1

The Curse's Gift

Chapter One: Thunder Rumbling

 

Darkness and silence filled the mansion. At first glance you would think that no one is living, but if you look deeper into the mansion glistening wet into the heavy rain...

Yifan sighed as he propped his one elbow into the windowsill, his hand on his chin as he watched the drops of rain fall to the ground, making pitter patters in the ground as it did. The window wasn't doing any good in showing the clear view outside his mansion, but he didn't mind.

He sighed again. Three hundred years.

It had been three hundred years since he gave up hope. Three hundred years since he really wanted to die but couldn't. And now he was stuck in this mansion (more like he didn't want to go out anymore) because he was scared. He shut out everybody, including his servants, and now he was alone. All alone, in this beautiful empty mansion.

"Master Yifan." Oh, there was one who still stayed behind even though Yifan ordered them all to go back home, with a tantrum of course. But this man still stayed loyal and he didn't go away.

Yifan turned his head to look at the direction of the voice and he gave a huff. "What is it, Junmyeon?"

The said man, Junmyeon, bowed even though he could not be seen, and stood straight again. "There's a man outside running towards this mansion." he said, voice soft as the pitter patter of rain outside.

Yifan raised his eyebrows at him and looked back outside the window. Yes. Junmyeon was right. A man was running towards his dark, empty mansion. He saw the man disappear from his sight and he sighed and counted to five.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five.

A knock on the door was heard and Yifan sighed again. He always expected people to run away from places and go knock on his door because they thought it was such a beauty. But once the door was opened they would see the darkness, and they would get frightened and run away, without ever looking back.

Maybe this was going to happen again.

"Shall I open the door and let him in, Master Yifan?" Junmyeon asked as he prepared his way to go to the door.

Yifan let out a huff again as he folded his arms and sat straight in his chair, legs crossed.

Knock, knock, knock. It became louder this time and Yifan was starting to get annoyed. He could hear the man's muffled voice, soft, but still it could be heard.

"Master Yifan?"

"Leave it be. I wouldn't want you to open a door and just watch them run away again. Leave that man outside. He's going to leave anyway." Then he closed his eyes with his brows furrowed.

"But master -"

"Are you going to disobey me, Kim Junmyeon?" The way he said the man's full name was a sign that he was already annoyed, and about to sleep. So Junmyeon just bowed his head and went away from the dark living room, sparing a glance at the door which was still being knocked. He sighed and shook his head slowly and went upstairs into his room.

The knock on the door was still not stopping and just five more knocks, Yifan thought, just five more knocks and I'm going to bury you in the ground forever.

Knock, knock, knock. But it was now getting softer, and at last, the knocking stopped and Yifan sighed in contentment. Maybe the man already gave up and left. He closed his eyes again, his head leaning onto the cold window pane, and he slept. He didn't mind any noise after that anymore.

Not even the thunder rumbling and the lightning that followed.

 

Not even the twisting of the door knob and the creak of the door as if it was being opened.