First Day, First Night

Love Has Other Plans

Chapter Eleven: First Day, First Night


“Why are you guys so lazy? Come on, let’s go to the beach!” urged Ilsoon.

Nobody looked up at her. The boys were either too engrossed with whatever they’re doing, or they have fallen asleep. Ilsoon scowled and knelt by the couch, where Hyunsik’s head was hanging off one side.

“Hyunsik-ssi…” whispered Ilsoon in his ear. “Come with us to the beach, huh? Please~?”

Hyunsik stirred and was taken aback to see Ilsoon’s face up close. Too close, in fact.

“Wha- Wait… What?” he said, jerking back and rubbing his eyes open.

Ilsoon beamed. “Come play with us on the beach. No one else wants to go,” she pleaded and pouted: the ultimate technique.

Hyunsik scratched the back of his neck and tried to fix his hair. “Hm… Okay, okay, I’ll be out in a minute. Lemme just get ready. Yah, Lee Changsub, I think a dip would do you good.” Hyunsik prodded Changsub’s back with a foot, only to have it slapped.

“Cut it out, my head hurts…” groaned Changsub.

Hyunsik shook his head and got up. He told the girls to wait for him a bit outside while he grabbed his things. When he got out of the bedroom, he was clad in nothing but board shorts and a towel draped over his torso. On his way out, he saw Eunkwang and Minhyuk awake, watching TV. Eunkwang saw him too and called out.

“Where are you off to?”

“The girls needed a chaperone to head over to the beach. Wanna come? The sea looks rather inviting this morning,” replied Hyunsik while applying sunscreen on his arms.

Eunkwang glanced at Minhyuk and they both shrugged and nodded. “Sure, we’re coming. Wait for us.”

Outside, Ilsoon and Madeleine were applying sunscreen on each other. Ilsoon was wearing a long-sleeved cotton tee over her swimsuit and huge sunglasses, while Madeleine wore board shorts and a wide-brimmed hat to protect her face. Madeleine didn’t see Hyunsik come out, not until Ilsoon nudged her.

“Hottie-friend-of-my-brother alert,” she muttered.

Madeleine turned and blushed instantly. Most of Hyunsik’s taut body was hidden under the towel, but his toned arms were certainly not. As he walked closer the clearer they could see the parts the towel failed to cover, which were basically his abs. Just when Madeleine thought she’s seen enough for one day, Minhyuk and Eunkwang got out of the house in the same state as Hyunsik, only without the towels. Minhyuk’s was slung over his shoulder and Eunkwang’s was clutched in his hand.

“Hey Hyunsik, lend me some of that cream,” said Minhyuk.

Hyunsik turned to Madeleine and smiled charmingly. “Maddy, do you mind putting sunscreen on my back?”

Eunkwang grinned her way as well. “Let me put sunscreen on you, Maddy. Maddy…? Maddy…”

“MADDY!”

Madeleine blinked and her daydreams were gone, replaced by Ilsoon’s face.

“What?” said Madeleine, annoyed.

“Put your tongue and eyeballs back in, for goodness sake,” said Ilsoon in hushed tones. “You were totally drooling.”

“I was not!”

“Was to!”

“Was not!”

“Was to!”

“Girls, cut the discussion,” interrupted Eunkwang, putting one arm each over their shoulders. “Let’s have fun!”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

The girls and three of the boys enjoyed the first part of the morning playing on the beach and dousing each other in water until they were all soaked. It was only around 10 AM did the rest of the boys arrive on the scene, even Changsub.

“You guys are mean, leaving us out like that!” yelled Sungjae. He ran towards Ilsoon and easily threw her over his shoulder. Ilsoon laughed and pounded his back playfully.

“I told you to play with us, but you were all too busy sleeping!” said Ilsoon in between laughs.

“You should have woken me up! For that, take this,” said Sungjae and dropped Ilsoon in the water.

“YAH YOOK SUNGJAE!”

“Hey hey hey! Jung Ilsoon it the ‘it’!” yelled Ilhoon, causing his sister to change course and chase him instead.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

The kids played all morning. When midmorning rolled in, Mr. and Mrs. Jung set up the grill and two huge beach umbrellas and began the barbecue. Madeleine, whose skin was beginning to get irritated, got under the shade under one of the umbrellas and re-applied sunscreen.

“Fun, huh?”

She looked up to see a soaked Peniel walking towards her—no, the shade—and sat beside her. He beamed at her and reached across her to get his towel among the bags.

“You tired?” he asked (in English) while wiping himself with the towel.

“Hm? No, not really,” replied Madeleine involuntarily in English. “My skin gets irritated quickly, though, so standing in the sun for too long is not an option. You?”

“Me? I’m tired,” he said with a chuckle. “So, how’s your stay in Korea so far?”

“It’s fun, really fun. I mean, I have Ilsoon to show me around and keep me company, and there’s you guys. You’re so much fun to hang around with. I don’t have many boy buddies in Paris and it’s a refreshing experience.”

Peniel laughed. “We’re weird, though. Don’t you think so?”

“That’s part of the fun,” replied Madeleine and laughed along.

“Donggeun-ssi! Call the others and come eat!” called Mr. Jung.

“I’m on it, sir!” he replied. Softly, he said, “Nobody seems to remember my nickname.”

“Donggeun is your real name? Why do you use Peniel?” asked Madeleine.

Peniel shrugged. “It’s supposed to be catchy, and to be honest, I don’t really like the sound of Donggeun,” he said and winked. He then ran towards to water to call the others. Madeleine watched as he did and as the others dragged him into the water to get him wet again. Ilsoon saw her and waved excitedly. Madeleine waved back while grinning broadly.

I must be the luckiest girl in the world to have such a bestfriend, she thought.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

They had lunch by the beach and hung out under the umbrellas while the sun was at its hottest, drinking smoothies Mrs. Jung whipped up. When even the sand was giving out heat, they all trooped back to the cottage to shower and rest. The afternoon passed quietly, with the kids just watching TV or surfing the net. Ilsoon sat outside on the 2nd floor balcony, reading a book and earplugs stuffed in her ears. Madeleine was sleeping inside. The boys were all on the first floor.

When 6 o’clock came, Ilsoon noticed that she was squinting more and more to read her book. She looked up and saw that the light had dimmed because the sun was setting. She removed her earplugs, took a long-sleeved pullover and ran out to the beach to watch the sunset. She sat on a fallen log and watched as the setting sun turned the sky into myriad shades of pink, orange, gold, and red.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

Ilsoon looked up to see Hyunsik standing beside her. He smiled that small smile of his and asked, “Mind if I sit with you?”

“No, not at all,” she said and scooted over to let Hyunsik sit. He did and they watched the sun disappear in the horizon in silence. Or maybe it was just Ilsoon, because Hyunsik found himself watching her instead. Her short black hair fell to her nape and was tucked behind her ears. Her eyes shined with all the colors of the sunset. Her rosebud lips were parted in awe. Her slender arms were crossed over her chest and she leaning forward. Her long legs were bent slightly and her toes were dug in the sand. Hyunsik sighed, which caught Ilsoon’s attention.

“You okay? That was some sigh,” she said.

Hyunsik back off and awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. “Erm, yeah, uh. That was nice, wasn’t it?”

“Yeah,” said Ilsoon dreamily. “It’s not every day I get to watch the summer sunset on the beach.”

Hyunsik nodded with a small smile. “That’s true.”

“Well, I guess we better get in before anyone worries.”

“Right.”

They got up simultaneously and dusted themselves off. On their way back, they engaged in friendly banter. Their voices reached the second floor and woke Madeleine, who went out into the balcony just in time to see Ilsoon on her toes, trying to reach Hyunsik’s hair, and Hyunsik stopping her by gripping her waist. Madeleine didn’t notice, but her hands gripped the railing harder, turning her knuckles white.

When Ilsoon entered the room, Madeleine was still standing on the balcony and looking out into the darkened horizon.

“Oh, Maddy! Have you been awake long? Did you get to watch the sunset?” asked Ilsoon.

Madeleine turned and smiled. “Actually, I just got up.”

“Aw, what a shame. It was beautiful,” said Ilsoon.

“I’m sure it was,” whispered Madeleine.

“What?”

Madeleine smiled wider. “Nothing. Say, Ilsoon, do you, perhaps, have someone you like?”

Ilsoon seemed to be taken aback by the question. “Hm… No, not really. Not right now. Why? Do you?”

Madeleine smiled a tight-lipped smile. “It’s nothing; I was just curious. C’mon, then. Auntie might need help with dinner.”

Madeleine rushed past Ilsoon, who shrugged and went after her bestfriend, who never really answered her last question.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

After dinner and a little stargazing, everyone turned in early, exhausted by an exciting morning. But the moon was already high in the dark night sky and Madeleine was still wide awake.

Probably because I spent the afternoon sleeping, she thought. She took a sweater and went out into the balcony. It was a windy night, and the stars were numerous against the night’s dark expanse. Madeleine took a deep breath and smiled contentedly.

“I thought I was the only one who had insomnia.”

Madeleine turned abruptly, but relaxed when she saw Eunkwang. He went beside her and leaned against the railing.

“You… You have insomnia?” she asked shyly. Then she realized that the only way to get onto this balcony was through the girls’ bedroom. “Hey, what are you doing, barging in like this?”

Eunkwang chuckled softly. “I checked, okay? You girls are pretty careful with your things anyway.”

“Still, you could have knocked,” muttered Madeleine.

“And risk waking Ilsoon up? No thanks,” he replied good-naturedly. He stared up at the sky. “There are even more stars late at night.”

Madeleine looked back up at the sky. “Mhm. Wait, you didn’t answer my question. You have insomnia?”

Eunkwang nodded. “Either that, or I really have trouble sleeping. It takes me hours or even a few pills to get a good, long shut-eye. It must be because senior year is catching up on me. It’s been a very busy year, but it’s not done yet. There are yearbook pictures and write-ups to finalize, and there’s still graduation and grad ball.”

“But you’re here now,” said Madeleine. “Try and relax a little.”

Eunkwang shrugged. “It’s a habit. So since I won’t be sleeping any time soon, you best keep me company.” He glanced at her and smiled. She giggled softly and sighed.

“Fine.”

A pause followed afterwards, but it was a comfortable kind of silence.

“So what kept you up?” Eunkwang asked suddenly.

“Hmm… I don’t know, really,” she said. “I guess it’s been an exciting first day and the thought that the next few days will be just as fun is enough to keep me awake for a few more hours.”

“Fair enough,” he replied.

“And, I’m feeling bothered by something,” Madeleine said quietly. As soon as she said it, she wished Eunkwang didn’t hear, because once provoked, she wouldn’t be able to keep herself from babbling out whatever she has in mind.

Too bad it was so quiet and whispers are very easily heard.

“What is it? Care to share?” asked Eunkwang.

No, I won’t say it. I won’t say it. I wo—oops, too late.

“Eunkwang oppa, do you have someone you like?” asked Madeleine all of a sudden.

Eunkwang rose his eyebrows. “Uhm, not that I know of. How is that relevant to anything?”

Madeleine’s cheeks flared and it wasn’t easy to hide it under the moon’s ivory light. “W-well, actually, I do. Don’t tease me! I know that look.”

Eunkwang was already grinning widely when he saw her cheeks turn pink, and was prepping to poke her sides. Eunkwang gulped down his laughter and said, “Alright, please continue.”

Madeleine glared pointedly before sighing. She sank down on the floor and hugged her legs close to her chest. “I have someone I like, but I don’t think he will like me back, like, ever. It’s either because he doesn’t know me that well, or he has someone else that he likes. I can certainly do something about the former, but the latter…”

Eunkwang nodded, understanding. “Do I know who it is? Could I help you with this dilemma?”

Madeleine burned an even brighter red. Eunkwang caught the hint.

“I know the guy, then! Hm… Could it be that it’s one of the boys in this cottage?” he said excitedly.

Madeleine leapt up and cupped her hand over Eunkwang’s mouth to silence him.

“Shut up shut up shut up!” she hissed. Eunkwang nodded vigorously and Madeleine removed her hand.

“Who is it?” gasped Eunkwang.

Madeleine pouted and sank into the lounge chair to her left. She mumbled something that Eunkwang didn’t hear.

“Sorry, what? Honest, I really didn’t hear,” said Eunkwang.

Madeleine took a deep breath and looked up. “Lim Hyunsik. I like Lim Hyunsik.”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-