30,000 Reasons

So Close [completed]

Darling stared open-mouthed at Gerald. “Are you joking?”

Gerald put a hand around his sister’s mouth, and pulled her into the kitchen.

“You’re serious!? You’re going to ask her to marry you?” A smile spread across her face.

“Do you think it’s crazy?” Gerald asked covering his smiling mouth.

Darling shook her head chuckling. “This is psycho,” she whispered. “You’ve never said the ‘m’ work before, or even spoke about a woman like you speak about Kim.” Darling paused and covered in shock. “My little brother’s growing up.”

Gerald sighed and opened her fridge. “Can you please act a little more mature than that? I’m actually picking up the ring tonight.”

Darling’s eyes shimmered. “You’re changing in front of my eyes.” She walked to him and grabbed him into a hug. “I think you’re making the best decision in your life if you ask her. If she really makes you happy – and your face is the epitome of happy – you should ask her right now in my living room.”

Gerald laughed and kissed his sister. “Are the roads clear yet? My future fiancée won’t have a good sleep on a couch and hung over.”

“The roads are wet, but it stopped raining awhile ago,” she said walking back into the living. “Oh, her finger looks so empty now.”

Gerald hit her arm, and bent down Kim’s face. “Wake up, babe.” Kim opened her eyes and stretched grabbing onto her head. “Can you get up, or do you want me to carry you?” Kim groaned and shut her eyes tight. “I guess I’m carrying you out.” He easily picked her up and Kim buried her head against his chest.

Darling opened the door for him and also helped her seated in the passenger seat with it reclined. She also let Kim borrow her blanket. Gerald shut the door and thanked his sister. “Call me when it happens?” Gerald laughed and got into his seat, started his car and backed out.

He also carried her back into his place and up the stairs into his bed with the covers over her.

It was early afternoon when Kim woke up and crawled down to the kitchen. “Ugh, I blame you for getting me drunk,” she said sitting down across from him, leaning her head against her palm.

Gerald laughed. “Do you remember last night?” He passed her an advil.

She put it in and swallowed it with water. “Vaguely.”

“Then let me refresh your memory. You’re the one who challenged me to a game of dominoes. And I admit, you’re a very lousy player. I think you wanted to get drunk,” he observed.

Kim smiled, “I just wanted to win,” she admitted. “And it worked. But you could’ve conceded earlier, you know.”

He nodded, and walked around her. “Look, I want you sober enough for dinner tonight. There’s something I want to show you, and I need your full capability.”

That evening, after running many errands, she arrived back at Gerald’s place. She could see light coming from upstairs and walked inside. There she found a trail of roses and candles and a note. Kim put down her stuff, locked the door and kicked off her shoes. Kim picked up the first envelope and opened it.

30,000 rose petals are scattered across the floor, one symbolizing a reason why I love you.

She picked up a long-stemmed rose off the floor and read the tag. “‘Reason #1 – Every time I look at you, you put a smile on my face and light up the world brighter than ant sun’.” She laughed and shook her head.

The next rose sat on top of the CD player. She pressed on the sticky that said PLAY ME and their song played. Kim picked up the next rose and read the tag. ‘Reason #529 – you open up new doors for me that I never knew existed.’

She made it all the way up to the bedroom, reading each card and collecting each and every rose. By the time she got there, she held 45 roses and opened the door to the terrace. Gerald wasn’t there but there was dinner and a box about three feet tall just sitting there waiting for her.

Kim walked onto the terrace and looked at the top, Unwrap me. She began ripping off the bow and the wrapping paper. Altogether, she undid thirteen boxes before getting to the very bottom. She stopped and took the last box out to hold it in her palm. It was a purple velvet box and she smiled at the sticky note – Reason 29,999 Your eyes are the colour purple. She took a seat on her chair and couldn’t take her eyes off the box.

“Reason #30,000 – I love you so much,” he said walking out from the bedroom, “That I want to spend the rest of my life telling you over and over why I love you.”

Kim raised her shimmering eyes to look up at him. He was carrying another dozen roses, white ones this time, in his hand. He took the box from her and bent down. “Because the truth is,” he continued, taking her hand. “30,000 roses aren’t enough.” He laughed, “You’re shaking.”

Kim laughed and covered . “I love you so much.”

He smiled, “Kim, since the first moment I saw you, I knew you were special. I have no idea what you did to me, but you opened my eyes. Darling even said it,” he laughed. “But I love you for it. And I want you to keeping doing it for the rest of my life. I want you to keep loving me. Can you promise me that? Will you marry me?” He slipped the ring on her finger.

“Yes. 30,000 times yes,” she laughed grabbing his chin and pulling him to her.

Gerald lifted her to her feet and pulled her close. “Do you know how long it took me to plan this?” He laughed.

She intertwined her fingers behind his neck and kissed him. She pulled away when she felt something fall on her face.

Gerald smiled, “I checked the forecast, there’s a 90% chance it’s going to rain,” he said.

It began pouring and Gerald laughed. “Ge!” Kim yelled when he picked her up and brought her inside to seal the deal.