Shopping with Youngjae

CYOA

 

You close your eyes, feeling the weight of the two backpacks on your hands. You wonder why is it so hard to pick a present for your own brother.

“Hey~ Just pick one already. They’re the same model, just different colors,” Youngjae whines.

You shot him a look and he stops whining. As soon as you close your eyes again, he starts mumbling to himself once more. You decide to take the black one, thinking that it’s a neutral color. You head straight to the cashier and pay.

“Oppa, I’m done!” you announce.

Youngjae smiles widely, “Finally! I thought we’re going to spend the rest of our life here. Let’s go somewhere fun!”

You nod and the two of you waltz out of the shop, welcomed by the busy throng of other shoppers.

Youngjae suddenly pulls you close and you miss a middle-aged man’s flying briefcase by a few inches. “Watch where you’re going,” he cautions you, taking your hand in his.

You try to shake your hand free, but Youngjae just tightens his grip. You look up. Youngjae looks contented, as if he had done the greatest prank ever. Before long, the two of you pick a cafe where Youngjae orders ice tea and you, a soda float.

Youngjae puts his head between his palms and looks at you, “Hmmm it sure is nice to spend a day with a lovely little sister.”

“Don’t try to act cute,” you warn him, poking his arm with a spoon.

“Aww even when you’re mad you still look adorable.”

“Don’t,” you stare at him, to prove how serious you are, “Or I’ll tell Daehyun oppa.”

“Ah, you guys keep bullying me! Okay, okay. Sorry,” he backs away with his hands held up, “I don’t usually go out with younger girls, you see.”

You feel your eyebrows wrinkle automatically, “We’re not going out. You’re just here to help me pick a gift, right? Aren’t I just your friend’s sister?” You pause for a second, ”You always date older women?”

Youngjae laughs, “That’s not incorrect, but that’s not what I meant.”

The waitress appears with both of your orders, then she leaves you and Youngjae who fell silent. You think hard about what Youngjae just said. Which question was he answering? You eye the guy sitting in front of you. He’s now busy with his tea and sugar. There’s no way you’ll be able to ask for an explanation now. 

Youngjae’s eyes meet yours, and he starts talking about something else. You try to pay attention to the conversation but your mind is somewhere else.

“Hey,” Youngjae put his tea down, “Are you tired? Shall we go now?”

You nod quietly, and the two of you ride Youngjae’s motorbike home. You feel a huge sense of relieve when your house come in to view. 

There’s someone standing in front of the humble gate, and you squint your eyes to see better.

It’s Choi Junhong.

And he’s looking straight at you, his face somehow tense.

“I’m here to give you your notes back,” he explains before you could ask, ing a pile of colorful notebooks into your hands.

“Oh, thank you, Junhong,” you say, giving him your brightest smile.

But Junhong isn’t looking at you. He’s staring at Youngjae, who’s staring back at him. The temperature around you must’ve dropped a few degrees. 

 

What are you going to do, Hyunae?

[11] I should invite Junhong inside to warm up. It’s too cold outside.

[13] I’ll tell Junhong to go home as soon as possible. It’s getting dark