Walking to School

CYOA

You decided to walk to school by yourself like usual. The disappointment in Youngjae’s eyes was obvious, but it’d be bothersome if someone from school saw you with a guy on a motorbike. 

As you walk, you feel a faint chill. You pull your cardigan a bit tighter. Sure enough, someone slaps you on the back and lets out a victorious cry.

“Choi Junhong!!” you scream as your classmate laughs gleefully.

He jumps off his skateboard and greets you with a loud, obnoxious “Good morning!”

“Why are you so cheerful when it’s so early? And why are you not late?”

“Hey, I’m not always late, okay? My mom is forcing me to wake up earlier lately. And I’m always cheerful, not just in the morning.”

“Good for you then”

The two of you walk side by side in for a while. You wonder why Junhong is even there, talking to you. It’s not like you two don’t get along. It’s just.. weird. He’s usually running around and breaking things, while you’re always mantaining a peaceful air.

People probably thought you are an odd combo too, apparently, judging from their bewildered looks when you approach school.

Yongguk songsaenim is outside the gate, checking for undiscipline students. His eyes lit up when he sees you and Junhong walking together.

“Howdy!” he greets you both. You reply with another howdy while Junhong just makes a face.

You know Yongguk from long ago. Yongguk is your and Daehyun’s cousin, but of course you keep it a secret here. He’s a new P.E. teacher in your school. He likes to keep opinions to himself, but he has an aura people couldn’t ignore.

A head pops out beside Yongguk’s. It’s Himchan songsaenim’s. You know him quite well too. The two of them are about the same age as your older sister, and the three of them had been the best of friends. Himchan enrolled as a teacher the same time as Yongguk, and he’s now your art teacher. He also tutors you piano on weekends.

He makes a sour face when he sees Junhong, “No flirting!”

“No one’s flirting!” Junhong shots back. You see the tip of his pale ear reddened a bit.

“Yeah, no flirting. Especially with exams around the corner. I’m sure you’re prepared, right, Junhong?” Yongguk taunts.

Junhong pouts, “Of course I am. I’m also prepared for tomorrow’s match, you know, Coach. Just wait and see!”

“Wait. There’s going to be a basketball match?” you blurt out.

“Yes, Hyunae,” Junhong turns to look at you, now all-smiles, “You should come to the basketball court! It’s going to be great. I’m sure our school is going to win this match. I can feel it in my bones!”

You nod quietly. Wow. Maybe it’d be a good idea to watch the basketball match tomorrow. You feel like preparing lunch boxes. You only know two people from the basketball team.

 

Which one are you going to give lunch to, Hyunae?

[5] Junhong, I think, because he’s being really nice today! 

[7] That Moon Jongup whose innocent smile every girl keeps talking about, of course! It’s your golden chance!