Chapter 26.5

Startling By Each Step

 

Chapter 26.5

 

“Ninth Brother, who would have thought that the flowers would bloom so beautifully,” Eunhyuk enthused to a less excitable Yesung. Yesung looked at his younger brother was a long suffering amusement. Even if they were complete opposites and Yesung would often criticise and admonish the brother who was next in age to him he was glad that Eunhyuk was so unaffected. So many jaded people filled the palace and court that the Tenth Prince’s innocence was a soothing balm to him.

“That’s right.” Yesung agreed.

“Ninth Brother, Tenth Brother!” Sungmin strode towards with them with purpose.

“You’re back! Did you speak with Eighth Brother?” Yesung greeted their youngest brusquely.

“I met him. I told him everything, you can rest assured.” Yesung nodded feeling more at ease than he had since the Imperial tour left.

“Fourteenth Brother, did you see Kyuhyun?” Eunhyuk asked eagerly.

“I met him as well. Of course I met him.” Sungmin grinned smugly.

“How is he?”

“Good. He couldn’t be better.”

“I’m glad. I am always scared that he is going to think some crazy ideas and get into trouble again.” Eunhyuk sighed as he remembered all the scraps the younger had gotten into as they were growing up.

Sungmin failed to warn the elder as Donghae appeared behind him. “How does whether he gets into trouble or not concern you?” Eunhyuk’s Ce’fujin’s eyes were ablaze with anger and indignation.

Yesung looked resigned and unconcerned as the two men started to dart around him. Eunhyuk used him as a shield as his annoyed wife rounded on him. “We were talking! Why were you even listening to us? You never normally listen to me!”

“So I have to listen to you when you complain about me but not listen when you talk about other men,” Donghae ranted. Eunhyuk ducked away and hid behind the bulkier Sungmin. “What are you afraid of?”

“I am not afraid!” Eunhyuk defended as he escaped his wife’s hands once again, and returned to behind Yesung. Yesung cursed loudly before walking off. “Look what you’ve done! You’ve made him angry at me!”

“It was me that made him angry?” Donghae asked indignantly. He looked upset as well as mad when he yelled, “If you still want him so much, why don’t you ask if you can go to plains instead of staying here with me?”

“Who says I want him?” Eunhyuk huffed from behind his Fourteenth Brother. “You’re deliberately making trouble!” The Tenth Prince abandoned his hide out and walked off, angry at the accusation.

“You’re not yearning for him still? You sure act like it,” Donghae screeched as he followed his husband.

“Fourteenth Brother.”

Sungmin stopped laughing and turned around upon hearing a familiar voice. “Fourth Brother.”

“I haven’t seen you visit Mother lately, did you go out of town?” Siwon face was emotionless as he eyed his younger brother.

“Yes. The capital was boring me, so I escaped to the country for a little fun,” Sungmin said in a careless way.

“Imperial Father is coming back soon. Control yourself.” Siwon warned. “Visit Mother when you are free,” he added before nodding and continuing to walk through the gardens. Sungmin snorted softly and questioned how they were brothers.

 

**

 

“Fourteenth Brother would have met with Eighth Brother since he was absent,” Siwon speculated to a sitting Changmin.

“It must’ve been about the movement of officials,” Changmin shrugged, not overtly bothered by the treachery.

“The movement is disadvantageous to Eighth Brother. He would definitely try to stop it if he could.”

“Since the incident with the Crown Prince, Imperial Father has scolded Eighth Brother for allying with officials. Even if he knows there isn’t much he could do.” Changmin fiddled with the tea cup as he considered what was happening. He hated this but he got involved because of duty and because of his loyalty to Siwon.

“Most of the Crown Prince’s people are staying in the capital and in high jobs, we added Lee Sunho to the list. Eighth Prince will surely try and have a few of his people remain in the capital. We shouldn’t dismiss him yet.” Siwon looked seriously at his younger brother.

 

**

 

“My respects to the Fourth Prince,” Lee Sunho bowed when Fourth Prince entered the room. Thirteenth Brother who had been sitting with the Governor also bowed.

“Imperial Father has ordered the document of the official movements be changed,” Siwon jumped straight to the reason why he had summoned his two most trusted advisors.

 “Why would he do that?” Sunho asked. “The names of the officials have already been written. His Majesty is far away, why would he change it now?”

“Maybe someone influenced him,” Changmin smiled wryly.

Siwon nodded, “I’m sure the changes are Eighth Brother’s doing. Also its due to Fourteenth Brother running to give him the news.”

“Fourth Brother, will this movement affect us a lot?”

“No matter how the document was changed, Sunho’s name was the top of the list. This time he has been moved to Inspector-General of Sichuan. It looks like Imperial Father really likes you.” Siwon sat and smiled at his new brother-in-law, “General Lee, it looks like your position at court is secure.”

“Thank you Fourth Prince.” Sunho bowed, “It was because of your advice I went from a novice in Hanglin to my position today.” Sunho paused before saying, “I am also thankful that you married my brother and honoured him by making him your Ce’fujin. You have been married 2 weeks now. I was hoping to be able to see Kibum before I left.”

“He has been settling in well.” Siwon’s smile was small but genuine. “He has been getting along with my Di’fujin. I was surprised that they became friends so quickly.”

“Your Di’fujin is known for her kindness and tolerance.”

“I will send a message for him to expect you.” Siwon waved at Sehun who was standing in the corner.

“I should hurry to do your business, I will come again another day.” Sunho made to bow and leave.

“General Lee, there is no reason for you to rush away. Visit your brother. He will be pleased to see a familiar face, I imagine he is homesick in some way, even though he would never tell me.”

Sunho nodded, pleased with the care his brother was being given. The Fourth Prince was known for his coldness but he had hoped that his brother would be well treated even if he wasn’t loved. It was the best he could hope for.

“You must do well and accomplish something to look good when you report to Imperial Father. He has put great trust in you.”

“I will definitely not disappoint.” Sunho bowed and was greeted by Sehun who was to guide him to his brother’s wing of the Fourth’s estate.

Changmin made to leave as well but paused as a servant ran in.

“Master, the top quality bird’s nest you ordered has arrived.”

“Tell the servants that I will be going to Lady Kwon’s wing to dine and sleep tonight. Let Lady Lee know he may dine with his brother this evening. I will not disturb them.”

“Yes Master. Which fujin’s home should I deliver the bird’s nest to? Should it be sent to Ce’fujin? Or Di’fujin?”

“Send it to the North of the Great Wall.”

Changmin smirked as he left, knowing exactly who was on his brother’s mind.

 

**

 

AN:

 

So this is set in the capital after Sungmin gets back but before Siwon sends the bird’s nest. Does that make sense? Maybe I should have just added the bit with the gift to the next chapter but I wanted to make the other chapter longer. Also I am not counting this as an actual chapter cos if you hadn’t noticed it is ridiculously short.

The next chapter will be posted in the next day or two. Probably tomorrow since I am halfway done writing it and I don’t work on Sundays *yay*

Life is so hectic at Christmas. Why is it expected of people to visit every single one of their relatives and close friends in the few free days you have? I mean I didn’t get a single day of doing absolutely nothing during my holiday. My mum dragged me everywhere (not that I was protesting much – I did want to see my family). I wonder if people ever reach an age where you can deflect your parent’s demands. I don’t think it will happen any time soon for me. Luckily though, now I have nearly 200 miles between us lol

Anyway now I work Mon-Sat and I have to commute (I need a car so badly), but I have internet!!!! *fireworks/cheers/loud clapping* I don’t know how I coped without internet for 3 weeks but I did it. My phone froze every time I tried to get online on it and I was mooching around Costa and Starbucks pretty much every morning on the way to work but I survived.

So going to shut up cos most of you probably gave up reading my AN cos it’s going to be longer than the update soon.

Love you all! I get so excited every time I have a comment so please comment, not that I want to pressure anyone as I am a silent reader sometimes cos believe it or not sometimes I have no idea what to say (shocking isn’t it) kkkkk

 

PS I don’t read these so if I made an idiotic mistake/glaring error – please let me know guys ^_^

 

PPS - I know its a bit late but I wrote some Christmas drabbles - one of them is WonKyu (its not very good but lets overlook that).