City of Love

Love Has Other Plans

Chapter Twenty-Three: City of Love


Three days passed after Madeleine sent her video to Korea, and no one has replied to her or anything like that. Not that she was expecting something, but she figured it would be rather nice to know that everything’s fine back there.

So it was peaceful weekday summer morning in Paris, ironically called the City of Love. Madeleine was out by herself, window-shopping and sight-seeing and just basically trying to kill time. Where she lived was only a short trip to the Eiffel Tower, and feeling somehow drawn to the magnificent tourist attraction, she decided to pay it a quick visit.

The sun was high up in the sky when she got there, so she lowered her wide-brimmed hat to cast a shadow over her face and slipped her cardigan on. She paid a fare to climb up the Eiffel Tower, and soon she was looking out into Paris. She could see the Champs-Elysees glittering in the distance, boats filled with couples floating on it. Madeleine leaned on her elbows against the railing, enjoying the peace.

Just then a gust of wind blew, pulling her hat off her head. It flew over the crowds and disappeared. Madeleine tried looking for it, only to pout in dismay.

“I liked that hat,” she said to herself, then turned the other way and got the shock of her life.

Eunkwang stood in front of her, her hat in his hand and a wide smile on his face. He extended his arm toward her, saying, “I think this is yours.” He walked toward her, still smiling, and put the hat on her head.

Madeleine took a few stunned moments before she responded, and thankfully her Korean was still intact. “Wh-what are you doing here, Eunkwang-ssi?”

“No reason. I just felt like going to see the Eiffel Tower today,” he said with a shrug. He glanced at Madeleine, and laughed at her incredulous look. “Just kidding. I came to see you, of course.”

“How did you know I was here?” she asked, still not believing that someone from the other side of the world came all the way to Paris to see her.  “And why did you want to see me?”

Eunkwang’s lips curled as he turned sideways and looked over the railing. “Maybe my heart knows wherever you are, and it can easily find you among the crowd.”

Madeleine blushed, and she raised a cardigan-covered hand to hide half of her face, but she couldn’t help but stare. He came all the way here…to see me? She gazed at him, and her own chest hurt with longing. She missed him—no, she missed all of them, and seeing him right here, right now, made her heart swell up with joy, but hurt with longing at the same time.

Just then, he turned to look at her with a smile on his face, making her stomach flutter. He offered her his hand and said, “I say we go on a classic Parisian date. What do you think?”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

And a Parisian date they did. Once they got down the Tower, Eunkwang led Madeleine toward a small flower stall and bought her a flower crown. As he braided her hair, she lifted her phone and took a picture. In it she was smiling—her face was still a bit pink—while Eunkwang had a serious expression as he secured the flower crown on her head. She giggled, and Eunkwang noticed the picture on her phone.

“Hey, I wasn’t looking!” he protested. “Here, let’s take it again. The flower crown suits you.”

Madeleine beamed and she lifted her phone again. She felt Eunkwang’s drape over her shoulders, and he put his face close to hers. Click.

These memories… I will hold onto them forever.

 

For the whole day they perused Paris. They visited a café and tried some of their crepe sucrée, then went and strolled past the beautiful Parisian galleries. Eunkwang paid to have a sketch of them made; a sketch where he had as arm wrapped around Madeleine.

Later they visited a popular Parisian restaurant for their lunch, and after eating, Eunkwang ordered crème brulée. He borrowed her phone and took a picture of him feeding her. A street violinist came up to them and played a sweet melody that made one think of the cool summer days.

During the afternoon the walked past the galleries, and in a hat shop Eunkwang bought the two of them matching berets, and they took a selca together with them on. They took another one on a gondola floating idly on the Champs-Elysees.

The sun was beginning to set when Eunkwang decided to head back to the Eiffel Tower for dinner, and after which they just looked out into the horizon, watching the sun dip farther and farther down. Its light turned everything gold and red, and the air was still warm and cozy.

“Today was a great day, Maddy-ssi,” said Eunkwang suddenly, breaking their silence.

Madeleine smiled. “I thought so too.”

Eunkwang hesitated for a moment, and then said, “I’m heading back to Korea tomorrow.”

Madeleine gave a startled gasp as she turned her head abruptly to look at him. “Y-you are?”

He nodded, not meeting eyes with her. “I still have graduation, and there’s a ton of things I have left to do.”

“Oh…” Madeleine felt all the elation she had felt during the day drain out of her and found herself leaning on the railing for support. She wanted to cry, but the reason why was blurry.

“I went here, honestly because I wanted to see you—probably for the last time—before I grow up, y’know, with college and jobs later on. I had fun with you on Jeju, and I had fun with you now. I’m happy because of those moments.”

Madeleine couldn’t speak. She couldn’t even move to nod. Eunkwang touched her hand lightly, like a gentle breeze, and it was then did she regain control. She took her hand back sharply.

“Madeleine—”

“No, please…” she whispered inaudibly.

“Madeleine, I’m sorry I can’t stay. I really am.”

“Why did you have to come here and remind me of those things that I couldn’t have, then?” she said suddenly, mostly to herself. “If you didn’t come to stay, you shouldn’t have come at all.” She turned to leave, only to be pulled back into Eunkwang’s embrace. He encircled his arms around her protectively, as if he’d never let go.

“If I didn’t come,” he whispered, “I wouldn’t have lived at all. I would forever regret not having said the things I could have said. I like you, Madeleine; I like you so much. I’ve said it once before, but this time I mean with all my heart.”

Madeleine sighed, but it was a sad, heavy sort of sigh. “You come here; you spend the day with me; you tell me you like me; then, tomorrow, you leave me. How confusing.”

Eunkwang let her go, but he kept a firm hold on her forearms. His hands shook, he bit his lower lip, and he looked deep into her eyes, as if in search for something. He looked just as confused as she was.

“Come back with me.”

Madeleine blinked. “What? No, you know I can’t.”

He lowered his head. “I did… I mean, yes, I knew that. I just thought… Well… Never mind.” He lifted a hand to touch her face, and his touch was tender and caring and beautiful, and Madeleine felt a deep longing in that simple, heartfelt touch. He missed her just as much as she missed them.

“You won’t forget me, will you?” he asked.

It was then did the dam break. Madeleine’s eyes slowly filled and glistened with tears, and as a crystal-like one rolled down her cheek, Eunkwang wiped it away.

“You won’t forget me, will you?” he asked again, softer this time. “I’ll make sure you don’t.”

He leaned forward and brushed his lips with hers. It lingered there for a moment, but it was enough. Madeleine’s eyes fell shut, and more tears spilled through her eyelids.

I can’t forget you even if I tried.

Eunkwang’s own withheld feelings showed through his own tears. His mind raced with his thoughts of her: her golden hair, her rosy cheeks, and her eyes…

His memory will forever bear the color of her eyes, blue and gentle as forget-me-nots. And he will never forget.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

A/N: Finally updated WOOHOO. Did you guys miss me?? I'm soooo sorry~! Mianhae~! Gomen ne~!