Chapter 21

The Sun and The Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Just come and see the building, Luna. You've been dodging me all week.” YoungBae complained. During her week off, they bounced back and forth between their houses depending on how much noise was being at the time. She and Stacy spent some quality time together, as long as SeungRi wasn't there to distract her. Luna hated to admit it, but, for once, she was actually happy to have Stacy go back to Tokyo on Wednesday. At least then, she could sleep in her bed uninterrupted. YoungBae invited Luna on more than one occasion to come and visit where he worked. It was Friday morning and she was still refusing.

“I don't want to go to the YG building. TaeYang works there.”

“What? Are you a TaeYang anti-fan?” Luna raised her head from the pillow to give him a disbelieving look. “Well, you act like TaeYang is a bad guy when actually, he's seems to be the side of me you like best.”

“What do you mean?” Luna asked as she sat up while YoungBae sat on the other side of the bed.

“It's hard to explain. Think Superman and Clark Kent. One is painfully shy, the other is confident. Same person, just variations of each other.”

“Does TaeYang talk to you? Are there any other voices I should know about?” She joked.

“Not like that, silly.” he said as he reached over to tweak her nose. “That last night in Jeju? I was there, but I let TaeYang take over. Dong YoungBae never would have had the courage to wine and dine you and kiss you at the door. TaeYang did.”

“I can get what you're getting at. The private you vs. the projected you. The side you show and the side you conceal. You just have a name for the bolder side of yourself. Strange, but I get it.”

 

*****

“So, do you want to come to the office with me or meet me later.” YoungBae asked over breakfast. Luna rolled her eyes heavenward.

“Why, Bae? Why do you want me to go? Won't it be uncomfortable?”

“Why would it be uncomfortable?”

“If I show up there with you, people are going to want to know who I am. How are you going to introduce me?”

“As Luna Rae Kirk.”

“Ha ha, Bae. You know what I mean. We're in a strange situation as it is. I just met your friends last weekend. Showing me off to your co-workers is a bad idea. It just further complicates matters. Besides, the more people we meet, the higher the possibility that people find us out.”

“Oh, come on. The shroud of secrecy over YG is legend in this industry. We have the most loyal staff ever. What information has ever been put out about YG Entertainment that we don't put out?”

“You have a point there. You guys are very protective of your privacy.”

“So will you come?”

“I don't know, Bae...” he could hear her softening as he shot her objections down one by one.

“But are you coming?”

Luna rolled her eyes and said, “Fine. I'll meet you there after I get dressed.” YoungBae got up and did a victory dance. He so seldom won with her as she always seemed to get the last word. He promised her dinner afterwards, kissed her on the hair and left for work.

 

*****

 

Luna took extra time preparing for the visit. She had been hanging out with Stacy most of the week and barely touched her makeup drawer or took her hair out of a ponytail. Thinking about it, she barely dressed up around YoungBae. By the time he got to her apartment at night, she most likely had already taken her makeup and work clothes off. She often greeted him in sweats and a t-shirt. Not that he ever complained, Luna knew she was a pretty enough girl with out makeup, but she wanted to look good for him. She wanted no one to look at her and find her lacking. She wanted no one to look at her and ask 'why her?'.

So she styled her hair in a faux hawk similar to his, wore day appropriate yet noticeable makeup, an orange, bell sleeved sweater dress, brown leggings and knee-high brown, leather riding boots. Paired with a wide gold belt, brown Louis Vuitton purse and gold hoop earrings, Luna looked like an autumn colored goddess. With another critical look at herself in the mirror, she sent him a text to let him know she was on the way.

 

*****

 

YoungBae was waiting for Luna in the lobby when she walked in. The comical look of appreciation on his face let her know that her efforts did not go unnoticed. She could feel the curious eyes of the other people, but chose to look only at him lest she lose her nerve. The stares that she garnered in South Korea never failed to make her uncomfortable. The level of scrutiny made her very glad she dressed with extra care.

She knew everyone was watching, and wondering who she was and why she was there. If he greeted her with a handshake, people would assume she was there for business. With a hug, everyone would know it was personal. Thinking it the lesser of two evils, Luna stuck her hand out for a handshake and her professional smile. YoungBae would have none of that. He took a step closer and hugged her tightly to his chest. Luna stiffened at first, but then wrapped her arms around him as well. If her being there caused a stir, the hug caused a tornado. Over his shoulder, she could see people leaning towards each other in silent conversations. Oh well, she thought to herself.

“I love the hair. Come on, let me show you around.” he placed his hand on the small of her back as he walked her around the building, introducing her to people as they went. The offices, the dance studios, the cafeteria, the class rooms, the gym, the black painted lounge and finally, the recording studios. YoungBae led her into one of the studios that had a poster of Janet Jackson in it and started pointing out the various pieces of equipment. She wandered in to the booth while he kept explaining the creative process. “Do you want to try it?”

“Try what?”

“Singing in the booth.”

“Uh, no. You sing. I don't.”

“I've heard you singing while you cook. You're pretty good. You have a nice voice. Just sing for me.” Luna shook her head, so he walked up and started tickling her until she gave in.

“Okay. Okay. One song. What do you want to hear?,” Luna said between gasps for breath. She really didn't want to do it, but she was making an effort to be more conciliatory where he was concerned. After their conversation the weekend before, she realized how often she told him 'no' and wanted to change that.

“How about the song from the last night on Jeju-do? 'Dream A Little Dream'. Do you know all of the words?” Luna nodded as she put the headphones on and tested the sound. He pressed a few buttons and come in to sit at the piano. “I'll play for you. Does this key sound okay?”

YoungBae's fingers moved across the keyboard with practiced grace as he played the intro. Luna had forgotten that he played the piano. She was so wrapped up in listening to him that she missed her cue to start. Laughing gently at her, he started again. This time, she was ready.

 

'Stars shining bright above you

Night breezes seem to whisper 'I love you'

Birds singing in the sycamore trees

Dream a little dream of me...'

 

YoungBae smiled as he played. Luna really did have a nice voice. A little low, but still feminine and y. He watched as she closed her eyes and sang the words with feeling. She would mess up at times and look at him with a grin. He would nod in encouragement for her to continue. When she was finished, he jumped up and ran out of the booth. Luna put the headphones back on the stand and joined him outside. He had headphones on and was messing around on the computer. Not sure what to do with herself, she sat at the desk and spun around in slow circles while he bobbed his head to whatever he was listening to.

“Okay. It's ready.” YoungBae took off his headphones and Luna stopped spinning. Over the system, the sounds of piano started and then a voice. Luna sat up straight in the chair as she listened to herself.

“Oh my God. Is that me?” Luna asked in surprise.

“I told you that you have a nice voice.”

“I didn't realize you were recording that. I thought we were just messing around.” Luna had never listened to herself sing before and did

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter