A Lunch for Junhong

CYOA

 

Even though you don’t really get basketball, at least you know that your school is just a goal away from winning, and there’s only a few seconds left.

You see Junhong with the ball, struggling to get away from an opponent’s block. Everyone watching the game is screaming and yelling, and you can’t handle it anymore. Almost instinctively, you shut your eyes.

The screams and yells suddenly turn into cheers and you quickly see what’s happening. Apparently, your school scored at the very last moment, and the players down on the court are now patting someone on the back.

The spectators all get down to celebrate with the team. You’re one of the few that hold back for a moment. From the bleachers you can see girls especially crowding around Junhong, who towers above them all.

Junhong’s eyes meet yours and he gives a tiny wave, which you gladly return. He ignores the people around him and runs in your direction.

“Did you see? Did you see? I saved our school!” he exclaimed.

You laugh at Junhong’s antics, not mentioning that you had your eyes closed that time. You reach down to your backpack and take out a bottle of water, “You’re thirsty, aren’t you?”

“Thank you!” Junhong accepts the bottle and sits down beside you, “and also, thank you for coming. I didn’t expect you to actually come.”

“Um.. So it’s better if I didn’t come?”

“No! No! That’s not it! It’s just.. I didn’t think this is your kind of thing, you know.”

You give him a mishievous smile, “Well, you’re wrong. Anyway, I brought you lunch.”

“Oh!” Junhong’s eyes lit up, “You made it yourself? Wow, this is really great!” Then he pauses, “Wait, this is not poisoned isn’t it?”

“Hey!” you give him a nudge, “that’s not nice!”

You both fell into a comfortable silence as Junhong takes his first bite. And then second. And then third.

“Aren’t you going to tell me how delicious it is?”

“Huh? It’s delicious, alright. I’m sorry, I’m just really hungry right now.”

You chuckle to yourself, watching Junhong eat some more. 

“You know, Hyunae, you’re really talented,” Junhong suddenly says, his eyes fixed on the thinning crowd, “and you’re nice, too. Unlike me. I sometimes wish my scores were as good as yours. We sit next to each other, but it’s like we’re in different schools.”

You stay silent for a moment before speaking up, “Well, our ways of studying are probably different, you know. You should try studying more, maybe?”

Junhong turns and looks at you, a gleam in his eyes, “Then, why don’t we study for the exams together this weekend? You can teach me a lot of stuff, that’s for sure!”

 

What do you say, Hyunae?

[9] “Of course, I’d be glad to!”

[8] “I have piano lessons this weekend...”