Taking steps

Fate is Present

Taking steps

 

Tess was freaked out by all the stares she was getting from every one.
Of course she did have two camera men and four other people following her every step but hey, wasn't Seoul used to such things?

I guess it's because I'm not a celebrity. She thought as she bowed to yet another crowd of onlookers during her walk around the neighborhood market.

She was searching for ingredients for tonights meal as well as some gifts for her new dorm mates.
She had finally got online and searched for Super Junior on Naver. So now that she knew a few of the things the guys liked, she wanted to buy them a little something to show her appreciation for their acceptance.

As she crossed the street on the cross walk a few younger girls began following her along behind the film crew.

"Excuse me, are you Tess eonni? The one living with our Super Junior oppa's?" One of the girls asked tugging on her sleeve. The girl looked young and Tess had the impression she was trying to keep out of the view of the cameras, so she moved in front of her to block her face. The girl smiled at that and stepped back releasing her shirt.

"Yes. I am." Tess answered even as the director PD shook his head not to say.

"Really? Oh, would you take this eonni?" The girl said extending her hands.

Clasped in her fingers was a card with the girls name and phone number printed on it. Tess was amused that the girl had a business card, but took it none the less.

"I can't promise anything, but I'll take it."

She said and the girl nodded her head vigorously. She ran to her friends squealing and they all jumped up and down together before waving good bye, and running off in the other direction.

"Wow, I'm not even on the show but once and I have people recognizing me." Tess said looking down at the card.
She shook her head and put the card in her back pocket. They continued on to finish shopping and headed back to the dorms.

When she got back to the dorm Yesung was already there with Donghae watching a video stream from the computer of their last live event. The cameras cut off and the crew set about changing tapes, a few grumbling about being hungry.

Tess turned to them. "Would you all like for me to make you something for lunch?"

The director stared at her along with everyone else until he raised his hands, waving them back and forth. "We couldn't bother you for such a thing Tess-ssi." He said with a funny tone.

"It's no problem, just sit and wait for a little while. I'll fix something tasty. No one has allergies right?" Every one shook their heads to the negative.

The she turned to the two Suju members sitting on the couch. "Do you guys have a preference for lunch?"

Donghae smiled at her brightly. "Sun Dubu Jjigae?" Tess laughed and nodded. Good thing she'd gone to the market.

She went into the kitchen, followed by an eager Donghae.
He peered over her shoulder as she cooked, making comments about how much red pepper powder was needed and to put in lots of clams and pork.
Tess laughed and turned to find him closer than she expected. He just stood there blinking at her.

"Lee Donghae, I will make sure it's the best Sun Dubu Jjigae you have ever tasted, so go out there with Yesung-ssi and quit nagging!" She said in her mother tone.

Donghae pouted and slumped his shoulders as he walked slowly from the kitchen until she pushed him.


He laughed as he shuffled over to the sofa to plop down beside his Hyeong again. Yesung just shook his head with a large grin on his face.


Soon enough the food was ready and Tess pulled out two low tables and set them with the utensils, Japchae and bowls of rice. 

"It's done." 

As every one gathered around the tables she, wearing oven mitts, brought out the stew and placed it in the center on a hot pad. She pulled the top off the pot and everyone sniffed the bubbling red dish appreciatively.

"Whaa, Nuna, this is great!" Yesung said, sipping the broth. 

Donghae looked like he was tearing up. "It tastes' like my mothers." He said taking another spoon full.

Tess looked at him thoughtfully.  "That has to be the best compliment I have ever gotten Donghae-ssi."

Donghae looked up at her and blushed while smiling.

She was happy.
It seemed she was going to make some wonderful friends along her journey here in Seoul.

After they had eaten, Tess was washing the dishes and the filming crew stepped out to bring in some extra lighting.
Tess gathered up the trash and started to open the door in order to take it out when she heard her name spoken. Just on the other side of the door the directing PD and a camera man was talking quietly, but not so quietly she couldn't hear them.

"That was the first time someone offered to cook for the team while filming stuff like this." The camera man, Jung Hoonjae said with a laugh.

"Yeah, I wish the camera was running then too. Tess-ssi is surprising. That she can cook Korean dishes so well, I almost wish I wasn't married." The PD said.

They both chuckled and Tess, blushing hotly, slowly closed the door and walked back into the kitchen. She scratched the back of her head and went back to cleaning with a wide grin on her face.

"What's with her?" Donghae asked.

Yesung shrugged and pointed to the screen. "Look Hae, Heechul Hyeong's doing it again."

They watched the monitor, laughing, as Heechul's tongue slipped out of his mouth in slow motion.

 ~o0o~

 

Later, close to evening, all the guys except for Eeteuk, Eunhyuk and Shindong, were there once again. The other three were busy filming for the next Strong Heart episode.

"So we haven't got to hear about where in America you grew up."  Siwon said curling up in front of her with a pillow from Sungmin's bed.

They were all situated in the second dorm for once, and Tess was sitting on a bed in Sungmin and Kyuhyun's room, while the others either sat around her on the bed or in the floor. Heechul was sitting in the office chair twirling around every few minutes.

The cameras and staff were squeezed over in the corner by Kyuhyun's bed.

"Well, there isn't a lot to tell. I lived in a very small town in ia. It's hardly on the map." She laughed.

"Oh!" Heechul exclaimed suddenly. "Micky Yoochun lived in ia!" 

The others nodded and Tess just shrugged.
Heechul waved her on with a look of annoyance. She shot an eyebrow up at him and stuck out her tongue.
Like it was her fault she didn't know Korean idols.
She rolled her eyes at him and he glared at her.

The others had watched the whole exchange and were laughing and pointing at their group mate.

"Aish, Yah!" Hee chul shouted with a raised fist.

Every one looked back at Tess and she sighed. "Well it isn't a happy story. As a matter of fact, you guys might not like me much after you hear it." She said worried.

"Oh, you have to tell us now Nuna." Donghae said scooting closer from the edge of the bed. Siwon propped his chin up on Donghaes shoulder as she began her tale, hoping the viewers and production staff would understand as well.

"I was a child that wasn't allowed to be a child." She started.

That caught every one's attention. Even Heechul, who stopped spinning and sat forward eagerly listening.

"I was taught by my family to never do as I wanted, only to follow their directions all my life."

She told them of her heart wrenching discovery at the age of fourteen, that her family only used her, never cared for her and counted her as a nuisance.
She told them of her marriage at such a young age, and her pregnancy.

At that a few of the members drew back and others held their breath.
Only Donghae reached out and gripped her hand, seeing the upset in her eyes.

When she told them of her loved ones deaths, the tears she had held in from the beginning fell and Heechul moved to sit beside her, placeing his arm around her lightly in comfort.
Donghae was crying as well by the time she mentioned moving to Canada, her breakthrough, and her friend entering her in the program that sent her to them.

She left out Jaejoong of course, and she never mentioned any names, so she felt it was fine to tell up to that point.

Every one in the room was silent after she finished, even the film crew had tears in their eyes.

Tess really was worried that she had lost all their respect and regards after the telling because she knew the fans probably wouldn't like that she had a family and was living with their idols.
She really hoped she hadn't screwed every thing up.

Hee chul wiped his eyes with his thumb and hugged her suddenly.

"Tess-ssi it must have been hard, right? Don't worry, we will always support you. I don't think I could have handled such a thing." He said her hair. She looked at every one with wide eyes.

"You're not mad at me for not telling this before to the company?" She asked, shocked when they all said no.

"How could we be mad at you?" Siwon said patting her leg.
"You have been through so much suffering. Do you want to go to church with me?" 

Everyone laughed and Tess smiled tearfully.

"Thank you every one. I was so worried you would all hate me, and your fans would want me off the show."

"No way! Our fans are the best. They probably feel the same as we do." Donghae said giving her a hug.

"Everyone thank you." She said again. 


After that Tess went up to bed feeling drained, and the filming crew wrapped up for the day. 

The guys stayed gathered up in Sungmin's room talking, the fixed cameras catching their conversation from above. 

"I never knew a person could go through so much and still be so happy." Sungmin said with a sad expression. 

Ryeowook nodded and listlessly played with a string coming from Sungmin's cover from where he sat on the bed. "Nuna is so bright all the time, it's hard to imagine that happening to her." He said quietly.

Heechul was sitting there looking thoughtful when he suddenly sat up and clapped his hands together.
"Why don't we do something that will cheer her up!" He said standing.

The others looked up at him. "What do you mean Hyeong? Like a party?" Siwon asked.

"Yes!" He said pointing at the man.

"Take her mind off it all." Yesung said smiling.

Donghae stood too. "We could get some fans to write encouraging messages for her too." He said remembering her worry of their fans opinions.

"Yes, well have a party after the next episode airs." Sungmin said with a bright smile.

"All right!" They all said raising their fists in encouragement.

"Super Junior Fighting!"

 

 

 ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sun Dubu Jjigae (순두부 찌개) — A hot and spicy stew made with soft tofu, kimchi and sea food. You can adjust the level of spiciness to fit your taste, but most restaurants serve it hot and spicy. A raw egg is broken over top of the stew while it is still boiling and served.

Japchae (잡채) — A stand-alone dish in its own right, japchae can also be eaten as banchan.
Japchae is glass noodles (starch noodles) accompanied with a variety of vegetables and beef in a slightly-sweet garlic sauce.

Banchan — small side dishes.