A Night of Thoughts

Love Has Other Plans

Chapter Fourteen: A Night of Thoughts


At around 2 in the morning, Ilsoon suddenly woke up. She looked to her right and Madeleine was sleeping soundly in her bed. She listened closely and judging by how quiet it is, everyone in their cottage is sound asleep. She got off her bed and tiptoed to the balcony.

The horizon was very dark, and the stars were already few. Ilsoon sighed and leaned against the railing, trying to decipher why she got up at such a time.

This better not be scene from a horror story, author-nim.

Ilsoon perched herself on the lounge chair and hugged herself. She got her phone from the pocket of her pajamas and played with it. The wallpaper was a picture of her asleep on Eunkwang’s shoulder. He sent it to her the day after she first met them and dared her to use it as her wallpaper. She has forgotten to change it until now. She smiled.

Eunkwang oppa always looks so happy. And cute.

She felt a fluttery feeling in her chest and a tug at her stomach. She reeled and gasped.

Oh no, this better not be what I think it is.

Ilsoon quickly went through her gallery and opened a folder of pictures containing the other boys. But not Minhyuk, nor Changsub, nor Peniel, nor Sungjae, nor—heck, not even Hyunsik made her feel the way she suddenly felt when she saw Eunkwang. Ilsoon fell back on her chair and resisted the urge to laugh out loud in the irony.

Oh gods… Why am I only realizing this now??? Do I really like—?

Just then, she heard the back door of the cottage opening. She ran back inside the room and hid behind the curtains. She saw a flash of brown hair from downstairs, and a pair of fluffy indoor slippers. Ilsoon peeked farther and realized that is was Eunkwang.

Does he really have to show up now? Thanks a lot, author-nim.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Eunkwang stepped out of the house with a mug of coffee to keep his hands warm. He looked out into the sky and sighed. Lately he had been thinking about a particular person quite often, and he had been noticing her a lot more than he did before. He sipped his coffee and exhaled.

Her blonde hair, her blue eyes, her rosy cheeks, and her English spiels… Everything was so prim and proper. Just like my ideal type.

When she had first come, Eunkwang was to one to initiate a little welcome party to celebrate her arrival. He saw her a lot around school, and she was always there with Ilsoon to watch their band practice. He slowly got to know the younger girl, and as he did, he didn’t notice that he was slowly falling as well. It was only when he had fallen too deep that he realized he liked Madeleine Beauregard.

Wow. Seo Eunkwang, you are one cheesy fellow.

Eunkwang smiled to himself as a blush settled on his cheeks.  He took another sip of coffee as he turned back toward the house. On his way back, he noticed Ilsoon from the balcony, and waved. Ilsoon seemed surprised to see him, but she smiled and waved back.

“What are you doing up?” Eunkwang said, loud enough for her to hear, yet soft not to disturb anyone sleeping inside.

Ilsoon shrugged. “I was just thinking. It’s our last day here tomorrow.”

“Yeah… I wish we could stay longer, though.”

Long enough for Madeleine to get to know me more as a man, Eunkwang silently thought.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

As Eunkwang smiled and went in, Ilsoon sunk to her knees.

I really have fallen in too deep.

She heaved a sigh and pumped her fist into the air, whispering, “Fighting!” to herself.

Tomorrow is my last chance. He’s graduating soon and he won’t have time to listen to me when we get back home. I will tell him my feelings tomorrow.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

As Eunkwang settled into his bedroll, he decided: he will surprise Madeleine tomorrow with breakfast, and a confession.

Yes. This is my last chance. She might be going home soon the moment we get back to Seoul. There is no other time but now.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-