First Day, First Encounters

So Close [completed]

It was Kim’s first day as an official Public Relations agent. She’s been spending the last two years as an intern at the Hot Zone, and now that she graduated from University. She took one last look in the mirror, and nodded, approving of the way she looked. She couldn’t wait; it was today that she was going to get her first client she’d be representing. She ran down the stairs in her condo that she shared with Erich.

“How do I look?” She asked, spinning around in her purple satin blouse, and high-waisted black skirt. She was also wearing black stilettos and her hair was pinned back with wavy strands framing her face.

Erich couldn’t believe her best friend’s transformation. “You look beautiful.” She turned back around, back to the TV and eating her breakfast cereal.

“Talaga? I want to make a really good impression. This is going to be my first client, and I have to make sure he thinks I’m able to handle him. I don’t want him thinking that I’m this child who just got out of school, and I don’t know what I’m doing.” She joined Erich on the counter pouring herself a glass of orange juice.

“I’m sure they won’t think that. You’ve been working for them for two years.” Erich assured her best friend.

Kim finished her breakfast really quickly, and skipped out the door in excitement. She opened the glass doors to the building, and knocked on Melissa’s door. “Hey, can I come in?”

“Yeah, Kim. Excited for your first day? I still remember my first day here.” Melissa started. They’ve been friends since the first day she walked in the doors. Melissa was her trainer; she followed Melissa around everywhere making mental notes on how to deal with the clients. She showed Kim everything from how to spin a story to creating a fundraiser. “So I have news. I was talking to Janet, and your new client is around the same age as you. He’s so cute, and a basketball player. His name is Gerald Anderson, and he’s in Janet’s room right now.”

Kim looked through Melissa’s window, but all she saw was his back. “Kim now you have to be careful. It’s the cute ones that gets us distracted. You have to stay professional at all times.”

“I understand.” Kim nodded. “How old is he?” Kim asked.

“There’s plenty of time for that later. Right now we need to talk business. Gerald is still young and he’s one of the best guys on the team. Your job is to keep him out of the paparazzi. Press is good, but anything bad can ruin his career, so make sure if he gets a headline, it’s about his master skills on the court. One more thing, his love life stays out of public. That was special request from his mom.” Melissa continued to prep her for her upcoming duties.
A couple of minutes, Melissa’s intercom buzzed, requesting Kim and Melissa to make their way into her office. Kim took a deep breath. “Okay, I can do this.” She muttered to herself.

“You ready? Kim, just to say, we’re all so proud of you, and so excited that you’re joining our team. You’re gonna be great.”

Kim smiled. “Let’s do this.” Melissa led her to Janet’s room, and they knocked before entering. “Mrs. Janet.” Kim said walking just past the doorway.

“Kim, I know you’ve been very excited for today, as all of us were. Today is the first day as part of the Hot Zone team, and where you are assigned your first client.” Kim continued on smiling, hiding the nerves. “So let me introduce to you Mr. Anderson.”

Gerald stood up and turned around, now facing Kim. Kim’s breath got caught in . She cleared . “Nice to meet you,” she was able to choke out. Oh my gosh, he’s so hot, she thought to herself. It was his piercing brown eyes that she noticed first. He was gorgeous. He was lean and tall, and had a fresh sense of fashion. He stood before her in an open-collared suit.

“Mr. Anderson, this is our newest member, Ms. Kim Chiu.” Janet said.

“Nice to meet you.” He said. His voice was as soft as velvet, catching her off guard once again.
Kim prepared for absolutely everything; if her client was a snob, a womanizer, a badass, if he didn’t like her ideas, if he kept on breaking rules. But she forgot one important thing that she lacked right at this moment. How the hell was she going to deal with a gorgeous, young male as a client?

Janet asked Kim to take a seat with Gerald to discuss what was going to happen. Gerald pulled out her chair for her, and then took a seat beside her. Crap, he’s a gentleman too. I’m screwed, her brain told her.

The meeting seemed like it went on for hours. Occasionally, his arm would brush hers slightly, leaving her weak in the knees. How was she going to do her job now?

“I really hope that you enjoy Kim.” Janet concluded her speech.

Since Kim wasn’t really listening, she went wide-eyed. “What?!” She asked startled, misinterpreting what Janet said.

“I hope Gerald here enjoys your services, Kim….as a PR agent.” Janet cleared up.

“Right, yeah. Me too.” Kim said awkwardly. “Will you excuse me.” Kim said standing up.

Janet closed her folder. “No need, we’re finished here. If you have any questions about your trip together, please call in,” Janet said to Gerald.

Kim missed the whole conversation. What trip? “I’m sorry Janet, but what were you saying? The trip for…”

Janet chuckled almost embarrassed. “Kim, we just discussed this. You and Gerald are going on a trip to New York for a couple of weeks. Gerald has a game there, and he needs his PR agent t keep him in check.”

She nodded. “Right, I just missed where we were going.” She said humiliated with her incompetence. What the hell is going on? We just met, and now we’re going on a vacation together? No, Kim, it’s not a vacation, it’s a business trip. Remember what Melissa said, ‘Stay professional. And that is exactly what you are, you are a professional. Kim conversed with herself.

She shook off any feeling of doubt, and smiled, realizing everyone was staring at her, including Gerald. “Well, if you’ll excuse me,” she said walking out.

“Kim, one more thing. Your flight leaves tonight. Melissa has your tickets in her office.” Kim just continued smiling, and walked out into Melissa’s office. Melissa followed.

“I think that went well.” Melissa said, walking to her chair behind her desk.

“I made a complete fool of myself, didn’t I?” Kim said, sitting across from her.

Melissa laughed. “No, I’m sure no one even noticed your lips moving.” She teased.

“How can we already be leaving the country together, we just met.” Kim said.

“What can I say, Janet likes to work fast. And don’t think of it as leaving together, think of it as---”

“A business trip? I can tell you right now, that’s not helping me. I mean it’s my first day here. She really trusts me out of the country, alone?” Kim said, breathing heavily.

Melissa laughed. “I told you the cute ones get us distracted. Look, you guys will hardly spend any time together. Most of time he’ll be on the court, and in press conferences and interviews. All you have to do is coach him on what he’ll be saying, and watch on the sidelines. The only contact you’ll be having just the two of you is one the plane, in the hotel room, and in between games. It’s not a lot when you think about it. Just keep your professional head on, and you’ll be fine.” Melissa went into her drawer and took out two tickets for New York. “Your flight leaves at 9pm, so you should get going, and start packing. Gerald will meet you at the airport.”
Kim nodded. “I can do this.” But her face was full of doubt.

“Yes, you can. Just stay professional, remember, you’re his agent, not his girlfriend.”