Deadly Secrets

Beautiful Stranger

Listen

 

As much as I’ve tried not to dwell on it, it’s been affecting me too much. And by it, I mean the dream. Why would I kill him? And like that? It was so rough and angry. As if he hurt me by some chance.

Taemanry snaps me out my thoughts. “Zara?”

“Hmm?” I look up from the cereals in the aisle.

“You’ve been staring at the cereals for 15 minutes, are you ok?”

I wave off his worry. “Of course,” I pick a random box and put it in the cart. “Is that it?”

He nods.

I smile and we walk up to the cash register. Getting there, we pass by the milk section and out of habit, I grab a handful of banana milks and casually toss them into the cart as well. I hum as the ahjumma rings it up.

“Banana milk?” Taemanry holds it up in awe.

“Yeah,” I nod, not understanding what’s so great about it.

“How did you know I liked banana milk?”

*awkward moment* “....Luck, I guess?”

He smiles and kisses my cheek quickly.

“And that will be...”

Once we reach back home, Taemanry grabs one of the banana milks and happily drinks it.

I watch him, a stern look on my face. “Taemanry~?”

He looks up from his drink. “Nae?”

“Why do you act so cute lately?”

He chuckles. “Is there something wrong with that?”

I shrug. “I dunno. I just miss the old you.”

He smirks, putting his bottle down. “And why is that?” he walks towards me.

I shrug. “I don’t know. Cute’s boring.”

“Oh, look who brought you to the dark side,” he smiles, proud of himself.

I laugh. “No, it’s not that. I-”

He puts his finger on my lips. “I heard what I wanted to hear. Nothing can convince me otherwise.”

I bite his finger.

“Ow,” he shakes his finger, pulling a small black box out of his pocket. With a “L” on it.

“Taemanry, what is that?” I ask, curiously.

“Chocolate that helps you remember stuff,” he says, popping one in his mouth.

“Why are you taking one?” I ask, reaching for one.

He casually puts it back into his pocket. “So I can be a bad boy for you again,” he smiles.

I roll my eyes, smiling. “Can I has one?”

“Only if you can grab it,” he teases.

Before he can finish saying that, I reach into his pocket, pull the box out, and get a chocolate. “Mm, it’s good,” I smile. Tastes familiar.

He nods. “You know what I like the best about sharing chocolate?”

“What?” I ask, swallowing the last of it.

“Kisses,” he says, before planting one one me. Pulling back, he my lips and smirks. “How was that? Daring enough?”

I blink my eyes, my vision going hazy as I remember something like this happening before. I feel dizzy again and struggle to keep standing. The images flash in my head of Taemanry-back when I knew him as black haired Taemin-smiling as he grabbed my hand.

“Enjoy your sleep, darling.” “Enjoy your sleep, darling.” “Enjoy your sleep, darling.”

“Taemin-manry. I mean,” I say, dizzily.

He tries to steady me by wrapping an arm around me. “Are you ok?”

“T-Taemanry, touch my cheek,” I say, the images still flashing.

He reaches up to touch it, when even before he makes contact, I feel as if slapped.

The sting goes through the right side of my face and I feel tears spring to my eyes at the sudden pain. At the same time, I feel intense pressure on my wrists as if someone was squeezing them with all their might and a pain runs up my spine. I crumple in Taemanry’s arms.

“Zara!”

His voice rings in my ears and finally the images come together like a moving film. I remember all the past that I’ve been suppressing. And then I ask myself: how can I love someone who hurt me so much? I push past him. “How could you do that to me?!”

He looks at me, confused. “What did I do?”

“Did you forget? The times you would come and pretend to be Taemin? But you’d be harsh and cruel to me. Did you forget that?”

He looks for words to say, speechless. “Zara, I-I’m not like that anymore. I love y-”

I slap him. “No! Get out!”

“Zara-”

“NOW.”

He looks at me sadly, but obediently walks out the door.

“When did my life get so....confusing?” I ask myself as I wipe the tears away.

                    +++

Author’s Note: Explanation for the readers which Zara won’t be able to get, cuz she was unconscious.

P.S. If you’re confused, the remembrance chocolate is something that the Lucifer stole from the Pinocchio. So ANYWAYS, it has different affects on people. With most people, you just remember thoughts. But with some people, i.e. Zara, you get the whole memory back, images, feelings, and everything. Taemanry never saw anyone have the 2nd reaction, hence the reason he reacted like that.

I sigh, unable to push the thoughts out. Why do I have to like her so much? She’s only supposed to be a prop. A way to get information. Why does she make me feel like that, so warm inside, even when she glares at me?

Zara walks over to me. “I’m going to sleep now. So you can go home,” and she starts to walk past me to get to her room.

“Wait,” I say, searching in my pockets. “Take this,” I say, opening the box of black chocolates. I check the lining of the chocolates to make sure it’s the right one.

“Chocolate?” she asks, confused, as she crosses her arms.

I nod and hand her one, revealing the small handwriting on the blue lining. Memory Suppression” Maybe she’ll be able to move past my previous wrongdoings.

She looks at me and it, alternating. “Umm...thanks?”

I nod. “I’ll just be going then.”

She nods, confusedly, bringing the chocolate to for a quick nibble. “Goodnight.”

I nod and walk towards the door. “See you tomorrow, then.”

And from Zara’s POV?

The door closes and I stare at the small chocolate. It was smooth and still solid, but something seemed weird about it. “There’s something wrong with this chocolate,” I say, walking into my room. It looked like rich people chocolate, and finally, I just ate it, because I was starting to get hungry. Lying in bed, I started to do my usual routine to fall asleep. But I never got to. Because the second I touch the pillow, I was knocked out.