Chapter 2

The Sun and The Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What the hell?, YoungBae asked himself. She seemed so nice and so normal, but she was just like the rest. He was disappointed because she looked, and acted, like someone he would like to know.

JiYong stood in the elevator beside him, seething. “That ! Who does she think she is? I bet she's one of those undercover reporters, hoping to catch us doing bad behavior and put our names all over the tabloids.”

“Ya, don't be disrespectful, JiYong. Maybe she really doesn't know who we are.” He tried to rationalize, but didn't really believe it himself.

“Bull, Bae. You heard her phone ring. It was 'Tonight' as her ringtone. Our song! And it was part of the song that you were singing. '너를 찾아서 오에오 날 비춰주는 저 달빛아래로' There's no way she doesn't know who we are!” JiYong stopped the choreographed dance he was doing to look his friend in the eye. “She must think we're stupid!”

“I don't know, Ji. She didn't seem malicious. She didn't approach us. I hit her with a ball, remember?” He tried to reason with his hot headed friend, but he knew how it would go.

“Yeah, right. That was just the perfect opportunity, but she would have found some way to put herself in front of us. You're just too trusting, Bae. Well, Luna, if that is her real name, can forget dinner! I'm not giving her anymore ammunition for when she writes an article or blogs about us. If it wasn't today, I bet she would have faked drowning when she saw us walking by. Or she could have 'tripped' and fell into one of us. Or 'bumped' into us in the hotel lobby. Or . . .” His voice trailed off as he made his way to their suite, still theorizing her bad intentions.

YoungBae took a deep breath before he followed. He tuned his best friend out and rubbed his forehead. He tried to replay the whole conversation in his mind. Tried to see where somewhere in her face she was dishonest. She made eye contact almost consistently, she didn't stutter, she didn't have any long pauses before answering questions about herself. The only time she didn't keep eye contact was when she first walked into the bar. She had blushed a little and looked at the ground. Hell, she didn't even really ask them anything about themselves. Ah, because she already knew. Damn.

He laid down on the bed, turning his ring around on his finger and kept trying to figure her out. He still heard JiYong banging around and talking to himself about 'lying es' and 'more bad press' from the other room. Heaving a deep sigh, YoungBae rolled to his side and tried not to think about her pretty, hazel eyes. How they sparkled when she laughed or squinted at him when he made a lame joke. He always made lame jokes, though. Only JiYong seemed to really find him funny. Luna—if that was her real name—pretended to, at least.


 

Damn.


 

*****


 

Luna was still pondering their strange behavior when she got back to her room. I wonder what got into them, she asked herself for the fifteenth time. Oh, well. She figured she'd ask them when she saw them later. Up until that point, they were so cool. They seemed like normal guys in their early twenties. They obviously had a close friendship and it made her miss her best friend, Stacy, all the more. Stacy was supposed to be on this vacation with her, but canceled last minute to go home to Texas to see her family. That month of vacation they get from the Foreign Service was always a highly anticipated time for them.

They had met in college at Columbia University and studied Asian Languages. Since Luna was already fluent in Korean from her upbringing, she studied Japanese. Stacy was from Houston and sounded like it. Her twang was thick when she spoke English and didn't really diminish when she switched to Japanese. Her accent was always a source of amusement for the rest of the class. Stacy had the big personality one would expect from someone from Texas, also. She laughed loud and very often. She was a good compliment to Luna's more quiet and reserved personality. Many people in New York didn't look beyond Stacy's accent to notice how very smart and clever she was. “Their loss,” she would proclaim and change the subject when someone snubbed her.

Luna pulled out her phone and checked the time. Damn that fourteen hour time difference. She would have loved to run this afternoon's strange events by her friend, but didn't want to wake her up. She decided to rest before dinner.


 

*****


 

Luna went down to the resort restaurant at little after seven. 'A lady is always supposed to make an entrance,' her mother would say. But when she got down there. . . JiYong and YoungBae were no where to be seen. She still requested a table for three and ordered a glass

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter