Break Time

Equivalent Exchange

Jung Min and Hyung Jun had been together for a little over a year now and just had a baby girl named Eungi.  She was only a few days old and they were coming home from the hospital.  As expected both were bursting with joy to see her and hold her in their arms.  She was sweet and adorable and Jung Min just couldn't let her go for the life of him while Hyung Jun drove them home.

A few days later, as common between them, they began to bicker.  This time, it was about Eungi, how Jung Min practically never gave her up for a chance to hold her himself.  Hyung Jun glared at Jung Min and held his arms out, "let me hold Eungi.. please."  Jung Min shrugged and finally handed her over to Hyung Jun slowly and reluctantly.  Once she was in Hyung Jun's arms though, she began to cry.  Hyung Jun pouted and began to try and calm her down.  "See she likes me more, give her back."

Hyung Jun pouted, the fact that Eungi was holding her hands back out to Jung Min didn't help.  Once Jung Min took Eungi back from Hyung Jun's arms she quieted down again, causing Hyung Jun's heart to drop.  "See she likes it much better here in my arms," Jung Min was now speaking absent mindedly, "of course you like me more, I don't have big scary arms."

Hyung Jun glared at Jung Min, "fine I guess I'll just have to wake up in the middle of the night to hold her. I'm leaving right now." He was just being sad, normally Jung Min would have caught onto this and been upset and not let Hyung Jun go without practically crying himself, but he was immersed in holding Eungi.

Hyung Jun sighed and went out the door with a huff, taking his keys with him since he wanted to go for a drive and cool off his head.  He hopped into the car and drove off, his phone sitting on the other seat.

Jung Min hadn't even noticed Hyung Jun had left until Eungi was crying for food.  Jung Min called out to Hyung Jun to get milk, but was returned with no reply.  Jung Min huffed and got up from where he was sitting, "yah Hyung Jun! Your daughter needs food, where are you." He walked to the kitchen to see if Hyung Jun had perhaps been already attending to it, but it was empty.

Hyung Jun's phone began to ring on the passenger seat, oblivious to him because of how hard it is to hear at the speed he was going.  He had went to the highway where he could drive fast and clear his thoughts.  Jung Min was on the other side of the phone mentally kicking himself.  He had made a promise before Eungi was born that he wouldn't say that she liked one of them more than the other.  So he knew Hyung Jun had to be upset at this point.

Jung Min held Eungi in his arms while she cried for milk and awkwardly made the efforts to keep calling Hyung Jun while preparing the bottle of milk.  He wanted his husband back, to let him hold Eungi and be the loving father he knew that Hyung Jun could be.  He was practically to tears when Hyung Jun still hadn't answered the phone, 'had he made him that mad?'

Hyung Jun was still driving, ending up deciding to go find a little food to take home before he head back home.  He was now at a stop light when the phone went off again, finally hearing it.  He looked over to the phone and opened the number to see exactly who he expected was calling him.  He wasn't ready to talk to Jung Min quite yet however, so he pressed the ignore button.

Jung Min could tell from how many times he had called by then that Hyung Jun had just hit the ignore button.  By now, he had placed Eungi in her carrier and was feeding her.  Jung Min practically yelled at the phone, almost throwing it before he resisted the urge and began to break down crying.  He hated when Hyung Jun left, it made him feel so lonely and upset with himself for seriously hurting Hyung Jun's feelings.  He would have gone to curl up on the couch if feeding Eungi wasn't so important at that moment.

He decided he would try one more time before giving up.  He pressed the button to call Hyung Jun for maybe the tenth time and waited.  Hyung Jun was just about to get on the highway when he got the call again, he smiled sweetly and picked the phone up, "yobosaeyo?"  Jung Min sniffed and composed himself for a second, "when are you coming home? Eungi needs her appa... and umma needs him too." Hyung Jun could tell that was Jung Min's way of apologizing. "Eung I will be home soon, I bought some --"

Suddenly -- a car crashed into the side of Hyung Jun's vehicle, screeching tires filled the air.  The phone flew from Hyung Jun's hand,  his body being thrashed around in its place, the car flipped, it was hit a second time, his head flung forward, bashing into the steering wheel before being thrown back against the head rest before he was completely knocked unconscious.

Jung Min could hear everything from the screeching of the wheels to the sounds of metal being crunched.  He was in desperation now. "Hyung Jun!" He screamed into the phone. "Hyung Jun!"  No reply, "HYUNG JUN-AAAAH!!!!" The phone went dead.

Jung Min dropped the bottle into Eungi's lap and fell to the floor.  What had just happened? Is the love of his life dead after they had just got in an argument? It was all his fault that Hyung Jun had gone out and now this happened?  What if it hadn't happened if he hadn't been calling so much? Why hadn't he said sorry?  What if he hadn't answered at all and his last words to him were hurtful words?

Jung Min stared blankly in shock.  Eungi was crying, but Jung Min couldn't hear.  His mind had shut everything out while the sounds of the car crashed repeated over and over in his mind.  He stared blankly, no tears falling from his eyes, he was too shocked to cry.