Chapter 26

Startling By Each Step

 

Chapter 26

 

Kyuhyun waited a few days before visiting Sungmin, just as Hangeng had suggested. He was greeted by a singing Manchu prince and a clapping Mongol one. Vaguely aware that Sungmin had a good singing voice, he was forced his mouth to close as Junsu rushed up to him.

“Kyuhyun! Since Chengmin was telling me that he heard you sing once and fell in love with your voice I made him learn a song to sing for you.” Junsu gushed and Kyuhyun blinked in surprise before narrowing them slightly as he looked at man with a guilty grin.

“What exactly did he tell you?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone anything. I just wanted to know everything so I pried all your stories out of him,” Junsu smiled innocently.

Kyuhyun’s face must have showed his disbelief and Sungmin decided now was the time to rescue him, even though Kyuhyun hadn’t been around to help him escape Junsu. “Your Highness, you told me to sing for Kyuhyun so I did. Since he is here, could you leave us alone to talk?”

“Okay,” Junsu smiled, “I understand that you wouldn’t want me when you finally have some time together. I’ll leave.” He winked as he ducked out of the tent, leaving Kyuhyun to round on Sungmin. Before he had time to speak he was interrupted though.

“I need to thank you.”

Kyuhyun aimed a small smile at the prince, “How long have we known each other? We have been friends for so many years. Why do you need to thank me for something that any friend would do?” He smirked, “Even if I wasn’t there, your men would have found you and saved you, wouldn’t they?”

Sungmin nodded, his face serious as he added, “Maybe not. The Crown Prince’s men were crawling all over the camp. Is Eighth Brother alright? Was anyone suspicious?”

“The Crown Prince visited him that night. You can ask him about it yourself though. You are meeting him.”

“Where?” Sungmin was instantly alert.

“In the forest behind this tent, it is still officially the Mongol camp so you don’t need to leave go need any of our guards. You’ll be safe, especially in your current garb.” Kyuhyun frowned, he didn’t like playing the messenger in this game. It was dangerous but he had said he would and he was committed to getting Sungmin out of the camp undetected. Sungmin was hidden in Junsu’s tent where no one could get to him, Yoochun’s men or Hangeng’s.

“I’ll leave now then. I should be back before Junsu returns. He will be generous with his time and I will be quick.” Sungmin looked concerned as he eyed the younger man. However when he exited he came face to face with the Mongolian who looked confused as to why he was leaving.

Sungmin smiled and decided to make a quick getaway knowing that the prince may ask questions but would never follow him. He heard the prince enter his tent as he walked away and hoped that Kyuhyun would have a reasonable excuse.

“Where is Chengmin going?” Junsu asked upon re-entering the tent not 10 seconds after Sungmin had exited.

“He is leaving in a few days. He wanted to say goodbye to his friends and thank them for looking after me.” Kyuhyun quickly said. “They were also the ones who helped him at first.”

“Ahhh,” Junsu said understandingly, “but this is the first time you’ve had chance to visit. It’s a pity you aren’t spending more time together.”

“It is, but he won’t have another chance to see them and it would be very disrespectful if he didn’t go.”

Junsu nodded before his face brightened. “Can you teach me to sing Chinese opera?”

“I could, but why?” Kyuhyun was startled by the sudden change in mood and direction of conversation.

“Does Min– I mean Thirteenth Prince, like opera?”

“Yes he does. The Thirteenth Prince is well known in the capital for his taste in music. He is especially skilled in the flute and string instruments. His singing voice is strong and powerful.” Their love of music had been one of the things that the two friends had in common. Often they would write funny lyrics for each other for amusement. Playing and singing together was something they had done plenty of times in the past, with Changmin being the one to teach Kyuhyun had to play the instruments that he know knew proficiently.

The piano which Kyuhyun had been skilled at in his previous life in the future wasn’t an option in this time. Changmin had been a lifesaver, reconnecting Kyuhyun with the music of the time and making him fall in love with the style. He would still hum to himself Vivaldi or Ravel, when he knew he was alone he sang the old ballad songs he could vaguely remember the words to that he had once sung for competitions and at school shows. Opera was something he hadn’t paid a lot of attention to when he was in the 21st century but now he had learnt all the most popular of the time and had himself composed a few, one with Changmin’s help.

“I would love to hear him play,” Junsu looked wistfully at the wall of the tent while Kyuhyun examined the younger man more closely. Changmin would be a good match for him in some ways, but he didn’t know whether the innocence would hold the Thirteenth Prince’s attention forever. Changmin already had wives and he also had Qian, Kyuhyun knew that they two princes had become close during the last visit but would it know to love and would that love last? Junsu wouldn’t suit the city at all, yet Kyuhyun knew that Changmin wouldn’t retire to the countryside, he also knew that Junsu wouldn’t cope well when Changmin fell into disfavour in the future. Kyuhyun had no knowledge of who married who, he only knew the vague details from his half-forgotten history lessons and the couple of historical dramas that he had watched set around this period. “Kyuhyun,” Junsu snapped to attention and grabbed Kyuhyun’s hands. This time it was less of a shock. “Tell me which are Min’s favourite pieces. Who does he play for?”

Kyuhyun smiled at hearing the nickname that the Mongolian had given Changmin. “The Thirteenth Prince is very particular about his playing. He never plays in public except when the Emperor has requested it of him. He plays for his own enjoyment.” Kyuhyun thought for a moment about the first request, “He likes to compose his own music but I think Legend of the White Snake is one of his favourite operas.”

“What is that about?” Junsu asked excitedly.

“It’s about a white snake spirit that gains immortality and power due to a boy. She takes the form of a beautiful woman and falls in love with the boy, they marry and have a son. But she is locked in a Leifeng Pagoda by a jealous terrapin spirit. They eventually get her out and the terrapin spirit flees to live in the stomach of a crab.” Kyuhyun’s eyes twinkle as he recounted the story. It was the only Qing opera he already knew when he arrived in the period and he had made Changmin teach him the music and songs when they had learnt of their mutual love of music.

Junsu clapped at the end of the telling. Kyuhyun added, “If both of you are on the expedition next year, I will definitely ask him to perform a tune for you.”

“Really?” Junsu grinned. He then pursed his lips in contemplation, “Do you get along very well with the Thirteenth Prince?”

“We have known each other a long time. We are just like siblings.”

“I envy you the ability to be close to the Thirteenth Prince and live near him in the city.”

“You are close to him as well. He was so relaxed with you when he met you last year. I have never seen him like that before. He even allows you to use a nickname for him.” Junsu started guiltily and looked worried. “I wouldn’t tell anyone. I wouldn’t put that burden on either of you.”

Junsu continued looking sad and withdrawn which was strange compared to his usual bubbling self. “I promise. I’ll definitely make sure that the Thirteenth Prince plays for you personally one day.”

“I really want to be like his wives, able to live in the city and be near him all the time.”

Kyuhyun felt shocked that this boy felt like that. “You would be willing to share your husband with other wives?”

“Why do you ask that?” Junsu looked confused and genuinely curious. “Since ancient times capable men have had many wives. I have resigned myself to having to share a husband. My mother tried to fight against the system for years but he is still one of my father’s many wives. Even if you are the favourite your husband cannot ignore the others.”

“I can’t imagine it. I don’t want that.” Kyuhyun admitted with watery eyes. He would always have to share Hangeng, and that was something he didn’t want to think of. In his time a man had one wife and the loved and respected that person. The partnership was equal but here even Junsu whose Mother wasn’t a standard wife was accepting of the ancient doctrine. “It shouldn’t be this way.”

“Were you not encouraging me to be with Min a moment ago?”

“I didn’t mean it like that.” Kyuhyun felt confused, he had no idea what he meant or what he believed. Being in the time and being surrounded by people trapped in the system he too had changed and become entwined. “I just feel that if two people love each other with all their hearts that would be for the best. If a wife respected and loved their husband surely they should hope to be treated in the same way.”

“I don’t think so deeply about it,” Junsu laughed sadly as Kyuhyun snapped out of his thoughts. “I just believe that if two people in love can be together, anything else is not a concern. What else matters apart from love?”

 

**

 

“Eighth Brother!” Sungmin called out as he ran to the elder.

“You are safe,” Hangeng breathed a sigh of relief he didn’t know he was holding on to.

“Of course I am. Kyuhyun was looking after me,” Sungmin grinned.

“Kyuhyun is too caring, he shouldn’t have rushed to help you. What if he had been caught?” The older brother was concerned over what potentially could have happened that night.

“Nothing happened Ge. We were both fine. Prince Junsu looked after and protected us both.”

“You risked your life to come here with the news, for that I am grateful.”

“We are brothers. I did what needed to be done.” Sungmin didn’t need Hangeng to feel grateful, they were too close for them to be thanking each other.

“Anyway the Crown Prince has given up on searching for the thief. Also our men have reported that the Crown Prince’s men are no longer watching the roads. You must return to the capital now, so that you can avoid being discovered by people in the capital. In would be bad if someone tried to visit you and found you were from home.”

“I am glad to finally go back. Prince Junsu, while kind and generous, is a bit too kind sometimes. I have spent a lot of energy trying to keep up with him, he is always asking questions and demanding stories. I feel like my brain has been drained,” Sungmin complained pitifully causing Hangeng to laugh.

“Oh, Eighth Ge!” Sungmin exclaimed, remembering something that he meant to ask before they were interrupted last time. “About Fourth Brother’s arrangement of the official transfers, have you found a way to resolve it?”

“I know what he is thinking. I will take everything into consideration. You don’t have to worry, I won’t be in Mongolia for much longer. You should just hurry back to the capital before Junsu starts to suspect you.” Hangeng looked into the surrounding darkness, glad they were in the relative protection of the Mongol camp but still careful that there was no one nearby. 

“Eighth Brother, I know Kyuhyun and I are playing a fake couple but Prince Junsu said that Kyuhyun definitely looked like someone in love,” Sungmin asked lightly, the tone teasing.

“You should start calling Kyuhyun brother-in-law.”

“Really? Congratulations Gege!” Sungmin was happy for his brother. Hangeng had been pining over the younger boy since he had entered the palace.

“Alright, go back quickly,” Hangeng smiled shyly while waving his younger brother away.

Sungmin strode quickly through the undergrowth back to the Mongolian Prince’s compound. Kyuhyun who was loitering near the entrance approached him as soon as he saw him.

Sungmin bowed saying, “Greetings Brother-in-law.”

“What did you say?” Kyuhyun blanched at the title.

“I was told I would need to greet you like this soon.” Sungmin waggled his eyebrows before saying, “Eighth Brothers dreams seem to be coming true.”

Kyuhyun didn’t want to talk about this with this particular friend, especially after the talk he had just had with Junsu. “When are you leaving?”

“Tomorrow night,” Sungmin’s mood was still happy and he grinned. “I can finally be rid of this beard and regain my handsome looks!”

“If you want to become handsome again, I suggest you wait until you are back in the capital.” Kyuhyun warned. “Also, stop fabricating stories for Prince Junsu! You might be able to escape but I can’t and what if our stories don’t corroborate. And there will be a day when I can’t tell these lies anymore.” Kyuhyun frowned; he didn’t enjoy lying to his new friend. The Prince was loving and friendly. He deserved a better friend than he was being. “He wants to learn opera off of me now.”

Sungmin was unsympathetic. “You are Death-Seeking Thirteenth’s twin. Do you really fear this?” Kyuhyun raised his fist at the old nickname. “Brother-in-law please spare me,” Sungmin teased as he ducked out of the way and laughingly headed towards Junsu’s tent and safety.

Kyuhyun watched him go, pondering as he too turned back towards his own tent. Once we’re on the path of history, can we seek luck and avoid calamity? But in the end I have still gotten entangled, still joined the path I should have tried to avoid, step by step.

 

**

 

“What are we waiting for?” Junsu asked as he waited in the warm night. Kyuhyun was next to him and Sungmin was holding the reins of one Junsu’s horses. Kyuhyun’s lover had still not left and he was curious as to why. The moon was high in the sky and the night was clear, though clouds would maybe have been useful to block Chengmin from anyone else’s sight.

“Your Highness, you will find out soon,” Kyuhyun him. He jumped as he noticed the Eighth Prince moved out of the shadows confidently.

Kyuhyun grabbed Junsu’s hand as the boy rushed to hide Sungmin. “Don’t worry Your Highness, the Eighth Prince knows about us.”

“Bei’le,” Sungmin bowed for the Mongolian’s benefit.

“You must be very important,” Junsu smiled. “You have both me and the Eighth Prince seeing you off!”

“You flatter me, Your Highness,” Sungmin waved off the praise.

“If you are really sincere, you should go back and think of a good way to ask for Kyuhyun’s hand in marriage.” The other three members of the party felt awkward for lying to this open hearted girl. Kyuhyun frowned at the reminder of his betrayal. Junsu continued smiling, “If Kyuhyun is so worried you obviously aren’t thinking hard enough.”

Sungmin coughed nervously before saying, “I shouldn’t waste any more time. I should go. I will always remember what you have done for me, Your Highness.” Sungmin bowed deeply to the Mongolian Prince than bowed once more in goodbye to Hangeng, “Bei’le.”

After the Fourteenth Prince had ridden off, Kyuhyun turned to Junsu. “Your Highness, if I did something wrong one day, would you forgive me? Would you treat me as you do now?” Kyuhyun’s heart was tight as he asked what was bothering him.

“I don’t know,” Junsu replied, his face serious to mirror Kyuhyun’s own. Hangeng watched them both, not in their personal circle but not far enough to not hear. “I have to see what you did first. What kind of things would you do to let me down?”

“Nothing. I just asked randomly,” Kyuhyun tried to smile as Junsu failed to look convinced. “Because you are of a high status, I am afraid that one day I will do something to unknowingly offend you. So I am asking your pardon first.”

Junsu was still worried as he too tried to smile airily. “How can you say that? To think I treat you as a true friend!” Junsu smiled more genuinely, “When someone from the grasslands makes a friend, we don’t change them easily.”

“Thank you Your Highness,” Kyuhyun smiled in return. Junsu had a way to put anyone at ease.

“I’ll leave then,” Junsu ran off in the direction of his camp leaving Kyuhyun and Hangeng behind.

Hangeng moved to pull at Kyuhyun’s hand, drawing it through his arm, “Come and sit in my tent.”

Humming in response Kyuhyun let himself be led away by the Eighth Prince.

“Stand guard, don’t let anyone enter without my permission,” Hangeng order Minseok when they arrived.

Kyuhyun felt the warmth of the brazier and the hint of hazelwood that was Hangeng’s distinctive smell wash over him.

“When we get back to the capital, I will submit my marriage proposal to Imperial Father.”

Kyuhyun didn’t respond but asked, “How long until we return back?”

“We have another 3 weeks before we leave to go back. I plan to teach you how to ride before we return.” Kyuhyun was pleased that the other remembered his sincere wish that he himself had forgotten in the madness of the past week.

“I will get a book for us to read,” Kyuhyun moved away to hide the blush that was making its way onto his face.

Hangeng laughed and stopped him, pulling his chin up so that he could see the blush clearly. However he didn’t mention it, instead pointing out, “When you entered the palace you couldn’t even read poems of the Song Dynasty, but now you’ve even finished reading the Compendium of Medicinal Herbs.  There are not many people who love reading as much as you.” The pride in Hangeng’s voice made Kyuhyun blush harder. “Fortunately there are many books on my estate for you to read.” Kyuhyun started to fiddle with the tassels on the elder’s clock to hide the nerves that infested him.

“It’s because when I have nothing much to do and am bored in the palace, I could only go and read random books. I cannot run around freely as I did on your estate.” Kyuhyun admitted.

“In the future I will not allow you to be bored,” Hangeng spoke sweetly directing Kyuhyun to look at his face rather than his chest once again.

Kyuhyun felt his face was going to burst into flames if Hangeng continued looking at him like that. So he buried his face into the shoulder of the man who was now laughing at him.

 

**

 

The past few weeks had felt a dream to Kyuhyun. He had finally allowed Hangeng to start courting him and the Eighth Prince was enthusiastically running with it. They walked together, talking about nonsense and they read poetry together, they tried different types of tea and treats that Kyuhyun experimentally made. They even tried riding though Kyuhyun was still appalling. They stayed out til the stars were bright and Kyuhyun guessed which stars were which, refusing to listen to Hangeng trying to correct him. Kyuhyun let himself fall asleep in the other’s arms under the stars and wished that he could stay like that forever.

Kyuhyun acted stubbornly and wilfully ignored Hangeng when he tried to talk and the prince thought he was adorable. Kyuhyun let down some of his barriers and started to act more like he would of he was dating in the 21st century. Hangeng didn’t seem to mind that he wasn’t acting like he should have but seemed to love that he acted that way for him.

It was on one of these happy days that a package was sent for the capital, from the Fourth Prince.

“Golden thread bird’s nest.” Kyuhyun blinked in surprise but kept his face straight. He had no idea why he had suddenly been sent this. He hadn’t communicated with the Fourth Prince in months and suddenly he was sending expensive presents. Kyuhyun was shocked. “The climate on the plains is hot and dry. Eating the cool birds nest to increase the yin is a good idea.” Kyuhyun eyed it before saying. “Take it back to the capital.”

“Didn’t Miss say that it would be a good idea?” The eunuch was confused. “Why are you sending it back?”

“I can’t accept it so send it back.” Kyuhyun started to continue pouring himself a cup of tea, ignoring the servant with his hands outstretched.

“But… how will I explain this to the Fourth Prince?”

“Kyuhyun!” Junsu ran into the tent with his usual burst of energy.

“Your Highness, this bird’s nest is for you,” Kyuhyun smiled, grabbing the present and placing it in the surprised Mongolian’s hands.

“Bird’s nest? What’s that?”

“It’s a precious delicacy in the Central Plains.” Kyuhyun smiled while the eunuch looked horrified. “It’s the spit from birds.”

“The spit from birds?!” Junsu looked more horrified than the eunuch as he the package back at the servant. “That sounds disgusting! Quickly take it away!”

Kyuhyun laughed as he told the eunuch, “Looks like you’ll have to take it back.”

“Forget about precious spit and quickly come with me!” Junsu grabbed Kyuhyun and pulled him from the tent leaving the flustered servant behind.

 

**

 

AN

Another update! I’m on a roll!

I went to OGS London – you can read my fanacc here.

Also I have moved again. And I only have internet access when I go to the pub. I love pubs but it’s kinda awkward to be in there so often… I will pop up whenever I get access to the internet either through McD or a café or a pub or whatever…

Love you all <3

Been writing this in random bursts when I have time/energy so if some parts don’t make sense please be nice and tell me ^^