Back to Reality

So Close [completed]

Their flight wasn’t until the afternoon. Kim was the first one who woke up and went to take a shower. She felt like a different person now; a totally different person. She was no longer scared or naïve; she was a woman in love. She stepped out of the shower, and wrapped her body in a towel. Than she felt arms wrap around her. She laughed, leaning the back of head against his shoulder.

“You didn’t wait for me.” He , kissing the side of her head, feeling her relax in his arms.

“Well if I did, we wouldn’t get out of here, and we’d miss our flight,” she responded, turning around and walking into the room taking an outfit out of the closet. “Come on, you have to get ready.” She said, walking back into the bathroom closing the door halfway.

He sat down on the bed. “You think it would be better if I just went like this?”

She stuck her head out. “Yeah, I think the press would love it if you went on the plane shirtless and only wearing faded jeans.”

“Whatever’s more comfortable, right?”

Kim chuckled as she walked out in a long sweater dress, revealing her long, slender legs. “Just throw on a shirt, and let’s go get breakfast before we leave.”

“Our flight is at 3, its 10 now. We’re so early.”

She went back in the bathroom and applied her make-up. “Right, because check-in only takes like five minutes, right?”

“It does for me.” He walked behind her, and watched her apply blush. “You don’t need that.”

Kim laughed. “Oh, Ge, you don’t need to sweet talk to me, you already had me.”

“And it was amazing,” he nuzzled against her, nibbling her neck.

She giggled. “Stop. Let me finish first.”

Gerald groaned. “It’s hard when you throw on that strawberry flavoured stuff. You taste good.”

She pushed him away, and gave him a light peck on his lips. “Okay, since you don’t want to get dressed, I guess I’ll go and have breakfast by myself, which is a shame because I wanted to spend the rest of our time together.” She walked out of the bathroom, and could feel Gerald’s gaze on her. She was absolutely amazing. Her hips swayed left to right as she walked, and he couldn’t take his eyes off of her.

“You know if this PR thing doesn’t work out, your persuasiveness will work well in court.” He pulled a shirt from the chair in the bedroom and threw it on, running up to Kim and lifted her off her feet. She laughed in his arms, and kicked her feet in the air wanting to be set on her feet. “You’re so ridiculously adorable, you know that?” He pushed her back to the wall and leaned in.

Kim chuckled. He braced his hands on each side of her, but as his lips almost touched hers, she bent down and went under his arm. “No, we have to eat breakfast.” She said taking his hand and opening the door pulling a reluctant Gerald out of the room and into the hallway.

They went into the elevator and Kim snuggled in his side, wrapping her arms around hs waist. “I’m going to miss this. We only have a few hours left and…”

“Shhh…. Don’t talk like that. We have a few of hours until we have to deal everything else in the world. Right now, it’s between you and me and how we feel for each other.”

Kim groaned. “What?” He asked her. “What’s the matter?”

“Once the doors open, we’re gonna have to pretend like nothing happened.” Gerald went behind her and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close, trying to block out any bad thoughts from her mind, though knowing her nature, it would be impossible.

“What happened to staying professional and not wanting to get involved?” He asked her.

Kim turned and stared. “When have I ever said that to you?”

He smiled his irresistible smile. “I know you better than you think. Look, we’re going to play agent and client and then we’re going to back to the room and…” He intertwined their fingers, and leaned in for a kiss.

She nodded, and some seconds later, the elevator doors opened. They were at each other’s side, and there were a couple of flashing bulbs in their faces, but not as much as usual. He smiled and nodded, and led her to the restaurant. They took a table in the far back corner, and ordered some breakfast.

The two of them just stared at each other for a minute, smiling. Their food was brought to them, and Kim didn’t realize she was leaning forward when she had to lean back. “Thank you.” She muttered. “So I was thinking.”

He chuckled. “Of course you are.”

Kim laughed. “Yes, I was thinking that maybe I should ship you off to another PR agent so we can be together without breaking the rules or breaking anything. You know, I can give to Melissa, or another agent in the Hot Zone. Just as long as you’re not my client.”

He looked away. “You don’t want me?”

She hit his arm. “That’s exactly why I’m doing this, because I want you. But seriously, it was just a suggestion. The only problem is that Janet frowns upon it. She doesn’t like changing agents because of all the paperwork, but maybe if we come clean she’ll allow it. But…”

He looked at her again. “You can still be fired because we still got together.”

“Yeah,” she nodded.

He took her hands not caring anymore. “Look at me.” Kim obeyed. “We will get through this, okay? I love you,” he told her. “I love you, and I promise you I will do anything for you.”

Every time she heard those words, she always got butterflies in her stomach. She smiled like a teenager in love. “I love you, too.” She replied.

He smiled at her, and kissed her hands. They ate the rest of their breakfast, and by the time they were finished, it was 12:14pm. They made it back to the hotel room and started packing. They left for the airport shortly after, and got on the plane at the right time. Kim slept on Gerald’s shoulder. She didn’t want to admit, but she was exhausted. Their hands were intertwined, and he’d kiss her head just in case she ever wondered if he was still there.

Gerald had a lot of time to think about what was about to happen. What was he going to do? He could always drop out of basketball, but then he’d be giving up his childhood dream. Was it worth it? He knew he loved her more than he ever thought was possible, but he didn’t know if he wanted to unemployed. And the same situation was in Kim’s lap. She could come clean and risk getting fired, or just quit. But he didn’t want that for her. The past month she always told him how hard she worked to get where she was, and she deserved to be happy. They could continue to see each other behind everyone’s back, and risk getting caught, but then again it would still be Kim who got the short end of the stick. The last thing he could do was to end it. End it right when they landed and break both their hearts. He shook his head, not even wanting think about it. After everything they shared, after everything that happened, he couldn’t just end it. He couldn’t not be without her. He couldn’t walk away from something this good.

His ex-girlfriend even said that he shouldn’t let this one go, and Erich told him about her dark days. He didn’t want to be the one to bring her pain and misery. Everything seemed to have a negative effect.

He traced circles with his thumb on her skin. He wished they never left New York. He even wished they never met, or he went to a different agency and met Kim some place else just so he didn’t have to make this decision. He took a deep breath, and figured keeping this a secret would be better than risk losing everything.

Kim pretty much slept the whole plane ride, and got off the plane heavy eyed. Gerald took her bags from the conveyor belt, and looked at her. He took her hand and brought her to the hallway towards the bathroom, knowing it was going to be empty. Kim sighed, “So now what?”

He touched the side of her face. “Go home, and I’ll see you tomorrow.” He brought her forehead to his lips. “I love you.”

She smiled. “I love you.”

Erich came up to them. “Kim, the cab’s here.” Kim nodded, and gave Gerald a quick kiss on the lips. She walked with Erich outside leaving Gerald, not knowing that this could be the beginning of the end.