Lying Comes Easy

CYOA

 

“Do you always clean the music room after school?” Jongup asks.

“N-nope,” you lie with a smile, “Just today. Because.. the teacher is busy right now.”

“Hmm... That means you don’t know who usually plays the piano here, I suppose.”

“Yes, sunbae, I- don’t have any idea. In fact, this is the first time I’ve even heard about it.”

Jongup’s face fell. “Could it be a ghost?”

“P-pardon me?”

“I’m just kidding,” he smiles again. He reached for his voice recorder, “If you’re cleaning up now, there’ll be nothing to record for today.”

“I’m sorry..”

“Hey, why are you sorry? It’s okay,” he laughs, putting the recorder back to his bag, “You’re so weird. But in a good way,” he says as he pats your stiff shoulder, “I’ll be going first then. See you, Hyunae!” And with that, he went out the door.

You feel your whole body going limp.You curse yourself for being able to lie so easily. But at least Jongup is still friendly to you. You decided that you should go back earlier, just in case he’ll linger around to listen. You quickly gather your things and lock the music room door.

“Hyunae? Is something the matter?” Yongguk asks when you meet him back in the teacher’s room.

“No, songsaenim, I just feel a bit tired,” you answer, tossing the key to Himchan’s desk, “I’m going back.”

“Be careful!” you hear Yongguk calling out to you, but you’re already running down the corridor.

You keep on running until you reach home. You fumble for keys, but then realize you’re not calm enough to hold onto anything. You ring the bell countless times before Daehyun opens the door.

“Hyunae? Why are you home ear--”

You run past him, not even volunteering to say hello, to the sofa, where you plop on to your tummy and scream into a down pillow.

“What the heck?!” you hear Youngjae, who you didn’t realize is there in the living room, yells.

You pull your head up and yell back, half whining, “Youngjae oppa!!”

“What’s going on? Why are you two yelling?” Daehyun yells too.

You take a deep breath. “Jongup sunbae was so nice and I lied to him and I feel so bad over such a tiny lie but it’s about something that matters to him -I think- and if I didn’t lie he probably wouldn’t want to befriend me because I might seem vain and I don’t want that, I mean, I really want to be friends with Jongup sunbae!”

“Wait wait wait wait,” Youngjae holds up a palm, “Who’s this Jongup sunbae?”

“It’s a guy she likes,” Daehyun explains darkly.

Youngjae’s eyes widen in amusement, “Whoaa Hyunae has a guy she likes?”

You throw the downpillow in his direction and pull another one to bury your face in to.

“Calm down, now,” Daehyun says as he your hair.

“It’s not a big deal actually,” you say, voice muffled, “I just feel bad for lying.”

“It’s okay. If you can’t stand the guilt, you can explain yourself sooner or later,” Daehyun replies.

“How?” you ask into the pillow, “He’d probably hate me.”

“Oh God, you’re so pure! Of course! Guys don’t like to be lied to, you know,” Youngjae utters matter-of-factly.

You groan. Daehyun must’ve shot him a killer look because Youngjae falls silent.

“I know,” Youngjae says finally, “You must first make him like you too, so he couldn’t be mad at you whatever happened.”

You pull your head up once again and look at Youngjae.

“I’ll help you steal his heart.”

 

Proceed to [...]