2

The Curse's Gift

 

Chapter Two: A New Guest - or Intruder

 

Yifan woke up and he was still in the position he was last night. What happened last night? Oh right, there was a heavy rain, and - there was a knock on the door. Right.

He stood up and made his way towards the door. Once he was just an inch in front of it he stopped and sighed. Should he open it to see if the man really left? He slowly brought up a hand to touch the cold door knob and slowly twisted it to open the door slightly. He peered around. In his balcony, no one. He let out a sigh again as he closed the door, letting it make a click sound. He turned around and thank goodness I didn't get to shout in an unmanly way. Well, as if he could shout in an unmanly way. Yifan had a very manly voice. Yes that's it.

"I'm sorry! Did I scare you?" It took a second for Yifan to realize that an intruder was inside his mansion. His mansion.

How dare he.

He furrowed his brows at the man in front of him. He was centimeters shorter than him, with prominent jawline and high cheekbones and lips just like of a cheshire cat. Deep brown orbs were staring at him intently, as if waiting for an answer.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" Yifan tried his best to calm down but heck. How could he if there was an intruder in the house?

The man looked at him for a second and bowed deeply. "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to disturb you here! But I just couldn't take the coldness of the night last night and so I kept on knocking at your door. I could only see your house during the heavy rain. But then after how many times I tried no one was opening it, and so I tried, uh..." He scratched the back of his head nervously whilst looking down. Realization dawned upon Yifan and it made him furrow his brows even more.

"You twisted the door knob open, didn't you?"

"..."

"Am I right?" he growled and the man looked at him with a scared look and he backed away from him.

"I didn't know it was open. Please, I'm sorry. I'm going to go now if that's what you want. I just needed shelter last night."

"And you think sorry's going to make it all better?" Yifan walked towards the unknown man, who was backing away every step Yifan took. The man's eyes were showing that he was scared.

"I - I just needed one because I didn't know where else to go! I - I ran away from home!"

Yifan stopped and stared at him. "What did you say?"

"He ran away from home, Master Yifan." Junmyeon came into view and the man heaved a sigh of relief and he immediately ran towards Junmyeon's back, hiding from Yifan's scary glare.

"Oh, great Junmyeon. He's an intruder." Yifan pointed out, folding his arms irritatingly. Junmyeon just nodded.

"But we couldn't help it, Master. He needed shelter." Yifan inwardly rolled his eyes.

"Did he do anything while I was asleep?"

"I didn't, sir! I just..." The man started explaining but upon seeing Yifan's glare again, he shut up and hid behind Junmyeon's back again.

"He just slept here, Master Yifan. He didn't rob anything. There's nothing to worry about." Junmyeon assured him and Yifan just stared at him before he looked away.

"You said you're going to go now, right?" he looked angrily at the unknown man and the man surely shuddered just by Yifan's stare. He nodded slowly while still looking at Yifan.

"Well? Get out of my house and don't ever come back." He growled. The man nodded immediately and pried himself away from Junmyeon and he walked towards the door. But before he left, he turned towards Junmyeon and the angry Yifan and he gave them a 90 degree bow.

"Thank you for letting me stay the night. I appreciate it. Thank you once again and goodbye." He stood straight and went out of the door, letting it click, leaving Yifan slightly shocked of what happened.

"The kid's still grateful huh?" he heard Junmyeon say as the butler snickered. Yifan just glared at him and he stopped immediately. He briskly walked towards the door to open it and slam it shut again. He was about to lock the door, but his hand stopped midway near the door knob.

He didn't know why he wanted not to lock the door.

That man wouldn't come back anymore, would he? Nah, by his looks, he was obedient. He sighed and ruffled his hair and stepped back. He walked past Junmyeon as he went straight to the bathroom.

"I'll be taking a bath, will you prepare my clothes for me?"

Junmyeon bowed. "Of course, Master Yifan."

 

 


 

The mansion was eerily quiet (it was always quiet anyway). And Yifan was once again seated in the velvet chair beside the window, one of his arms propped into the windowsill and he was staring outside again.

His thoughts were somewhere when he just suddenly thought of the man again.

I didn't get his name.

He blinked.

Again.

He immediately sat up straight and ruffled his hair in annoyance, because why the hell did he just think that he didn't get to get the man's name? It wasn't as if he was an important person, right?

Right?

The trees swayed in his backyard and the leaves slowly fell from the twigs. He was disgusted by that so he looked away. Why do trees get to die and he couldn't?

He heard hurried footsteps. He looked around the empty living room, which was about to go dark because the day was slowly turning into night.

It was from the balcony.

"Junmyeon?" He called out. No one answered. He furrowed his brows. Just then he heard the door creak open and it was slammed shut. He stood up and walked towards his door and - oh.

It was that man again.

The man had his back glued to the door and he slid down as his eyes were trailed on the floor. He could tell that the man ran because of the sweat on his neck that was dripping down.

"You again?!" Yifan said out loud and the man gasped as he looked up at him. He was still glued to the door.

"Please, let me stay for a while." The man pleaded, clasping his hands together, staring at Yifan with pleading eyes.

"And why would I?" He folded his arms as he looked at the sweating man in front of him.

"I - Someone's after me." The man said softly.

Just then Yifan heard footsteps on his balcony. He looked at the man agian and he was trembling with fear. He looked at Yifan with those teary pleading eyes again.

"Please. I don't wanna go with them. Please." He said softly. There was something familiar with the man. He didn't know why he wanted to obey. Yifan sighed and walked towards the door, he softly ushered the man away from the door with his feet, and the man complied.

Ugh. What am I doing? "Just stay hidden." The man nodded immediately and just stayed in the wall between the window and the door, the part of the door where there were hinges. Yifan heard the men talk.

"Where the heck is that kid?!" One said.

"I already told you, I saw him run towards this house." Another said.

Just then a knock on the door was heard.

"Open this door! We're looking for someone! Hurry up!"

Oh, the hell. The man had the guts.

"Hurry up or I'll ---"

"Or you'll what?" They heard and the door was wide open, revealing a dark room with an intimidating tall man with dark brown hair and scary eyes. They all backed away.

Yifan scoffed. "You sure have the guts, Mister." He glared at the wrinkled men with cheap looking black suits. The men shuddered as they backed away again.

"Now, who is it that you're looking for?" He asked menacingly while staring down at the men in front of him.

"No, uh, no one. I guess we went to the wrong house. I'm sorry for disturbing." One of them stuttered. Then they bowed and ran immediately away from him. Away from the house. But not before he heard one of them whisper to the other about something.

He slammed the door shut, causing the man beside him to wince at the sound. Yifan glared at him.

"There. I've saved your sorry ."

The man bowed at him again. When he stood straight he looked at Yifan with grateful eyes. "Thank you very much for saving me! I'm very grateful for it. Thank you!" He bowed again.

Yifan just stared at him. And the man scratched the back of his head nervously. He looked outside the window and noticed that the men were already gone.

"Thank you once again. I'm going to go now. I'm sorry for disturbing you by the way." He bowed one last time before walking past Yifan. But just before he could touch the door knob, Yifan grabbed him by the arm, which made him stop to look back at the back of Yifan's head.

"You - you said you ran away from home." The man tilted his head to the side because where was this going?

"Yes?"

"Do you have any other place to stay?"

The man rubbed the back of his neck again. "Oh, no. But it's okay. I could look for other houses in another place. Then I guess I'm going to work to pay for it."

Yifan turned around to look at him. "Just stay here. I won't mind." The man's eyes went wide.

"Oh no, sir! I've already caused you too much trouble. And I don't want to add your burden. But thank you for the offer, anyway. I'm going now. Thank you for ---"

"They're still outside. In the woods."

"Huh?"

"I heard them whispering something about waiting for you there."

"They're, waiting there?" And now the man was scared.

"So I'm telling you. Just stay here. I won't mind."

The man looked at him before looking down to the floor and he nodded slowly. "Thank you. I promise I wouldn't be a burden."

"Master Yifan, I'm sorry I didn't get to tell you I went outside to buy us food --- Oh! It's you! You're here again!" Junmyeon came from the back door in the kitchen with a bag food and as he placed it in the table, he saw Yifan and the man.

The man bowed and smiled at him.

"Junmyeon, he's staying." Yifan said, causing Junmyeon to look at him with wide eyes. "And don't give me that look. There are men after him." Junmyeon just nodded slowly.

"Okay, Master Yifan."

"Now follow him. He's going to show you where your room is." He softly pushed the man aside so that he could go back to the living room and to his favorite velvet chair. The man nodded and went with Junmyeon.

"Oh, wait." The man stopped to look at him. Yifan turned around and walked towards the man. "I forgot to ask you. What's your name?"

The man looked at him and smiled brightly, the first time he ever did. He stuck out his hand, expecting Yifan to shake it.

"Oh yes. I forgot, my name is Kim Jongdae. It's nice to meet you, sir."

Yifan stared at the extended hand in front of him and he hesitated, before he shook that hand. Jongdae's hands were comfortingly warm and it was there that he realized he hasn't touched anyone anymore before. Not even Junmyeon.

"Yifan. Wu Yifan."