6

The Curse's Gift

Chapter 6 - Melodious

Days passed by normally. Yifan was still wearing his famous face, Junmyeon was still wherever-the-heck when you needed him, and Jongdae was just being Jongdae.

He seemed to be more comfortable in the house, cleaning, arranging messy things, and cooking, and many more. Yifan soon realized that the one who was actually making food delicious was Jongdae. Yep. One shouldn't believe Junmyeon when he said he was the one who cooked it.

The only difference now was that Yifan was now wearing the necklace Yixing gave him, and he seemed to be uncomfortable with it. But one time when he tried to remove it, muttering about how uncomfortable it was in the neck, Jongdae made a 'failed' glare at him and Yifan found it quite adorable annoying, yet he still wore it.

Now he was quite remembering Jongdae and Yixing were quite the same.

"Master Yifan!" Junmyeon said as he opened the room's door widely, causing Yifan to spit on his water because of surprise because -

"Why the heck are you barging in without any permission?!" Yifan hissed and Junmyeon winced.

"Uh, sorry Master. I just wanted to ask if you still had the spare key to that locked room downstairs?"

"Locked room?"

"Yes. You see - Jongdae is kind of curious and he wanted to know what was inside."

Yifan inwardly rolled his eyes. Using others as an excuse huh. "If I know, you're the one who wants to know what's inside." Junmyeon nervously chuckled.

"You saw through my lies easily, master."

"I've got no spare key to that. I think I threw it away, I don't remember anymore."

"You may not be physically old, but you're old mentally, Master." Junmyeon muttered in a low voice, but Yifan heard him anyway.

"What did you say?" He growled and Junmyeon looked at him with nervous eyes.

"Nothing, Master! So, uh, I guess I'm going to tell Jongdae -"

"Going to tell yourself."

"- Yes, myself, that the room has no spare key. Okay, got it master. Thank you." He bowed and walked out the door as he closed it. Yifan lied on his bed as he stared at the ceiling.

He didn't even know he dozed off right away after that. And considering it was afternoon.

 

 


 

 

Yifan woke up at the sound of a piano being played. He sat up and rubbed his eyes sleepily and he realized the door was slightly ajar, the reason why he could hear the beautiful melody.

He got mesmerized by it, but wondered who it was -

Oh no. What if another intruder barged into his house and messed with the piano? Wait, did he even have a piano?! He didn't even know how to use it! Maybe...

The melody was soft and mellow and never stopping, and it was so beautiful Yifan couldn't help but close his eyes and imagine playing it, with Yixing.

He couldn't care less about the one who played it. But then curiosity got the better of him so he decided to stand up, walked out the door, and followed the sound, which seemed to be downstairs.

He slowly tiptoed downstairs until he reached the bottom and he noticed a bright light coming from a room, with its door wide open. The melody was now becoming louder and stronger as the sound went from soft and mellow to a stronger one. That seemed to remind him of Yixing again because Yixing loved playing the piano that way.

It was there that he realized that it was the locked room.

Now, who the hell barged inside?!

He was about to stomp his way towards the place when he suddenly stopped because he heard a voice.

A beautiful voice singing and it really just made Yifan stop and be surprised about it.

It started off soft as first, voice as smooth as the running water and then it became stronger as the voice slowly became higher and stronger, following the keys being pressed.

Yes, he heard Junmyeon sing, it was angelic in fact. But, this voice was just far more beautiful than any other voice he head heard from the past years.

The voice was even better than Yixing's. Sorry Yixing, couldn't help it. Yifan apologized in his mind.

He slowly tiptoed towards the door and his just beside the door frame. He peeped and oh my god I can't believe it.

The one singing and playing the piano was Jongdae.

Yifan could only stare in his place, he couldn't even move because of what he was seeing right now.

Who knew Jongdae could sing and play the piano, besides being such a stubborn man in the house?

Anyway, Jongdae's hands were softly pressing the keys of the old-looking and dusty grand piano in the middle of the bright-lit room, his eyes closed as he sang the song softer and higher and suddenly he just belted out high notes from a song Yifan didn't even know but found beautiful because come on, the singer was too beautiful singing it so perfectly he just wanted to melt right then and there.

Jongdae's face was in full concentration as he sang high notes with his strong voice, yet his fingers were softly pressing the keys as he played.

I lost my mind, baby when I saw you smile.
Oh, let me tell you, everything but you gets in slow motion.
Baby can you tell, can you tell me'f this is love?

And baby I won't mind letting you show me your real side
I will still fight for you.
And I'll hug you tight when you cry.
So baby can you tell, can you tell me'f this is love?


Yifan didn't know the song, but he thought he was falling for it, just as he was fall - and stop right there. What the hell am I thinking?!

If only wishes were made to be real,
I'll wish it's true, just like those fairytales.
I want us to have a happy ending, happily ever after.
I won't be scared, 'coz I trust and care for you so much
I would kiss away all of those pains.
Babe, I'll hold you close, I'll never leave.


Darn it. Why did it have to come out so nicely?! Yifan almost tripped on his own feet, and he would be discovered, and Jongdae would get shocked and he would stop and that was the last thing Yifan had on is mind. So he glared at his feet (yep, feet), and he continued listening.

My babe, baby babe, baby baby
I want you to tell me, what is love?


Yep, he hit the high notes so right. Yifan's feet felt like they couldn't hold on any longer because of the beautiful voice.

Jongdae made a last melodious press on the piano keys and he stopped, sighing as he did so. Yifan slowly showed up and leaned his arms on the doorframe.

Jongdae noticed a movement so he turned his head and he saw Yifan, the very last person he wanted to hear him sing, because, you know, he barged in a locked room which wasn't really locked at all okay maybe he found the spare key hidden at one of the unused cupboards in the kitchen and he opened the door late at night without any permission!

So, yeah, Jongdae was scared to death right now, what with Yifan just staring at him that made him shudder.

"Yifan!" Jongdae stood up immediately from the piano chair and stood straight, looking scared in front of Yifan. "I - I'm so sorry! I know you Junmyeon told me it's locked and there's no spare key, but i just found one at an unsed cupboard and so I got curious and I decided I just wanted to see what was inside of this room and I saw the piano and I ---"

"You have a nice voice."

"-I'm so sorry, wait what?" Jongdae stopped and looked at Yifan, confused.

"No wait, scratch that, you have a beautiful voice." Yifan said as he walked closer to Jongdae, who was slowly backing away but he was stopped by the grand piano like what the heck.

"You, you aren't angry at me?" Jongdae asked cluelessly, pointing to himself. Yifan shook his head slowly.

"Nope."

"Oh, okay."

"I didn't know you could sing." Yifan said, pointing to the piano chair, telling Jongdae to sit and Jongdae obeyed, and Yifan sat too, so now they were seated side by side. "You don't sing here, why is that?"

"Well," Jongdae said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck as he stared down the floor. "I think I got this from my mother. And I'm scared that maybe you would get angry so I decided not to sing in this mansion, but then, I saw this piano and then I had a thing for pianos and so I tried playing it and, yeah. That's it."

"The song was nice too."

Jongdae looked at him, smiling. "Really? My mother and I wrote it, though most parts were done by her. I was the one who wrote the lines in which high notes were done."

"Really?" Yifan said as he looked down at Jongdae and oh he shouldn't have done that scratch that what was he thinking?!

Okay, Jongdae was just smiling, alright?! Just smiling at him and heck he didn't know why suddenly a slow motion was happening.

Shake it all away Yifan. He was being influenced by the song, heck.

They stayed silent for a long while after that. You could tell it was a kind of, awkward silence? Dah, whatever.

Jongdae stared down at his watch and his eyes widened because - "Holy, it's already Three in the morning?!" He nervously looked at Yifan. "I'm so sorry if I disturbed your sleep. I guess we have to go now."

Both of them stood up. Jongdae bowed awkwardly and was already walking past Yifan when Yifan called.

"Wait, Jongdae."

Jongdae stopped walking and turned back to look at Yifan. "Yes?" He asked quietly.

Yifan slowly walked towards him. "Thanks."

"Thanks? What for?"

"For what you told me these past few days."

"Oh." He rubbed the back of his neck again. A habit, Yifan thought after all those days, darn it. "Uh, no problem? Haha."

"I know thanks is not enough."

"Oh no, it's enough already, though you didn't have to say thanks, it was okay."

"I hope this would be."

"No really-"

Jongdae was cut off because Yifan's big frame just engulfed him in a warm embrace, which left Jongdae wide-eyed and shocked. Yifan's chin was resting above Jongdae's head, caging him so he couldn't move.

Yifan didn't even know why he did that.

"Thanks."

"Uh, n-no problem." Jongdae felt his face heating up.

They stayed like that for a good minute.

"Just make sure to close this again so Junmyeon wouldn't notice." Yifan said and Jongdae chuckled, he just hoped it wasn't noticed as awkward.

"Y-yeah, sure. S-so, uh, thi-this is g-goodnight then?"

Yifan gave a low chuckle as he pulled himself away from Jongdae. "Good Morning." Just then Yifan leaned down and what the hell please don't, please stop! Yifan stop yourself before...

A soft chaste kiss on the forehead by Yifan nearly made Jongdae's knees give out.

Great, Yifan. What the hell have you done. Yifan scolded himself mentally as he pulled away and just looked at anywhere but Jongdae.

He didn't notice Jongdae's face turn beet red.

"So, yeah, Good Night - uh, Good Morning, -Good... Sleep tight." Was the last thing Yifan said before he immediately turned around and walked fast, away from the room, away from the blushing Jongdae who he didn't even know was blushing.

Heck, he was so sure he also felt his cheeks heat up after that. GREAT. But he had to admit, after he did that, he was happy.