Chapter 23

Startling By Each Step

Chapter 23:

 

 

The Fourth Prince sat in the chair at the head of the council, the same seat that the Eighth Prince had occupied the last time the Emperor had visit Mongolia. He had arrived just after everyone else, followed closely by the Thirteenth Prince, Changmin. Yesung and Eunhyuk exchanged glances seeing how comfortable their elder brother was and how easily he made decisions. Their annoyed glances though became troubled as Siwon had Minster Mun read out some changes in government positions; several changes included many that were clear power plays - power plays against Hangeng, aimed at decreasing his influence. Many on the list were men who had pledged their support to Hangeng, men that Hangeng had spent time, money and effort to bring to his side. All of that was to be lost if these figures were to be moved to less influential and less useful positions, away from the capital, which is exactly what Siwon was doing as he had the list read out. Yesung felt his blood begin to boil, restraining himself from lashing out at the elder. There was no way that the elder didn’t know what he was doing; there was no doubt in Yesung’s mind that Siwon was doing this on the orders of someone else, and that someone else was likely to be Yoochun.

Siwon had always supported the Crown Prince, though no one knew why. Yesung already held Siwon in contempt due to his coldness and high handed attitude, following Yoochun made the elder prince even more loathsome.

“Despicable.” Yesung mumbled to Eunhyuk who was looking worried. Changmin glared from his seat by Siwon’s side.

“Did you have something to say Ninth Brother?” Siwon asked sharply.

“I was thinking that all these movements of officials are not needed.” Yesung spoke smoothly, as years of politics had taught him to do. “The vast amount will surely affect the running of the government.” He paused slightly. “Also I think someone is taking advantage while Imperial Father is not in the capital to get rid of threats and moving officials for personal reasons.”

“Who are you talking about Ninth Brother?” Changmin asked with barely controlled calm from across the room. “You are a man. You should speak frankly.”

Breaking a potential fight, the eldest brother cut in, “These changes were expressed by the ministers, and they represent Imperial Father’s wishes. I’m not doing anything for personal gain.”

Eunhyuk spoke out loudly, “But Imperial Father isn’t here! I think someone is trying to take advantage.”

“If you have suspicions,” Siwon had a voice that was firm and full of power, “you can wait for Imperial Father to come home and then you can ask him yourself.” His gaze pierced into the younger brother. He turned his speech to the room, “I have always been fair. I have and always will remain loyal to Imperial Father. I do not play favourites and if anyone accuses me of eradicating allies then they should know that I only eradicate those who are a hindrance to Imperial Father, those who are corrupt, those who use their position for personal gain.” He had started to pace up the room between the two lines of men, the atmosphere heavy and serious. “You must remember that Imperial Father has an intense dislike of forming groups or cliques. He dislikes patronage and anyone who allows it. Regardless of the position of the person, he would punish them most strongly if he discovered it.” He spoke the last line directly at the Ninth Prince. It was well known that Yesung was a gambler, that he liked to drink and he frequented the brothels and drinking dens of the capital almost as much as Changmin, and he spent money as if it were water.

Yesung wouldn’t allow himself to be shaken by the threat of his father finding out that he was accepting bribes and that he himself handed them out. His father wouldn’t harm him, and he wasn’t doing anything that 9 out of 10 ministers were doing themselves. Siwon was involving himself in business that didn’t concern him and it made him hate his elder brother even more.

Having sat back down, the Fourth Prince asked, “Where is Sungmin? He was supposed to be here.”

“He is ill,” Yesung’s tongue was full of thinly veiled contempt and poison.

“I hope he gets better soon,” Siwon’s voice warned of the line the other was toeing.

 

 

 

“I’m going to see him.”

“Who?” Siwon asked, inquiring due to frustration Changmin was exuding. If it wasn’t someone that Changmin wanted to talk about, he would not have brought this future visit up with his older brother.

“Fourteenth Brother.”

“Why would you do that?”

“He needs to stop hiding in his house and not coming to council meetings. He needs to stop disrespecting you so obviously. You are both born of the same mother, you are blood brothers! He will ruin your relationship completely if he continues as he has been doing,” Changmin let loose all his feelings.

Siwon sighed deeply before turning to his brother from his position at the table. “Because he is my brother, I ask you not to go.”

“Why? Someone needs to talk to him!” Changmin was confused.

“I’m worried that you won’t find him at his estate.” Siwon spoke softly, they had been taught that every wall had an ear. “And if you don’t find him, the problem might spread as others hear of it.”

“You mean…” Changmin approached his brother, lowering his voice as the indignation left him. “You think he has gone to see Eighth Brother? In direct disobedience of Imperial Fathers orders? He could get killed!”

Changmin looked furious but kept this to himself at his brothers look. Siwon continued, “That is why you cannot go looking for him. Let it go, little brother.”

The younger released a strangled bark of laughter at the ignorance of his brothers, they were so eager to pain their Fourth Brother as a villain, as a toady of the Crown Prince. Little did they realise how often he saved them from themselves.

A soft knock from the door heralded the entrance of Qian with a tray, “Greetings, Fourth Prince, Thirteenth Prince.”

“Rise,” Changmin beckoned her over. “We need refreshments.” Before adding, “I will one day explode with everything I hold in!”

“I would be sorely disappointed if you ever exploded,” Qian quipped as she handed each of the men a cup.

“Will you sing for us?” Changmin asked, wanting distraction from his annoyance.

“No. I came to tell you that Lee Sunho has come to speak to you.” Changmin frowned but nodded, getting up and following her to the door.

“You have to sing for me later though, you know it always soothes me,” Changmin whispered into her ear before kissing her swiftly on the lips. Siwon pretended the tapestries were very interesting.

 

 

 

Not 5 minutes later, Lee Sunho was bowing to both of the princes. “Master, Thirteenth Prince.”

Siwon was taking advantage of Changmin’s links with several taverns around the city, and had for the past few years taken several meetings disguised as patronising them. This way no one would know who he was meeting and what about. Qian was loyal to Changmin, she escorted all the men and only her most trusted servers entertained them, if that was needed. Here they could be in as much private that being a prince allowed. No one, Siwon was sure, knew exactly who worked for him and he was a lot more careful than his brothers. He only had a few supporters, though he disliked the idea of them being his supporters, each were incredibly loyal, hardworking, honest and fair. He judged each aspect of a man before he approached him offering friendship. He trusted them all, which was more than he could say for his brothers’ followers.

“You’ve become thinner, has Fourth Brother been working you too hard?”

“No, Thirteenth Prince. Your brother is very fair and it is an honour to work for him. The work isn’t hard and I appreciate everything he has done for me.”

“You have done well. As soon as I can, I plan to make you the Governor of Sichuan.” Siwon said, taking a sip of his drink as the other man bowed again.

“I wouldn’t dare to hope for such a position. I have been grateful for everything you have done for me; saving me from execution when I was innocent. When Eighth Prince abandoned me, I thought I would die and my family would be ruined. I owe you my life and eternal gratitude, I will do anything that you wish me to do. I do not ask for rewards such as this position.” Siwon shifted uncomfortably at the mention of his brother.

Sunho had been a small member of Hangeng’s clique, officially under his protection. Except when someone had accused Sunho of embezzlement of the treasury, Hangeng turned his back and disavowed knowledge. Sunho had been sitting in jail when Siwon had heard of his plight, on knowing Sunho and believing him to be an honest man, he looked into the supposed crime more deeply. He realised that it was not Sunho, but one of his colleagues that had been stealing. Sunho was restored and since been dedicated to his new ‘Master’.

“If my brother plans to make you Governor of Sichuan, it doesn’t mean that you are no longer working for him. You will be our eyes and ears. It may even be more work than you currently do.” Changmin rose, eying the older man that was before him.

“I am not afraid of work. Hard work is a good thing.” Sunho’s voice was nervous as the prince came closer.

“Do not .” Siwon spoke sharply at the youngest. The atmosphere turned more serious as the elder prince asked, “Sunho, have you discovered any contact between my Eighth Brother and ministers from different areas?”

Sunho came closer and dropped his voice, “Actually I found more than just contact.”

 

 

After Sunho left, Siwon started to get ready to leave as well. He had a lot on his mind.

“Will you not stay for a few drinks?” Changmin asked, as he did every time.

“You know I dislike drinking.”

“You dislike the loss of control. I wonder sometimes what you would be like drunk.” Changmin teased the elder.

“Unluckily for you, I never plan to let you see,” Siwon teased back. His demeanour and tone would have surprised his other brothers, none of whom had ever seen their Fourth Brother relax.

“Lee Sunho is a good man.” Changmin changed the subject abruptly. “You should make sure not to lose him. Good men are hard to find.”

“I don’t plan to lose him. I will be marrying his younger brother before the New Year.” Changmin’s eyes rose in surprise.

“I didn’t know you planned to marry again, at least not til you managed to charm a certain someone.”

“That certain someone constantly avoids and ignores me. I have no idea what he is thinking.” Siwon frowned. “He confuses me. I don’t think he likes me.”

“He always treats you differently to the other princes; only Imperial Father gets better treatment than you do!” Changmin protested but he stopped knowing that this was a sore point for his brother.

“Besides, I would like to bind all of my allies to me. Especially the ones I see being useful in the future. Plus his brother is beautiful and courteous. I think he would get on well with my Di’fujin.”

“Your Di’fujin gets on with everyone,” Changmin joked. “Unlike mine!”

Siwon shook his head, “Lady Soojung comes from a good family. Also if you paid her more attention, you may not have so much trouble.”

“I never asked to be married to her. If I could have prevented it, I would have.” Changmin spoke bitterly though both knew that they couldn’t prevent a marriage that their father had arranged for them. They both heard the soft knock from earlier.

“I will go now.” Siwon rose as Qian entered the room. “Goodnight Lady Qian, Thirteenth Brother.” He closed the door firmly behind him.

 

 

 

**

 

A/N: Short, but the next chapter will be longer. I thought about making this longer, but I really couldn’t think of what else to add. This was more a little insight of what is happening back in the capital while everyone is away.

Everyone thinks Siwon is a toady (love that word – say it out loud and try and disagree with me). Siwon is trying to protect his brothers from getting into trouble while being loyal to his father (not Yoochun like some people think).

Also if anyone thought that Siwon was unmarried, sorry he is, and yes, he has children. He is older than all the others, so that means that Kangin must have given him a wife sometime, plus he has more than one. Changmin is also married, he just doesn’t pay much attention to his wife.

*big deep breath*

Just to reassure whoever is still reading this – this is a main!wonkyu story. I know it doesn’t seem like it… in fact I think you are probably all thinking that I am lying to you. I promise I am not! Everything that happens adds to their relationship later. It will all build up to a beautiful wonkyu romance (I hope).

*shuffles off awkwardly*