After Lessons

CYOA

 

“You missed a note.”

The sharp, cold tone in Himchan’s voice makes you stop. It was a hard and fast-paced piece. Even if you’re already familiar with the piano keys, it’d take at least two tries to get everything right. Your face contorts into something ugly. 

“Once more. From the top.”

You hate this part of Himchan, but at the same time, you like it too. At least it’s better than his constant teasing.

“I’m tired.”

“We’ll end today’s lessons after you get everything right.”

You take a deep, dramatic breath, and prepare yourself to play the piece once more. Fortunately, you get the notes right this time, and Himchan finally smiles for the first time today.

“You played it slower than it’s supposed to be. But that’s enough for today.”

You reach for a glass of water. You always have your piano tutorings with Himchan in the building that Himchan’s family owns. They have courses and lessons on musical instruments of all kinds. Some of your shoolmates attend lessons here, too, but you’re a special case. If it’s not because of your families’ close relationship, you wouldn’t be here with Himchan for free.

“Hey,” Himchan calls out, “we’re going shopping together after this, right?”

“Mm hmm” you mumble between gurgling water.

After you square away your belongings, you and Himchan exit the building, heading for the shopping center.

“Any ideas on what to buy for Daehyun’s birthday?” he asks as you walk side by side.

You make a thinking gesture. “A soccer jersey, maybe.”

“Ha!” Himchan jeers, “Do you even know soccer? You don’t even do sports!”

“Of course I know soccer! I may not look like it, but I excercise a lot too, you know.”

“Oh yeah?” Himchan sticks out his tongue out, “Bet you can’t even run right.”

You pull a face and punches Himchan’s arm. “I’ll prove to you! Let’s see who can get to the sports store faster!” you shout, starting to run down the road.

“Hey! Wait!” you hear Himchan’s voice faintly as you put more distance between the two of you.

You keep running and-- SCREEEEE

“Bastard!”

You wince and see a guy kicking the front of a white van, a meter from where you just stopped running. The van almost hit crossing pedestrians. Fortunately, you haven’t stepped down from the sidewalk, but it happened so near from you, you can’t help feeling shocked.

“Hyunae!” a shout brings you back to reality. You realize a crowd start forming to see what’s happening. The guy is still cursing and pointing at the van’s driver.

“Hyunae!” you turn and see Himchan, running towards you.

Without warning, he hugs you tight.

“Oh my God. Oh my God. I heard people screaming. What happened? Are you alright?”

“No, oppa,” you say, wriggling to free yourself from Himchan’s hug, “I’m fine. I didn’t even--”

You stop midway. You feel something. Himchan is trembling. He’s trembling hard. And in between sobs, you hear him saying something.

“Mikyung. Mikyung. Oh God, Mikyung.”

A chill runs up your spine.

Mikyung is your older sister.

 

What are you going to do, Hyunae?

 

[12] I should tell Daehyun oppa as soon as I get home

[15] I should ask Himchan oppa about this when I meet him again