Square One

CYOA

“Good morning, Princess!”

You look up to see Daehyun, your older brother by 3 years, standing by the kitchen counter with a plate of pancakes in hand. He smiles, puts down the plate on the table, and comes over to take you by the shoulders.

“Still sleepy?” he asks.

You give a little uh huh and sit down to eat while Daehyun starts brushing your brown hair.

“Oppa, you should stop doing that. I’m not a baby anymore,” you protest, moving your head slightly.

“Nope. I’ll keep doing this until you find another guy who would do it in my stead,” he insists, pushing your head softly to its original position.

You frown at his words. “That’d be another million years from now.”

“Nonsense,” Daehyun laughs, “How about that fellow Moon Jongup?”

“HEY!” you jerk your head far away from your brother, “Where did you even hear his name?”

“Didn’t you talk about him on the phone with your friend Sung hi?”

“Were you eavesdropping??” you can feel your face getting red.

“Hell no,” Daehyun’s shoulders shake with laughter, “You were squealing his name out for the whole neighborhood to hear.”

“Shut up!” you flick a spoonful of peanut butter at his direction.

“Hey! Not cool,” he protests, “Imagine what Mom and Dad would say if they saw us like this. Not to mention noona!” The doorbell suddenly rings. “Now what??”

You continue eating your breakfast while your brother goes out to open the door. You look up, silently apologizing to your parents and older sister for acting rudely to Daehyun. A few moments later, you hear your brother’s and another familiar voice as they enter the kitchen.

“Hyunae!”

“Youngjae oppa!” you reply cheerfully.

It’s Daehyun’s childhood friend. They’re always together, and even now they’re also in the same university. He comes by often, but usually he comes for dinner. For him to appear so early in the morning is quite rare.

“Why are you here?”

“We’re going to review a few materials together before today’s test,” Youngjae answers.

“Oh. You guys are going to have a test today? Good luck!”

“Well, there’s still plenty of time for us to prepare ourselves,” Daehyun butts in, looking at his watch, “Youngjae, why don’t you take Hyunae to school first with your new motorcycle?”

You catch a glint in Youngjae’s eyes. “Really? Can I?”

“Oppa, do I really have to?” you whine at Daehyun.

“Isn’t it faster that way?” he counters, “But it’s all up to you, though.”

“So, how about it, Hyunae?” Youngjae asks with a smile, “Want me to take you to school?”

 

Yeah, what are you going to do Hyunae?

[3] I’ll just decline the offer and walk to school by myself

[4] I want to try riding Youngjae oppa’s motorbike!