There's Nothing We Can Do

CYOA

 

“Oppa,” you knock on the door to Daehyun’s room, “are you busy?”

“Nope,” a voice answers from inside, “Come in. It’s not locked.”

You slowly open the door and find Daehyun sitting on the floor, notebooks scattered around him, headphones dangling around his neck. He signals you to sit on the bed. You do as he silently told you and watch your brother rummage through some paper, probably looking for something.

“Oppa,” you begin, “something happened earlier. With Himchan oppa.”

Daehyun stops shuffling stuff around. “What do you mean? Did he do something to you?”

“No no no no,” you shake your head, “It’s not like that. You see.. Himchan oppa mistook me as Mikyung unni...”

Deep creases appear between his brows, “Himchan hyung? Noona?”

“Yes,” you roll over to your tummy and bury your face in a pillow, “Do you know anything about Himchan oppa and Mikyung unni?”

Daehyun doesn’t answer for a while. Curious, you look up and see him sitting with a blank expression.

“Oppa?”

“Oh. Sorry. I was just thinking about noona.”

“What about her?”

“Hyunae,” Daehyun takes a deep breath, “I think Himchan hyung liked noona. And her feelings were mutual, too.”

“I’ve figured that much. They were best friends, weren’t they? With Yongguk oppa too?”

“Yes, they were,” Daehyun says quickly, “But I’m not talking about that kind of ‘like’, okay.”

“Uh.... huh...”

“Maybe Himchan hyung still likes her.”

“But Mikyung unni..”

“Yes. I know,” Daehyun looks up to the ceiling, “It must’ve been hard for her up there, too. But some people just have a hard time letting go.”

“Poor Himchan oppa...”

“Poor noona too.”

“What should we do, then?”

“Frankly, there’s nothing we can do,” he looks down at his hands, “It’s not a matter that we can just meddle in.”

“Really? There’s really nothing? Not even a little bit?” you look down as well.

“Nope,” Daehyun goes back to his pile of notebooks, “This is something that only Himchan hyung alone can deal with.”

You watch him for a while before heading out the room with a “Hmph”. Right when you’re about to turn the doorknob, Daehyun calls out.

“Hyunae,” he says, “maybe it’s better if you stop hanging around him for a while.”

You take a deep breath and go out, eyeing your brother before you close the door. Daehyun is back to shuffling paper, but his eyes are still blank.

 

Proceed to [...]