Chapter 25

Startling By Each Step

Chapter 25

 

 

Kyuhyun strode quickly towards the Eighth Prince’s tent, waving Minseok aside as he walked straight through the entrance. He couldn’t deal with waiting, he just had to confirm that Hangeng was okay, right this instance.

“Kyuhyun!” Hangeng exclaimed as Kyuhyun rushed in to his arms. They were silent as Kyuhyun allowed his heart to calm. Kyuhyun burrowed his face into the others neck, a strange repeat of the embrace they had shared earlier that evening.

“I was so scared. I thought the Crown Prince had found you.”

“He did find us. It was lucky though that he fired arrows at us before getting close enough to see us properly. Do you know where Fourteenth Prince is? I can’t risk going out to look for him.”

“He’s safe. He’s with Prince Junsu.”

“Prince Junsu?” Hangeng parroted, his eyes wide as he pushed Kyuhyun away to get a proper look at his face, but not letting go of him fully.

“He doesn’t know anything. I told him that the Fourteenth Prince was my lover, and that he had sneaked out of the city to see me. He is hiding him in his tent.” Kyuhyun rushed through his explanation, slightly nervous of how Hangeng would react to Kyuhyun and Sungmin having to act as lovers in the eyes of another. He avoided looking at the older’s face and stared at his chest instead.

“Well,” Hangeng paused, “that was ingenious of you. No other person would be able to think that up.”

Kyuhyun blushed at the compliment he hadn’t been expecting. But then he remembered their present situation and the blood drained from his face as quickly as it had risen. “What of the Crown Prince? He knows it was you doesn’t he?”

“I have no doubts that he knew our identities, he just has no proof. He can’t go to Imperial Father without proof. He will search everywhere for Fourteenth Prince. We are lucky that neither of us were injured.”

“How did he discover you? He wasn’t walking through the woods and saw you by chance.”

“He was having me watched by more men than I was aware of. That would be the only way he could have known, I had left the camp quietly without the followers I was aware of seeing, that I am sure of. I should have been more careful, I knew it was a possibility. I guess he was truly concerned about me having contact with the capital,” Hangeng replied bitterly as he released Kyuhyun and started to pace the tent. “He knew that something was happening in the capital and that they would need to get to me. Fourteenth Prince has brought me news that makes me believe that Imperial Father has big plans and the Crown Prince knows that by the time we get back to the capital at the end of the summer, those plans will be set in stone. He doesn’t want me able to disrupt them, and he wanted to catch me in the act.”

“If it was the Emperor’s plan to cut you off from the capital and then to disrupt your network, what can you do to counteract?” Kyuhyun enquired, genuinely worried. He had sat down on one of the ornate chairs that were bunched in the centre of the room.

“These things are long and complicated to explain.” Hangeng answered kindly, moving to sit down beside Kyuhyun. “In short, even if you’re the Emperor, you can’t do whatever you want.” Kyuhyun pulled a disappointed face at the brief reply. Hangeng noticed and continued, “If you really want to know everything, I slowly go through everything you would be interested to know, but not tonight.” His face was an open book and Kyuhyun knew in that moment that Hangeng was telling him that he would never hide anything from him. If Kyuhyun wanted to know what Hangeng was actually up to, Hangeng would explain. Hangeng trusted him and that felt like a punch in the gut.

“So what will the Crown Prince do now?” Kyuhyun asked, desperate to distract them both.

“He will come to see me, soon I am guessing. He will imply things with his actions and I will reply as if I do not know anything. We will say things that will have double meanings, words that are a secret language that only those in the know can learn. This has been repeated more times than I can count and will be repeated until one of us is gone.” Hangeng looked somber as he spoke, his eyes filled with tiredness.

“So why do you do it?” Kyuhyun truly wanted to know, this was one of the questions that he wanted to know, if only to satisfy his morbid curiosity. Hangeng’s desire for power would lead him down a road of suffering and ultimately his death Kyuhyun firmly reminded himself.

“One day I’ll explain to you but not today. You need to leave before the Crown Prince arrives. He would use you against me if he knew that we were more than brothers-in-law.” Hangeng planted a kiss on Kyuhyun’s forehead as he pushed the younger towards the entrance of his large tent. “I will come and see you tomorrow. You don’t have to fear, I won’t let anything happen to you. I’ll always be here protecting you,” Hangeng promised.

Kyuhyun didn’t have time to react before he was outside looking at Minseok’s expectant face. “I am going back. Look after him.”

“I will My Lady,” Minseok promised as the Imperial servant turned. He barely made it 5 paces before he stood in front of Yoochun.

“Kyuhyun, what are you doing here?” Yoochun’s face was a mask of polite curiosity yet  his eyes were sharp. Kyuhyun thought he seemed like a shark, hunting for the smell of blood or a form of weakness from his prey.

“I injured my hands,” Kyuhyun replied, his face calm as his heart pounded. He presented his bandaged hands, suddenly thankful for the pain that seemed to have flooded him instantly and was keeping him tethered to this façade.  “I knew that my brother-in-law would have some medicine so I came to beg a portion.”

“I sometimes forget that you are of the Eighth Prince’s estate,” Yoochun replied, his eyes hard yet his voice soft and deceptively calming.

“Yes, well I only lived there for a year.” Kyuhyun smiled slightly, seemingly devoid of thoughts.

“I won’t keep you then. You should return to your tent, did you not here that there are thieves about?”

“Is that why there are so many guards? I can’t say I was paying much attention Your Highness,” Kyuhyun answered, praying that something would distract Yoochun or that he would grow bored of talking to him. He couldn’t leave first, only the royal could dismiss him.

“Crown Prince, I wasn’t expecting you,” Relief flooded him as he heard Hangeng’s voice behind him.

“I thought I’d come and see if you were alright. Thieves have been prowling around the camp.” Yoochun answered, his gaze only flickering away from Kyuhyun’s face for a moment. Kyuhyun kept his mask as firmly on as it had been before. He wasn’t going to be the weak chain in this situation. He couldn’t allow himself to slip when so much was at stake.

Yoochun was there standing in from of him, his presence a black stain and the next he was gone, walking towards Hangeng and disappearing into the Eighth Prince’s tent.

Kyuhyun didn’t allow himself to breathe until he was safely inside his own tent the other side of the camp, near the Imperial one.

 

**

 

Kyuhyun walked steadily as he carried the tea tray towards Kangin. The Emperor was having a private audience with Yoochun before he went back to visiting the surrounding area that afternoon.

“Have you caught that thief from last night? Did anyone lose anything?”

“No,” Yoochun admitted nervously. “However because we discovered him fast we didn’t lose anything.” Kyuhyun carefully placed the tea on the small table to the Emperor’s left. He took a step back, to wait patiently by the side of the throne in case he was needed. Leeteuk was ever present at Kangin’s right.

“Then did you know the Mongols are very unhappy?” Kangin asked, his tone unforgiving. “The horse thief you described was dressed as a Mongol. However, you didn’t find anything.”

“In my haste, I didn’t consider everything, Imperial Father.” Yoochun bowed his head contritely. “I will accept Imperial Father’s punishment.”

 “In the future when you deal with matters like this, you must always think carefully before you act.” Kangin said as he dismissed his son with a wave of his hand.

 

**

 

“Yesterday felt like a dream.”

Kyuhyun jumped as he heard a familiar voice behind him, spilling the tealeaves that he had been decanting. He didn’t turn as he asked, “A nightmare?”

“Not completely, I dreamed that you freely ran into my arms and showed your concern for me,” Kyuhyun could hear the smile in the other’s voice.

“Really? Are you sure you weren’t dreaming?” Kyuhyun teased lightly, he knew that he couldn’t deny his feelings after outpouring of fear he showed for Hangeng the day before.

“Hmmm, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t.” Hangeng replied as he wrapped his arms around the servant and stilled the hands that were still busy.

“How you know you aren’t dreaming now?” Kyuhyun continued as he pressed back into the other’s warm embrace.

“If this is a dream I don’t want to wake up yet.”

Kyuhyun chuckled deeply as he let himself bask in the other’s presence. Something the previous night had clicked a switch inside of him that allowed him to accept the others attentions and to admit his own. He just remembered the fear that had been running through him and how all he had been worried about was Hangeng’s safety and to a lesser degree Sungmin’s.

He didn’t know why he was so concerned though, because he knew what the future would hold, so surely Hangeng and Sungmin wouldn’t have been caught whether he helped or not. Or maybe he helped write the future, or the past, he got confused when he thought about it too much.

Kyuhyun couldn’t have stopped himself from helping the two of them even if he had thought it through. The two of them were too important to him for him to just sit by and watch them in danger when he knew he could help. He stilled as he thought of their future and how if he was still around he would have to watch them suffer greatly. He’d had a nightmare last night in which he saw Hangeng die, he had woken shaken and Ryeowook had comforted him until they both fell back to sleep. He knew what the future would hold and he had tried to distance himself but it seemed that he couldn’t. He had become inseparable with his feelings for the Eighth Prince, much like the jade bracelet that still adorned his wrist. So he would just have to try and change history, because he couldn’t live without at least trying.

“I hate it when you get that look,” Hangeng looked concerned as Kyuhyun brought himself back into focus. Hangeng had moved around to stand at Kyuhyun’s side, gazing at his face as Kyuhyun remained lost in thought. “You look so far away, and I have this fear that you’ll leave me and disappear.”

Kyuhyun felt just as lost as Hangeng looked as he failed to think of a reply. So he decided to try a different tack, “Let’s go for a walk. Since you can’t ride, we will walk and enjoy the flowers.”

“Okay, my love.” The endearment was new and Kyuhyun felt flustered by it. Hangeng enjoyed watching the other flounder as he thought to respond, the mood returning to the good one rather than the melancholy of the previous few minutes.

The danger is worth it. Because he’s happy now.

 

**

 

“Why didn’t the Crown Prince tell the Emperor of his suspicions about the identity of the thief?”

“Don’t worry. If he couldn’t catch the thief, he wouldn’t know for sure whether the Mongol thief was Fourteenth Brother or not. If he alarms the Emperor, nothing good will come out of it for him.”

Kyuhyun hummed instead of continuing. The two of them had been meandering away from the camp, the conversation ebbing and flowing but neither felt pressured to keep it going as both felt at ease with silence. It was relaxing to be able to discuss things, but at the same time Kyuhyun knew that these were different to the conversations he would have with Thirteenth Prince. With the Thirteenth Prince he could be radical and talk of modern theories, while he knew that the Eighth Prince would be in no way receptive of his dangerous ideas, even though what they discussed was equally dangerous in a different way.

He let himself think of going for walks like this every day with Hangeng, of Hangeng being able to discuss his concerns with someone who he could trust. He wondered whether Hangeng felt as relaxed as he did.

 

**

 

Kyuhyun brought tea to drink when he next saw Hangeng, this time in the safety of his tent, away from any prying eyes.

“Are you not going to drink?” Hangeng was staring at him rather than taking the presented cup and Kyuhyun smirked. Hangeng took the cup while pouting slightly at the interruption. Kyuhyun was amused that he was seeing the great Eighth Prince pouting over not being able to stare at his heart’s content. “I’ll go get a book,” Kyuhyun offered while he started to rise.

“I don’t want to look at a book. I just want to look at you.” Hangeng grumbled, yet it was ruined by the grin that now adorned his face.

“I am on duty today, I have to leave to prepare the tea and snacks soon,” Kyuhyun reminded the other, still finding this Hangeng entertaining. “Otherwise what would the Emperor drink when he came back? Plus I plan to go and visit Fourteenth Prince later, to see how he is faring.” Hangeng looked so upset that Kyuhyun laughed and said, “I’ll stay a while then, so you can gaze your fill.”

“Even if you stayed I don’t think I would have my fill,” Hangeng quipped as he picked up the younger’s hand and pressed it to his face. “I have thought about you for so long, dreamt about you for years.” Kyuhyun swallowed down the guilt he felt at hearing the longing in the other man’s voice.

“You have me now.”

“And you have no idea how happy I am,” Hangeng’s eyes were alight and his face was the brightest Kyuhyun had ever seen it. The Eighth Prince who was normally so in control of his emotions was bursting with happiness and Kyuhyun couldn’t see how he would have been able to miss it.

“I really do have to go now though.”

“I will let you go,” Hangeng replied as he released Kyuhyun’s captive hand. “But only because if I kept you, you wouldn’t visit me again. Go.” As Kyuhyun took a step away Hangeng spoke. “Don’t visit Fourteenth Brother yet, he is safe with Junsu. Wait until the Crown Prince is not on alert anymore, just a few more days.”

“If you guys are done discussing, why don’t you have him leave? Would that not be safer?” Kyuhyun asked as Hangeng shook his head.

“It’s true we have discussed the biggest and most pressing issues. However the Crown Prince would be thinking that since the camp grounds have been searched and the thief now located, if he was sure it was Fourteenth Brother, that he would now be on the way back to the capital. The Crown Prince would have arranged guards to be waiting along all the routes to try and catch him.” Hangeng stood while he was explaining so he was similar height to Kyuhyun. “So we should wait a few days. Let him leave when the Crown Prince is no longer suspicious.”

Kyuhyun nodded in understanding and then made to leave the tent.

“I will wait for you this evening.” Kyuhyun turned back and gave Hangeng a small smile before leaving this time with no interruptions. He nodded to Minseok before hurrying back towards his own tent.

Let me love him wholeheartedly, so that he will fall head over heels in love with me. If he loves me enough I will change his fate.

 

**

 

“Tell me more!”

Sungmin gulped as Junsu descended on him once again.

“You two were childhood sweethearts who have known each other forever. Surely those aren’t the only memories you have?” Junsu’s wide eyes stared at him and Sungmin felt his head begin to ache once again.

“Prince, I have told you everything. Things I have a right and some things I have not right to reveal.”

“I don’t believe you!”

Sungmin sighed at the demanding nature of this younger boy. He really did wonder whether it would’ve been better to hide in a tree until his Second Brother was less suspicious. “If you don’t tell me I will ask Kyuhyun when he comes!”

“Okay, okay.” Sungmin huffed as he collapsed on the pile of furs that made up the bed.

“Kyuhyun will be visiting you tonight! You should tidy your appearance!” Junsu exclaimed as he examined Sungmin more closely. Sungmin listened as the other prince ordered some hot water from the maid that was standing on duty in near the entrance.

“You don’t need to do that,” Sungmin called out. He really didn’t need to tidy himself, Kyuhyun wouldn’t care what he looked like and he didn’t have the energy to ‘tidy’ as Junsu put it.

“You do! When Kyuhyun comes in and sees how dishevelled you look, she will scold me for not taking better care of you.” Junsu nodded to himself as he gestured wildly. Sungmin had only just got used to how animated the Mongol Prince was. Not even Eunhyuk was this crazy and he was the least controlled of everyone Sungmin knew in the capital. He wondered whether all Mongols were this unrestrained but he knew from meeting others that the Prince Junsu was special. Not that that was a bad thing. The prince was refreshing and untainted. But he just wished he wasn’t confined to a tent with the boy.

“Your Highness, the Lady Kyuhyun has sent a message to say that he can’t visit this evening. He will come another day.” The servant had returned with the water and Sungmin’s saving. No Kyuhyun meant no having to get up and wash again. He hated being confined; it was making him slow and sluggish.

“What’s he so busy with the entire day?” Junsu moaned, Sungmin had no idea why he was complaining when he wasn’t Kyuhyun’s supposed lover. He raised himself from the bed and smiled as he replied, “Maybe he is tired from serving the Emperor all day.”

Junsu nodded before lighting up, “So tell me more about you and Kyuhyun!”

Sungmin let his head fall back as the younger flung himself next to him to hear more about Kyuhyun and Sungmin supposed love.

 

**

 

Hangeng was contemplating his chess board when Kyuhyun entered his tent. He immediately set it aside and beckoned Kyuhyun closer, pulling him to sit beside him.

“You came back.”

“I said I would.” Kyuhyun let the other man wrap himself around him. Silence engulfed them but neither said a word. They could hear the camp bustling outside the tent but it was muffled and seemed so far away.

“When did you change your mind and start to accept me?” Hangeng asked softly, yet his voice sounded loud in the quietness.

“Eighth Prince that is not important. What is important is that I have made my decision.” Kyuhyun couldn’t explain all the concerns he had without having to explain where he came from and he doubted Hangeng would believe him, half the time Kyuhyun doubted his own sanity and memory.

“I want you to call me Hangeng.”

“What?!” Kyuhyun sat up straight and stared wide eyed at the prince in shock. No one called the princes by their given names, not their wives, not their father, not even between themselves. Only their mothers could, and even then a few of the mothers deliberately distanced themselves from their sons as they got older. Why would he ask that?

“I want you to call me Hangeng, when we are alone and have no one attending us, except Minseok. I want someone to say my name to me.” Hangeng spoke slowly and carefully as if he had thought each word out a hundred times in his head before saying it aloud.

“Are you sure?” Kyuhyun asked nervously. This was a big deal; maybe Hangeng did love him enough to give up his bid to the throne. He just had to bide his time for the right moment.

“Yes,” the prince looked at Kyuhyun with expectant eyes and Kyuhyun felt compelled to say the name that he had always called the other man in his mind.

“Okay… Hangeng.”

The smile that broke on Hangeng’s face was mirrored by an equally bright one on Kyuhyun’s.

 

**

 

Kyuhyun stood watching as Junsu pulled faces at him from the opposite side of the room. He was on duty and he tried to ignore his friend who was clearing trying to distract him. Kangin and Yunho had been chatting happily with Jaejoong and Junsu standing behind the Mongolian Prince’s chair. While Kyuhyun tried to take this opportunity to examine the fascinating General more fully he was unable to due to Junsu’s trying-to-be-subtle signing. It really wasn’t subtle at all.

“Your Highness, your son Junsu is very bold,” Kangin laughed.

Yunho turned to see Junsu trying to look innocent. “Your Majesty has embarrassed me!” Yunho looked more amused than annoyed at his son being caught not paying attention. “Unfortunately since Junsu was a child he has been spoiled, and it’s now too late to break him of this. He doesn’t know the meaning of the word ‘decorum’ or even ‘rules’.”

“Isn’t that how children of the grasslands are meant to be raised?” Kangin asked. “They are supposed to be wild and carefree. Though my son, too, knows nothing of protocols.” Kangin’s joke became barbed at a specific target. “He even chased the thief into the Mongolian camp.” Yoochun looked shamed as Kangin continued now serious. “He’s too impetuous.” Yunho looked serious as well as the incident from a few days ago was brought up. When he had heard that the Crown Prince had barged into his camp and searched it the way he had he had been furious. Jaejoong had spent the entire morning calming him but Kangin had still known that he was insulted the moment they had met.

Yoochun rose and bowed to both men, “That day I was worried about both Imperial Father and Your Highness’s safety. I feared that thieves had attacked the camps. I was driven by concern when I committed a grave wrong.” Yoochun smiled tightly as he said, “I hope Your Highness will forgive me.”

Yunho nodded as he realised this was the best apology he would receive from the proud Crown Prince. “It’s forgiven. After all for you should constantly be aware of the Emperor’s safety.”

“Crown Prince, you should learn from this incident.” Kangin added on to his friend’s speech.

“I will, Imperial Father, Your Highness,” Yoochun bowed once again and Kyuhyun could sense the tension that radiated off of the prince sitting to the side of his Imperial father.

Then he spotted Junsu who had once again started gesturing in his direction. He didn’t know how he hadn’t laughed, but he wished he could ask for a pay rise for his ability to keep a straight face.

 

**

 

A/N:

 

Yep. Hankyu is happening (are there any readers here for the HanKyu? Out of curiosity?). I’ll let all you wks rant now. Though this story was presented as a love triangle and Hankyu had to happen sooner or later. Also the Hankyu is important later on in the story. Look at it this way… the sooner HanKyu is over with and in the past, the sooner WonKyu can appear and be awesome *gets glared at by wks* *runs away*

So… put up the foreword of my next side story/prequel! The Season of Waiting is the yunjae story I mentioned last time. I had intense yunjae feels when I planned it out. (Just in case anyone was wondering I got the name from the OST of the original drama)

Also just in case anyone like EXO (anyone?) I am writing a werewolf fic. Eyes on the Moon is like a mini side project. Like miniscule but I was inspired after I read a load of omegaverse JohnLock fics… (any JohnLock fans? *feels small*)

Shameless self-promotion aside, aren’t you proud I updated again so soon? I am even writing the next chapter! I am forcing myself to write every day. Should get a chapter a week if I keep this up :D

BIG NEWS! This chapter marks me going over 100,000 words for this story! Does it feel like 100,000? Sometimes it feels more and sometimes it feels like less. Should I make bigger chapters? Or are these okay?

 

And! I'm in London again! I'm seeing Infinite's OGS London tonight! *runs around spazzing* Best 21st Birthday present ever! (Though I had to buy the ticket myself...) But seeing both my favourite Kyu's in one month is the like the best thing ever!