Into Paradise

Love Has Other Plans

Chapter Ten: Into Paradise


Madeleine had come into Korea just before the summer vacation began. She attended some classes with Ilsoon, Ilhoon, and their friends as an honorary member of their class. Two weeks passed and soon the sun was shining in a rather different way, signaling the end of spring and the beginning of summer.

“Yahooo~! That had just been the last class of the year, party people!” Sungjae hooted. He swung his backpack across his back and grinned at his companions. “What are you guys doing this summer?”

“We should definitely meet up,” said Peniel. “How about a trip to somewhere? Doesn’t Eunkwang hyung drive already?”

“What, like a road trip? Sounds fun!”

Hyunsik smiled softly and watched as his friends discussed plans. He caught a soft waft of floral cologne and somehow knew that Ilsoon was standing close to him.

“About the trip, our parents were actually planning on heading over to Jeju Island, and mom told us to invite you guys,” said Ilsoon.

“Woah, really? I didn’t hear you talking about that with auntie,” piped Madeleine.

“You were asleep, actually. I guess it was jetlag.”

“Wait, wait, so when is this trip?” asked Sungjae.

Ilhoon coolly tossed his bangs aside (“It’s infuriating when he does that,” muttered Ilsoon) and said, “We leave next week, just enough time for you guys to ask for permission and pack whatever.”

An excited banter erupted and soon the boys and the girls were on their way out of the school building. They met the rest of the group just by the gate and told them of their plans. Eunkwang phoned his parents then and there, and confirmed his attendance to the said outing.

“How long will we be staying, by the way?” asked Minhyuk.

“Two weeks max,” replied Ilhoon.

“Great! So why don’t we all get a celebratory drink or something down at the nearest café?” said Ilsoon all of a sudden.

“Uhm, what’s that got to do with anything?” replied Ilhoon.

“Nothing, I’m just craving for milktea and summer just started, so let’s go!” Ilsoon pulled Madeleine along, laughing and chatting with her. Hyunsik stifled a smile. The way her hair got whipped around by the wind, the way the sun brightens up her already-cheerful smile, and the way her eyes crinkle when she laughs; he loves those little things about her.

He sighed and wished a summer wish: that someday, I’ll get to tell her all those things and more.

-.-.-.-.-.-

On the day of their departure, the Jung family met the rest of the group at the airport’s drop-off section at 3 AM. They checked in and waited at the lounge for their flight. While waiting, Changsub felt a rumble in his stomach and remember that he forgot to eat breakfast. He groaned.

Madeleine was sitting beside him and she heard his stomach. She giggled. Changsub looked at her with a “Tell-everyone-and-I’ll-kill-you” face.

“Make yourself useful and come with me to the café,” said Changsub crossly.

Madeleine smirked. “Okay, okay. I was getting bored anyway, and Ilsoon has fallen asleep.”

In fact, everyone has fallen asleep on their seats save for Mr. and Mrs. Jung. Ilsoon was lying down on Ilhoon’s lap. Hyunsik was knocked out on Ilhoon’s shoulder, and Ilhoon was supporting his head on Hyunsik’s head. Eunkwang and Minhyuk had their heads rolled back on their seat and were snoring. Peniel was dozing on his arms against the backrest, and Sungjae was leaning on Peniel’s back.

Changsub stifled a laugh. “They look so stupid. I should take a picture, for blackmailing purposes later.”

Madeleine playfully rolled her eyes and approached Mrs. Jung to tell her where she and Changsub are off to. Changsub drew out his phone and found the perfect angle.

“Pst! Maddy! Stay right there, and smile.”

The blonde girl shrugged and smiled gently. Changsub took the picture, and reviewed it. Madeleine was very beautiful. Her golden hair cascaded down her shoulders in waves, and her smile was gentle against her pale-pink lips. Changsub sighed.

“Did it turn out good?” asked Madeleine and sidled up to Changsub. Changsub snapped out of his thoughts and quickly pocketed his phone.

“Yeah, yeah, it turned out good,” he said dismissively.

“Really, in this light?” Madeleine asked.

“Mhm,” mumbled Changsub.

“Changsub-ssi, are you alright? Your face is all red.”

Changsub quickly turned away and pocketed his cold hands. “Aish, never mind. I must be mortal hungry. Let’s go grab something.”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

The plane came half an hour later, and Ilhoon found himself being woken up by his mother.

“Ilhoon, honey, the plane is here, but Changsub and Madeleine haven’t come back. They said they would be over at the café. Could you please head over there quickly and call them?”

Ilhoon rubbed his eyes open and sat up straight. His movement woke Hyunsik and Ilsoon. “Yeah, eomma, I’ll be over there quickly.” He got up and stumbled along the corridor.

He found Changsub and Madeleine laughing together over two mugs of hot cocoa and a plate of cookies in the café. He scowled and whistled to them.

“Hey, you two, is it really time for a date? I can’t believe you guys were hiding something from all of us,” said Ilhoon.

Madeleine stood up at once. “Is the plane here? Sorry to have you come, Ilhoon-ssi!” She picked up her coat and hurried out. Changsub followed quickly, but Ilhoon grabbed his arm.

“Seriously, hyung? I didn’t know you had a thing for younger girls,” said Ilhoon with a smirk.

Changsub yanked his arm away. “Who said anything about liking someone? Shut up and let’s go.” The younger boy hurried out, while Ilhoon hung back a second to laugh.

He is so damn obvious.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

“It’s beautiful here!”

Madeleine stood at the edge of a cliff looking out to sea. The sky was clear and blue, and a cool summer breeze was blowing. Madeleine took a deep breath and relished the clean smell of the air.

I’ve never felt so alive before.

“Madeleine! We’re heading over to the house. You coming?” called Peniel. Madeleine turned and watched as the others unloaded their things from the pick-up van. Knowing that she’s on this vacation with her bestfriend, the brother, and their totally hot handsome friends only added up to the blissful feeling she felt.

“I’ll be right down, oppa!” she replied. She clutched her shoulder bag and couldn’t resist skipping down. But in her glee she missed a loose stone in her path and tripped.

“Ah!”

“Gotcha!”

Madeleine, who was expecting the ground the hit her extra hard on the face, opened her eyes and saw that someone had caught her just in time. Hyunsik’s gentle eyes met hers and she blushed instantly.

“Watch yourself there, Madeleine,” he cooed as he helped her stand up properly.

“Th-thank you, oppa,” Madeleine whispered. Hyunsik smiled and patted her hair gently, then gestured for her to follow him inside with the rest of the vacation crew. Madeleine bowed hastily to hide her red face, and then ran inside the house.

Upone entering the house, one would see Changsub, Ilsoon and Ilhoon sitting in the living room amidst all the bags and boxes. Changsub was asleep; long travel hours and car rides always made him groggy, and Ilhoon was using the internet. Eunkwang, Minhyuk, and Peniel have begun unpacking some of their stuff in the kitchen. Sungjae was coming down from the stairs which lead up to the bedrooms, already in more comfortable clothes. Meanwhile, Ilsoon jumped up from beside Ilhoon the moment she saw Madeleine come in.

“Have you seen the pool? It’s so clear! And the beach is awesome. Let's go!” she squealed in English and immediately looped and arm around her friend to lead her away, probably to check out the backyard, which left the boys to do all the unpacking.

“Where are uncle and auntie?” asked Hyunsik.

“They said they’d be using the cottage next door,” replied Ilhoon without looking up from his laptop.

“Eunkwang hyung, how about we go out for barbecue tonight? There seems to be a grill in here,” suggested Sungjae. He opened the box where the grill had been packed.

Eunkwang thought it over as he put various containers on the kitchen counter. “Sure, we could do that. Minhyuk and I could go buy some meat. I’ll tell uncle later.”

“Uh, no, not me. I want to get some shut eye first, after unpacking a bit,” Minhyuk cut in.

Eunkwang grumbled. “Peniel? How about you?”

The America-raised kid looked at Eunkwang apologetically. “I wanna rest for a bit too, hyung. I’ll help you some other time.”

“I’ll go with you, then,” said Hyunsik with a playful smile. “Just buy me jjajangmyeon on the way home, neh?”

“That’s basically the reason why I didn’t want to ask you,” Eunkwang muttered.

Hyunsik laughed. “Oh come on, you know you need me… unless you want to haul the grocery bags all by yourself, that is.”

“Alright, alright, I get it. Just cut me some slack with the jjajangmyeon. How does ice cream sound?”

And thus their island vacation began.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-