Are We Friends?

Sunbae-Nim!

 

Please enjoy!  Italicized is Yonghwa POV

Chapter 5: Are We Friends?

            I waited at the front of the building for the CNBLUE members.  Today, I would learn the song that I would be debuting with.  Of course I still needed training, but I had to start memorizing the song lyrics.  I checked my watch.  I had a good fifteen minutes until they were supposed to arrive, so I decided to take a quick jog around the building.

            “Already warming up?” Yonghwa asked when I came back to the front of the building.

            “Just taking a jog,” I said while walking up to the four CNBLUE members.  We headed inside to CNBLUE’s practice room.

            “Here,” Yonghwa said while handing me a music score.  “This is your part.  I’d like it if you would play guitar,” he said while he picked up his own guitar.  I nodded and took mine out of its case.

            “From today on we’ll be training for my debut, so please take care of me!” I said while bowing to my four seniors.  Minhyuk chuckled and counted to 3 before beginning to play the intro of the song.

            “Wah, I’m so tired.  It’s such a pretty song,” I said after we practiced for hours on end.  I sat down and set my guitar on a stand.

            “You did well today,” Jungshin said tiredly.  I thanked him.

            “Mmm, you two have to stay after and clean up,” Jonghyun said while pointing to Yonghwa and me.  Yonghwa groaned and I nodded.

            “Eunhye-ah, do you want a bottle of water?” Minhyuk said while wiping his sweat with a towel.

            “Yes please!” I said cheerfully and Minhyuk handed me a bottle of water.  Practice went well, and we were starting to sound pretty good.  The song was more of a ballad or light rock, so I could sing my part easily.  I sang mostly back up along with Minhyuk, but I was given a verse to sing solo.  I had to admit, Yonghwa was pretty good at arranging songs.

            Unfortunately, I couldn’t respect Yonghwa as a person.  He wiped his face of sweat and looked in the mirror to fix his hair.  “Hello, handsome,” he said while winking to himself.  I scoffed.

            “Yeah right,” I muttered under my breath while rolling my eyes.  Jonghyun chuckled lightly and clapped a hand to my shoulder.

            “Good luck with cleaning.  You’re going to need all the luck you can get,” he said while laughing.  Jonghyun left the room to go to the CNBLUE dorm so he could shower right away.  Jungshin and Minhyuk left a few minutes later.

            “Call if you need anything, hyung,” Minhyuk said to Yonghwa.  Minhyuk walked up to me and murmured, “You too, okay?”  I nodded and rolled up my sleeves so I could start cleaning.  I began to throw away the stockpile of garbage in “THE CORNER.”  CNBLUE was a pretty easy band to get along with.  Sure, I didn’t like Yonghwa all the time, but the four of them were pretty friendly.  Scratch that out, they TRIED to be friendly.

            “I’ll be right back; I’m just going to get the big trashcan,” Yonghwa said.  I sighed in relief.  I wasn’t sure if he was actually going to help me clean.  I nodded as he left the room.  I began to hum as I placed as much garbage I could into the plastic bag.  A soft humming joined in with mine.  It took me a few seconds to notice.  I turned to look at the doorway, and I found Yonghwa holding a giant trashcan.  “Sorry!  I didn’t mean to disturb you,” he said while shuffling into the room.  He took the trash bag from my hands and placed it into the big trashcan while I gawked at him noiselessly.

            “Erm, it’s fine,” I said after I regained my composure.  Yonghwa held the trashcan as I placed the garbage inside.

            “Uh, you did a good job today.  Better than I expected,” he said awkwardly.  Although I had started to despise him, I had manners so I thanked him.

            “Thanks, it’s a really nice song,” I said.  I had thrown enough garbage that I could see some shiny objects sitting in the pile.

            “Hey, I thought I lost these!” Yonghwa said while picking up a pair of sunglasses.  I chuckled.  Yonghwa was a lot more amiable in private.  He wiped some of the dust off and placed the sunglasses on his face.  “Do I look good?” he joked while posing.  I laughed.  Why couldn’t Yonghwa be like this in public?  Why did he have to try to look cool?  If he would just be himself, then I could be friends with him.  I felt a light poke on my forehead.

            “Knock knock, is there anyone home?” Yonghwa asked.  I must have spaced out.  I blushed and began to clean embarrassedly.

            “Yah, let’s get this done as quickly as possible!” I shouted while digging in the pile for more objects that the CNBLUE members thought they lost.  I felt something soft brush against my neck, so I turned around.  Yonghwa froze, but then hurriedly explained himself.

            “Your hair was falling onto your face,” he stammered.  I blushed and continued to clean in the awkward atmosphere.  “Um, for whatever I did, I’m sorry,” Yonghwa said awkwardly.  I turned to look at him.

            “You acted like we never met,” I said while resuming my task of cleaning up the pile of junk.

            “Was that it?” he sighed.  I picked up a trophy that was in the pile and placed it on a shelf.  Yonghwa followed behind me and placed a hand on my shoulder.  “I didn’t want you to have to live up to being ‘Yonghwa’s protégé.’  Everyone would treat you differently.  Only manager-nim knows that I recommended you for FNC,” he said sincerely.  I felt my eyes water slightly.  He had good intentions, but I kept on denying that he was a good person.

            “I’m the one who should be sorry.  I was unreasonable,” I said while shaking his hand off my shoulder.  The pile was almost completely gone, so I began to sweep the rest of the junk into a dustpan.

            “Since we’re about done, why don’t we play a song to make up?” Yonghwa suggested as he hauled the garbage can outside.  I nodded and sat at the piano.  Yonghwa picked up his guitar and began to play a familiar tune.

 

Maybe by Sunye (OST Dream High)

 

My cold heart....suddenly a little bit

seems melted when you come to me

And then secretly ..you filled my heart

 

From one day, at the way back home

While thinking of you, that my appearance

when I saw, I realize you're already in my heart

 

            I had joined in playing piano and closed my eyes while listening to Yonghwa sing.  I fought against my emotions and began to sing along.

 

Maybe you're the one

Maybe, perhaps

Perhaps, you

I'm waiting.. it would be half

Maybe it is true

Always, very

Closed each other, So I didn't know

Baby I'm in love with you

 

            Yonghwa seemed like he was having fun.  I glanced at him while he sang with his eyes closed.  I swayed back and forth with the rhythm.

 

At first I didn't know...I'd be like that

I'd be thinking of you, I'd be loving you

Your heart too, please...be same with my heart like this

 

Maybe you're the one

Maybe, perhaps

Perhaps, you

I'm waiting.. it would be half

Maybe it is true

Always, very

Closed each other, So I didn't know

Baby I'm in love with you

 

I have gotten too late

Right now, accept my heart that realize

I knew it's too late, I knew it's now but

This heart ..will be never swayed

 

Maybe you're the one

Maybe, perhaps

Perhaps, you

I'm waiting.. it would be half

Maybe it is true

Always, very

Closed each other, So I didn't know

Baby I'm in love with you

 

Baby, I'm in love with you

Baby, I'm in love with you

Baby, I'm in love with you

Baby, I'm in love with you

 

            “That was fun!” Yonghwa exclaimed.  I nodded.  “It’s only around 8, and I don’t really feel like going home yet.  Do you want to stay and practice a little more?”  he asked.  I thought for a moment.

            “Sure,” I said.  Yonghwa chuckled and began to play guitar.

 

            We practiced up until 10 P.M.  “I’ll go get food from the cafeteria,” I told Eunhye.  Today had been a long day, so I might as well buy the newbie dinner.  When I came back to the practice room, I found Eunhye sleeping on the floor.  “Uh oh, you might catch a cold,” I said to the sleeping figure.  I set the hot food onto the table.  I lightly poked Eunhye.  She didn’t move an inch.  I didn’t think she would be waking up anytime soon, considering the way she was sleeping.  She was curled up into a ball and her head was leaning against the wall for support.  “What should I do about this?” I whispered to myself.  I had an idea.  I pulled out a pillow that I always left in the practice room in case I needed to pull an all-nighter.  I lifted up Eunhye’s head as gently as I possibly could and slipped the pillow under.  I took off the coat I was wearing and placed it over her like a blanket.  I scribbled a note on a piece of paper and placed it on Eunhye’s share of the food.  I picked up my food and began to eat it as I walked out of the FNC building.

 

            “Mmmm, what time is it?” I yawned as I rubbed my eyes.  It was pitch black in the room.  I stretched and found that there was a jacket wrapped around me like a blanket.  A small pillow was nestled under my head.  I immediately bolted awake when I realized I was still in CNBLUE’s practice room.  I glanced at my watch.  It was around 2 in the morning.  My stomach growled.  I looked at the table and found a bag of food with a piece of paper stuck in it.

 

Song Eunhye,

You were sleeping so peacefully, I didn’t want to wake you up.  Next time be more careful of where you fall asleep.  I don’t want you to catch a cold.  There’s some kimbap and tea in the bag; help yourself!  I’ll see you tomorrow at practice.

 

-Jung Yonghwa

 

            I chuckled and opened the package of kimbap. I wore Yonghwa’s jacket around my shoulders like a shawl and left for home.

            I crept into my room after taking a shower.  My grandfather would kill me for staying out so late.  Right now, I couldn’t decide if I liked Yonghwa or hated him.  I wanted to hate him, but I couldn’t.  I was just making up excuses to hate him.

            “Jung Yonghwa, you drive me crazy!” I screamed as I threw a teddy bear at the poster of Yonghwa that was hanging on my wall.  I heard footsteps coming near.  “Oops!” I exclaimed while quickly turning the lights off and hopping into bed.

Wow.  So Eunhye's idol was Yonghwa... that explains a lot XD Don't foget to vote on the duo's name!