Chapter 20

Startling By Each Step

 

Kyuhyun noticed quickly that people were avoiding him. People that used to politely bow their heads or greet him as a superior now turned their heads, refusing to look at him. He guessed it was because of Hangeng. He hadn’t thought before that maybe peoples initially respect for him had been because he was the popular Eighth Prince’s brother-in-law but it seems that it had been.

Shindong came to visit him in the tea quarters where he had been hiding himself. “Kyuhyun, my master wanted me to bring you a message,” Shindong told the younger man with a careful tone that said he wasn’t here for a social visit. “You are allowed to continue to serve the Emperor. He said that if you can be safe today when you go to His Majesty, you won’t have to be concerned about being implicated. Do you understand?”

“Yes.” Kyuhyun nodded. He knew what was happening, people tend to distance themselves from the one who is marked. If anyone thought that maybe he had been telling Hangeng information on what the Emperor was talking about and doing than he could be arrested. Because he wasn’t on the Eighth’s estate he wasn’t protected by them, he wasn’t protected by anyone. He could be executed if he displeased someone or drew attention to himself. He needed to be quiet and unnoticed. The Emperor wouldn’t bother to look after him when he had other things on his mind and he probably wouldn’t even be notified that a servant had been imprisoned until later. His position was precarious. “I just hope I’m not the only one who can remain safe.”

 “Master Leeteuk thinks you are smart enough to navigate these times,” Shindong smiled briefly trying to encourage even though he looked pale and skinnier than usual, the stress piled on him also.

Kyuhyun watched Shindong leave as he hurried back to his duties and he thought about what he would do today.

 

*****

Kyuhyun approached the Emperor silently with no tray or drink. He wasn’t on duty yet but the guards recognised him as one of the Emperor’s personal servants and yet him pass them easily. Leeteuk looked at him in alarm, his eyes telling him to leave before Kangin spotted him from his position reading at the side of the room.

“Your Majesty,” Kyuhyun spoke respectfully as he bowed to the monarch, “I have something to say.” Kangin looked up in surprise at the younger male.

The Emperor also had a knowing look on his voice and spoke firmly yet not unkindly, “You know I have ordered that if anyone tries to speak up for the Eighth Prince again, I will execute them.” His tone was one of light reprimand. “Do you still have something to tell me?”

“Kyuhyun, His Majesty is showing you mercy. Leave now.” Leeteuk’s voice had a hint of pleading as he begged Kyuhyun with his eyes to say no more.

Kyuhyun closed his eyes for a second before opened them and falling to his knees. “I’m sorry if I offend you but I must speak my mind.” His face remained defiantly turned up towards the Emperor.

Leeteuk jerked forward while Kangin held his hand up, “Let him speak, Leeteuk.”

Kyuhyun then bowed his head slightly away from the ruler, “I have served Your Majesty for several years now. I have seen how much you love your children first hand. When the Eighteenth Prince passed away you were heartbroken, you even fell sick. I can see the love for your children.” Kyuhyun stated firmly. He looked up at the Emperor again, his eyes resolute. “But, Your Majesty, why can’t you be more lenient to the sons that are still around you?”

“Enough,” Kangin stated as Kyuhyun went to continue on. Kyuhyun paused before deciding he needed to finish this. He may have already damned himself so he may as well try as hard as possible to use his position to beg for his friends.

“Your Majesty is a benevolent father. I’m sure you also want to enjoy fatherly love from your children. There is an old saying – ‘if a father is benevolent, the sons will be filial’.” Kangin’s face became angered as he heard the criticism being directed at himself.

“Leave.” The Emperor ground out, his voice forceful yet incredibly quiet and restrained.

Leeteuk rushed forward as Kyuhyun left the room, “Your Majesty, you didn’t punish him.” The chief eunuch worried that no punishment now meant a greater one later. Kangin ignored him and stood up, walking away from the other man and towards his desk.

“Your Majesty, while Kyuhyun was reckless, he has always remained calm and grounded no matter what praise he has been given or who favours or disfavours him. He is no doubt speaking out of concern for Your Majesty.” The servant followed his master around the room, talking softly.

Kangin paused and looked at his faithful shadow, the one person who was to be with him every day, the person who was to be the most faithful and loyal, the person who was supposed to know him better than he knew himself. He saw the eyes that asked for mercy and he found himself knowing that he couldn’t harm Kyuhyun anyway. He nodded slightly before marching back to his seat and resuming the read of a report that Kyuhyun had interrupted with his unannounced visit.

 

*****

Siwon sighed as he returned back to his estate. He had been to visit the bedridden Sungmin, concerned about how he was coping since the incredibly active boy was unable to move without wincing in pain. He had been rebuffed however for his inquiry by his peeved younger brother. Sungmin was annoyed that Siwon had taken Yoochun’s side and how he hadn’t begged for Sungmin nor gone to his aid when he was trying to help Hangeng. He also seemed to believe that Siwon should have tried to stop their father sooner when he had grabbed the sword and also tried to prevent him from being punished. Being cooped up in bed had made Sungmin hard to reason with and Sooyoung who had been there to tend to her youngest son had gently told her elder child that maybe he should leave for the time being.

“Fourth Brother, I brought some new wine, would you like to try it?” Changmin’s voice called out from a table situated in the courtyard in from of Siwon’s personal quarters. A bottle of wine was sitting on the table in from of him. He took in the slight furrow of his elder brother’s brow as well as the silence that greeted his suggestion. “You knew that Sungmin would be angry.” The Thirteenth Prince told him as he decided to change his tactics.

“I did.”

“Fourth Brother, I know that you are cool headed not cold hearted. I know that you couldn’t possibly watch anything bad happen to Fourteenth Brother, let alone any of our other brothers.” The soft spot that Siwon had for his younger and only full blooded brother was well hidden. The elder often wished that they were more similar yet it seemed that they argued about everything.

“It was impossibility that Imperial Father would kill Fourteenth Brother. Even vicious animals look after their offspring. Let along Imperial Father who values his family above everything else. He would never allow serious harm to befall any of us even if he was in the worst mood.”

“You are right. If you had pleaded Imperial Father would have felt ganged up on and it may have made the situation worse. It would have been out of everyone’s control.” Changmin agreed with his elder.

Siwon cracked a small smile, “No one knows he better than you.”

“I know,” Changmin grinned smugly. “Now come and drink with me.”

“You know I do not drown my sorrows in wine. I am feeling better already from your understanding words.”

“Your cool words and actions make people misunderstand you,” The younger admonished the older.

“If even one other can truly understand you, your life is without regret,” Siwon quoted as he eyed Changmin fondly.

“Since you have no regret you aren’t allowed to sulk.”

Changmin smiled cheekily at the other man.

“No regrets.” Siwon smiled in return.

 

*****

Hangeng opened the door to his Ce’fujin’s chambers and approached the praying man.

“Mi,” he called out.

The other man raised his head and looked at his husband before quickly rising and bowing to the prince.

“Your Highness.”

“Sit with me,” Hangeng spoke gently. “Mi, you never ask about anything that is happening beyond your own quarters and there are some things you may not know.” He sighed and looked sadly at his emotionless wife. “I have been stripped of all my titles. Everyone had recommended me as Crown Prince but the Emperor…” He trailed off as he looked pleadingly at the man who hadn’t moved a muscle, his eyes remained distant and empty.

Silence filled the room. “Don’t you have anything to say?”

“What would Your Highness like me to say?” The sad eyes the prince who just beseeched the younger with his eyes to comfort him in some way.

“Please Mi,” Hangeng’s voice broke.

Mi didn’t say anything though his eyes seemed to focus more on his husband rather than whatever had previously been occupying his mind.

Hangeng realised that he was fighting a losing battle and retreated for his pride’s sake. Also because he did not think he had the emotional strength to be rejected once again by a man he so desperately wanted love and support from. “I will leave you to your scriptures.”

“Thank you Your Highness,” was the quiet reply he received as he swept from the room.

*****

Hangeng headed towards the tea quarters of his father’s palace still defeated after his struggle to gain ZhouMi’s sympathy. As he approached the courtyard he bumped into Siwon who was walking in a similar direction.

“Fourth Brother, what are you doing here?” Hangeng enquired genially.

“I was just wandering. I didn’t expect to see you here either,” Siwon replied, a small smile on his face.

“Although the palace is large, it is still contained within 4 walls.”

“If one wants to find a truly peaceful place there are few options,” Siwon added.

Hangeng nodded his agreement as Kyuhyun walked into the courtyard and saw the two men conversing in from of his room.

“Greetings Fourth Prince, Eighth Prince,” Kyuhyun bowed, feeling incredibly nervous.

“Rise,” Siwon said, the elder prince being the one in control. “Eighth Brother, since we met so fortuitously, why don’t we ask Kyuhyun to make us a cup of tea?”

“That sounds like a good idea,” Hangeng smiled lightly at his elder brother.

“Kyuhyun, we will have to trouble you then.” Siwon turned to the servant who waiting patiently while watching them both with wide eyes.

“Yes, Your Highness,” Kyuhyun lowered his gaze and hurried into the tea room to prepare a drink for the two princes who had appeared on his doorstep.

When Kyuhyun returned with his tray of tea stuffs he found the two princes seated opposite each other on the small table.

“Kyuhyun, we are not at Qianqing Palace. You should sit with us.” Siwon stated quickly at seeing the boy remain standing as he started to pour the drinks in the specific way all the tea servers learnt to perfection.

“Your servant does not dare,” Kyuhyun spoke out demurely. Both men secretly smiled when they thought of the Kyuhyun of a few years before who would have plonked down and showed both of them the minimum of respect. This boy in front of them had matured so well over the years and become a beautiful young man who had learnt to be the perfect servant of the palace. He had learnt discretion, respect, the ability to withdrawn from potential conflict, avoidance. Kyuhyun was no longer the uncouth child he had been.

“We are only two brothers having tea,” Hangeng argued. “Not to mention we are guests in your house.” He pointed out that they had been the ones to enter the tea quarters which was were Kyuhyun reined above all the other tea maidens. “You should sit with us.”

He sat down between the two older men and silently poured the tea into the cups starting the intricate tea ceremony that he had been taught when he first entered the palace and was assigned to serve the Emperor with no knowledge of the fine art of tea craft.

He passed each of them a small cup of a jasmine tea he had already had prepared before he went out to see the Emperor.

“How rare to still have something sweet even with all the hardships,” Hangeng met Kyuhyun’s eyes as he spoke those words.

“Eighth Brother,” Siwon spoke kindly with a reassuring tone. “Imperial Father was merely in a fit of temper when he stripped you of your titles. I think given some time, Imperial Father will recognise Eighth Brother’s talents and capabilities.”

“Imperial Father,” The other prince sighed. “He still dotes on Second Brother very much.” Kyuhyun paused for less than a second in his motions of pouring tea over the clay teapot, before carrying on, “I was the one who did not realise the severity of the situation. I have implicated all the Princes and ministers who supported me.”

Suddenly the Eighth Prince gasped, “How is Fourteenth Prince? How are his injuries?”

“It was only 20 . He can take that.” Siwon assured the younger, who at tensed up once again at the thought of his younger brother in agony because of him. “However his heartbreak isn’t just from the 20 .”

“Fourteenth Brother is angry that you did not speak up for him?” Hangeng asked knowingly.

“My own brother is upset with me,” Siwon sighed at the memory of the dismissal he had received from his brother earlier that day and his immediate decision to hunt out Kyuhyun.

“Do not worry. You still have Thirteenth Brother. He will always understand you.” Eighth Brother rushed to do the reassurance this time. His normally cold elder brother was looking sad at the thought of Sungmin.

 Siwon looked down at the little tea cup that he held in his hand as he drew the warmth from the clay. “It seems that a little warmth can help one express their emotions more clearly.”

“I’ll use your advice. I’ll give it some time.” Hangeng smiled weakly.

“It is hard to meet up for light tea, today was a rare meeting.”

“Since it’s so hard to meet up, Kyuhyun, you should drink a cup with us,” Hangeng smiled a little brighter as he looked at the youngest there.

Kyuhyun poured a cup for himself and smiled as he looked at the two brothers. He didn’t know how to feel about these two, they had a cordial relationship. They were brothers that weren’t close yet were relaxed with each other. He looked at the two who were smiling at each other with such warmth and thought of the bitter relationship and the fighting that would occur between them in the future. He wanted this time to last longer. He didn’t want the future to get here any sooner than it had to.

“Let’s have another one,” he said when he noticed the empty cups.

*****

 

Shindong hurried into the tea quarters as he was wont to do after something interesting happened in a court session.

“Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, I have happy news,” Shindong grinned. It was well known that the aide to the head eunuch loved to gossip. “Today in court the Second Prince was restored as Crown Prince. The Emperor is very pleased.”

“That is good news,” Kyuhyun agreed. The court and the palace should be less tense now, the arguing and instability that occurred due to a lack of a Crown Prince would cease. The Emperor would be happier and hopefully the dark cloud that had hovered over everyone would clear.

“Also the Emperor was in such a good mood he titled the Third, Fourth and Fifth Princes as Princes of the first rank. The Seventh, Ninth, Tenth, Twelfth, Thirteenth and Fourteenth were all titled Bei’zi. He also restored Eighth Prince’s title of Bei’le.” He looked to Kyuhyun when he spoke the last sentence.

“That’s great!” Ryeowook gushed. He ran to Kyuhyun and hugged him. “Everything is righting itself.”

“All the bad things have passed, Kyuhyun. You no longer have to worry yourself,” Both of the men had been worried about the deterioration of their friend. He had become skinnier and paler. He didn’t eat or sleep well.

“For looking after me and worrying after me, I thank you.” Kyuhyun smiled sincerely for the first time in a while as he looked at his two friends and bowed slightly.

“No need for such a formal thank you.” Shindong blustered as he blushed. “We are all on your side. I’ll go back to my duties now. I don’t want my master to come and look for me.” He rushed out of the room as Ryeowook giggled.

“You know he doesn’t cope well with compliments or thanks,” Ryeowook teased the older man.

“Well I was still going to thank him. I’m not rude like some people can be.”

“Was that a jab at me?” Ryeowook pouted.

“You should thank people who are considerate enough to carry trays for you.”

“He doesn’t like people thanking him. Besides he was coming to see you so he may as well help me.”

“You should go. You don’t want to be late for your shift,” Kyuhyun pointed out to the other boy. Ryeowook paused and realised that he had been in the process of making a drink for one of the senior advisors. He sprang into action and hurried out of the door.

“The Emperor has always preferred the Second Prince,” Kyuhyun thought. The reinstatement of Yoochun had come as no surprise to him. He knew the Emperor would side with Yoochun rather than acknowledge the respect Hangeng had of the court as well as the growing influence he yielded. He sighed as he went back to cleaning the tea cups, choosing to just be thankful that Hangeng was back to his former place. The danger had passed for the time being.

*****

 

Kyuhyun ran through the rain heading towards the covered walkways that were scattered around the gardens. He hadn’t expected the rain and wouldn’t have gone to pick lilac petals if he had even suspected the weather would turn. As he was scowling and shaking himself off like a grumpy cat, Eunhyuk and Sungmin walked up behind him.

“Ahem!” Eunhyuk drew attention to them and caused Kyuhyun to jolt in surprise. Looking around though Kyuhyun smiled at seeing two of his friends, his dark mood vanishing.

“Greetings Tenth Prince, Fourteenth Prince,” Kyuhyun bowed to each of them in turn.

“We were looking for you, Ryeowook said you would be out here,” Eunhyuk told the damp boy.

“Why were you looking for me?” Kyuhyun asked, instantly curious.

“Did you hear that Tenth Brother? He’s forgotten!” Sungmin grinned.

Eunhyuk smiled as he told the younger, “You remember everyone’s birthdays but you have forgotten your own!”

“Why would I want to remember my birthday? It just means I am getting old and boring!” Kyuhyun joked as he grinned to the equally happy princes.

“Are you saying we are boring?” Eunhyuk pouted teasingly.

“Yes. Very!” Kyuhyun said in reply.

“And here we were, coming to ask what you wanted for your birthday.”

“What would you like for your birthday?” Sungmin asked as they got to the point of their visit.

“Just give me something small like you have the previous years,” Kyuhyun told them.

“But this year I am determined to get you something special!” Eunhyuk whined at the unhelpfulness of the birthday boy.

“I wish I could see my Gege,” Kyuhyun’s face turned sad as he thought of his older brother that he hadn’t seen in over 3 years. “But how could the two of us meet? Now with the mess with the Crown Prince only just finishing, Eighth Prince rarely comes to the palace. I never see him. I understand and I don’t want people to gossip either nor cause him trouble.” He didn’t see the look the brothers shared as he turned and declared, “Let’s just do something fun like we normally do! Let’s forget all the worry we had recently.”

“You’ve been in the palace way too long. You speak with only 30% sincerity now.” Sungmin laughed at the way Kyuhyun plastered on a fake grin.

Kyuhyun pouted instead in half jest. “Do you want me to act miserable then?”

“No, but we don’t want you to be fake around us.” Sungmin’s eyes were serious yet his voice was light as he turned to Kyuhyun.

“I am happy if everyone is safe and well,” Kyuhyun replied, his face just as serious. His face broke into a smile as he looked out. “The rain has stopped!” He walked back out into the gardens.

“Where are you going?” Eunhyuk enquired, startled by Kyuhyun suddenly walking off.

“To pick flowers!” Kyuhyun grinned. “I do have a job, you know? If I don’t pick them now I will have to wait a whole year for the next bloom. I thought you liked lilac cake?”

Eunhyuk gaped at the cheeky tone of the younger.

Sungmin smiled at Eunhyuk’s face as he told Kyuhyun, “Remember, ‘Pluck flowers as they bloom. Wait and you’ll only have twigs’.’” Sungmin spoke the well-known idioms.

Kyuhyun nodded and left with a lighter heart having seen his two friends. Sungmin turned also to return to the main palace. Eunhyuk frowned, following his younger brother before asking, “What does that mean?”

*****

Kyuhyun sighed as he lit himself a candle. This birthday tradition would not make its way to China for over 250 years. He looked at it and thought, “I have been here for years. I suppose I am never going back. I even have to remind myself that I am Cho Kyuhyun not Zhou Kyuhyun. When was the last time I thought of my past? I am slowly losing myself. Is that a good thing or a bad thing if I am lost here forever?”

He thought to himself how even his birthday was different in this time. Whereas before in his past or his future, he was unsure which, his birthday had been in the winter, just after New Year, now his birthday was in the summer.

He sighed and blew out the candle, wishing for the safety of all the people he cared for. There was a knock on the door, so he hid the candle before calling the person to come in.

“Greetings, Lady Kyuhyun. I am a servant of Consort Sooyeon. She saw one of the servant’s handkerchiefs, the design was very unique. We learnt it was designed by you so my mistress wishes for you to make some paintings for her so that she could have her own made.”

“Okay, I shall go with you.”

Kyuhyun followed the girl in confusion. He didn’t remember specifically designing anyone a handkerchief. His eyes widened as he remember that Consort Sooyeon was Hangeng’s mother. He wondered what the older woman wanted from him. He at least knew that the woman wouldn’t wish him any harm, though it was impossible for anyone to get anyway with harming him given his status as a maiden, someone with noble blood for personally served the Emperor.

“You can go in by yourself,” The servant indicated the open door to Consort Sooyeon’s quarters once they had travelled through the palace. Kyuhyun would surely have gotten himself lost in the consort’s section if he hadn’t been guided by the silent maid. She left before he had a chance to thank her.

Feeling apprehensive at the thought of meeting Hangeng’s mother he entered the room silently and approached the waiting woman. Sat next to her was someone who was quietly listening to the elder woman. Kyuhyun could hardly contain his happiness when he bowed to Hangeng’s mother and as well as his second wife.

“Greetings Consort Sooyeon, Greetings Fujin.”

“Kyuhyun, I invited you here to design some ideas for a handkerchief for me.” Sooyeon looked kindly at the young boy.

“It is my honour to draw you some. I fear that I would not be able to create one beautiful enough for you.” Kyuhyun bowed as he eyed his older brother happily.

“Isn’t it a wonderful coincidence that you brothers should meet? Kyuhyun, you can paint over there. Mi, would you sit and guide him in the styles I like.”

“Yes mother,” ZhouMi rose and bowed to his mother-in-law alongside Kyuhyun before they both retreated to a side room where a few painting tools had been set up.

Once they were out of everyone’s sight the brothers relaxed and Kyuhyun jumped on his elder brother giving him a firm hug. “I missed you Gege!” He felt himself well up as emotions threatened to overwhelm him.

“It’s okay Kyu,” Mi murmured before pushing the younger into a chair.

They stared at each a while, before drinking in the sight of their sibling whom they hadn’t seen in too long.

“A few days ago the Eighth Prince informed me to visit his mother upon this day to greet her.” Mi smiled as he told how he came to be here. “I was wondering whether today was a celebration or a holiday. Then I realised that your birthday was soon. I knew I would definitely see you so I came as soon as was respectable.”

“So Eighth Prince arranged it?” Kyuhyun spoke softly more to himself than his brother. “So what flowers does Consort Sooyeon like?”

“She would like something fresh and elegant.”

They talked sporadically as Mi sat and watched his younger brother paint. The elder wouldn’t have been able to draw his eyes away for anything at this moment. He had fallen into depression once again when his brother entered the palace and to see the other was everything he wanted. Kyuhyun too felt his heart was full for the first time in so long. Mi was the one person who he knew would love and support him no matter what. The unconditional love that he felt made all his heartache and angst fall away. Today was perfect.

*****

 

Pluck flowers as they bloom (Seize opportunities as they come). Wait and you’ll only have twigs (Hesitate and they’ll be gone).

A/N: So I updated! YAY!

I feel like it’s a major achievement whenever I manage one of these *rolls shoulders and neck to get crick out*

How many people are surprised that 4 years have passed for Kyuhyun?? He’s been in the palace over 3 years! He’s still got so many more years to go through before this thing is over. I really do feel like a parent. This is my baby. My pet project which is so so long. You have all been warned!

 

 

So someone who had watched the tv show asked why I didn’t use the proper titles such as Bei’le. Well I decided to include that little bit about the titles because of that. Also because it was kind of relevant.

Explanation you can skip if you want to:

Princes had ranks in China. In the Qing dynasty this was quite complicated but I shall simplify it for you but since we hardly have an equivalent in the West or in English, it’s confusing. So a prince is a prince, but their children wouldn’t be princes or princesses. They would just be Lords or Ladies.  

Basic rank – prince. If you please or impress the Emperor you could be raised to a “Bei’zi”. Then if you impress him a bit more, “Bei’le”. If you really please him, you become a “Prince of the Second Rank”.  Ultimate, highest rank is “Prince of the First Rank”.

So the Emperor could give out these rankings if he was happy, like in this case he was happy about reinstating Yoochun, or if a prince did something incredibly impressive, like win a battle or manage to get a treaty signed, etc.

 

Anything that makes no sense or that you don’t understand let me know; I will try and fix it or explain it.

I need sleep…

Love all my readers. I appreciate you all. You have no idea the confidence boost it has given me ^^ I am having a crappy day and then I look on here and I feel so much better.