A Mysterious Past

CYOA

 

“Ah, you guys are--” Daehyun stops when he notices the extra pair of feet, “Who’s this?”

“Oppa, this is Choi Junhong, my classmate,” you explain, Junhong bowing beside you “he came to deliver back some notes.”
Daehyun scans Junhong from top to bottom, definitely amused by his incredible height. “Well, then, nice to meet you. I’m Hyunae’s older brother.” Daehyun sticks out his right hand, “Come inside.”

Junhong seems to be caught off-guard by Daehyun’s sudden invitation for a handshake. He hesitates a moment before welcoming his senior’s hand.

You follow your brother to the living room, Youngjae and Junhong trudging along behind you. Daehyun disappears into the kitchen to prepare food while the rest of you sit down.

“How are you, Junhong?” Youngjae asks, an edge on his voice.

“Fine, hyung. How about you?” Junhong responds with an equal chill.

“Hey, you guys know each other?” you ask.

“Yes, we know each other,” Youngjae smirks, eyes still on Junhong.

“From a long time ago,” Junhong continues.

You don’t know how to respond to that. The room fell into an awkward silence. You wish your brother would appear any time soon now. Why is he taking so long?

Daehyun finally comes out of the kitchen, cans of soda in hand, “Here we go--”

“I think I’m going back now,” Youngjae says all of a sudden.

“Huh? Why?” you ask, confused, “Aren’t you going to have dinner with us?”

“Nah. I’ll eat at home,” Youngjae stands up and pats your head, “Just give mine to that guy over there.” He walks briskly to the door, Daehyun following closely behind.

The front door opens and you hear your brother’s voice calling out to Youngjae, “Youngjae? Is something the matter?”

You can’t hear his answer because of the distance. You fix Junhong at the end of your gaze, silently interrogating him.

“What?” Junhong asks as if he has read your mind.

“What’s up with you and Youngjae oppa?”

Junhong raises his eyebrows, “Oppa? What’s up with him and you?”

You shrug “He’s my brother’s friend.”

“He was my friend too,” Junhong says quietly, “Was. In a twisted way.”

“I’m listening.”

“This has got nothing to do with you,” Junhong snaps, “Something happened along the way, but it’s all in the past now. Let’s just leave it at that.”

Junhong’s sharp tone takes you aback. This is your first time seeing Junhong so serious. You don’t like this bitter version of him. You try your best not to frown while the hush settles in. You hear the front door opens and Daehyun walks in.

“Youngjae is just tired so he’s going home early,” Daehyun tells you, and probably Junhong too, “Why don’t we eat now? Dinner’s ready.” And he leads the way into the kitchen.

Junhong taps your shoulder and whisper midway, “Hey.”

“What is it?”

“I’m sorry,” Junhong’s voice softens, “I didn’t mean to freak out, okay? I’d feel bad if whatever I had with Youngjae hyung jeopardizes whatever you have with him right now.”

“I doubt that’ll happen so just tell me everything,” you shot him a look.

Junhong chuckles, “It’s not going to be that easy.”

The two of you sit down at the dining table, Daehyun running around with plates. Whatever happened with Junhong and Youngjae must’ve been something major, and you’re dying to know more. But right now, the sight of Junhong’s dimple is much better than him flaring up at you once more.

 

Proceed to [...]