him?”

“I don’t know yet. I hope so, but all I’m focused on is the present. Being in New York and always wondering what’s going to happen when we come back made me realize that I should focus on the present and enjoy it because it’s gone too fast.” Kim smiled. “I just know that I’m happy now. I have everything I want, and I’m so glad!”

Mel smiled. “So we both are happy, I’m getting married and you’re happy with Gerald! Just promise me that when your happy day comes, I’ll be part of it.”

“Of course!” They laughed, and Melissa drove home.

She opened the door and there were candles lit. Kim shut the door, and found Gerald on the couch with his eyes closed. She laughed quietly to herself, and put her bag on the table next to the door. She walked over to the couch and sat on it, caressing the side of his face. He opened his eyes abruptly and saw Kim smiling at him. “I didn’t think it was that late.” She whispered.

He rubbed his face and laughed, “Sorry, it was a long day.”

Kim looked around her living room, “Yeah I can see, lighting candles can be a hassle; not to mention a fire hazard.” She .

“Yeah, we were supposed to have a romantic night together, but sleep got in the way,” He stretched his arms.

“Apparently.” She got comfortable on his side and smiled at him, “Well I have good news.” He groaned and looked at her. “I’m not fired!”

Gerald smiled at her, “I told you, didn’t I tell you?

Kim nodded happily, “I know I over reacted. But that’s not only it. Melissa and Matt are getting married, and Mel wants me to be her maid of honor, and she wants me to plan the wedding.”

“Wow, do you have any idea how to plan a wedding?”

Her jaw dropped, “Do you have no faith in me? I can plan a wedding. And plus, they put in on paperwork for the next couple of weeks, so I’ll have extra time to begin planning. At least I’m part of the wedding.”

“Well, if you must know, I’m the best man. I went out with Matt today and he shared me the great news: the wedding and the baby. I can’t believe it, they’re growing up so fast.”

Kim laughed, “They have to grow up some time. Anyways, when do you think we’ll grow up?” The question was more of joke, rather than an actual question which had to be answered.

She rested her head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around her petite body. “I don’t know, maybe it’ll be sooner than later.” He kissed the top of her head.



Kim spent the next couple of days at Gerald’s house. They woke up together, ate breakfast together, drove to work together, came home together, ate dinner and went to bed together. She never felt like she was burden to him or that he wasn’t comfortable with the arrangement; she felt extremely welcomed and happy where she was.

“So this dinner with me and your sister, are you going to meet us at the restaurant or are you going to pick me up?” Kim asked, taking a spoonful of cereal in .

Gerald looked at her, “About that...maybe I can I just meet up with you back here afterwards.”

“Wait, what? You’re not coming to dinner? Ge!”

He laughed, “Look, I can’t make it. But I already promised my sister the dinner so you need to go.”

“Exactly, you promised her a dinner and now you’re backing out of it? You can’t so that.” Kim dropped her bowl in the sink.

“No, I promised a dinner between the both of you; I was just supposed to kind of a buffer, you know, if there’s any lulls between the two of you.” He walked in front of her smiling. “Look on the bright side, now you guys can talk about any embarrassing stories without any interference.”

Kim shook her head. “What if she doesn’t like me, what if she hates me already? I can’t deal with this alone. I won’t do it alone.”

“Oh babe, sure you can. I did with your parents.” Gerald reminded.

“No, you didn’t do it alone, you had me there right beside you. I hate meeting people alone. You know my romantic history: 4 guys, I only had 4 boyfriends! I’m not exactly as experienced as you are, Mr. Playboy of the month.” She jabbed her finger on his chest.

He chuckled, “Listen to me, my sister is the least of your problems if you ever want to meet my family. My sister is loveable and she’s so sweet. All she’s excited for is to meet you and see the person responsible for the smile on my face.”

Kim playfully pushed his face away from the side. “Where did you learn how to answer like that; if it comes from a book, I need a copy.” He laughed and pulled her into a kiss.

“Just have fun at work and she’ll meet you at the restaurant, you guys have a reservation for 6:30. I know you’re going to love her, and she’s going to love you.” He gave her another peck on the lips and grabbed his keys. “Are you ready to go?”|

Kim nodded, taking her coffee with her. They were in the car already on their way to her office. “So what exactly should I know about your sister?”

“She’s a complete girly girl. So if you run out of things to talk about, just begin talking about new fashion trends and you’ll be fine.” He laughed keeping his eyes on the road. “Look, Ate Jen is completely calm, she won’t grill you.”

“She won’t?” She scoffed.

Gerald chuckled again, “Okay, she might, but she won’t spend too much time grilling you; most of the time she’ll want to get to know Kim, the real Kim I know, so don’t waste time on non-sense.”

Kim dropped ; my life is complete non-sense?”

“No, I’m just saying that my sister like confidence, so say everything with authority; no babbling. She can sense fear, trust me.”

She laughed. “Okay, so what else? What’s a safe topic, other than fashion; considering every girl has that in common.”

“Me.” He had the widest grin on his face. “That’s the topic we both like to talk about, and enjoy talking about; we could spend like hours talking about me.”

She scoffed and pretended to wheeze, pulling the window down. “Babe? What’s wrong?”

“Can’t...breathe...there’s no room in Ge’s ego!” She rolled her eyes, hearing him laugh beside her. “Are you serious? No wonder you think you’re all that, it’s your family you made you that way.”

“There’s nothing wrong with a little attention.” He parked his car in front of the building and opened her door for her. He helped her down and walked her inside to her office. “I’ll call you later, okay. And just promise to be nice to her for me.” He gave her one last kiss, but it turned into something more. She didn’t want him to leave, not just yet. She pulled his body against hers, and both his hands were on the side of her face, not breaking their interaction with their lips.

Someone cleared at the door and Kim pushed her away. “A little discretion would be nice considering Janet let you keep your job.”

Kim laughed and her lips, still moist from what just happened. “See you tonight?” Gerald nodded, and instead of kissing her on the lips, he kissed her cheek. “Bye.”

“Bye, Babe.” And he left.

“‘Babe?”’ Melissa walked in and sat on the chair in front of Kim. “You already have pet names for each other after what, two months of dating?”

“Two and a half.” Kim corrected. “And plus there’s another milestone tonight, I’m meeting his sister.”

Mel smiled. “Wow, meeting the family. Excited?

Kim scoffed. “Not really. Anyways, any more reports I need to complete? Do you know how long this whole paperwork thing is going to last?”

“You’ve been on paperwork for a few days, don’t worry. Anyways, I have some more bridal magazines for your planning.” She smiled.

The rest of the afternoon was actually productive. Kim was able to accomplish many things with some time left over to go back over to her apartment and change into something other than her work clothes.

Kim took a quick shower and wore a green dress with her ‘good luck’ black stilettos. She didn’t want to look overdone, so she kept her hair in natural waves, and pulled it up into a loose bun. It was almost 5:30, and Kim decided it was time to leave. She arrived at the restaurant a little early, but Jen was already there, holding up a menu. “Great, she probably got hungry waiting for me,” Kim muttered. She walked to the table and smiled. “Ate Jen?”

Jen stood up. Gerald was right, she was so beautiful and looked friendly, very approachable. “You must be Kim. I hope you’re hungry. I finished ordering us some salads, I hope you don’t mind.”

Kim took a seat, “I’m starving,” she smiled.

Dinner went absolutely wonderfully. They laughed together talking about everything. From when the day she met Gerald up until their meeting just a couple of days ago. “So Gerald was a complete nerd in high school?!” Kim laughed, not being able to picture it since he came across as such a jock.

“Well, he was the captain of the basketball team, but when he came home he’d stick his Star Wars’ books. It was hilarious; it was like he was living a double life.” There it was, it was the first silence of the night. Kim looked down at her food, eating her last pieces of grilled chicken linguine. “I can see why he likes you.”

Kim looked up suddenly, feeling self-conscious. Jen smiled, “You’re really easy to talk to, and you look absolutely stunning. That dress looks gorgeous on you.”

All the blood rushed to her cheeks. “Thanks. Honestly, I was kind of nervous of meeting you; especially when Gerald cancelled.”

“Do you love my brother?” She asked.

Kim stammered. “Uh...well...um...yeah. I do.”

“You had to think about it?" Jen asked taken aback.

“No! No.” She repeated more calmly than the first. “I do love him. The way we met might’ve been awkward, but I’ve never felt this way before. When I’m with him, he makes me smile, he makes the whole world look okay again. My life wasn’t always the easiest, but now that I have him with me, it makes it seem like I can get through anything. He makes me feel safe, complete. When we first said I love you to each other, this huge burden was lifted. It was like all my life I’ve been waiting for someone to my come and rescue me from all my fears, and now I have it.” Kim smiled. “I know you’re really protective of your brother; I’m really protective of my family the same way, but I do love your brother. You don’t have to believe anything say except that.”

Jen’s mouth twitched into a smile, “Perfect answer!” After dinner, they drove back to Gerald’s house, and his car was already parked. “Did Gerald tell you why he missed the dinner?”

“I thought he told you.” Kim said.

Jen shook her head. “Well, let’s just go ask him.” Jen led the both of them to his door and took out her key to open hi door. “Ge! Little Brother I brought your girlfriend home!” She yelled out, smiling at Kim who was chuckling behind her.

“Finally, I thought you made her run away.” Gerald walked out in flannel pyjamas, going straight to give Kim a kiss. “So, you think you still want to be with me after everything she told you?”

Kim looked up as if she was thinking, “Um…if we ever break up it wouldn’t be because of that; it’d be because you missed the dinner.”

Jen smiled, “Okay, I’m gonna go. Kim, don’t take his crap, he’s not worth it, and little brother, don’t give her a hard time, I actually like this one. Bye.” She walked over and gave a kiss to her brother and hugged him, then also kissing Kim on the cheek.

Gerald put his palms on the small of her back pulling her close. “So, how was the dinner?”

Kim smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck, pressing her body against his. “It could’ve been better if you were there,” she whispered her voice husky and gently pressed her lips against his.

His hands her back. She could feel the tingling sensations all around her body. Kim went onto her toes so she could kiss him more easily than straining her neck. He reached down, and pulled her up, holding her up with his strong, masculine arms. Kim laughed, and now he was the one reaching up for her lips. As one hand supported her, the other found the zipper behind her back and began ping it as he carried her up the stairs into their bedroom – it wasn’t just his room anymore, it belonged to the both of them.

He placed her on the bed. “Did I that I’m not exactly fond of this dress you’re wearing?” He said taking off her shoes.

Kim raised an eyebrow. “Well, what would you prefer me wearing?” She said, pulling herself up onto a pillow.

He chuckled, crawling up on top of her so his face was just centimetres away from hers. She could feel his warm breath on her face. “Without this,” he answered her, pulling a strap off her shoulder seductively, kissing her shoulder. His touch tickled her waiting body. She giggled, pulling his lips onto hers, not able to wait any longer.



Their relationship blossomed between the two of them. Going out in disguise or staying in each other’s places were in the past now; they’re relationship was public and getting a picture of them was a no brainer. Their picture was usually in the paper and it was hard to go outside without seeing a flash of the camera in their face. But as their relationship matured over the couple of weeks and more public, it also came with the normalcy any other couple had in life.

They often had minor arguments that would sometimes escalate, but always made sure they made up. Kim even moved in with him within three weeks of living in his house. Though they had some problems, they’d rather be together than without.

The relationship was obviously moving into something more, but some things didn’t change like never meeting his parents. Kim usually turned a blind eye towards the subject, but it was becoming too aware to her and she couldn’t keep a blind eye. “Babe, we have dinner with my family almost every week, it’s not fair that I never had dinner with yours.”

“Of course you do. You had dinner with my sisters and brothers.” He replied.

“Do you know how humiliating it is to be asked about you and your parents and that I have to answer ‘I don’t know’ because I never met them?” She sighed on the phone.

Gerald shut his eyes, and stared out the window, “Why is it so important for you guys to meet? “

Kim smiled, “Do you feel like you know me?”

“Yes.”

“Well that’s because you’ve met everyone in my life; you’ve met everyone who’s ever known me. You can’t completely know someone when you’ve never met their parents. That’s the difference between the two of us, you know me completely and I don't know you that way. "

Gerald sighed. "Fine, we'll go meet my parents. But if you hate them it's not my fault. And if you end up leaving me..."

Kim put a finger to his lips. "I love you more than anything. There is absolutely nothing that will change it. Your parents are not you, you are not your parents. But they had to do something right, they have a y son who I can't stop thinking about and someone who I can't see my life without. Okay, we'll do this together."

(Next chapter I have to rewrite, I somehow lost it, but don't worry, it's just the proposal. I remember it clearly, just not the way i wrote it, and i'll do my best to get it back or at least write it better. I'll update soon!)