New Girl

Love Has Other Plans

Chapter Four: New Girl


It was a drizzly sort of Monday morning. Hyunsik, Peniel, Sungjae, and Ilhoon sat together in one corner of the classroom, looking out into the rain. Peniel was tracing raindrops that were running down the glass windows. Sungjae had his head buried in his arms and was softly dozing. Hyunsik was just staring a hole right through the rain. Ilhoon was sitting on top of Hyunsik’s desk with his back against the window, reading a novel he borrowed from Minhyuk.

Just then, the homeroom teacher of 2-B came in. Peniel sat straight in his chair and nudged the sleeping Sungjae beside him. Ilhoon got off Hyunsik’s desk and sank into the chair in front. He was the last one to settle down, and the teacher was looking at him weirdly. Sungjae noticed this and glanced at Ilhoon, but he wasn’t doing anything out of the ordinary.

“So, Jung Ilhoon is here,” said the teacher, still wearing his weirded-out face.

Ilhoon raised an eyebrow. What’s that supposed to mean?

But the teacher didn’t explain further. He took out his class list and began the roll call. For the first time his class was complete. Then he beckoned to the door and said words that the class least expected to hear.

“We have a new student joining us today.”

The door slowly creaked open, and anticipation built up among the students. Who was it? Is it a cute boy? Or maybe a pretty girl? Finally, the new student walked into the room and stood beside the teacher’s table. Everyone’s jaws went slack and many looked at Ilhoon and back at her.

Ilhoon’s own eyes popped open. Is this the surprise you were talking about? he thought as he resisted the urge to stand and make a scene.

The girl in front bowed politely and smiled. “Hello, everyone. I’m the new girl: Jung Ilsoon. I studied in Paris before coming here. I heard that my brother is in this class. Oh, there he is. Hi, Ilhoon!” She waved to Ilhoon, who was growing redder by the minute. He lowered his head and sank deeper into his chair.

“Alright, Ilsoon. I see a vacant seat right there, beside Hyunsik and behind Sungjae. Boys, raise your hands so she may recognize you,” instructed the teacher, who was still looked pretty dazed. The said boys raised their hands and the new girl took note of where they are.

Ilsoon bowed again and walked confidently down the aisle. Everyone openly stared at her, and you couldn’t blame them; she was worth staring at. Her hair was short and ebony-black. She was slim, and despite her school blazer they could easily see her S-line. She had long legs and slender arms. But most of all they noticed her face: it looked exactly like Ilhoon’s, only more feminine. Just as Ilhoon was handsome, Ilsoon was pretty.

Ilsoon arrived at her desk and smiled at the people around her. Sungjae turned around and gaped at her, to which Ilsoon chuckled. Hyunsik was just as surprised.

“You’re the girl from the comic store,” he blurted out, then mentally face-palmed himself because of how stupid he must have sounded. Ilsoon beamed at him.

“You’re the boy with the cute eyesmile!” she replied and held out her hand. “It’s nice to officially meet you, without tripping up over anything.” She giggled.

Hyunsik shook her hand and marveled at its size and feel: it was small and delicate, and it felt just right in his, however cheesy that may sound.

The teacher up front got back to his senses and cleared his throat. The other students looked back up front and paid attention, but once in a while they would glance at the new girl seated with Ilhoon and his group.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Come lunchtime, Ilsoon persuaded Ilhoon to let her come and meet everyone else. They four boys of 2-B plus Ilsoon got to the cafeteria first and sat on their usual table. Soon, the older boys came. When they saw Ilsoon, Eunkwang, Minhyuk, and Changsub stopped abruptly in their tracks.

“Woah, is it just me, or is this girl Ilhoon’s doppelganger?” said Eunkwang.

Ilsoon giggled. It’s him, the happy-go-lucky guy who visited the house, she thought. She stood up and bowed politely.

“Hello, I’m Jung Ilsoon. I’ve heard a lot about you guys and I’m thrilled to meet you right now,” she said.

After getting over the shock, introductions were made over sandwiches, doshiraks, and milkshakes. Ilsoon found the boys extremely hilarious and talkative, and the boys in turn found Ilsoon quite a charmer. When all the necessary introductions were made and all Ilhoon’s absences were explained (and their lunch was settling in comfortably in their stomachs), the rest of BTOB found themselves staring at the Jung twins. Ilhoon looked rather uncomfortable with the attention, while Ilsoon basked in it.

“It’s really creepy how alike you guys look,” said Changsub. Peniel nodded.

“Of course,” said Ilhoon sarcastically. “We’re twins, see.”

“They even sound alike,” whispered Peniel. Changsub nodded.

“Wait, I want to know,” said Sungjae and raised his hand. “Which one of you is older?”

“Me, by four minutes,” said Ilhoon and smirked. Ilsoon shot him a look. There came another awkward pause. The members shuffled around uncomfortably.

“This is really creeping me out right now,” said Minhyuk as he leaned back on his arms.

“Me too,” said Hyunsik. “But in a good way. I don’t know how that works out, but it does.”

Ilsoon beamed at him, just like how she did in class. Hyunsik almost blushed, and Minhyuk caught that look on his face. Ah-hah. A blackmail opportunity!

Eunkwang cleared his throat. “Well, it sure is lovely to meet you, Ilsoon-ssi. It’s your turn to introduce yourself, now, since Ilhoon never told us about you.”

“I had my reasons, okay?” snapped Ilhoon and crossed his arms.

Ilsoon nodded and nodded her head slightly before beginning.

“My name is Jung Ilsoon, and I am Ilhoon's twin sister. I have been studying as a freshman in high school in Paris since we moved up from elementary, and this is the first time in a long time that I’ve been back in Korea. I’m currently 16 years old, like Ilhoon.”

Peniel raised a hand. “Do you speak English?”

Ilsoon smiled. “Yes, I do. And I’m pretty fluent in French as well,” she said in perfect English, without a hint of Korean accent. The boys ‘ooh’-ed and clapped in chorus, except for Ilhoon, who muttered: “Psh. Show-off.”

“But why were you raised in Paris? How come Ilhoon stayed here?” asked Minhyuk. “And why did you come back.”

“I left in the start of the summer before we were supposed to go into high school. Our aunt Clarisse—remember her, brother?—told me that there was a university in Paris that’s holding an fashion and design  summer training and she thought I’d like to give it a go, you know, in preparation for college. I went with her and liked it so much, I decided to attend high school there for the time being, thinking I’d go straight to college after. I returned because of… Well, personal reasons. I hope you understand,” explained Ilsoon.

The boys all nodded and said they did, and then an awkward pause followed. Ilhoon, who was still pretty cross that his sister didn’t give him any premonition that she was going to attend his school, decided to end the meeting then and there.

“Okay so yeah, you met my sister. Can we get on now? A free afternoon is going to get wasted,” interrupted Ilhoon, getting annoyed. Everyone was rather baffled by his impatient actions.

“Why are you such a wet blanket, Ilhoon?” said Ilsoon, giving her twin a look. He returned it generously.

“It’s like looking at a person staring at a mirror,” whispered Changsub. “Or scowling at it, rather.” Sungjae nodded.

To prevent any other problems arising, Eunkwang cut in. “Erm, we do have to get on with practice, Ilsoon-ssi. Would you care to come with us to the band room and wait for us to finish?”

“No, she was just leaving,” said Ilhoon, still glaring at his sister. Ilsoon rolled her eyes and turned and smiled widely at Eunkwang.

“I’ll go over there with you and not mind, Eunkwang oppa,” she said. “Is it okay if I call you like so? You can call me informally too.”

Eunkwang’s cheeks flared. “U-uhm, yeah, sure, you can call me that.”

Minhyuk’s jaw dropped. Not this one too!

“Okay, w-well, let’s just fix up here and go practice,” stammered Eunkwang and grabbed his backpack. The others followed suit and went after their leader to the band room. As Ilsoon was getting out of the cafeteria doors, her brother suddenly grasped her arm.

“Go home,” was all he said, but his voice was serious and stern.

Ilsoon resisted to stomp her foot on the ground. “No. I’m staying here.”

Ilhoon blew his hair out of his face. “Why are you so stubborn?”

“Because I’m your carbon copy,” she replied in a sassy way. “Now let go. And prepare yourself for more surprises, courtesy of moi.”

Ilsoon yanked her arm from Ilhoon’s grip and went to sit in one corner.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

BTOB went to practice with Ilsoon watching. Once or twice she would make a face whenever Ilhoon looked her way and cause him to mess up, and would laugh when he shot her a look. Hyunsik was looking distracted as well.

So that’s why I though I’ve seen her before, he thought. She looks exactly like Ilhoon.

“Ow--Hyunsik, move it,” muttered Changsub when his foot got stepped on by the distracted male.

“Oh, sorry hyung,” whispered Hyunsik and moved out of the way. I’ve got to stop thinking about her.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Practice was adjourned at 7 PM. Good thing the night shift guard hasn’t come to shoo them out yet, because they were all pretty tired.

Eunkwang went to where Ilsoon was, because his bag was right beside her. He got his phone to check for messages when he noticed Ilsoon’s head bobbing. He peeked under her hair and softened. Ilsoon had fallen asleep. He sat beside her and propped her head on his shoulder.

Meanwhile, Ilhoon had gone to and come back from the CR. His eyes automatically flitted to where Ilsoon was seated and saw Eunkwang flipping through his phone with his sister’s head on his shoulder.

“What are you doing there, Eunkwang hyung?” he said loudly. Eunkwang wasn’t fazed.

“Ilsoon fell asleep, and you know how painful it is to wake up after not putting your head somewhere comfortable while you slept,” said Eunkwang and smiled up at the younger boy. He didn’t notice the uncomfortable creases etched on Ilhoon’s forehead.

“You guys look like a couple,” piped Sungjae and exchanged high-fives with Minhyuk.

Ilhoon rolled his eyes and knelt in front of Ilsoon. “Yah, Jung Ilsoon. Wake up!”

Ilsoon stirred and opened her eyes. She felt something warm against her cheek and turned to see a smiling Eunkwang beside her.

“Oh, did I fall asleep on you? Sorry,” she said groggily and turned to Ilhoon. “Are you done practicing?”

“We were, about 10 minutes ago,” said Ilhoon and unconsciously bit his bottom lip. “Come on, we’re going home, and I’m going to demand an explanation from mom and dad.” He was being jittery, as if something had gone wrong and he was going to pay dearly for it.

Hyunsik was rather appalled by Ilhoon’s brisk manner and spoke up. “You should have just let her sleep on some more. She looks tired.”

“Trust me, she was just bored,” replied Ilhoon, and added, “hyung.”

He grabbed Ilsoon’s arm and bag and stood to leave. When he heard Ilsoon mutter in pain, Eunkwang stood up too.

“You can’t just handle ladies like that, even she is your sister,” he said hardly. “Show a little respect, Jung Ilhoon. What has gotten into you lately?”

Ilhoon didn’t turn, but he lightened his grip on Ilsoon’s arm. “I’ll handle her the way I know how to, because she won’t listen to me otherwise. I know I wouldn’t.” He paused, and then said: “We’re leaving.”

“Are you just going to leave without asking for permission?” Eunkwang called sternly.

Ilhoon’s shoulders deflated. He let go of Ilsoon and turned, then bowed to his hyungs. “I’m sorry, hyungs. May Ilsoon and I be excused now? We have to get on home or out parents will worry.”

Eunkwang nodded. “Fine, go.”  Aish, this stubborn boy is already in trouble, but I can’t stay angry for too long.

“See you tomorrow, Ilsoon!” waved Sungjae, almost oblivious to the tension among the older boys.

Ilsoon shot him a smile before following her brother outside. The others gathered their things up and cleaned the band room for the next set of users, before turning the lights off and heading on home.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-