Welcomed Stranger

So Close [completed]

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"> <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"> <meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"> <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:\\DOCUME~1\\ADMINI~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\msohtml1\\01\\clip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="PlaceType"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style>

The next couple of days went as a routine. Gerald left for practice way before Kim woke up, and she’d have to wake up alone, but to a sweet note left beside with his name signed with “love.” It brought a smile to her face, and she loved it because that would mean she’d start the day off smiling, and happy, and giddy inside. Then she’d call Erich and talk to her. Shortly after, Gerald would arrive back to the hotel and they went for walks outside; an appropriate distance away from each other to “hide” their relationship, but both of them longing for each other’s touch. And the evening would be shared at a local restaurant eating dinner, and the nights would be spent in each other’s arms, dreaming of what could be.

It was the day before Gerald’s practice, and she spent it like every other day. She was on the phone with Erich who had surprisingly good news to share. “Kimmy, I got myself a boyfriend!”

Kim couldn’t hold it in, she burst into laughter. “Oh right, what’s his name this time?” She knew Erich, she couldn’t stay interested in a guy for longer than a week, and this revelation of hers, Kim didn’t buy it.

“I’m serious. And don’t laugh, your love life happens to be more pathetic than mine. You haven’t dated anyone in 2 years, and then the next boy you sleep with is your client who you only knew for two days?” Erich reminded her.

Kim rolled her eyes. “Point taken. So who is this new boyfriend of yours?”

Erich went on an on about this guy she met at a bar, and went out for a couple of dates. “The way you were talking about how Gerald made you feel and your deeper connection with him that went beyond made me realize that I wanted something deeper than flings. I am 27 years old, and I want to have a life where I can settle down and be happy about the choices I’ve made just like you are with yours.”

“Aw, are you getting sentimental with me?” Kim . “Well, I’m glad about your revelation, but there are some decisions I’m not proud of making.” She replied.

Erich laughed, “Oh coming from Miss Perfect. What are the decisions you can’t possibly live with yourself? Sleeping with Gerald?”

Kim looked down. “Surprisingly, that’s not one of them.” She looked at the door when she heard a knock. “‘Rich, I got to go. I’ll call you back.” She hung up her cell phone and opened the door.

“Hi, I’m looking for Gerald Anderson. The doorman said I could come up.” There was a blond girl who looked like she was in her early twenties, and very much pregnant.

“Gerald’s not here. He’s at a practice, but he should be back in an hour. Can I help you?” Kim asked, inviting her in.

The blond entered the hotel room, and looked around. “No, only Gerald can. I’m Emma. Emma Sarmiento.”

The name sounded familiar. And then it hit her. Pregnant, Emma, article. “Emma?” Kim said as her muscles tensed.

“I’m guessing Gerald told you about me.” She said. “I can leave if you want. I just needed to talk to Gerald. An hour, right?”

Kim shook her head. “Please, have a seat. I’m not about to send a pregnant lady out. Can I get you anything? Water, a soda?”

“Water’s good, thanks.” Emma took a seat on the leather couch. “You and Gerald…” Emma trailed off as if expecting to say they were dating, though she hasn’t heard of anything.

She poured a cup of water, and handed it to her. “I’m his publicist.” Kim took a seat beside her. “And yeah, when the article came out about your pregnancy, he didn’t have a choice but to tell me.”

“Did he also tell you that he may be the father?”

The words hit Kim in the gut. This was the issue that she pushed to the back of her mind. “Do you mind me asking what you’re doing here?”

“I watched the press conference, and I was fighting with myself on whether or not I should come and talk to Gerald in person. I finally made my decision and hopped on the first flight out here.” She paused. “I called one of Gerald’s friends on the team and said he was here in the Palace, and the doorman said I could come up. I guess he recognized me; I’ve been on a couple of magazines, right?”

Kim looked at her. She was pretty; she could see why Gerald had interest in her. “That doesn’t really the question.” However, Kim was scared on learning the truth.

“Gerald might be the dad, and I don’t want any trouble. He said he wanted a paternity test; I’m willing to give him one. We should both be out of misery, knowing who the real father is. He’s a great guy, you shouldn’t let him go.” Emma explained.

Kim looked at her with widened eyes, forcing a laugh. “We’re not together, honestly. I’m his publicist.”

“I’m not saying you’re not, but I can see how you say his name. It may be professional, but I can tell you feel more.” Emma responded. “It’s the way I used to look when we were together. My eyes would light up at the sound of his name, heart would beat faster. I tried to deny it, but Gerald does his thing, and you just can’t. So you can deny him all you want, but I see through it. I’ve been there.” Emma smiled.

Heat rushed to Kim’s cheeks. Emma just explained all the symptoms to the way Gerald made her feel. “No one knows.” There was no point in hiding it now. And it felt good to be open about. Yeah, she was open about it to Erich, but she was face to face with Emma, and this was new communication she felt like she needed. “If someone finds out, it won’t end up good.” Kim chuckled.

“I can see why he likes you. Your smile, your optimism.” Kim stared at her. “I read up on you. I heard you were his agent, and I wanted to see what I was up against.” She smiled. “Don’t worry, that was a joke. Gerald deserves to be happy, and he seems happy.”

The spent the rest of the hour talking about girl stuff. If they met under different circumstances, Kim would consider her as a friend. Hell, she did consider her as a friend. But it felt weird because she was befriending someone who might be pregnant with the guys she liked.

Gerald arrived back, and saw the surprise of his life: the girl he might be in love with and the girl he stopped loving. The two women stopped laughing and looked up at him. “You have a visitor.” Kim mentioned.

“What are you doing here?” He asked bitterly, keeping his distance.

Kim walked to him, and put a hand on his arm trying to comfort him. “Ge, it’s okay. She’s doing you a favour.”

“You want a paternity test, so I’ll give it to you. It’s the least I can do for hurting you.” Emma stood up, staring at him with sorry eyes.

“You could’ve had one already. How’s Mike?” He mentioned his friend’s name to make the situation seem more real and not a dream.

Emma looked down. “I deserved that. Mike and I are not together. We haven’t spoken in weeks.”

“We haven’t either,” Gerald said, his emotional walls built higher. Kim intertwined their fingers, trying to calm him.

“I saw the press conference a week ago, and I assumed you’d want to know the truth. I’m not here to cause you pain, Gerald. I’m trying to help you, and in the process help me.” Emma took a deep breath. “You don’t have to believe me, but I moved on, and maybe this will bring us closure.” She took her bag, and walked to the door.

Kim smiled as she passed. “You should come tomorrow. It’s Gerald’s first game.”

“I’ll see.” Emma said goodbye, and left.

Gerald took his hand away, and threw his jacket on the couch. “What did you just do.”

Kim smiled. “Oh come on. I like her. She’s nice and sweet and charming….”

“And very much pregnant.”

Kim walked to him, and wrapped her hands around his neck. “I’m trying to keep that out of my mind. But she seems truly genuine, and wants to make right. She’s giving you a paternity test, something that will help your career one way or another.” Kim lightly touched her lips to his. “Look, we both have things we need to think through. As much as I hate to admit, I’ve been thinking about my mom, and now Emma is in town. We shouldn’t let this get between us, right?”

He had his hands on her waist. “When did you begin to change from worrywart to a carefree gal?”

She laughed. “I’m not entirely carefree. But I started to change because of you.” He smiled. “You made me see that life is worth waiting and seeing how things turn out, rather than anticipating what could be, and ruining your plan because of it. I calmed down.” She said repeating the words he constantly told her to do. “And you helped with my mom. You don’t know it, but you did. You held me when I needed to be held, and you listened when needed to be listened to. So think of it as me trying to help you.”

He smiled, and walked to the kitchen, pouring himself a drink. “By inviting her to my game? That’s not helping me, that’s distracting me.”

Kim sighed, and took a seat on the stool across from him. “You didn’t tell me she was pretty.” She took his glass from his, and took a drink.

“You thought I went out with ugly girls? I went out with you,” he .

“I just didn’t think about it. But she’s beautiful. Her piercing hazel eyes, her cherry red lips, blond long locks. I can see why you dated her.”

He laughed. “Is someone jealous?” He walked around, and spun the stool around so she was facing him.

Kim scoffed. “Of course not.” She forced a laugh, though she was clearly threatened by Emma. She thought of herself as pretty, but because it was what everyone girl thought in order to have confidence. But seeing Gerald’s ex-girlfriend, who may be tied to him forever with a child, she was definitely afraid Gerald might see what he was missing while he was doing his agent.

He laughed again, and put his hands on each side of her face, bringing her into a kiss. “You’re cute when you’re jealous. But don’t worry; she is nothing compared to you.” He bushed hair away from her face.

Reality Check

On the day of Gerald’s basketball game, he was called into the gym to practice, thus leaving Kim all alone again. She was in the living room waiting for Gerald to come back, but then she got a message on her cell phone. “Hey, its Ge. The practice is going longer than I thought, but I can’t wait to see you tonight. The car will be there to pick you up at 6:00, by beautiful.” He must’ve left the message while she was in the steamy shower, thinking about Gerald. A smile crept on her face.

There was only thing that was bothering her. She was tired of staying in the hotel the whole day, and she didn’t want to go out alone because she was scared of running into her mom again. Days have passed, and she not one of those came where she didn’t think about her mom. She didn’t have any friends around, Erich and Melissa were back home; and then she remembered Emma. Emma left her number with Kim in case she wanted to do anything. Kim had no choice but to trust her. She seemed honest, and trustworthy, and after their conversation again, it felt good to have a conversation face-to-face with someone who wasn’t Gerald. Not to mention the face that she knew all about Gerald. Though, She might be carrying Gerald’s child, she wouldn’t pass this friendship up for a lack of what ifs. She took her phone out, and called Emma, asking if she’d like to go out shopping or something to eat. Emma gladly agreed for she didn’t know anyone else in the city.

They met up at the Manhattan Mall, on 6th Ave and 33rd St. “Emma!” She called out, and Emma walked to her.

“Oh, I thought I came to the wrong mall. I was actually surprised you called me.” She confessed, opening the door entering the mall.

“Gerald’s the one with the problem. Not me.” Kim said smiling. “And I figured since I was lonely all alone in the city, you must be twice as lonely because you don’t have anyone. And every girl needs a shopping break. I figured you didn’t have one in a while.” She implied her pregnancy.

“4 months.” She specified. “My clothes hardly fit.” She chuckled nervously.

Kim nodded, not realizing how far along she was. “Well, this is the best mall for shopping.” The two of them made their way through each store, browsing for new outfits. They made small talk, touching on the weather, what Emma did back home, what her plans were here in the city, her plans for going back home.

“I actually was starting to look at apartments. My parents aren’t really accepting the way I live my life: having a child out of wedlock. My best friend was going to live with me because her lease on her place is almost up, but I don’t mind if I’m alone.” She shrugged, taking out a strapless dress. “All of these clothes are for after the baby.” She muttered. “Anyways, I was going to go the doctor’s office this evening.”

“You want company?” Kim offered, not wanting her to do this alone. No one should be alone in this situation, and since both potential fathers had a problem with her, Kim felt like she should step up.

Emma stared at stunned. “Really? You’d do that? I mean, it’s not weird?”

Kim took out a red v-neck sweater. “Of course I’d go with you. And yeah, it may be a little weird, but I would like to think you’d do the same for me if it were reversed, you know.” She smiled, and held the top up in the mirror against her body.

“Thank you. I really appreciate it. And that colour goes well with your skin. Maybe some dark washed jeans, and you got yourself a casual date outfit for you and Gerald.” Emma stated.

Kim looked down, getting a little awkward. “Do you think it’s weird? That I’m dating your ex? Or that we’re becoming friends?”

Emma laughed. “Me and Gerald ended things on a bitter note, but there’s nothing I regret with what happened. Of course I wished it ended differently, but I would never regret being pregnant. As for you dating my ex; I’d rather have you dating him than some gold digger who’s only in it for the money. And I don’t think it’s weird. Like I said, I only want him to be happy, and you make him happy, seeing him in the magazines always with a smile on his face. I just hope you don’t find it weird.”

“A little. I mean, it’s just you and him have known each other for a year and a half, and there’s some things I understand he doesn’t want to tell me, but you know them. And as much as I want to know about his life, we’re going to stop whatever it is that’s going on in a couple of weeks, so technically I have no right asking or pushing him to tell me.” Kim confessed.

Emma nodded, understanding completely. “I get it. You want to know him inside and out. Here’s something you should know about Gerald. Gaining his trust is easy, but just because you get tear down one wall, there’s going to be another to break. He’s full of issues,” she chucked. “He’s just afraid of opening himself completely because of what’s he’s been through. But once you break down all those walls, and he understands you’ll accept him no matter what, he’s even better than what you could ever expect.”

A couple of hours passed, and they were now holding a couple of bags in each hand. They stopped by a local caf�, and grabbed a seat to eat. “So I was thinking, are you coming to tonight’s game?”

She laughed. “I’d love to, but would Gerald mind?”

“Well, it’s not up to Gerald. He has to stay at the practice for the day, so why not come over to the hotel and we’ll get ready together. The car’s already scheduled to pick us up.” Kim mentioned.

“Sounds great.” They finished, and made their way back to the hotel.

The two of the spent the rest of the day getting ready. Emma made suggestions about the clothes Kim should wear tonight: “look subtle, but y” she advised. And Kim even lent her clothes to Emma though she had her shopping with her.

It was already 5:45, and they were pretty much ready, only waiting for the main desk to call and say the car was ready for them downstairs. “So how did this even happen? You and Gerald. Isn’t it against your code of conduct to date a client?”

Kim chuckled. “Pretty much, that’s why no one knows. It all started pretty quick, really. I mean when I first met Gerald, he came across as this arrogant SOB, and I couldn’t stand him. I mean obviously he was gorgeous, I am a woman, of course I realized it, but I kept on that professionalism. You know, when my boss told me about his trip, I didn’t think it would work I thought I didn’t have enough practice, it was really my first day on the job. But I was determined to make it work.” She took a pause, and saw Emma waiting for more. “He was late to the airport, and at that moment, I didn’t even remember why I was so nervous. To me, he was this total loser, who didn’t even deserve the time of day. He had no respect, no consideration. Do you even know what he said when he barely made it through the doors? ‘Right on time,’ and nudged my arm. He didn’t even see how angry or irritated I was.”

Emma laughed. “Sounds familiar.”

Kim shook her head. “And then we arrived, and we got to the hotel, and you should have seen my face when they told us we’re sharing a room. I was so angry, I was going to offer to leave the hotel and find my own. And then we had this argument about who got the bed. And of course, he won the argument; claiming it was trip and the couch wasn’t going to help his back.” Emma smiled. “He was unbelievable. But, when he was sleeping, I walked upstairs, and went to him, and just watched him. With my luck, he woke up, and I fell and hit my head.”

“Oh no.”

Kim nodded. “Yeah. I don’t really remember anything else, but I do remember him picking me up, and settling me down on the bed. He stayed with me. He even offered to stay with me during his welcome dinner for the team. But I told him I was fine, and we went.” Kim laughed at the memory. “The next thing you know, we’re trapped in the elevator. I think that was when I began seeing the real Gerald. I said something, and he got so defensive. I apologized, and then he almost kissed me. But in that moment, everything just went chaotic. Like the tension in that tiny box was so thick. I wanted to kiss him, too. All of my professionalism went out the window. But he stopped it. That was the same day I found about you, and I got so mad at myself for doing that.”

Emma looked down ashamed. “I’m sorry.”

Kim laughed. “I don’t blame you. I think it was you who made me see the real him. When I saw him at the press conference, I didn’t even coach him, so his answer was him; it was all him. He told me he felt sorry for you. That you never wanted to be in the spotlight, and that even though you hurt him, he didn’t want to see you in pain. I got a glimpse of his heart that night. It was also the same night we slept together.” She laughed again, staring into the distance, not focusing on Emma. “After two days of knowing, of being with him, we slept together. It went against everything I believed in, but somehow, it felt so right. His arms around me, him kissing me; I felt so safe, so serene. The day after, we spent the entire day at Central Park, and nothing else existed but me and him. I remember everything about that day; it was perfect. It was everything what I wanted in life: someone in my life who would stay by my side, and who’d protect me from anything; someone who would make smile, and make me feel like it was only the two of us who existed, who mattered. Being with him just made re-evaluate everything in my life, and now I don’t know what I’m gong to do once we leave. I know it has to end, but a part of me just questions whether or not I’m going to be able to walk away from this. And right now, I don’t think I can.” She admitted, looking down.

The phone rang and said that the car was downstairs. Kim laughed off the embarrassment she felt. “Let’s go.”

Emma walked with her to the car, and realized she never felt that way about Gerald. He was always by her side, but it never crossed her mind, or she never thought about Gerald that way. He was her safety net, someone she could go to anytime she had a problem, but he was never the one that made her feel that special. Maybe he did, but she never felt it, or never thought about. Emotions overwhelmed her, realizing that Gerald was never meant for her, but for this woman in front of her, and se suddenly felt so alone. She could never be the one to break this up. That was the moment she decided to raise this baby alone, whether or not it was Gerald, but she’d find out tomorrow.

They arrived at Madison Square Gardens, and took their seats. Because Kim had connections, they got pretty good seat; a couple of seats from floor seats. She made sure Gerald saw her when ran out in his jersey. He looked y as ever in his territory.

When Gerald caught sight of her, he saw her smiling which made his heart melt. He winked back at her, and her smile grew impossibly wider. He made an internal dedication: this game was for her; the first game of the season was for the first girl who ever made him feel this way. The first half of the game, the opposing team was winning, and he regretted ever making that dedication. But when the coach gave them a pep talk, or a speech full of cussing, and telling the players what an idiot they’re making him look, he got his head in the game.

Gerald went back on the court, and every time he saw Kim up on her seat, cheering him on, he got that extra help he needed to help him win the game. He saw her smile, and every time he did, he would steal the ball and score the basket. And when he saw her clapping her hands, jumping up and down, he would steal the ball, and score another basket. He didn’t even care that Emma was there, all that mattered was Kim there supporting him.

There was 2 minutes left on the clock, and his team was down by two. The coach called a time-out. “Okay, there’s two minutes left, and you’re down by two. You make this basket, and we prove everyone wrong. The people who doubted our capability, the people who doubted your capability. Go back in there, and go at them hard. Steal the ball, and just run for the basket. Remember teamwork. You don’t get this far without your team-mates. Are you ready?” The coach asked. “Win on the count of three. 1..2..3..WIN!” They all yelled.

Kim stood back up, and stared at the clock. “You can do it,” she whispered. She began yelling defence like everyone else in the stadium, and the buzzer came on.

The referee gave the team the ball, and the time started. Gerald ran, and the next thing she saw was Gerald holding the ball. Kim cheered, yelling with excitement. “Go Ge!!” She screamed.

Gerald passed the ball to Matt, and they started running for the basket. But then Matt got surrounded, and threw the ball to another guy, Aaden. Gerald was opened, and Aaden threw it back to Gerald. 24 seconds left on the clock, and he was looking around, not sure if he could make the basket. All his team-mates were blocked, and it was only him. He took one last look at Kim, who stared at him with intense eyes. He saw her stare at the clock at there was 7 seconds left. She smiled at him, and he turned to the basket, and threw the ball hard.

5…4…3…The ball hit the rim of the basket and started to turn…2…1…just as the buzzer buzzed, the ball fell through.

Kim and Emma grabbed hands, and started jumping up and down, screaming as everyone else did. Gerald made the winning shot.

All of Gerald’s team-mates ran to him, and grabbed him, carrying him. He looked over to the audience, and saw Kim jumping up and down. He smiled at her, and she smiled back. She blew kisses to him, and continued cheering with the audience.

As everyone started to leave the stadium, Gerald walked to the court where some fans stayed and asked for autographs, and also some cameras flashed at the winning team. He ignored all of them, and went straight to Kim who jumped in arms. “That was incredible! You were amazing!” She said against his ear all excited and hyper from the intensity of the game.

He squeezed her tight. “Thank you.”

“We should go out and celebrate.” Kim suggested, hopping down, and standing in front of him beaming at his success.

“Actually, I was hoping maybe we could stay in.” He said.

She nodded. “Sounds perfect. I’ll go call the car.” She said, leaving him with a kiss on the cheek.

He saw Emma walk towards him, and the smile began to fade, but he didn’t move away. “Congratulations.” She said.

“Thanks.” He said, having a trace of bitterness in his voice.

Emma sighed. “Gerald, can we please stop this. I’m not out here to get you. I’m trying to give you what you want.”

He scoffed. “And where was this generosity when we were together? All I wanted was for you to be with me, not anyone else.” He told her, reminding her of what she did.

She smiled, “And make you miss out on Kim? I don’t think that’s what you wanted.” She paused. “I am sorry for what happened, Ge, but are you really saying that you’d rather be with me than with Kim?” He stayed quiet. “I approve of her.” She chuckled. “You have the ex-girlfriend’s approval for the new girl in your life.” She teased nudging his arm.

He shook his head, taking a seat on the benches. “Emma, don’t. Don’t make this seem like it’s not a big deal, because it is. You cheated on me with my friend, and now you’re pregnant.”

Emma sighed. “Look, that’s the least of your worries. I already decided: I’m raising this baby alone. I have my friends back home who’ll help me, and I’m sure my parents will come around. So if you’re the father, you can be as involved as you want, and I won’t force anything. But what you should be worrying is about that beautiful girl you have waiting for you.” She paused seeing his reaction soften when she changed the subject to Kim. “I just spent the day with her, and she explained to me how she feels about you. Gerald, I never felt that deeply about you.”

He laughed. “Thanks.”

“I don’t mean that, I just mean that Kim…she’s not someone who you meet everyday. She’s rare, Ge. When she was talking about you, she had this gleam in her eye, and this smile I’ve never seen on a woman before except when she’s in love. And as much as you may not want to believe it, but she’s in love with you Ge; way more in love with you than I ever was…and you were with me. You two have something special that should go longer than a month, Gerald.” She saw him look away. “And she knows that. Because one of the last things she said to me was that she wasn’t ready to let you go.”

He rubbed his face. “I’m sorry Emma, for how I treated you.” He changed the subject.

Emma chuckled. “Change the subject all you want, but you can’t just sweep this under the rug, Ge. She loves you – after a week of knowing you, she already loves you. What are you going to do about it?” She stood up and looked at his expression on his face. “And from what I see, you love her too.” She laughed. She bent down, and kissed his cheek. “I forgive you Gerald.” She whispered for his apology. She stood back up, and saw Kim waiting with a confused expression. “Your girl is waiting,” she mentioned. “And it looks like you might want to explain what happened.”

Emma walked over to Kim who had her arms crossed. “He’s all yours.” She smiled at Kim genuinely.

erald walked over to Kim, and a look far away from happy. “That wasn’t…”

“That wasn’t what I thought it was?” She finished. “Don’t worry. I’m trying really hard not to act like a jealous girlfriend.” She smiled. “You ready? The car is.” She turned around, and he grabbed her hand, and pulled her against him.

Kim’s back was now against Gerald. “You look absolutely y tonight.” He whispered.

His breath against her ear was warm and seducing. She shut her eyes, and opened them slowly. She giggled, and turned her around, bringing her lips close to his. “You have no idea.” She smiled, and pushed him away, her hips swaying from left to right as she walked.

Gerald laughed. He loved it how she knew exactly how to bring a smile on his lips. He had everything Emma told him playing in his mind as he followed her out. ‘And as much as you may not want to believe it, but she’s in love with you Ge…You two have something special that should go longer than a month, Gerald…she wasn’t ready to let you go’.

Kim opened the car door, and was about to slide in, but Gerald stopped her. “What are you doing?”

“Let’s walk tonight. It’s a winner’s night.” He shrugged.

Kim laughed, and shut the door, saying sorry to the driver. It was about 10:45 and the roads were still full of cars trying to get home to their families. Kim’s hand was still I Gerald’s as he pulled her forwards, and twirled her around. She laughed again. “Can this get anymore movie moment?” She .

“There’s nothing wrong with movie moments. Everything goes perfect, di ba?” Gerald retorted.

She nodded. “So what happens next, prince charming?”

He pulled her to a halt, and put his hands on her waist, pulling her body close to his. Kim was taken by surprise when he pressed his lips against hers. She cupped his face in her hands, then wrapping them around his neck, pulling him closer.

She was the one who pulled away first. “Whatever happened to no PDAs?” She asked, reminding him of what he said: ‘No PDA allowed in case someone catches us.’

He shook his head. “It doesn’t matter now. Everything’s changed.” He answered, pulling her back in, this time kissing her gently, feeling her soft lips move with his. Gerald pulled away this time, but kissed her neck, and then burying his face in her shoulder, changing the soft kiss into a hug. He needed this more than her kisses. He was so scared for what Emma told him. No matter how much he resented her for what she did to him, she was right. He was in love with Kim way more than he ever thought was possible.

Maybe they were together for a little over a week, but the fact remains that they’ve shared much more than what most people share in a couple of years. What they lacked in time, they made up with the physical and emotional connection they shared. They didn’t have to know each other for years just to know the bond that they possessed together. He kissed her cheek, and began walking again, intertwining their fingers. “You’re different,” he said.

She smiled, staring back at him. “Thanks, I think. I hope it’s a compliment.”

“Believe it is. You look much more happier.” He bent down, and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

She smiled wider. “Okay, what’s going on with you? Is this what winning does to you? Turn you into cornball?”

He laughed. “I am not a cornball!” He began to tickle her sides which he knew was her weakness.

Kim tried to get his hands off of her, beginning to run, but Gerald chased her. She couldn’t stop laughing. She was finally ahead of her, but not for long. Gerald caught up to her, and lifted her off her feet, swinging her around in a circle, laughing. She laughed and Gerald set her on her feet. “I guess you’re not afraid of getting caught.” She said, continuing a constant speed beside him.

“There’s no one around us that can scare me into anything. Come on, there’s a long way back.” He put his arm around her shoulders, and she held his hand that slung off one of them.

About half an hour later, they arrived back at the hotel, and got ready for bed. She was pulling the covers off the bed, and settled in, sitting upright. Gerald got out of the washroom and turned off the light, joining her in the bed and wrapped her tiny body into his arms. She exhaled, showing how exhausted she was. “You were amazing tonight,” she told him.

He laughed against her ear, “Nothing ever comes without its inspiration.” He whispered kissing the side of her face.

She giggled with the touch of his warm breath against the side her face. “So what was your conversation with Emma about?” She decided to bring it up when they were alone and after she softened him up with a compliment.

Gerald sighed. “I thought you weren’t going to act like a jealous girlfriend.”

She smiled. “I’m not. It’s an innocent question that fits someone like you.”

“She just told me things that I didn’t realize yet. I guess she sort of put away the feelings I felt towards her: hate, resentment; and gave me the closure I needed.” He said, shutting his eyes.

Kim took a deep breath, and exhaled slowly, “So there’s nothing going on between the two you?”

He squeezed her tightly against him. “I am positively sure that there is nothing going on between the two of us. Weren’t you the one who was telling me that she’s here to do me a favour, and I shouldn’t question her motives?”

She smiled. “You’re right. Are you going to stay here tomorrow? Maybe we could do something together.” She suggested.

Gerald gave her a light peck again. “Anything for you, babe.”

He called her babe, she smiled to herself. This was beginning to seem like a real relationship. And before today, she knew it was completely impossible, but she wasn’t sure that’s what she wanted. All she knew was that Kim wanted someone in her life; and that someone could be Gerald. Hell, she wanted it to be Gerald.

The next thing she knew Kim fell asleep with the slow rhythm of Gerald’s breath. But Gerald stayed awake. He had a lot to think about.

Gerald had Emma’s words in his head, replaying over and over. Despite his exhaustion due to the game, he knew he had to figure some things out before he could rest.

There was no doubt that he had feelings for her. He felt such a strong attraction to her the first time they met, which was what made him persistent in wanting her to notice him. And once they got close, he got in way over his head. His head was telling him to stop while he was ahead, but his heart telling him to continue this because he was never going to meet someone like Kim again. Having her in his arms just enhanced the impact she had on his heart. Emma was right, he never felt like this about another woman before. He loved Kim, even he didn’t want to admit it. And the truth was he didn’t want to let her go, just as much as she didn’t either. He could live like this everyday. Coming home to Kim would be his motivation. All the stress and all the problems basketball would give him would be forgotten by the time he arrived home, and held this amazing girl in his arms. Wasn’t that what love was? Nothing else mattered except being together.

Kim rolled over to her side, and faced Gerald. He swept the hair off her face, and smiled. She looked so beautiful asleep, so at ease, so peaceful. “Kim?” He whispered. But she didn’t respond, not one twitch, not one movement. “I love you.” He said softly. He finally said what he wanted to say to her for a while now. Maybe that’s what was torturing him: not being able to come to terms with his true feelings. Emma just confirmed this love for her. He took a deep breath, and closed his eyes. It wasn’t long before he fell asleep. And when he was asleep, he dreamed of being with Kim forever. Though he didn’t know how long that forever was going to be.

Kim woke up the next morning, and Gerald wasn’t beside her anymore, but saw paper on his pillow as he did everyday. “Went to get breakfast. I’ll see you soon. G.” She relaxed again in bed, but was distracted when her phone rang. It was Erich. “Hey.”

“Hey best friend. Guess what!” Erich spoke as the cars passing by overtook her voice.

Kim yawned. “What?”

“I’m in front of the Palace!”

She opened her eyes. “They built a palace back home?”

“No! I’m outside of the Palace in New York! What floor are you?! I’m coming in!”

Kim got up and had a head rush for moving too quickly. “What do you mean you’re right outside? What are you doing here.”

Erich’s voice seemed like it was in the distance. “She knows I’m coming up.” There was a pause, and Kim’s eyes bulged. “Top floor? You can call her if you’d like, I’m actually on the phone with her right now.” Erich said. Kim called her name, but there was no answer, only Erich’s conversation with the front desk could be heard. Finally, Erich answered. “Okay, so get decent, because I’m coming up. See you soon.” She blew a kiss on the phone and then it was disconnected.

Kim jumped out of bed, and didn’t know what to do first. Should she fix the covers? Should she go wash her face? It didn’t matter because she wouldn’t have any time to do anything. The next thing she knew there was a knock on the door. Her face turned towards the stairs. Kim ‘straightened’ her unwrinkled pyjama pants, and rubbed her face, knowing she probably looked like crap. She cleared , put her hair behind her ears, and began walking downstairs. “Kim, I know you’re there, we just got off the phone. Answer the door!”

She took her time down the stairs, trying to figure out what on earth she was going to do. She was in front of the door, and touched the cold knob. “Kim open this door, or you know I’ll break it down myself!” Kim turned the knob, and swung the door open. “Finally. What were you doing anyway? Oh, is he up there? Were you guys doing something?” Erich said, slapping her arm. “Ay naku, Kimmy.”

“No, he’s actually not here. I just woke up. What are you doing here?” Kim asked, still holding the door open.

“I expected much more enthusiasm than that. Give me a hug! It’s only been two weeks, but it seems like a lifetime without my best friend!” Erich squeezed Kim tight.

Kim laughed. “I know, but you didn’t answer my question.” Kim shut the door, and led her to the couch. “What are you doing here?”

Erich sighed. “I’m here for a vacation.” She smiled. “And I thought you could need a friend. I mean what’s going on between you and Gerald. I bet you’re gong crazy with all the . Maybe if I were here, it would help, you know.”

Kim smiled, and hugged Erich. “You are the best, you know! I mean, you’re right, I’m going absolutely crazy over here. I have no one to talk to. But I did meet is ex-girlfriend, and she seems nice. But I just can’t believe you’re here. I missed you so much!”

The door opened, and Gerald walked in without looking around first. “Okay, so I got absolutely everything: scrambled eggs, pancakes, crepes-” He saw a strange woman holding onto Kim’s hands. “I’m sorry; I didn’t realize you had company.”

Erich stood up, and was slightly opened. She didn’t realize how attractive he was in person. She saw him on magazines, on television; even the descriptions Kim gave to her didn’t do him justice. He was definitely more than good-looking, and she could definitely see why Kim was crazy for him in such a short time. “Hi, I’m Erich.” She held her hand.

He took it, and shook it. “Oh, you’re the best friend slash roommate.” He smiled. “I’m Gerald.”

Erich chuckled. “I can see that. I also see you have breakfast.”

Kim went in front of Erich. “Sorry, food’s her weakness.” She walked by Gerald, brushing her arm against him. That tiny touch caused electricity to seep through her veins. “I’m just going to freshen up, since you didn’t really give me anytime to.” She started walking up the stairs, and gave one last look over to Gerald. Seeing her watch her, and the intensity of desire in his eyes, she knew he wanted her. Her lips curved into a subtle smile, and continued up the stairs.

Erich stood in the background, and watched everything; seeing the way they were around each other. Gerald stared back at Erich with a wide grin on his face. Erich gave him a suspicious look. “So what is it exactly you have been doing to my best friend that made her act like a love-sick teenager?”

Gerald stared at the strange girl before him. He didn’t know her other than the things Kim told him about her. She was an enthusiast who like complex answers so she could investigate into them. She wasn’t going to be satisfied with a shrug, so Gerald returned the suspicious glance back her way. “What is it you think I’m doing?” He put the bags of food on the coffee table.

Kim was in the bathroom, quickly trying to change into her pair of shorts, and black t-shirt. She brushed her teeth, and ran back downstairs. She saw Gerald and Erich sitting opposite each other on the couch, laughing at some joke she obviously missed. She saw food scattered all around the table, and all the bacon was gone, except for little crumbs. She wondered how long she was up there, but knowing Erich, it wouldn’t take lone to finish anything. “What are you guys talking about?” She said.

“Gerald, here, was telling me the last seconds of the game and how happy it made him to win. Though, I watched it on the plane on the way here.” She watched Kim sit on the arm of the sofa behind Gerald. “And he was neglecting to answer my question: what he was doing to you.”

Kim shook her head, not believing what her friend was doing. “Gerald hasn’t been doing anything to me. And she knows.” She told the last part to Gerald, clarifying what he probably already knew.

Gerald nodded. “Let me ask you something, Erich. What have you been doing to her that made her single all these years?” He turned the table back on her.

Erich laughed, “Wow, are you always this forward.” Kim turned her head embarrassed of where the conversation went. “And what, you think you’re gonna be able to change the way she’s been living?”

Kim stood up, and held her hands in the air. “Okay, I’m just going step out while you,” she looked at Erich, “mention my lack of a love life. And you,” she stared at Gerald, “take in what my best friend has to say about me. After today, I may have to question it.” She laughed, and walked outside to the balcony, taking a seat and relaxing; glad to have her best friend back.

Gerald sighed and got up to follow her, but Erich stopped him. “Okay, all jokes aside. As a best friend, I have a duty to grill you once you become someone in Kim’s life, so take a seat. I’m sure she’s alright.” Gerald obeyed the best friend.

He’s gone through this a couple times before, and he loved the feeling he got when he proved the best friends wrong, and they fell in love with him. But his time he was actually nervous. He was afraid of answering her questions wrong, or making a complete idiot of himself. He took a deep breath and tried to come across as confident, but not too cocky. “Okay, so what do you want to know?”

“Where are you from?” She began easy, trying to lead up to the hard ones without scaring him off. She hadn’t seen Kim this happy in a very long time, and the last thing she wanted was to push this new guy out of her best friend’s life because she scared him with questions.

“I was born in the Philippines, but I moved to America when I was three years old, and grew up in Missouri. When I was 14, I moved back to the Philippines, and lived there ever since.” He watched her study him, and he didn’t want her to figure out that this isn’t what he wanted, so he thought he might as well say something, than risk her figuring out he had problems of his own. “Look, I know this is what you’re supposed to do: talk to the boyfriend and make sure he isn’t going to hurt her, but I promise you, that’s not what I want to do. I would never want to hurt her, because even though I knew her for such little time, I know she deserves much more than getting hurt.” He hoped his tiny speech would be enough.

Erich looked at her best friend behind her, and then looked back at Gerald. “You just said boyfriend.”

“What?”

“You said ‘talk to the BOYFRIEND and make sure he isn’t going to hurt her’. Is that what you think of yourself? Her boyfriend?” He didn’t answer her. “Look, Gerald. I’ve been talking to Kim almost every night, and you have absolutely no idea the things she’s been saying about you. So until you answer that question, I don’t trust you; because that’s actually the only question I need answered.”

Gerald looked at Kim sitting with her legs resting on the round table in front of her. That’s exactly what he wanted to be: her boyfriend, but for how long? It wasn’t long before they needed to go back home; go back home to reality. And where would they be then? He looked at Erich and took a deep breath. “I hope so. Erich, I feel deeply for Kim, but I’m not just going to force her into anything. I want to enjoy our time together here while it lasts, and worry about the rest later. I like Kim…a lot. So believe me when I tell you that I don’t want to hurt her.”

Erich stood up and went behind Gerald. She wrapped her arms around him, and squealed. “Perfect answer!” She let go of him, and smiled. “Gerald, I like you because Kim likes you. But if you hurt her, that like will turn into hate. Do you hear me? Kim has gone through a lot of crap in her life: her mom, her ex-boyfriend, school. I’ve seen her in the most darkest place in her life, and as her best friend, I’ve been trying to keep her from falling into that again. So if you hurt her, and she falls back into that state, I swear, Gerald. You will wish you never met her, because you will have to go through me.” Her face turned serious, and then changed into a smile. “Do you mind if I steal Kim for the day? I really want to spend some time together.”

Gerald nodded, not knowing what else he should do. “Just bring her back in one piece.” He said teasing her.
Erich laughed, but then looked at Gerald intently. “Don’t worry. I’ll take care of her.” Obviously implying something much more.