Chapter 19

Startling By Each Step

This is a double update!!! Make sure you have read chapter 18 first!

 

 

Chapter 19:

Kyuhyun slowly walked to his room thinking about everything that could go wrong. Ryeowook greeted him as he approached the tea quarters.

“I have fermented rice balls!” Ryeowook called as he held up a basket.

“Really?” Kyuhyun perked up slightly at the mention of his favourite food. It might be partly put on because he knew that Ryeowook must have specially gotten them for him.

They entered the warmed room and opened the basket. Kyuhyun lifted the lid of the bowl to look at the rice balls. “They are sesame rice balls.”

“What?!” Ryeowook redden in anger. “Kang Jungwoo! He always does what he pleases. I told him to make fermented rice balls. I’m going to find him!” Ryeowook turned to go and scold the kitchen helper.

“It’s fine,” Kyuhyun called out to the maddened boy.

“No it isn’t! If I don’t tell him how will he know? He always does what he wants. He will get into serious trouble one day.”

“Even if you remind him he will continue to do what he wants,” Kyuhyun pointed out.

“But I worry that one day he will be punished, and then he will get himself kicked out of the palace… I wouldn’t be able to bear it if that happened and I hadn’t said anything,” Ryeowook frowned worried about the young kitchen boy. “Gege, I’ll go quickly and come back.” The younger turned and hurried out the room towards the kitchen.

Kyuhyun thought about Ryeowook had said. Even though he wouldn’t listen, Ryeowook was still determined to warn Jungwoo. He hurried to his personal box and opened it with the small key that he kept hidden on his person. History may still be history. But if I don’t do my best to stop it I will live with regret. Kyuhyun grasped the paper airplane letter that he had written and made when he had first debated whether to warn Hangeng or not.

 

*****

 “The Emperor still dotes on the Second Prince. No matter what decision you make. Do not forget this.”

Hangeng thought about these words as he stood in his study while his brothers sat and drank tea.

“Eighth Brother, we really can’t wait any longer. Everyone at court says that Imperial Father is going to reinstate Second Brother,” Sungmin pleaded as Yesung threw down his cup in annoyance.

“That’s only rumours,” Hangeng said.

“Eighth Brother, where there is smoke, there is fire,” Eunhyuk argued as well. “I think that this is Imperial Father’s intention also.”

“If that really is his intention, we cannot stop him no matter what we do.”

“Then let’s stop Imperial Father’s intentions,” Sungmin spoke persuasively. All of the princes thought they had to strike before they lost this chance. Only Hangeng was wary, especially after he heard Kyuhyun’s warning.

“I know there are a lot of ministers who are Eighth Brother’s supporters and want him as Crown Prince. If they can submit a petition and nominate you as Crown Prince then this will show Imperial Father that everyone supports you,” Sungmin reasoned, an idea forming.

“Isn’t that forcing Imperial Father?” Hangeng argued, convinced that they needed to remain cautious.

“No, we are just reminding him,” Yesung inputted, the idea had pulled him from his brooding in the corner, his face excited.

“That’s good! We don’t have to do anything and you can be Crown Prince!” Eunhyuk jumped in.

“Imperial Father dotes on Second Brother. It will not be easy for him to give up on Yoochun,” Hangeng continued.

“Eighth Brother, when did you become so indecisive and wishy-washy?” Yesung was scornful of this argument of Hangengs.

“Eighth Brother this is urgent. If we don’t act the position of Crown Prince will be gone.” Eunhyuk said, all of the brothers gathering around Hangeng at his place at the window.

“Eighth Brother, can you really bear to see Second Brother become Crown Prince again?” Sungmin put in. His voice hard and carrying the question that ultimately would lead Hangeng’s actions.

 

*****

Kyuhyun hurried through the gardens carrying the letter. He was determined to give it to Hangeng. Even if the prince ignored it and carried on with his plan Kyuhyun would at least be able to tell himself that he had done everything he could to prevent hard befalling the Eighth Prince.

“Kyuhyun.”

The boy shut his eyes in defeat as he heard his name being called out by a familiar voice. Turning around he saw not only Changmin but also Siwon heading towards him.

“Fourth Prince, Thirteenth Prince,” Kyuhyun bowed his greeting, his voice curt as he wanted to get this conversation over with as soon as possible.

“We only saw you a few days ago and now you are being cold to us,” Changmin chided.

“That’s not true. I am just busy,” Kyuhyun spoke quickly, he was aware of how little time he had until Hangeng set things into motion.

“Alright, continue with what you were busy with,” Changmin smiled slightly at his harried looking friend.

“Wait,” Siwon spoke out preventing Kyuhyun from departing. “I’ve something to ask you.”

Changmin smirked, “I will go then.”

Kyuhyun stared in frustration as Changmin walked away and left him with Siwon. This was not a discussion he wanted to have anytime, but right now it was even more unwelcome. He could feel the time go by him.

“What did Imperial Father and Second Brother discuss that day?” Siwon asked unexpectedly.

“That day I was outside the hall while the Emperor and Second Prince were inside. I have no idea what they discussed,” Kyuhyun tried to keep his voice chilly and polite. He didn’t want to offend the future Emperor but he certainly didn’t want to encourage conversation at this present time.

“You were standing just outside. I’m sure you heard something,” Siwon pointed out.

“Nothing.”

“Did you say the same thing to your brother-in-law?”

“Yes.” Kyuhyun smiled smugly at the prince.

Siwon’s eyes met his and caused a shiver of fear to run through him. The prince advanced on Kyuhyun making him step backwards to try and escape. However Siwon wrapped an arm around his waist holding him in place. Kyuhyun blushed at the proximity as well as the openness of the garden. If someone saw them like this, what would they think?

“Are you still mad at me for that night?” Siwon whispered softly. Kyuhyun reddened further as he remembered the kiss. This certainly was not what he wanted occupying his thoughts at this time.

“I don’t dare to be mad at you,” Kyuhyun said honestly while averting his eyes. He could feel the heavy gaze of the princes on his face. “As long as the Fourth Prince is not mad at me, I am fine with it.”

“I don’t regret the kiss,” Siwon continued. He liked the beautiful flustered look on the normally cool and composed head maid. He raised his hand and pulled back the neck of the younger’s collar. Kyuhyun gasped and slapped his hand away in annoyance.

“Why aren’t you wearing it?” Siwon asked curiously.

“What?”

“The necklace,” Siwon added.

“I keep it in my bedroom,” Kyuhyun explained while extracting himself from the prince’s arms. “I will return it to you the next time you enter the palace.”

“You already have it; there is no point in returning it.” Siwon replied. “You may have started this but you cannot end it easily all by yourself.” Siwon looked at the other contemplatively. “One day you will wear that necklace willingly.”

The prince walked off leaving a fuming Kyuhyun who was feeling trapped in his past mistakes. He gasped as he realised his original purpose. He hoped that his detainment by Siwon would not cause him to be late.

He ran towards the main court uncaring of how he looked. He bumped into Shindong as he turned a corner.

“Kyuhyun. Where are you going in such a rush?” The elder man fussed at the dishevelled state of his junior.

“Where is Eighth Prince?”

“Eighth Prince? They all returned back to their residences after the court session ended.” Shindong told the boy.

Kyuhyun sighed feeling defeated. There was no way for him to get a message to the outside. It was impossible for a resident of the Forbidden Palace to communicate with the outside. No one on the inside ever left except for the members of the court. And they had all left, even if they hadn’t he knew none of them expect the few princes and didn’t trust anyone else but then he need to personally deliver this particular letter.

Is this why he was waylaid by Changmin and Siwon? To prevent him from getting to the Eighth Prince in time? Was it Heaven’s decree that the history was set already and he couldn’t change it?

 

*****

“Congratulations Kyuhyun!”

“Excuse me?” Kyuhyun asked surprised as Shindong entered the tea quarters. “What do you want from me? Why are you being so nice?” Kyuhyun asked suspiciously.

“I would do that. I am really congratulating you!” Shindong said indignantly.

“What for? I haven’t done anything worthy of congratulations.”

“There’s a big event at the Qianqing Palace. 30 ministers petitioned the Imperial Court to nominate the Eighth Prince as the Crown Prince. His Majesty just summoned Eighth Prince and all the other princes.” Kyuhyun froze as Shindong continued. “If Eighth Prince becomes the Crown Prince, you will ride on his success and your status will be greatly elevated.”

Kyuhyun dropped the cup he was holding as he knew what would happen. He rushed towards the court followed by Shindong. He peeked around the corner into the throne room.

Kangin sat on his throne in the inner audience hall looking down at all the most important ministers and the princes.

“So many ministers and princes nominated the Eighth Prince as the candidate for Crown Prince.”

Siwon bowed and stepped out of the line, “Imperial Father I still think that the Second Prince is the best choice for Crown Prince.”

“Imperial Father, I have the same view as Fourth Brother,” Changmin seconded.

“Imperial Father, Eighth Brother is known to be kind and wise. Everyone should know that he is the best person for the job,” Yesung bowed and sought to change the line of thought. “This is also the wish of the ministers.” He firmly stated directly his argument at Changmin and Siwon.

“I see that everyone thinks that Eighth Prince should be Crown Prince,” Kangin said with a pleasant voice that seemed to have an edge hidden within it. “So it means that Second Prince is not the right choice.” The court shifted at the tone. “I must be blind and crazy to have selected the Second Prince as Crown Prince.”

“Ninth Brother didn’t mean that Imperial Father,” Sungmin bowed as he addressed his father. “Pleased be appeased Imperial Father.”

“If that was not his intention then why do I have this stack of paper?” Kangin indicated the pile of petitions that were sat on the desk in front of him; all from the various ministers and princes asking for the Eighth Prince to be nominated as Crown Prince. “Are you here for fun? Are you trying to revolt?” Kangin slammed down his fists as he let his anger show. All the courtiers fell to their knees before their Emperor’s fury.

“Please be appeased Imperial Father,” Hangeng called out. “They were worried that the Crown Prince had been vacant too long. This has caused uneasiness within the capital and may soon reach the other cities. Please down blame them.”

“If they were worried about the country and the people, what about you?” Kangin asked ferociously. “Do you desire to be Crown Prince?”

“I’m willing to back out for the selection of Crown Prince. Please down blame the rest of them.”

“No wonder you are called the ‘Virtuous Eighth Prince’. At this moment you have stood up for them. However in my opinion, you are the scheming Eighth Prince.” Kangin raged. “I hate to see you guys in collision with each other and forming cliques, disrupting the court and causing disruption.” Kangin had started to pace around the area in front of his throne. “You colluded with First Prince and made him snatch the position of Crown Prince for you!”

Kyuhyun gulped as he watched what he feared play out.

“Now you even make ministers petition and force me to make you Crown Prince.”

“I had no such intentions,” Hangeng protested.

“Eighth Brother didn’t have any such intentions!” Several of the younger princes spoke at once, Sungmin, Eunhyuk and Yesung included.

“All of you shut up!” Kangin yelled. “Eighth Prince is guilty of scheming and forming cliques which has been disturbing the peace of this court. Upon my order, remove all of his titles and lock him away for investigation.”

Sungmin looked up in concern. He got up and went to kneel before his father. “Pleased be appeased Imperial Father!” He bowed deeply. “Eighth Brother did his best for the court, I’m sure he didn’t plot against the Crown Prince and he didn’t intend to revolt. Please reinvestigate.”

“The facts are clear yet you want to deny it.” Kangin looked down at one of youngest sons.

“Eighth Brother has always done the best for our country. He is now in trouble and I want to fight for his rights,” Sungmin insisted. 

“Fourteenth Brother, stop it!” Hangeng called out to his younger brother. He knew the seriousness of their father’s wrath and he didn’t want Sungmin to also be under it.

“Eighth Brother was being nice to everyone yet you accuse him of forming cliques,” Sungmin continued trying to defend his brother. “Second Brother was wrong yet you accuse Eighth Brother of framing him! These are false charges!”

“Am I slandering him?” Kangin asked in indignation.

“Imperial Father you asked for the ministers to nominate a candidate for Crown Prince. They followed your requested and chose Eighth Brother,” Sungmin continued. “However you punish Eighth Brother instead. I don’t understand and I cannot accept this.”

“Fourteenth Prince! Is this the right attitude in which to talk to me?” Kangin asked even more incensed with his son’s opposition.

“Since Imperial Father was unfair, I must speak up,” Sungmin spoke determinedly, his frame tense as he remained on his hands and knees in from of the Emperor. “I cannot stand by and watch my brother suffer injustice. On account of our brotherly affections, please reconsider!”

“Brotherly affections?!” Kangin’s eyes became fiery.

“I will bet my life.” Sungmin offered as Kyuhyun silently gasped from his point at the side entrance.

“You want to use your life to save his?” Kangin questioned as his infuriation grew. All the princes looked worriedly at their youngest sibling present. “I shall grant you your wish!” Kangin grabbed a sword hanging from the waist of one of his many guards that lined the walls.

“Imperial Father! Please be appeased!” All the princes scrambled in front of their father grabbing at the front of his gown. “Don’t do this!” They remained on their knees as they crowded him begging for him to forgive the reckless young prince.

“Please Imperial Father! Fourteenth Brother is just being rash. He didn’t intend to be rude. He was just speaking out of brotherly love!” The Fifth Prince Jaewon, who had hold on his father’s arm spoke out loudly trying to placate the Emperor.

“Imperial Father, we didn’t collude! Please Imperial Father!” Yesung begged as Eunhyuk teared up.

Kangin threw the sword to the side at seeing the fearful faces of his children. “How did I get such unfilial children?!”

“I am unfilial, please punish me,” Sungmin spoke out from the crowd of his brothers that had rushed to engulf him.

“Today I will let you brothers off.” Kangin told the court as he stalked back to his throne. “Take Fourteenth Prince away and give him 20 . Eighth Prince will have his title of Bei’le removed and will be investigated. All the other princes are to return to their homes and reflect on their mistakes. If I find anyone trying to help Eighth Prince I will have them executed.”

Kyuhyun gripped the post that he was leaning on in despair as the court chanted, “We will follow your orders.”

Shindong unwrapped Kyuhyun’s fingers slowly as if scared that the other man would shatter. He guided him back to the tea quarters with a concerned face and a heavy heart.

“Shindong, I feel as if my heart has been pierced with a thousand needles,” Kyuhyun said as they entered his room. Shindong guided the younger boy over to a chair and rushed to get a cup of water.

Ryeowook rushed into the room moments after Shindong had settled him. “Gege are you alright?” The smaller took in the pale and pastry appearance.

“I need to see the Eighth Prince!” Kyuhyun got up while Ryeowook grabbed at his arm.

“You don’t look well. You should take care of yourself first. Even if you go now you will only get in trouble. It will only anger His Majesty.”

“Kyuhyun-ah, the Emperor is still angry. If you make a mistake your head will roll,” Shindong added desperately.

“I know you are worried about the Eighth Prince and your brother but you should look after yourself also,” Ryeowook pushed Kyuhyun back down to into his chair as gently as possible. “Even if you go back now you will only cause trouble.”

“Ryeowook is right,” Shindong said sitting by the forlorn looking boy’s side. “It’s not easy to leave the palace and you shouldn’t draw attention to yourself at this time.”

“I understand,” Kyuhyun answered sadly. He really did. There was nothing he could do for anyone. He was just the audience to a piece of history.

“Kyuhyun, you should just rest. We will return to the Qianqing Palace, if there is any news Ryeowook will come and tell you.”

“Thank you,” Kyuhyun murmured as he thought to himself. He vaguely heard the sound of his two friends leaving to return to their duties. He knew the result of this incident but he never knew the details. So a simple ending with only a line in a history book is such a painful process in person. What else will happen? What else do I not know the details of so will have to live through the intricacies in suspense? How did the Crown Prince get reinstated? What will happen now?

Later that night after several hours mulling in his thoughts and straining his memory for any things he had learnt about this time period to see whether he could find a clue as to what will happen, Ryeowook entered the chamber.

“What’s happening?” Kyuhyun pounced.

“Everything is quiet. The Emperor has calmed. Don’t worry though. You have always served His Majesty well and with diligence. You have always been kind and nice to everyone. The Emperor trusts and values you.” Ryeowook smiled slightly at the frantic Kyuhyun. “I’m sure this incident will not implicate you.” He started to guide Kyuhyun back towards the bench feeling that the look of his senior was still pale. “Plus, they are all the Emperor’s sons. He was just angry at that moment and so punished them. After a few days he will calm down and everything shall return to normal,” Ryeowook reassured the other.

“Ryeowook, thank you,” Kyuhyun looked up at him.

A knock at the door startled them both. When they opened it they saw a scared Minseok. Ryeowook turned and entered back into the room leaving the two in the doorway.

“I can’t stay long Second Miss,” Minseok spoke while looking around him. “A message from My Lord,” He held out an envelope, then hurrying off before he gave Kyuhyun a chance to speak or ask any questions. Kyuhyun ripped open the letter desperate for news.

“I’m safe. Don’t worry.”

No other words were on the paper yet Kyuhyun felt a weight lift from him as he clutched the letter in his hands. He reread the same words multiple times that night before he was able to drift into a fitful sleep.

 

*****

 

A/N: My cat decided that my hand obviously isn’t a necessity to me and attacked it. I have a giant gash on my palm and on my little finger, also all up my arm. I love my cat but it is such a brat sometimes. A cat is luckily it’s so small.  Anyway it stopped me from typing well for a couple of days (just when I started up again). I feel like I have bad karma. Everything is going against me recently.