Chapter 16

Startling By Each Step

 

The princes gathered once more in Hangeng’s study to discuss the day. It was safer to talk here than at the palace where every wall has an ear. Here all the servants were loyal to their master and if any leaked or spoke of anything they heard they would be punished severely.

Yesung looked at his older brother with thinly veiled concern, “You were too emotional today.”

Still looking upset Eunhyuk asked, “Why do you say that? Eighteenth Brother is ill, we should care.”

“Ninth Brother has a point,” Sungmin spoke up from his place sitting at the table. He wrinkled his nose as he looked at Eunhyuk. “Eighth Brother has to be careful as interim head. If he makes even the slightest mistake, the Crown Prince and his men will use it against him.” He pulled a slight face in displeasure. “It is unclear whether Eighth Brother made the right decision from a non-emotional standpoint.”

“Today those advisors who are loyal to the Crown Prince tried to challenge your authority,” Yesung pointed out. “They seemed obedient but they kept arguing.”

Hangeng let his brothers talk while he organised matters in his head. “I did not act solely with my emotions today.” They all turned and looked at him where he was seated at the head of the table. “It was to restrain the Crown Prince that I decided on this path. Imperial Father values family above all else so sending for him to return would be what he would want. I asked for Minister Mun to accompany me when I went to see Eighteenth Brother so that he could see him. I knew that Minister Mun would agree with my decision based on his expression when we saw Eighteenth Brother.” At his explanation confusion cleared from his brother’s faces.

Sungmin even grinned as he spoke, “Minister Mun is powerful in court. When he supported your decision, no one dared disagree.”

“It will be easier to do things with the Minister’s support,” Yesung agreed, his face slightly brighter, though only noticeable if you knew him well.

Hangeng added, “In the future as well.” Yesung smirked at Sungmin, both knowing what their eldest brother meant by that statement.

Eunhyuk however remained confused, “Why are we talking about the future?” Sungmin laughed for the first time that day at his elder brother’s perplexed face. Though they never spoke of it allowed, they all knew why they were trying to gain control of the court. The reason they all met and made deals and forged alliances; they were aiming for the throne.

*

Kyuhyun was waiting on the Emperor when a servant rushed into the tent. He bowed and informed them that a messenger had just arrived with an urgent message for the Emperor. Kangin who was in a good mood became serious at the nervous voice of the eunuch. “Bring it to me.” The cotton bound missive was unwrapped by Leeteuk before the letter was placed in the monarch’s hand. Kyuhyun watched as Kangin paled, his lips pursing, before he barked out, “Inform everybody that the Eighteenth Prince is gravely ill. We leave in 3 days. Inform Lord Yunho that I would like to talk to him. Have news sent to me daily from the capital.”

Kyuhyun saddened at seeing his master so worried for his young child. He knew what would happen, this was a tipping point. This was where everything started, before this Yoochun, the Crown Prince, was the golden boy, after this event, Yoochun would be tainted, weakened. The only thing Kyuhyun would be able to do during this time would be as loyal as possible and work even harder for a man who had been kind and generous with him, a man who would soon suffer one of the most upsetting periods of his life.

*

Kyuhyun hurried through the camp directing the workers on the packing of the tea supplies as well as the furniture. He was also helping Leeteuk with supervising the packing of the Emperor’s personal effects. The more senior servant had much to organise and oversee with the whole camp suddenly buzzing as everyone had 3 days to settle everything and pack as much as they could. Some workers would stay behind with heavier belongings that would be too burdensome to travel fast with. He was fielding off questions by lower servants though many didn’t approach him due to his intimidating glare. Kyuhyun was a force to be reckoned with and no one wanted to get on his bad side. He was well known for being the brother-in-law of the Eighth Prince and having a good relationship with several others. Not many servants could say that they were known by the Imperial family, even when they served the Emperor personally.

“Kyuhyun?”

Hearing a voice that he had never heard before call his name caused Kyuhyun to spin in surprise and look at the person who was approaching him.

“You’re Kyuhyun?” Junsu asked with a smile. When he was rewarded with a bemused nod he beamed in delight. “Min has mentioned that you are a good friend of his.” The prince answered the other boy’s unspoken question. “Do you happen to know where he is? I’ve looked all over the camp.”

Kyuhyun looked at the prince in confusion at being addressed so warmly. The informal nature of this Mongolian prince was so different to the stiffness that all the royalty of the imperial family in the capital had. Also, he had never heard anyone address the Thirteenth Prince as Changmin, so to hear someone who had only known Changmin a few weeks casually call him Min was disconcerting. “I’m afraid I don’t, your Highness.”

Junsu’s face fell as when he heard this. He had wanted to see Changmin before they left. He and his father were leaving early the next morning to return to Mongolia. Changmin, the Emperor and the rest of the camp would be leaving for Beijing the day after and Junsu had no idea when he’d ever see the other prince again. He hoped that Changmin would accompany the Emperor on the trip to Mongolia within the next year or two but he had no idea whether he actually would. Junsu would admit that he had come to admire the other man greatly from the first moment he had met him. He didn’t want the other prince to forget him though he was unsure as to how Changmin felt about him in return. “I just wanted to see him before I left. I’m afraid he’ll forget me when he returns to the capital.” Junsu sighed as he admitted his fear to the kind looking boy. They looked to be the same age and Junsu hated formalities. He was an open book and never hid what he was thinking or feeling, something his parents had warned him about many times.

Feeling pity at the honest prince who seemed genuinely worried, “The Thirteenth Prince,” Kyuhyun thought before he spoke, “He rarely forgets people and he would definitely remember you.” Kyuhyun didn’t want to say more because he was unsure himself what exactly the relationship between the two princes was but he wanted to assure the nervous boy in front of him. “As to where you can find him, I suggest you look for an open plain and a beautiful view.”

Junsu clutched those words; Changmin wouldn’t forget him, one of his friends had said so. He also now knew where to look for the other, though if he had thought about it he could have worked it out himself. He was just feeling slightly frantic at the thought of not seeing Changmin again for at least a year. “Thank you,” Junsu grinned and ran off, heading out of the camp. Kyuhyun watched him leave and hoped that Junsu would distract Changmin from worrying over Luhan. A dark sombre atmosphere had settled over the camp and the Emperor was gruff and impatient. No one was laughing or smiling much, the dark mood of the imperial family affecting all their attendants.

The young prince headed for the small hillock that was situated just beyond a group of trees at the back of the camp. No one ever went there and it was secluded. He and Changmin had discovered it when they had been walking around the camp a couple of days before, he guessed that the other prince would have gone there if he was looking for a private place to think. He spotted Changmin exactly where he thought he would; leaning against a tree and looking out across the grasslands that he could see more clearly from his elevated perch. Approaching Changmin from the side, he called his name to attract his attention and to prevent him from getting a too much of a shock.

Changmin looked up in surprise at hearing his name casually called and knew immediately who it was before he even saw the smaller boy near him. Getting up he smiled slightly because he couldn’t stop himself when he was in Junsu’s presence but he was still unable to be completely free of the sadness when he thought of his precocious younger brother. Luhan was so bright and if he had been one of the older princes, Changmin imagined he’d easily be one of the challengers for Yoochun’s position. He was loved by everyone. “I’m not in the mood for company today Su,” he told the eager looking boy.

“It’s okay; I don’t mind sitting here with you. You shouldn’t be alone with your thoughts. I think you’d brood too much.” Junsu had sympathetic eyes as he tried to bring a smile to the others face with his light teasing. Changmin looked at the younger prince with sad eyes as he tried to work out what exactly he felt for the other and what it could lead to. They had vastly different lives and yet Changmin loved the lightness he felt when he was with the other boy. He would worry about the future another time; he already had complicated affections for another, he didn’t need another doomed love.

Before he had a chance to word a response he heard another person approach calling his name. This one familiar and sounding intoxicated. “Thirteenth Brother, Thirteenth Brother! I’ve been looking for you.” Yoochun slurred the words slightly as he rounded the knoll and spotted his younger sibling; he had probably been tipped off as to his brother’s location by one of the guards who patrolled the area around the camp.

Changmin looked at Junsu in apprehension as he went to meet the Crown Prince, followed closely by the Mongolian boy. “Come and drink with me, Thirteenth Prince,” Yoochun’s voice was already garbled and he swayed slightly as he stopped before the other two.

“I think you’ve already drunk enough, Crown Prince.” Changmin’s voice was tight as he viewed the other in displeasure. Everyone was stressed with worry and too much work, while the Crown Prince was drunk in the middle of the day. Changmin wondered occasionally why exactly he and Siwon spent so much time cleaning up Yoochun’s messes when he just went and made more. The Crown Prince had no care for others and just expected his supporters to stick around when he embarrassed himself and them. The only reason he had so much support was because the Emperor had made clear time and time again that Yoochun was his successor, no matter what he had done.

“Do you not want to drink with me?” Yoochun narrowed his eyes in annoyance. Noticing the tenseness of his brother, he eyed Junsu instead, “Come drink with me Prince Junsu.” His voice was more commanding, and he let his eyes rake the foreign prince up and down.

“I won’t go!” Junsu bit out, surprising both Changmin and Yoochun, one worried, the other getting angry. “Everyone is worried about the Eighteenth Prince. Why are you drinking at a time like this? Do you not care?”

“You will drink with me,” Yoochun’s eyes flashed at the accusation in the boy’s voice. To be talked to like that was demeaning as well as being refused his request. He wouldn’t allow some low prince to say no to him.

As he moved forward Changmin placed himself between his brother and his friend. “Crown Prince, leave him.” Changmin couldn’t allow Yoochun to take Junsu away. For one thing it wasn’t what the younger boy wanted, and another, even if Yoochun was more senior, he couldn’t bully a prince of their ally. If the Mongolians heard that the Crown Prince was pushing one of their princes around they would be offended, the Emperor would be embarrassed and the Crown Prince would get in trouble. He had to prevent Yoochun causing problems, and also protect Junsu from the lecherous hands of his older brother which were worse when he was inebriated.

“Why are you in the way?” Yoochun was incredulous at his younger brothers blocking. “He’s just some minor prince. He doesn’t matter to anyone.” Junsu flushed and felt anger bubble within him. The Mongolians were a proud people who paid tribute yearly to the Qing Empire, they may not be truly independent but that didn’t mean they were nothing; they protected the Northern border of the Empire.

“Allow me to be presumptuous. I have already made arrangements with the prince.” Changmin spoke carefully, keeping his face neutral to prevent aggravating the Crown Prince further. “Let’s go.” He grabbed Junsu’s hand, tugging him to leave with him before the older man said anymore.

After nearing the Mongolian camp Changmin released the other’s hand, both noticed the coldness against their skin more after the loss of the others warmth. “I should leave you now. Your father must be looking for you,” Changmin said.

“Thank you for intervening with that stupid man,” Junsu insulted the Crown Prince lightly, causing Changmin to laugh.

“You’ve certainly distracted me from my thoughts,” Changmin added, watching Junsu flush under his gaze.

“I am jealous of Kyuhyun,” Junsu confessed to Changmin, his eyes becoming more serious which Changmin tried to ignore, feigning ignorance.

“Why?”

“Because he gets to return to the capital with you. And because you and he are so close. You mention him a lot.” Junsu was uncertain as to why he said that but he never hid his thoughts and feelings, so he wanted to air them to Changmin rather than anyone else. He wanted to know the relationship between Changmin and Kyuhyun.

“We are friends, the kind that can drink and talk until the dawn with still more to speak of. We are brothers more than anything. I trust him explicitly.” Changmin spoke firmly, not wanting Junsu to misunderstand, also because he really did believe what he said; Kyuhyun was someone he would trust with his life.

“I want you to think of me like that,” Junsu uttered, focusing more on the trusting and the unbreakable bond between the two other’s rather than the brotherly aspect.

“Next time we meet, we can drink together,” Changmin smiled and poked Junsu’s forehead trying to change Junsu’s pouting face. “I really should go.” The older looked around before letting his eyes settle back on the sad looking boy. “Goodbye Su. We’ll meet again.”

“You promise?”

“Promise.”

“Goodbye Min.” Junsu smiled brightly this time to hide his hurting heart as he watched the older prince walk away from the edge of the Mongol camp and back towards the hustle of the Manchurian camp.

*

Yoochun was bored. Everyone was rushing around and he had nothing to do and no one to play with. He stomped through the camp, glowering at any who came near him. He spotted something that caused him to grin in delight; a horse which he had never seen before, it’s stance and coat showed it was an exceptional breed. It had two servants tending to it indicating that it was one of the Emperors personal horses. Yoochun wondered why he had never seen this stallion before. Walking up to the horse he started to examine it more thoroughly and decided this was definitely one of the most beautiful beasts he had ever seen. “Riding on this horse will relieve my boredom. I bet it is magnificent to ride.”

A servant that was holding the reins started at hearing the prince say that, stepping between the Crown Prince and the horse. “Your Highness, this is a tribute from the Mongolian King to the Emperor. You cannot ride it.” His nervousness at standing up to the Crown Prince especially when he was glaring daggers caught the interest of the First Prince who had noticed the Crown Prince examining the horse.

“What do you mean, I cannot ride it?” Yoochun was offended and annoyed at the servant. People kept on getting in the way today when all he wanted was something to relieve his boredom. First Changmin getting in the way with the pretty Mongolian prince and now this servant telling him he can’t ride this horse. He was the Crown Prince, the future Emperor and yet people kept telling him no! “Can I, the Crown Prince, not ride the gifts for the Imperial Emperor?”

“If the Crown Prince wants something why can he not have it?” The First Prince, the eldest of the Emperor’s sons spoke from behind Yoochun making him start in shock. Heejoon looked at his younger brother and smiled in encouragement.

“I’m afraid that the Emperor will punish me if I allow you to use this horse,” the servant fumbled over his words when faced with the Crown Prince as well as the eldest of the princes.

“You know how important the Crown Prince is to the Emperor. Offending the Crown Prince is the same as offending the Emperor.” Heejoon berated the servant while internally hoping his younger sibling was stupid enough to get on that horse.

“It’s true. How can the Emperor get mad at me? I will ride today.” Yoochun was bolstered by his older brother’s encouragement and pushed the servant aside before mounting the horse. He rode off not paying attention to the smug look that settled on the First Prince’s face.

Heejoon called his brother a fool in his head. That the Crown Prince thought he was so untouchable would be his downfall. He was a proud and overly spoilt man; pampered just because he was the son of the woman the Emperor had loved above all others. Heejoon was the oldest yet he had been overlooked by his father ever since he was a young child due to Yoochun. He would do anything to show the world how unfit the other prince was to be Emperor. Even if he never became Emperor himself, he would be happy just to see Yoochun stripped of his title and shunned by those who have up to him since they were children.

All he had to do now was let his father know what Yoochun was doing. He smirked as he walked off toward the imperial audience tent.

*

“How dare you disrespect both myself and Lord Yunho by riding the imperial horse? You show disrespect to their people. If I do not punish you severely how do I satisfy their anger?” Kangin thundered from his throne. The Crown Prince was on his tents before him as the rest of the princes and officials stood at the side. Yunho was seated on a smaller throne to the Emperor’s side, indicating his importance as an ally of the Qing Empire, even if he was a lesser power.

“I do not think he meant any harm.” Yunho tried to dampen the anger which radiated from the fuming Emperor. “I think he just wanted some fun. He was most probably bored.”

“Bored? Fun? The Eighteenth Prince is on his sick bed and the Crown Prince is running around looking for fun?” Kangin sneered.

Kyuhyun stood at Leeteuk’s side behind the throne. Both of them had struggled to get Kangin to eat and sleep over the past 2 days since the news had been sent from the capital of the young prince’s illness. Kangin had been anxious to leave as quickly as possible, his apprehension about his son’s condition causing him to be more highly strung. The news of the Crown Prince’s behaviour had made him snap. Normally he would be more sympathetic of any mistake Yoochun made but this was unacceptable in his eyes.

“To show such little care for your own brother is even more of a crime.” Kangin continued fiercely as Yoochun flinched.

“I will not pursue this matter because of the Eighteenth Prince’s illness,” Yunho spoke. The Lord of Mongolian knew how the Crown Prince behaved but would never criticise him due to his position as the next Emperor. He also knew that now was not the time to be offended, the Emperor, who he had been close to for many years was distraught over Luhan’s illness. He knew that if one of his children was at death’s door, he would not want to deal with another child’s foolishness. Yunho looked at Yoochun in displeasure however who was he to decide who the next Emperor should be? He just hoped that if Yoochun took the throne he would mature and become worthy of the Empire that Kangin had built for him to inherit.

Kangin was not content with Yunho’s forgiveness. The way Yoochun had behaved was unacceptable. “Even if you don’t pursue this, I cannot pretend that this did not happen. This time, I have no choice but to punish you severely.” Kangin spoke harshly at his favourite child; someone who he had allowed to escape punishment time and again. This time though, Yoochun had pushed his father too far.

*

Later that night Yoochun burst into Heejoon’s tent, with Siwon attached to his arm trying to drag him back without much success. Heejoon had been expecting this, after all, he was the one to encourage his brother and Yoochun was never wise enough to let things lie. Siwon was looking ruffled which was unusual since the Fourth Prince was always composed and spent his time trying to fix any damage the Crown Prince caused. Unfortunately this time he had been unable to fix this because it involved the Mongolians who Siwon would be unable to sweet talk or intimidate into forgetting this and not telling the Emperor.

“First Brother, the Crown Prince has drunk too much,” Siwon told the eldest. He tried to excuse the words that everyone knew would soon flow from the inebriated prince’s mouth.

“This is none of your concern Fourth Brother,” Yoochun slurred at his younger brother. He had been drinking since the early morning though he had sobered when he had been on his knees before their father. “It is because of you that I rode the tribute horse!” He pointed his cup at Heejoon, making the elder sneer. “You have an evil heart to do that to your own brother. You have always schemed to undermine me and steal the title of Crown Prince!”

“Crown Prince!” Siwon tried to stop Yoochun’s shouting.

“Admit it!”

“Crown Prince!” Siwon tried again, grabbing the elder’s arm, hoping that he could drag the other away before he caused another scene which could attract their father’s attention.

“I wouldn’t dare think of taking your title. It is Imperial Father’s decision who will be his heir.” Heejoon spoke bitterly though honestly. “Even if I would be a more suitable choice.”

His words made Siwon tense as Yoochun became more frenzied, “You admit then!”

“Age increases superiority.” Heejoon continued. “I am the oldest; I should have been the Crown Prince.”

“Gege, please stop.” Siwon pleaded as he saw nothing good come from where this conversation was going.

“I am only saying the truth. He is not better than any of us. Intelligence, ability, personality, none of which he bests any of us. It is only because his mother was the Empress that he is favoured, otherwise he would be just another prince.” Heejoon spat the poison filled words at his younger brother, watching in glee as Yoochun became incensed. “How is he suitable to be the Crown Prince?”

“I am the son of the Empress!” Yoochun exploded at the other two. “Even if I am deposed, no one can replace me!”

“Deposition will be here soon,” Heejoon goaded.

“Gege calm down,” Siwon begged Yoochun as he prevented the other from lunging at the eldest.

“You think the Emperor won’t find out about you using the imperial taxes who personal use? Bribing of officials? You think that the amount of crimes you have committed won’t be uncovered? And that Imperial Father won’t find out about you messing around with the imperial concubines?” Heejoon ruthlessly laid out some of the Crown Prince’s misdemeanours.

“First Brother!” Siwon cautioned. Too speak aloud these things was dangerous. If someone heard and this got back to the Emperor they could all be in trouble.

“You all want me gone! You all want to replace me!” Yoochun’s eyes were wild as he looked at both Heejoon and Siwon. “You all want to be Crown Prince!” He pointed at both his brothers in accusation before turning and leaving the tent.

Yoochun stormed out and found himself heading towards the imperial tent. He needed to see the Emperor and assure himself that he was still in his father’s good graces. The words that his elder brother had spoken to him had rattled him more than he would admit. He knew that the reason why Kangin showered him with love was because of his mother. He was superior by birth but in no other way. As he approached the tent he was stopped by his father’s guard. “I need to see the Emperor,” Yoochun spoke sternly as he moved to go past.

“I’m sorry,” the guard bowed. “The Emperor said no one was to be admitted.”

“Fine.” Yoochun glared at the guard before deciding he needed to know what was going on his father’s mind even if he wasn’t allowed to see him. He shushed the guard before creeping nearer the tent to have a look inside. The guard seemed torn as to what to do. He could hardly arrest and apprehend the Crown Prince, but he shouldn’t let the Crown Prince sneak around the imperial tent.

Inside Kyuhyun served the Emperor tea and a snack. He hoped to tempt Kangin into eating something. Kyuhyun was in charge of the Emperor’s diet in the most part and the lack of food the monarch had eaten in the last two days was stressing the servant. When he had started to serve the Emperor he hadn’t been so bothered but after time spent with Kangin he was now a loyal and concerned server. Looking up he couldn’t stop his shout when he saw someone peeking through the window at the side of the tent. “Who’s that?”

“Stop them!” Leeteuk called when he saw the shadow run off.

Kangin along with his servants froze when Yoochun was the person who was hauled before him. “What were you doing? Why were you acting suspiciously outside?” Kangin was bewildered by the turn of events.

“Imperial Father, you aren’t going to cut me out are you?” Yoochun still had a crazy and fevered look, the alcohol thrumming through him.

“Eunuch Leeteuk,” Kangin refused to look at his son as he sent a silent instruction to his most trusted man.

“Imperial Father, I am the Crown Prince!” Yoochun continued, pushing aside the guards that had moved to him out of the tent. “I am the Crown Prince! Your Crown Prince!” He rushed to his father, grabbing and pulling at his hands.

“Be quiet!” Kangin raised his eyes, outraged at the audacity of his son to yell at him.

“I am the Crown Prince you personally titled! I am the Crown Prince you raised!” He had started to knock over the piles of missives and the lamp that was seated on the table in from of the Emperor. His movements clumsy as he clutched his father.

“Leave me,” Kangin hissed.

“You cannot take this title from me! You gave it to me! It’s mine!” Yoochun raged.

“Drag him out of here.” Kangin ordered; his face furious and upset at the embarrassing show his son had given him.

“I am the Crown Prince! Imperial Father, I am the future master of the Qing Dynasty!” Yoochun continued to yell as he was hauled by two guards out of his father’s sight.

“Leeteuk.”

“Yes master,” Leeteuk looked on sadly as his master seemed to break in front of him.

“Give the order that the Crown Prince is not allowed near my tent under any circumstances unless ordered otherwise by me.”

“Yes master,” Leeteuk bowed before hurrying out of the tent to order the guards and to make sure the Crown Prince was secure with his own servants.

“If I remember correctly, it is nearly the date in which the Crown Prince will be stripped of his title,” Kyuhyun thought to himself as he looked at his torn Emperor who he wished he could help more.

*

A/N: I will have more free time because it’s the summer *yay* so I should be more organised from now on (I probably won’t be). I am going job hunting or I will be volunteering or I will be helping out my family (all of which I am really looking forward to…) but I have a couple of weeks of freedom before that!

Also this is once again unbetaed because I once again only just finished this. I haven’t even skimmed this so if I made a huge continuity error or mistake or something just plain weird happens please tell me because its 2.50am and I have ran out of coffee T^T

Love you all *hugs* I am surprised with how many people read this - blows my mind (*bedebebebe* Cos I’m Mr. Simple).

Lack of sleep has made me crazy. Also I am posting this later than I normally do. It's Sunday somewhere in the world so I'm okay *reassures self*