Unplanned Plan

So Close [completed]

Hello everyone! This is an old story of mine that was on WINGLIN.NET, but I needed to delete it if I wanted to start a new story which I did. This may have many mistakes because I needed to copy and paste them onto an e-mail and then a put it here. Please forgive me for the mistakes. Anyways, this is going to be like five chapters from winglin put into one chapter here. Hopefully it makes sense because I'm lazy to reread it and fix it. Sorry again, but enjoy!!!! Have a good one!

After leaving Melissa’s office, Janet came to Kim. “Kim, can I speak to you for a moment?”

Oh no, its about before. She knows I wasn’t listening, she knows I’m not able to do this job. Oh no, she’s firing me. Kim walked into her office, “Yes?”

“You can take a seat.” She was typing in something in her computer. “Kim, are you okay? When I introduced you to Gerald, you seemed a little off.”

“I’m fine. It’s all just very exciting. My very own client, unbelievable,” she said throwing her hands in the air. What did you just do?

Janet nodded, eyeing her weirdly. “Kim, I understand that this may be a very unusual thing. You just met the boy, and now you’re leaving the country together.” Great, an explanation I needed. “But it’s only because I trust you, and I believe in you. I wouldn’t have done this if I didn’t think you’re capable. I just need you to remember, he’s 25, just a year younger than you, and he has so much going on in his career, that this needs your special attention. Keep an eye on him while you’re on this trip. There are press conferences, and interviews, and photo shoots. I need you to be some sort of parent for him, tell him what to do, what not to do.”

“Yes, ma’am. I know exactly what my job is. I saw Melissa on all her clients, I understand what my job is.”

Janet smiled. “That’s what I want to hear. Now, you’ll be in New York for a couple of weeks, I think for four weeks.” Janet gave her a piece of paper. “That’s your itinerary for the month, what press conferences are there, what parties his manager wants him to go to, and photo shoots are scheduled in there also. I expect that you get all of them done, and you’re on schedule. There’s no room for mistakes, Do you understand Kim?”

Kim took the paper, “Yes. I understand.”

“Melissa will call you for an update, so in a way we’re always watching.” Janet’s tone went serious, like she was threatening her or something.

Kim nodded.

“That’s all. I expect you’re going home to start packing?”

Kim nodded again. “Thank you.”

Kim left her boss’s office, and went to her little cubicle where she had pictures of her family and friends. She took a seat, and looked over the itinerary. This made her more confident. There was so much to do that there would hardly be time to actually talk about something other than business. She smiled to herself. This was not going to be a problem at all. All her doubts were beginning to disappear. They would arrive at the hotel, and then a team dinner would occur within 3 hours of arriving. After the dinner, there would be practice for the next night’s game, and from what she thought practices took forever, right? So there are a couple of hours in there for just her, her to explore the city. The next day was an interview with a talk show, and then another practice. This was beginning to seem more like a vacation for her than a business trip.

“Kim,” Melissa leaned over, looking at Kim smiling. “I have a surprise for you.” Kim followed her friend over to an empty office. “Janet doesn’t want you to know until you get home, but I thought it would sort of be a motivation thing. Once you get back, this will be your new office.”

Kim’s jaw dropped. It was absolutely beautiful. There was a huge window overlooking the fountain right outside, and where endless light could reign in. “This is mine? All mine?”

“All yours!” Melissa exclaimed. “So go home, and remember your office when you come back here.”

Kim took her purse, and walked down the corridor. There were pictures of all the old agents with their clients. She couldn’t wait to have her picture up on that wall, and having it taken with Gerald was another bonus.

She decided to take a quick lunch before heading home, and when she into her bad to look for her keys, she bumped into someone. “Oh, I’m so sorry.” She bent down, and started picking up the things that fell out of her bag.

“Hindi, it’s my fault. I should’ve been looking where I’ve been going.”

Kim’s eyes shot up, when she recognized his voice. It’s unbelievable she knew his voice after four words he spoken to her. She grabbed the things, and dumped them into her bag. “No, it’s my fault.” She brushed her hair away from her face. “Sorry again.” She tried to get away from, but every time she moved, he’d move also, blocking her.

He chuckled, and grabbed her arms, pushing her to the opposite side of where he was moving. “Going to pack?”

Kim adjusted her bag on her shoulder. “Yeah, you should be doing the same thing.” She said, finally getting her keys. “What are you still doing here, I thought you already left.”

“I forgot something in Janet’s office.” Kim just stared at him, not believing him.

“I was just in there, I didn’t see anything that didn’t belong to her.” The moment she said those words, she immediately regretted it. “I mean, you should go ask her.” She turned her back, and began thinking how stupid she was of opening .

He laughed again. “Actually you’re right. I didn’t leave anything. I wanted to ask my new agent out to lunch.” He called after her.

Kim stopped in her tracks. She turned around, facing her. “What?”

“Well, we had such a formal introduction, that I thought you’d want to grab something to eat.”

It’s like he knows what I’m thinking, she said to herself. “I’m sorry, I can’t. I have things to do.”

“Like pack?” He smiled.

He has such a beautiful smile,, she thought. “Yeah, like pack.” She chuckled. She needed to get away fast before she’d do something she really waned to do, but would regret it later, like saying yes. “Anyways, I’ll see you tonight.” She rushed out.

“And maybe we’ll get to eat something together then,” He said loud enough for her to hear.

She opened her car door, and got in there. She was grinning ear to ear. Her insides felt giddy, but even though she knew it was wrong, she couldn’t stop smiling. He wanted to eat lunch with her. He wanted to go out with her. And now they were leaving together to a trip to New York. She couldn’t wait. “It’s business trip,” she told herself, still smiling. “But that doesn’t mean I can’t have fun. And you’re supposed to get to know you’re client.” She began driving and talking to herself. “That was one of Melissa’s first lessons, you need to know your client before starting to manage them. And one meal wouldn’t hurt.” She continued on smiling while thinking about New York and what they could do.

She got home, and started packing. She told Erich all about her new client, and they spent hours talking about what would be appropriate, and what would be frowned upon, and what would be forbidden, like sleeping with clients is forbidden, but some flirting is frowned upon, but still allowed. Though she shouldn’t have been taking advice from her unemployed friend, it was still good to talk about it with her friend.

Kim made sure she packed a couple of formal dresses for the number of fundraisers, casual wear for shopping, and maybe watching some of his games, and business wear for press conferences, and whatsoever. She gave Erich the number of the hotel she’d be staying at, and things Erich needed to do while staying home alone. And she made Erich promise that she’d start looking for job.

It was 6:00, and Kim decided to leave for the airport. The check-in always took a long time. “I’ll miss you best friend.” Kim said, hugging Erich.

“Okay, remember have fun. Don’t work too hard, you’ll get old faster.” Erich said holding back tears.

“Hoy, you said we wouldn’t cry. You’re breaking your promise.” Kim said, starting to cry.

Erich hugged her again, and pulled her away. “Okay, you need to go away now before the real tears come.”

Kim laughed, and left.

She arrived at the airport, and starting the check-in. But Gerald was nowhere to be seen. Time started to pass…..6:45….7:20…8:15. There was fifteen minutes before boarding, and Gerald was still wasn’t there. She called his cell phone countless times, even started giving threatening messages once it turned 8:00. She getting aggravated. Kim may not be he smartest or the wisest person, but she was a person of her word, and like to stay on schedule. She hated the unknown, and by sticking to schedules, there’d be no surprises.

And now she was going on a trip with someone who now appeared to be against everything she believed in. It was 8:27, and the final boarding call was said over the PA. “That .” Kim said. She took her carry on, and went in the line up. She wasn’t waiting anymore. If Gerald wanted to ruin her job, fine, but she was going to have fun while it was happening.

She handed her ticket, and starting walking into the slim corridor. The doors were beginning to close. And she watched them while doing it. She forgot all those things she liked about Gerald. His brown eyes, his strong-featured face, his full lips, his tall, lean body. He was a jerk in her eyes now.

“Huwag! Huwag!” Someone’s voice yelled. She knew that voice, and continued to walk toward the plane. She heard rushing footsteps behind her. “Kim, I’m so sorry. Right on time, eh?” He nudged her on the arm, smiling. He sighed in relief, and stared at Kim’s angry face. Her jaw was tensed, and could tell she was mad. “Kim?” He nudged her again.

She paused, and glared at him. “Touch me again.” She warned him.

Her glare would burn holes through him. He backed away, and let her walk ahead of him. They made their way to their seats, and Gerald put his hands on her back to put it in the above case.

She pulled it back and did it herself. She took a seat by the window, and Gerald sat beside her. “Kim, I’m sorry. I lost track of time.”

“Gerald, I really don’t need your lame excuses, I’m not your mom.” Despite Janet’s desires of her acting like his parent. “Just shut up.” She leaned her head back, and shut her eyes.

He stared at her. He never really noticed her light complexion. She’s beautiful, he thought. She had small full lips, a cute nose. He smiled that he never noticed them before.

Kim could feel his stares on her, and opened her eyes, staring right at his smiling face. She thought he was laughing at her. “Do you mind?” She turned to her side, and shut her eyes once again.

Gerald chuckled to himself at how defensive she got. “Violet,” he muttered. They were the colour of her eyes. Of her beautiful eyes.

The whole plane ride was quiet. She spent it staring ahead, or outside the window, or at the tiny screen which was playing a video. She didn’t dare stare at Gerald, even though she could feel his stares on her.

Gerald would take time to stare at her, maybe get her attention. But sometimes, he’s catch her tense her jaw, and knew she was annoyed. He smiled because his plan was working. He wanted to annoy her because it gave him some sort of pleasure after she snapped at him, despite his apologies. He’d even make side comments, and she’d roll her eyes.

Finally, the flight attendant announced they arrived in New York, and they could begin making their way out. Gerald was the first one out, and he got her bag down, and handed it to her.

She yanked it away from him, and pushed him to the side so she could walk away. But as she brushed her body against his, he whispered in her ear, “Good thing you’re affected by my charm,” he joked.

He stared at him, and smiled. Then she elbowed him in the stomach like she had no room for her arm to move out. He grunted, and fell back on the seat.

She walked out, and got her stuff off the conveyor belt, and Gerald was just steps away from her. She found a card which said her name, and followed the man to the car. Gerald had to run t keep up with them. “Welcome to New York.” The man said.

“Thanks you,” Kim said smiling, getting into the car, and before the chauffeur shut the door, Gerald tugged on his arm to let him in. He slid in beside Kim.

“Were you trying to leave without me?” He asked.

“That was the plan, but then again, you don’t follow them do you?” Kim retorted. Gerald just smiled beside her.

The chauffeur dropped them off at their hotel, The Palace, in Manhattan. He took their bags inside, and Kim and Gerald followed.

Kim went to the front desk, “Hi. The reservation should be under Chiu.” Janet put it under her name to make being an agent more real.

“Welcome to the Palace, Ms. Chiu. Here is your key.” The man handed her one key.

“There must be some mistake, there should be two rooms. One for me and one for Mr. Anderson, my client.” Kim’s heart started beating faster. They just arrived, and now something was going wrong.

“We are aware of Mr. Anderson, but Mrs. Ramirez only booked one room.” The man stated.

Kim sighed. She couldn’t take it being in the same room with Gerald. “Is there anything you can do? Book another room? I’ll pay for it myself.” Kim insisted.

“I’m sorry Ms. Chiu, but it’s peak season.”

“But--”

“It’ll be fine.” Gerald took the keys and smiled, following the man with their luggage.

Gerald followed the bellman to the room. It was on the top floor, and the time spent on the elevator was overwhelming. The luggage took up so much room that Kim and Gerald were so close together; he could smell her fruity scent.

Kim was claustrophobic. She wasn’t used to being in such close quarters with anyone, but somehow being close to Gerald wasn’t that bad. She took deep breaths, and everything seemed okay. Her arm would sometimes brush against his, and she could feel the electricity between them, the sparks. But Kim made sure she they weren’t getting to their head. It’s a business trip, she would say to herself every once in awhile. Here she needed to tell herself more than once to make sure it wasn’t going to her head. But what she scared of the most was that she’d feel the sparks in her heart. Good thing it didn’t go there…yet.

The elevators door opened, and it seemed as if the room had the whole floor to itself. Oh no, we’re the only ones on this floor. This can’t be good. Kim thought.

“Here we are,” The bellman said, opening the door for them. The room was huge. It was practically a whole house within two floors. It was unbelievable, two floors in one hotel room.

“This has got to be a joke,” Kim said out loud. She looked to the bellman, “There has to be a mistake. We’re on a business trip; we’re supposed to have two separate rooms. Not the freaking honey moon suite!”

Gerald laughed, “Who would want two rooms when you can have two floors!” He looked away when he caught Kim’s glare. “Sir, salamat.” He walked to the bellman and handed him tip. He leaned down to Kim’s ear. “Stop giving the poor man a hard time.”

She shivered at the warm trace of his breath on her skin. “Thank you so much.” Kim said walking the man to the door, and shutting it behind him. She walked back and found Gerald standing there with his hands in his pockets. Damn, he looks good. “I guess we should decide which floor each one of us gets.” Kim stated. “I call upstairs,” She laughed, already walking to the staircase.

“No, no, no, no,” Gerald said catching up to her and blocking her way. “Upstairs has the bed.”

“You can get the couch.” Kim retorted.

Gerald laughed, “The couch isn’t good for my back, and I’m the basketball player here; the priority of this trip.” He reminded her.

“But I’m the woman, the lady, and I should get the bed.” Kim said.

“We can call in for a futon just for the lady,” he .

“Ugh! You are getting on my nerves Gerald! First, you almost don’t even make it to the airport on time, and then you take up all the space in the elevator, and now you’re trying the bed from me? You can’t possibly be serious.” She said pushing him out of the way and making her way up the stairs.

He laughed at how annoyed she was with him, “Okay let’s get a couple of things straight.” He followed her. “I made it to the airport right on time, the doors weren’t closed.”

“Closing, the door was closing,” she cleared up.

He continued. “The luggage was taking up all the room in the elevator, not me. And maybe you’d have more room if you didn’t rub your arm against mine.” He smiled coyly.

She couldn’t believe this guy. “I did not rub---”

“And I’m not taking the bed from you.” They finally made it to the landing, staring at a very large king-sized bed. “We’re sharing it, apparently. It’s big enough for the both of us.” He said walking passed her, collapsing on the bed.

She knew she wouldn’t be able to make it through the night, let alone the month if they were sharing a bed. “You win, I’ll take the downstairs.” She said turning around.

He laughed again. There was some sort of pleasing feeling that overwhelmed him when he . He admired her desire of getting what she wanted, and she wasn’t taking his crap.

A couple of hours later, she made her way upstairs and found Gerald sleeping on the bed he took from her. She sighed, and turned her body slightly, but then stopped. She turned back around, and walked toward the bed.

Gerald had his hands behind his bed; she noticed he changed out of his plane clothes into something more casual: khaki shorts and a white t-shirt. Watching him sleep reminded her of what she found attractive about him. She smiled.

“That’s not creepy at all,” Gerald opened his eyes, and his face was inches away from hers.

Kim jumped back, but lost her balance, and fell on her back, and hit her head against the nightstand. “Ouch,” She said quietly.

“Are you okay?” Gerald said concerned.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Kim got up to her feet. “I’m sorry. There’s a dinner tonight at 5. I wanted to tell you that, but then you were sleeping, and this happened.” She chuckled embarrassed. “I’m just going to go back--” But her sight started to get hazy.

“Kim?” Gerald asked walking towards her. Kim started walking, but Gerald could see she was having trouble. He caught her arm, “Kim?” He repeated. But Kim fell into his arms, and he caught her.

Gerald carried her onto the bed, and ran downstairs to get some ice. He ran back, and carefully placed the ice on the back of her head where she hit it. He felt like a complete idiot. He caused her to bump her head. He sat beside her, and watched her, changing the ice when needed, and put a blanket on her to keep her from feeling cold.

Her body was so still that he started freaking out when she wasn’t waking up within the hour, but once he looked at the clock, he had four hours until he needed to get ready. He continued to sit beside her, and the TV to keep him entertained. Not that he needed it. Watching Kim was enough to keep him satisfied, but he worried about scaring her when she woke up.

This feeling within him was different. He had a couple of girlfriends during his 25 years of life, but this was different. Kim stirred up something within him that made him happy every time he saw her, even though he only saw her a couple of times. He always got nervous when she was around, and by annoying her or simply teasing her, it was his way of making himself comfortable in the situation.

He heard her groaning, and immediately turned to check on her. “Hey, hey, hey, slowly. It’s okay,” he told her when she tried getting up, “You hit your head pretty bad.” He warned her, and helped her sit up. “How are you feeling?”

“Like a complete idiot,” she said remembering what he caught her doing right before the fall. She put her fingers to the back of her head feeling a small bump. “Ugh, that’s gross,” she said.

Gerald laughed. “You want me to get you anything? Orange juice? Water? Maybe a doctor?”

She smiled thankfully, “Water would be good.”

He stood up, and began walking toward the stairs. “Oh by the way,” He paused to look at her. “You can have the bed. You probably need it more than I do, with the head thing.”

“Thanks, you don’t need to do that though. I mean you are the priority of this trip, right?” Reminding him of what he told her when they were arguing.

“It’s okay. I insist. I wouldn’t want to catch you watching me sleep again.” He laughed before continuing his way downstairs.

Right when she thought he had a nice heart, she changed her mind. “You know it’s those kinds of comments that make you appear like an a—hole.” She called out.

It took him a minute to get back with her glass of water. “I don’t think that’s how you should talk to someone who has just helped you out. I could’ve left you on the floor.”

“Why didn’t you?” Kim asked before drinking. “I mean, it’s not like I was nice to you in the few hours we’ve arrived.”

Gerald smiled, “Well it’s not everyday a woman admits she needs you, so I gotta take what I can get. You needed me; you were just unconscious to actually admit it.” He said swiping a strand of hair out of her eyes.

His touch was soft and delicate. It brought shivers to her skin, and she cautiously moved out of his embrace. She looked to the time, and saw it was 4:45. “We should start getting ready if we want to make it to the dinner.”

“Crap, the dinner. You sure you can make it? You should probably stay here and rest,” Gerald actually had sincere concern in his voice. “I can go by myself. I’m a big boy now.” He smiled.

“And risk losing my job? No thank you. I’ll just take an Advil, and we’ll be on our way.” She moved very slowly, and stood up by herself. “Oh, by the way, it’s formal. So you need a suit.” She held onto the walls as she walked towards the stairs. Gerald ran to her to help her, but she lifted her hand. “It’s okay, I got it.” She assured him.

That moment, their gazes locked. He stared into her violet contacts, and she stared back into his brown eyes. They stared at each other for a good minute before the phone interrupted them. “Are you sure you’re okay?” He asked her.

Kim nodded. “You wanna get that?”

Gerald let go of her arm, and picked up the phone. Kim carefully walked down the stairs, and opened her suitcase that was opened on the floor in the middle of the room. She looked through her formal attire, ad found a red cocktail dress. She took it out, and began changing in the bathroom. “Who was that?!” She called out, remembering to keep her movements slow and careful.

“It was the main desk. The car will be down there in a few minutes!” He said back.

Kim washed her face, and brushed her teeth. She applied her makeup, and fixed her hair in a half up do. She was ready within the ten minutes. When she walked out of the bathroom, Gerald was already waiting for her in the living room. “How do I look?” She asked more for herself, making sure he approved of how she looked.

“Good,” He kept his comment neutral, even though his brain was screaming Amazing, beautiful, breathtaking, radiant!

Kim giggled. “You don’t look half as bad,” she joked. “Let’s go.” She said, putting on her black stilettos.

“Yeah, let’s go.” Gerald said, opening the door for her like a true gentleman.

They went into the elevator, and Kim pressed the Lobby button. It was quiet for awhile, and then Gerald caught Kim closing her eyes. “Kim, maybe you shouldn’t come. Janet will understand. This is a special circumstance.”

Kim kept her eyes closed. “No, I’m fine. It was just a bump on the head. Anyways, I’m already dressed, and we’re already in the elevator.” Kim said, holding onto the walls beside her, with her fingers occasionally sliding down.

Gerald grabbed her hand, and squeezed it tightly, “My hands more sturdy than the walls. Hold on to me.” He said holding her hand.

His hand was warm and comforting. It felt natural to be holding his hand. It wasn’t awkward or uncomfortable; it felt like they were holding hands for forever. “I don’t need to hold your hand,” she whispered quietly, though everything inside her contradicted what she just said.

He chuckled at her, “Well it’s not like you’re letting go.” He squeezed her tiny fingers. The elevator started to make chugging sounds.

“That doesn’t sound good. Please tell me you’re making those sounds.” She said still her eyes shut.

“Calm down, you’re overreacting.” Gerald said, though he was also worried. He could feel his feet shaking, knowing it was the elevator and not him, he stared at Kim. “I think something’s wrong.”

Kim scoffed, “‘Stay Calm.’” She said, and when she opened her eyes to see Gerald staring at her, she said, “Doesn’t help, does it?” The chugging sounds got louder, and they both could feel the elevator stopping, and then move, and then stop again, and move.

The lights started to flicker, and Kim held onto the wall, while Gerald squeezed her hand in his. The constant change in movement caused her head to hurt even more. “I could use the Advil now.” She muttered. And then the elevator let out a big bang, and it came to an abrupt stop causing Kim to fall against the elevator wall, and since Gerald was still holding her hand, he followed her, falling against her. His hands were on each side of her head, and their bodies touching; chest against chest, thigh against thigh.

“I think we stopped,” he whispered.

“Wow, thanks for that observation Sherlock,” she said pushing him away from her. She sat down, though she was a germ phobic, but the headache was a splitting one, and she put her hand on her forehead.

Gerald rolled his eyes, and picked up the phone, dialing 1. “Hi, this is Gerald Anderson. Your elevator is stuck.” He listened into the receiver. “Yes, I have a woman in here with me who hit her head a while ago, and now is experiencing a rather bad headache.” He paused again, and nodded. “Okay, thank-you.” He hung up. “They’re doing everything they can. The man said to take deep breaths, and drink water if you have any with you.”

“I didn’t bring any with me. I assumed we’d be close to the restaurant by now, and not stuck in this elevator.” She said, opening her eyes wide, and than stretched out her legs. “This is just great,” She said, combing her hair back with her fingers. “My first real job and it’s going perfectly.” She stated in a sarcastic tone.

“You know, you take things way too personally. We didn’t know this would’ve happened, if we did we probably would’ve taken the stairs. You got to just calm down. You’re already growing wrinkles, I can see them.” He sat down beside her.

Kim scowled at him. “I can’t believe you’re telling me how to live life when you don’t care about anything. You’re just a young athlete who has their own publicist to tell them what to say and what to think, rather than doing it himself. Of course you don’t take things seriously, because you have people who do it for you, like me.”

“You don’t know,” He said almost as if she struck a nerve. “You don’t know what I’ve done to come to this place in my life. I earned this job, I earned this career, and I’m not going to take your crap about me not earning this lifestyle.”

“That’s not what I’m saying.” Kim defended.

“Really? You’re not saying that I’m this spoiled twenty-five year old who hires people to do the thinking for me? You’re not saying that I don’t do anything for myself? I take things seriously. I care about things myself. You don’t know me.” He repeated.

Kim sat there quietly, not knowing what to say. They were in there for a good fifteen minutes before the phone rang. Kim got up and picked it up. “Hello?” She paused. “Yes, Mr. Anderson’s here…I’m his PR agent, Kim…another five minutes, that’s great, thank-you…Sure, no problem.” She hung up, and stayed standing, leaning on the wall. “It’ll be another five minutes before the elevator starts moving again. It was a blown fuse.” She told Gerald. She played with her fingers, and then turned to look at Gerald. She didn’t realize he took off his coat, and ed his shirt, revealing a white tank top underneath. “I’m sorry.”

Gerald stared up at her. “It’s okay.”

When he didn’t say anything she replied, “That’s it? ‘It’s okay’? Shouldn’t you apologize too?” She crossed her arms over her chest.

“For what?”

Kim thought for a moment. He didn’t really have anything to apologize for. He helped her when she fell; he helped her in the elevator. He was actually a decent person, and now she was demanding an apology. She stammered, and then said, “For being a jerk. All of those horrible comments you made.”

He laughed, “Like you didn’t deserve it, you treated me like a total animal since we got on that plane. And I don’t remember any pleasantries or thank-you’s for actually helping you today. Like you said, I could’ve just left you on the floor, and I didn’t. I even gave you the bed.” He said.

“You want a thank-you? Fine, thank-you for helping me.” Kim looked down, and realized that she was wrong. She hadn’t thanked him for anything, and she was being horrible to him.

He walked closer to her, to the point where his face was just inches away from hers. “Your welcome.” He whispered.

His face was so close to hers, that she could taste his breath when he spoke. Kim’s eyes widened, her heart beating erratically. She had a man inches away from her that was truly irresistible, and she was definitely attracted to. His stare was bold, and intense. Her heart was beating so fast that she was sure Gerald could hear it

Gerald had this amazing woman before him; smart, witty, and beautiful; a woman who he was scared to admit that she affected him in a way that no one has ever done. He put his hand on the side of her face, caressing her smooth, delicate skin. All he wanted to do at that moment was to taste her lips. He began to lean in, but decided to stop himself. He leaned back, and saw her eyes closed. He smiled at the thought that she wanted to kiss him too, and she was ready. Gerald cleared his throat.

Kim opened her eyes, and found that Gerald was a few feet away from her. She straightened her dress and stared to the front, and the closed doors. “So I thought you were right about me not knowing you, and I want to.” She took a deep breath, composing herself from the almost kiss. “I want to get to know you, so maybe after your practice tomorrow, you might want to go get something to eat?” She couldn’t believe the words coming out of , that she was actually asking him out.

“Lunch?” He asked, smiling. “Right, I think you still owe me lunch from our first meeting, when you turned me down.” He smirked.

Kim returned the smile, “It’s strictly a business thing. Agent getting to know her client, that’s all.” She clarified.

The doors suddenly opened, and Kim was being stared at by plenty of people, and cameras. “Crap,” she muttered. “Gerald…” But she saw him walk out and sign autographs, saying hello to all his fans. She smiled, it was good to see him as humble as she hoped him to be.

Kim walked out, but was stopped by a flood of cameras, “Ms. Chiu, any comments on the article about your client.”

She had no idea about what they were talking, in fact she was surprised that they knew her name and she was Gerald’s publicist. “I’m sorry?” She replied. And read the headline on the magazine in the man’s hand. YOUNG PLAYER, YOUNG DAD? “No comment,” she replied. She pushed her way out of the glittering lights, and grabbed Gerald’s arm also.

“Hey, what were you doing, I was talking my fans.” He said.

“You have some explaining to do,” she said back, and took out cell phone, calling Melissa.

Kim sat at the far end of the car, as far away as she could sit from Gerald. She couldn’t believe what just happened: they almost kiss, she just asked him out to lunch, and now she finds out he is a possible father? The phone rang three times before Melissa picked up. “Oh Kim, I was trying to call you. There’s an article about Gerald.”

“Yeah, I know. Some photographer was trying to get a comment from me just now. How did that happen, I thought you had everything under control while I’m here. Melissa, I don’t know what to do.” Kim said in a panic mode.

Melissa sighed, “Kim, you know exactly what to do, you have a press conference tomorrow don’t you, and I’m sure you’re at the party right now. Just postpone all the questions until the press conference, and tell Gerald to be honest. Tell him that he shouldn’t lie and say he’s a , when we all know he’s not. Tell him to say this is his first time of hearing about the alleged pregnancy, and he’s going to be responsible about it once he arrived back home. You need to talk to the mother, and schedule a pregnancy test, and figure out what happened.” She coached her.

“Okay, thanks. I’ll call you back for an update, okay?” Kim said, hanging up after Melissa agreed.

“What’s going on?” Gerald asked, still oblivious to what was happening.

Kim turned to face him, and even though she hated what she was about to do, she knew it was her job. “You need to tell me who was the last girl you slept with.”

He laughed, “Are you kidding? You want to know about my life? Why? What’s in it for you?”

She rolled her eyes, “My job. There’s an article about you being a potential father, so I think I’m the one who should be asking the questions. Please tell me that this woman is an ex-girlfriend.” For her sake, not only for his. She never went after a taken man before, and she wouldn’t start now; not that she was planning on going after him in the first place.

“She has to be an ex-girlfriend, it’s not like I have one right now.” He said, knowing she would be happy of hearing it. “So what are we going to do?”

Kim took a deep breath, “Let’s try to postpone all the questions until tomorrow’s press conference. But until then, just keep your mouth shut, and let me do all the talking. We don’t need you screwing this up for both of us.”

Gerald starting buttoning his shirt, and caught Kim’s obvious glances to his chest. He smiled. “You can stare.” He said.

Kim turned her head to stare at him. She didn’t answer. “Uh…” she stammered. “We should talk about this later.” Kim finally said.

“About me buttoning my shirt? I don’t think so.” He joked, smiling.

Kim hated it when he made those stupid comments. “No, I mean about the article. This isn’t a joke, Gerald. I don’t understand why you’re not freaking out.”

He stared at her finally serious, “I have people who so it for me.” He replied bitterly, reminding her of their conversation in the elevator.

Kim looked away, embarrassed. She stayed quiet for the rest of the ride there. The car came to a stop, and the chauffeur opened the door. Before Gerald was about to go out, she caught his arm. He stared down at her hands, and then back at her. Every time he stared at her, her insides would begin a fluttering dance. It’s like she was back in high school. “Remember,” she started. “No questions until tomorrow.”

He nodded. Her touch was soft and warm. He remembered it when he held her small hand in his. It gave him a feeling he hadn’t felt in a long time: Security. She made him feel secure, and he liked that feeling.

The two of them walked out to only a few flashing cameras. Kim stepped back into the sidelines, while Gerald could have his time in the lime light. She watched him smile, and gaze into each camera that asked for a picture. She smiled. He gave each camera attention, and didn’t leave anyone out. But Kim could see that there was something beyond that smile, something almost sad looking; like behind the smile he was hiding some sort of pain. She even felt it in the elevator, when she told him she wanted to get to know him; she could sense some walls there. Right then, Kim made it her mission to break down those walls and get to know the real Gerald Anderson; not the one who made stupid comments and jokes to hide the real things he was feeling and thinking.

After spending about two minutes outside, Kim cleared . “Gerald,” she whispered in his ear, “we should go in.”

He nodded. “Okay everyone, looks like the boss says it’s time to go. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow at the press conference.” He walked in before Kim.

“You didn’t have to do that, invite everyone. We want a low key press conference tomorrow, not full of hound dogs read to tear you to shreds.” She said to him low enough for only him to hear.

He stopped and turned to face her, causing her to stop abruptly, and bump into him. “Hey--”

“You have little faith in people Ms. Chiu,” he said sighing, fixing her hair; carefully touching her skin. “This shows you have little faith in yourself. So stop analyzing everything, and stand up straight with confidence. Because one you believe in yourself, everything else will fall into place.” He rambled. “And you’d look way hotter if you had some confidence.” He smiled, and continued walking.

Kim fell into step with him, and muttered, “I do have confidence.” She heard Gerald’s chuckle beside her.

The party was awfully boring for Kim. Two hours passed, and the only thing they were serving were hors’dourves; tiny little food things that didn’t help someone who hadn’t eaten anything all day. She stayed in the background while Gerald mingled with his team mates and their girlfriends. The only thing she took from the waiter was water, despite her desire of something stronger like whiskey, or anything that had the capability of getting drunk. Maybe that will make this party seem livelier.

No one had their publicists with them, so she was silently yelling at herself that she didn’t take Gerald’s advice for staying at the hotel. He didn’t even bother to come and ask if I’m okay, Km thought to herself. Gerald spent the entire time with his team, and though she knew that was the whole point of this dinner, she wanted him to be with her, keep her company; talk to her; make jokes with her that made him laugh, made him smile, and maybe by the end of the night they’d continue what didn’t happen in the elevator. Kim shook her head. What are you talking about, Kim? Stop, stop thinking about that right now.

What was wrong with her? A year ago, she wouldn’t even think about having those kids of thoughts about someone, let alone feeling this way for a client. But then again she didn’t meet Gerald a year ago, she met him now. She continued watching him from across the room. Watching him smile, watching him laugh, and watching him with all that confidence he had within himself. Maybe he’s right. Maybe that’s why I find him so attractive; he has confidence.

She thought about how she was sitting. Kim was slouching in her chair, and she wasn’t even crossing her legs. I must look like a complete fool! Kim sat up, and straightened her back, not realizing that by doing that, she was sticking out her chest. That’s why guys like it when girls stand up straight. She took her legs out from underneath the table, and crossed her legs, putting one hand on her knee, and the other holding her glass. No one even looked back at her, now that she was sitting with more “confidence.”

Kim tried to think back. Her and Erich would always go to the bars, and try to hook up with guys. Though Erich was always successful, she had some good conversations with some guys. Okay, what did Erich do? She would laugh, she remembered, but that wouldn’t help her because no one was talking to her, and she wasn’t about to laugh out loud…alone. She would…damn it, what else does she do? Her mind came to a complete blank.

Right then, someone’s hands were on her back, “Don’t look so excited, you’ll scare everyone away.” Kim saw Gerald beside her, with shivers running up her spine. “Wait, scare who away? No one is even here. I guess you already scared them away.” He .

Kim couldn’t help but smile. “I….thought….maybe….you didn’t want me to socialize since this is your party. I thought you’d be happy that I wasn’t stealing the spotlight off of you.” She thought quickly.

“Oh, really?” He stared at her, admiring her smile. She had fantastic cheekbones, and her eyes lit up whenever she smiled. Something he definitely preferred over her grouchy or angry face.

She laughed, sweeping her hair behind her hair. “Yeah. Anyways, I was thinking of going home early. I mean it looks like you don’t need me.” She said, turning around, getting her bag.

“I’ll come with you.” He offered.

“No, it’s okay. Really. I’ll just call a cab.” Kim said standing up.

“But they didn’t even serve dinner. At least stay until after dinner.” Gerald said, trying not to make her leave. He really wanted her there.

She smiled, “Actually, I was thinking of ordering in room service. Grilled chicken Caesar salad, then some steak, cooked rare, roasted potato wedges with brown rice, and chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. No, maybe a hot fudge sundae. Or maybe both. Yeah, I’m definitely going to go for both.” She looked up, imagining eating all that food, and ending the night in a big, comfortable, king-sized bed, and maybe with Gerald beside her. Well, she doesn’t need Gerald beside her, she assured herself.

“That sounds good. Mind if I join you?” He said, looking forward to eating the most romantic dessert known to man kind with a beautiful woman.

“Shouldn’t you stay here? I mean what would it look like if you were off skipping the party with your publicist?” She raised an eyebrow.

He looked around the room, seeing that no one was really paying attention to him or to Kim. “I’m sure they’ll make it without me here.” He stretched out his hand, waiting for her to accept it. “You ready.”

Kim cleared . “Yeah, let’s go.” She ignored his hand, not wanting to increase the attraction between the two of them. She walked ahead of him, and hailed a cab. Gerald followed her inside.

In case the same incident that occurred just a couple of hours beforehand, she decided to take the stairs, and Gerald gladly agreed.

They made it back to the room, and Kim went straight to the bathroom to change out of her dress. Gerald offered to order off the menu as she changed. She nodded.

She was out within two minutes, letting her wavy hair down, and now in some plaid shorts, and only a jersey on. When she walked out, she saw Gerald on the couch listening to his iPod, wearing flannel pants and a dark salmon shirt. She smiled, preferring this look more than a formal suit attire, though he looked just as good in a suit. She sat beside him, curling her legs beneath her. “Sorry for pulling you out of your party.”

He took off his ear buds, and shook his head. “Hey, the last time I checked, I offered to leave with you while you were trying to make me stay.”

“Oh, right. Never mind, I take that apology back,” she laughed. “Flannel pyjamas?” She tried to stifle her laugh.

“I get cold,” He defended. “Nice jersey. I didn’t take you for an athlete’s girl.”

She shrugged. “It was my dad’s when he was in high school. I feel the most comfortable in it than anything else. And, I can be an athlete’s girl. I have two brothers who also play basketball, so they taught me a few things.”

“Really, well I wanna see those skills once we’re on the court.” He proposed.

“You will, then.” She smiled.

There was a knock on the door, and Gerald was the first one to get up and get it. A man in a white jacket pushed in a table with all the food Gerald ordered. It was way more than she thought. “Thanks man,” he said, handing him a couple of bills. Gerald pushed the table, closer to the couch where they were both sitting and took a seat next to Kim. “How are you feeling? I mean the whole head thing.”

“I’m fine.” She said, forgetting that she fell. It stopped hurting once they arrived at the party. “I almost forgot it happened.”

“Well good. I spoke to the main desk and asked if he had any first aid training. He said he did, almost too proud, and said that you’ll be fine drinking this…” he took out a bottle of wine. “So, bon appetite!” She laughed. Oh, I love that laugh, he said to himself.

Within an hour, the food was practically all gone. Only a few strawberries were left, and the bottle of wine was almost empty. They spent the last hour talking and laughing…mostly laughing. It was safe to say that they were both a little drunk. Maybe not a little; they were drunk. He tried to pour the rest of the bottle into his glass, but filled about a quarter of his glass, and they started laughing. “Uh oh,” he said.

“That’s not fair, you can’t have all the wine!” Kim whined, trying to look inside the bottle. “There’s none left.”

He took a sip, and then handed the glass to her. “Here, you can have the rest.”

“What a gentleman,” she said, drinking the rest of it “That was good. That was really really good. I’m glad we skipped out on the dinner back at that party. It was bo-ring!” She said, putting the glass on the table.

“Alam mo Kim, you should smile more. You have a very nice smile.” He said after taking a long breath,

She chuckled, “That’s the wine talking.”

“No, I’m serious. You have the most beautiful smile I’ve ever seen.” Though he was drunk, he was still aware of what was going on. And he saw the redness tone taking over the light colour of her skin. “You’re blushing.”

Immediately, she came back to earth. Somehow her body rejected the side effects of the wine, and she no longer felt drunk, but she felt his longing stares “I’m not.” She put her hands against her cheeks, feeling the heat emanating from them, knowing she must be as red as an apple.

He sighed, smiling. “See, how she leans her cheek upon her hand! / O, that I were a glove upon that hand, / That I might touch that cheek.” He said.

It was her favourite line from her favourite Shakespearean play. “Gerald.” She said, dropping her hand from her face, and keeping them in front of her.

“I’m sorry.” He laughed. “You’re right, it’s the wine talking.” Though he knew otherwise.

“I’m gonna go outside for some air.” She said, getting up, though almost falling. She opened the balcony door, and felt the moonlight shining on her, and the cool dewy air upon her skin.”

Gerald walked behind her. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. You said the most perfect line for the most perfect play.” She shook her head, breathing in the New York breeze. “Did you know that’s my favourite play, and the best part?”

He laughed, “It’s mine too. I played Romeo in high school.” He confessed. “People thought it was gay of me, I thought it was quite romantic.”

She smiled. “I’m gonna go back inside, make some coffee. You want some?” She said, trying to get away from him. He was so different from any guy she’s ever met before. He quoted Shakespeare, the most romantic poet ever. Gerald was becoming more and more like the man she always dreamed of wanting in her life. It almost seemed worth it, all the rude comments he made hours before just because of this one hour they spent together.

“It’s okay.” He said, turning back around, facing the night sky. He heard footsteps as they faded away in the distance. He sighed. She is so beautiful. He couldn’t believe that a woman can look so damn gorgeous and evoke the feelings inside of him. He couldn’t wait to feel her, taste her soft lips, since it took every inch of him to stop himself right then and there; even though he had the excuse of being drunk. He finally knew what he was feeling, why he felt so different around her. He finally realized that she touched him somewhere no other woman touched him before. In such little time, she touched his heart.

She was in the kitchen brewing coffee into the coffee maker, watching his back; unknowingly she was thinking the exact same way he was.