A Lunch for Jongup

CYOA

 

You look down to the basketball court and see your school’s basketball team on the edge of collapsing. 

You can feel the distress emitting from your schoolmates. Everyone is squirming in their seat. There are just a few minutes left, and some people are already packing their bags. Your school is losing.

Sure enough, the referee blows his whistle and the foe school cheers. The spectators from your side of the bleachers go down, some go straight to the exit while others stop to cheer the basketball team up first.

You scan the court carefully and spot Moon Jongup sneaking his way out. You quickly run after him, and feel a gaze burning your back on your way. You turn to see whose it is, but there’s no one, though you think you caught a glimpse of Junhong.

“Excuse me! Sunbaenim!”

Jongup turns his head around. He looks tired, but he smiles when he see who’s panting behind him. “Yes?”

“I... I want to talk to you for a moment!”

“Okay.”

“C-can we sit somewhere?”

“Oh? Yes. Of course. Come here,” he walks ahead of you.

You silently follow him. You feel your heart beating faster as Jongup sits down on a bench and motions you to do the same. He looks at you expectantly.

“I-it was a great game.”

“No, it wasn’t,” Jongup chuckles, “our team lost.”

“Yes!” you sit up straight, “But. You did your best. I-I mean. You always do. And. It. Can also be a motivation. And. It’s not an official match. Y-you just got a chance. I mean, to observe your future opponent.”

Jongup laughs, “You have a really weird manner of speech, you know?”

“Yes... sunbaenim.”

“Drop the -nim, okay. You can relax a bit. And anyway, it’s good to have someone to talk to,” he lets out a sigh, “Everyone will probably blame me now since I’m the captain.”

“No! I don’t think so!” you exclaimed, surprised by the power of your own voice, “You’re a great captain, and I saw you calculating and deciding steps as good as you could! There are.. Your opponent just had a surprise factor, I think. I.. That’s my opinion. You’re not a bad captain.”

Jongup laughs again. He seems surprised. Or maybe he’s just too tired to deal with you.

“Oh,” you remember something. You reach down to your backpack and present him a lunch box, “I made lunch for you.”

This time he looks more amused than surprised. “Wow, thank you so much. Is it okay if I eat it now?”

You’re about to nod when a loud “Hyunae!” thunders. You see Junhong at the end of the corridor. “Let’s celebrate our lost somewhere!” There are deep creases between his brows.

Jongup’s smile widens. “Is that your friend? You should go now.”

“R-right,” you stutter, getting your things back together clumsily. You turn your heels toward Junhong, but Jongup stops you.

“Before you go, what’s your name and class?”

“Hyunae. Jung Hyunae, 1-B”

“Noted.”

You take one last look at Jongup, wondering what’s up with the cold attitude. Maybe it’s just because he’s tired. Or maybe it’s the real Jongup behind his smiles. You start walking in Junhong’s direction. Either way, you feel like punching yourself for being so nervous.

 

Proceed to [10]