Love Blossoms

Love Has Other Plans

A/N: OMG sorry for not updating last Sunday! It completely slipped my mind because I was so hopped up on Christmas preparations. Anyway, it's Christmas Eve in out country so I guess it's okay to greet you guys now. Merry Christmas! --neomanuisarang--

Chapter Sixteen: Love Blossoms


Meanwhile, Madeleine had kept on running from Hyunsik after she heard what he had to say. It would have been easier to cry right out in front of him, but she couldn’t bear it. She had to do something—anything—to clear her mind, and running usually made her think clearer.

I’m such a coward. I’ve run away all my life. Just when I thought I could stop running, impulse made me run away again.

She got to the house and ignored Ilsoon and Eunkwang. Not even her bestfriend could cheer her up now, not after what Hyunsik confessed. She ran straight up to their bedroom, kicked Changsub and Peniel out (she regretted it later) and locked herself in. She collapsed on the floor and cried her eyes out for an hour, ignoring the constant knocking on the door and Eunkwang’s pleas to let him in. Too tired and depressed to care about anything, Madeleine fell asleep on the spot.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

“Auntie, do you have a spare key for the bedroom upstairs?”

“Which bedroom, dear?”

Eunkwang’s ears turned pink. “Uhm, the girls’ room, auntie.”

Mrs. Jung frowned. “Hm? Was it accidentally locked from the inside?”

Eunkwang’s face lit up a bit. “Ah, yeah, yeah. I think Madeleine accidentally clicked the lock on the knob as she closed it this morning, and the girls say that they have to get inside to pack up.” To himself, he thought, since when did you become such an impressive liar, Eunkwang??

But Mrs. Jung nodded. “Alright, here. And pack up quickly, okay? We leave very early tomorrow, but we’re going out tonight for one last dinner in Jeju.”

Eunkwang smiled awkwardly. “Will do.”

Okay, a sit-down dinner. How ironic.

Eunkwang ran back to the young people’s cottage and quietly tiptoed up the stairs. Halfway up, he stopped abruptly when Minhyuk hollered, “Where are you headed with those keys, Eunkwang? Our room is down here. You’re not going to break into the girls’ room, are you? You —”

“Shut up!” hissed Eunkwang, cupping a hand over Minhyuk’s mouth. “I’m not breaking in, okay? I’m going to see if Maddy’s alright, but she won’t let me in.”

Minhyuk scowled. He yanked Eunkwang’s hand of his mouth and said in a low voice, “Well, there must be some reason why she doesn’t want to let you—or anyone else—in, isn’t there?”

Eunkwang made a face. “So you’re saying I shouldn’t try and see if she’s okay? Should I wait until she comes out and talk to her then?”

“Obviously, she’s not okay. And since when did you start not doing things because I say so? You’ve gone nuts, Eunkwang,” said Minhyuk with a smirk.

Eunkwang smack his friend in the head, but not too hard. “Aish, this bastard. I’m going in,” he said with a hint of a smile.

“That’s my boy. Good luck!”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Eunkwang slowly swung the door open and winced when it creaked. He looked around and saw Madeleine curled up in a ball on the floor, a pillow squeezed between her arms. Eunkwang softened. He carefully pushed the door until only a crack remained. Then he gingerly picked Madeleine up and put her gently on her bed. He arranged the pillows around her and put her comforter until her waist. Then he kneeled by the bed and stared at her.

Madeleine’s golden hair spread in waves around her head. Her rosebud lips were pursed close, and her cheeks were pink from crying so hard. Her eyes were also rather puffy and red, and there were tear stains on her cheeks. Eunkwang reached out and wiped them away with his thumb. Madeleine stirred at his touch, but she didn’t wake up. She sighed deeply and whimpered. Then she began muttering in her sleep.

“How could you… I didn’t know… Don’t…”

Eunkwang hushed her softly as he took her hand. “It’s okay, calm down. Nobody’s going to hurt you here.” But his heart stopped at what she said next.

“…like you… H-Hyunsik-ssi… I… l-like…”

Eunkwang bit his lip. He caressed her hand and spoke soothingly, softly, saying,

“I… I’m not Hyunsik, Maddy-ssi… I know now that you like him. But here’s my little secret: I like you. I’m not Hyunsik, but I can promise to hold your heart with care so that you don’t have to be afraid of anything anymore. I like you, Madeleine.”

A pause followed, and Eunkwang, assuming that Madeleine was really asleep, let go of her hand and stood to leave. As he was to take a step toward the door, something tugged at his wrist. He turned to see Madeleine clutching it, her eyes barely open.

“D-did you… Did you mean it?” she whispered.

Eunkwang blushed like a cherry tomato. “I… I did. I meant everything I said,” he replied shyly.

“Then don’t leave me.”

Eunkwang smiled and sat down on the bed beside her. “I won’t.”

Madeleine sat up and tried to fix her hair. She looked so dejected with her puffy red eyes, slumped shoulders, and pale face. Eunkwang touched her cheek and said, “Do you need a hug?”

Madeleine nodded mutely, and Eunkwang enveloped her in a warm embrace. It took a few seconds for Madeleine to hug him back, but when she wrapped her arms around his waist, he felt his heart do a little relay race in his chest. Madeleine sighed contentedly in Eunkwang’s arms.

“You’ve always had a secure, caring aura that I appreciated so much,” she said softly. “If I had an older brother I’d wish he were exactly like you.”

Eunkwang smiled. “I don’t know about ‘older brother’, but would a boyfriend do?” As soon as he said it, he clamped his mouth closed and mentally hit himself for being so straight-forward. Madeleine leaned away from him and gazed in his eyes.

“I… I don’t know right now, Eunkwang-ssi,” she said. “Even with the rejection, I know my heart won’t be easily turned, and I don’t want to hurt you if I go out with you without knowing if I do like you or not. Please give me time.”

Eunkwang nodded. “I understand. But you will let me help you turn your heart, right?”

Madeleine smiled and said nothing. Then her forehead creased and she clutched her head. “Ow… Crying yourself to sleep really does give you headaches, huh?” she said and groaned.

“Why don’t you rest a bit, hm? Auntie said we’re going out later for one last Jeju dinner, and you’d want to feel rested by then. I’ll wake you when it’s time to get ready.”

Madeleine lay down and cuddled with her pillows. “Thank you, Eunkwang-ssi.”

Eunkwang smiled at her and stood up to leave, but before he could lose the courage to do so, he turned and gave Madeleine a soft kiss on her forehead. Then, with a reddening face, and he left and closed the door behind him.

Madeleine was surprised by the gesture, and her own cheeks flooded with color. But then she smiled softly and giggled to herself.

Seo Eunkwang… Why not? You constantly surprise me.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-