Welcome to the Motherland

Love Has Other Plans

Chapter Nine: Welcome to the Motherland


“So tell me again, why are we at the airport? Or rather, why am I at the airport with you?” asked Ilhoon, looking dazed and confused.

The twins were hurrying inside Incheon airport, with Ilsoon looking at arrival times and Ilhoon looking bored as hell. She was hurrying here and there, looking across the huge place, while Ilhoon was trying to keep up with her. Ilsoon rolled her eyes at her twin.

“Let me explain it again: we’re here because we’re picking up my best friend from France. I’ve told you about her, I do hope you remember that bit.”

“Ah, yeah,” said Ilhoon absent-mindedly. “Madeleine; is that right? Madeleine Beau… Beu…”

“Madeleine Beauregard, yes. Don’t force yourself,” said Ilsoon with a superior look on her face. “And you’re here because no one else could come with me. Both mom and dad have work.”

You’re a big girl already, goodness gracious. Surely you can take a cab by yourself, thought Ilhoon with a mental face-palm. Out loud, he said: “But why is your friend coming here?”

“Maddy—that’s her nickname, brother; don’t look so confused—has always wanted to visit Korea, but you know how hard it is to find someplace to stay during visits. So I offered for her to stay with us.”

“Oh, so you do charity work now, too?” muttered Ilhoon. As soon as he said it, he felt guilty and hoped Ilsoon didn’t hear him. Unfortunately, she did.

Ilsoon turned to him and glared, her eyes shooting daggers at him. Her voice grew cold. “Don’t you dare say that, Jung Ilhoon. You don’t know anything about Madeleine and you don’t know anything about us as friends. Heck, I bet you don’t even know me as much as you think you did. Paris has changed me, and you’re yet to see how.”

Ilhoon was taken aback. “What do you mean?”

Ilsoon turned her back to him and went on walking. Knowing this gesture, Ilhoon decided to stay a few meters back in case she backlashed. Ilhoon pondered on what she said, but he couldn’t make out what she had meant. After all, she hadn’t told him anything about what happened in Paris. He didn’t even know why she came back. He softened. Ilsoon may be the biggest nuisance in the world, but when it comes to her, all his walls break down. He walked faster and reached out to hug her.

“Whatever it is you’re keeping inside, know that I’m always here, okay?” he said softly. Ilsoon’s stiff shoulders softened.

“When I’m ready, I promise I will.”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

A wee bit later, the Jung twins have found an isolated bench and sat down to wait. Ilhoon stuffed his ears with earphones and lowered his cap further down his head, and was soon dozing softly. What woke him about half an hour later was a shrill shriek, followed by another as if in reply. He jumped up and looked around with alarm.

“OH MY GOSH MADDY YOU’RE HERE!!!”

“OH MY GOSH ILSOON, I KNOW!!!”

Ilhoon spun a full 360 and realized that there was nothing to be alarmed about. He sat back down as he watched his sister embrace and kiss both cheeks a blonde girl about their age. She was paler than Ilsoon was and has huge blue eyes. She definitely has not a drop of Asian blood in her. When they started walking toward Ilhoon, he stood up and raised his cap a bit and tried a smile.

“Oh my gosh, that isn’t—”

“Yes, it is,” said Ilsoon with a giggle. Then she cleared and introduced them with a professional voice. “Ilhoon, this is Madeleine. And Madeleine, this is my twin brother, Jung Ilhoon.”

Ilhoon paled a bit when he heard Ilsoon speak in English and came to a thought that—of course—her best friend spoke it too. He bowed a little and mumbled, in accented English: “Hello, Madeleine.” He used Ilsoon’s intonation of Madeleine’s name and sounded pretty silly.

To his relief, Madeleine didn’t mind and enthusiastically bowed a full 90 degrees and said in accented Korean: “Hello, Ilhoon-ssi.”

Ilhoon blinked. “You speak Korean?” Then he remembered Ilsoon mentioning something about Madeleine studying Korean for fun, which personally made him sound sillier still.

Madeleine blushed. “A little, enough to get by,” she said modestly.

“She’s been studying it,” explained Ilsoon, not hesitating to show off her friend. “She finds it fun, being Kpop fan and all. I told you that already.”

“Of course, I had some help,” she added quickly, smiling at Ilsoon. “Ilsoon’s been lovely.”

“Well, it’s lucky that our parents have a little background in English,” said Ilhoon good-naturedly and chuckled.

They gathered Madeleine’s luggage and Ilhoon insisted on being a gentleman by carrying her suitcase. Ilsoon pulled along Madeleine’s trolley, completing the package of excellent hosts. Outside, Ilhoon hailed a cab and he personally loaded the bags in the trunk. Then he sat up front and gave directions to the driver while the girls sat together at the back.

“He’s so kind, your brother,” whispered Madeleine. “I’ll thank you forever for this, Ilsoon.”

“Trust me, his other friends are a lot nicer than this wet blanket,” replied Ilsoon softly with a chuckle.

Ilhoon didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but there was nothing else to listen to because his iPod’s battery had run out. So instead he listened in on the girls’ conversation.

“Say, Ilsoon,” he called, “has Madeleine eaten? Should we stop by somewhere?” It was a dumb question, but he secretly wanted to join in the conversation.

“Yes, she has,” said Ilsoon quickly before resuming what she was saying, which is in English. Even Ilhoon was surprised at how fast Ilhoon can switch languages without a hint of accent. “And then there’s Changsub oppa, who’s really funny and random, but not as much as Eunkwang oppa. You’ll see, they’re excited to meet you as much as you’re excited to meet them.”

Madeleine chuckled and hit Ilsoon’s arm playfully. “Don’t bust me!”

Then Ilhoon heard a shuffling and it seemed like Madeleine whispered a question into Ilsoon’s ear, because Ilsoon suddenly said out loud, “Why don’t you ask him yourself?”

Ilhoon cleared his throat. “You can talk to me, Madeleine. I don’t bite. I could talk formally too, if you find it easier.”

“She’s worried that her Korean would get mixed up and she’s be embarrassed by it,” chuckled Ilsoon.

“I am not,” retorted Madeleine and laughed. Then she cleared and said, “Erm, Ilhoon oppa, I want to know… What’s your school like?”

Ilhoon raised an eyebrow at her through the rearview mirror. “What do you mean?”

“I mean, is it all-boys or co-ed? And if it’s co-ed, are the boys in the same class as the girls? Because I’ve heard some Korean schools which are co-ed but boys and girls are in different classes,” explained Madeleine.

“Oh. It’s co-ed, and boys and girls are in the same class. Actually, Ilsoon here is my classmate, and so are some of my friends who belong in our year. It’s a really lucky set-up. I hope you get put in our class too.”

Madeleine turned to Ilsoon with glistening eyes. “This is so exciting!”

The three talked together all the way, flitting from one topic to another. When they arrived, Ilhoon got down first and took Madeleine’s trolley and suitcase. He finished off paying the driver and told Ilsoon to help Madeleine with her carry-on bags. When he looked at their golden-haired guest, she was picking at her clothes, rearranging her hair, and scrutinizing the tiniest detail on her fingers. He chuckled, and that caught her attention.

“Wh-why are you laughing? Is there something on my face?” she asked.

Ilhoon shook his head. “No, it’s not that. But if I were you, I wouldn’t worry so much about my appearance. You look fine, Madeleine.”

Madeleine blinked. “I-I do?”

Ilhoon tossed his bangs aside coolly. “Ilsoon’s told us a lot about you, and my friends and I have high expectations. And you certainly don’t disappoint, not in my opinion anyway. Besides, I know my hyungs pretty well, and they’d be thrilled to have get to know a real Western beauty.”

Madeleine blushed harder. “Would they?”

He nodded and began walking. Ilsoon was already a fair distance ahead. “I could name a couple who’d like to see eyes as big as yours. If I remember correctly, your eyes and hair match with Eunkwang hyung’s ideal type. So don’t sweat it and be yourself, okay?”

Madeleine was astounded. Omigosh he’s so kind. “Thank you, Ilhoon-ssi,” she gasped and bowed.

Ilhoon chuckled. “No need to be so formal, neh? We’re friends now, right?” he extended a hand and she gratefully took it.

“Hurry up, guys!” called Ilsoon. “I can’t wait to show my best friend of to the other oppas!”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

They met the rest of the boys in a café near the Jungs’ place. There was a deathly silence when everyone caught a good look at Madeleine. She indeed looked like a princess, just how Ilsoon described her. Every little movement she made screamed ‘gentle’. Her eyes in particular caught the most attention.

“Are your eyes real?” said Changsub. He looked like he was ready to drool.

Hyunsik buried his face in his palm. “Changsub, seriously. Get yourself together.”

“Your hair is so pretty,” said Sungjae and bit his lip. “It looks so soft and smooth, and natural, even with the yellow color…”

If Madeleine thought they were acting rather strange (which they were), she didn’t let on. She bowed low and introduced herself with a sunshine-y smile.

“Hello. My name is Madeleine, and I just came from Paris. Please take care of me,” she said shyly.

Introductions were made, courtesy of the Jung twins. Once the boys all got their heads wrapped around the idea that Madeleine wasn’t a fragile porcelain doll, they all took turns meeting her personally. She blushed in their attention, mainly because she has never been around so many guys before, coming from an all-girls school and all.

Eunkwang was bubbly and a chatterbox, but he was a gentleman when he wanted to be. Minhyuk was incredibly sweet and she could already see how sincere he could get. Changsub was funny and totally random, but Ilsoon had said that it’s acceptable because he’s Lee Changsub. Peniel talked to her in English and instantly made her feel comfortable. Sungjae was still enchanted by her hair that she let him touch, and she found him extremely adorable. Last but not least, she met the one person she had been the most excited to meet: Lim Hyunsik. He gave her a smile that reached his eyes and he introduced himself simply, but she couldn’t help but blush harder.

After introductions, Eunkwang made an announcement. “In line with Madeleine’s safe landing in Korea, let’s all go out for dinner! I think I have my older brother’s card with me,” he said mischievously.

Minhyuk joined their leader as a sort-of co-leader. “Let’s all show Madeleine what a great night life Korea has, alright? Let’s party!”

The younger boys plus the girls cheered, and Madeleine was in the middle of it all. This is going to be an incredible time.

Is it?

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

A/N: Heeeey guise! I want to apologize GREATLY because I have neglected this story for weeks! I have been super busy with school and requirements and extra-curriculars that I hardly found any time to sit down and write. I am so sorry. It's our sembreak now (free for 2 weeks, weee!) I think I might be able to update again same time next week. Again, I'm sorry, and I am so grateful for those who are still subscribed even if I haven't updated in a while. :))