If I could give you a star...

Fate is Present

 

 

 

 

>>>>>>>>>>♥<<<<<<<<<<

 

There was something wrong with Kim Heechul.

She couldn’t put her finger on it but she knew none the less. He was acting strange around her all of the sudden. She knew it wasn’t the kiss. She had told him to forget it and he had seemed affable enough at the time.  So what was all the glances and wary atmosphere every time they were in the same room?

Even the others had picked up on it. Just this morning they were in the kitchen cooking a batch of kimchi pancakes when he slammed through the apartment. The others had learned to leave him for her to deal with and she sighed and walked into the living room to confront him.

“What’s with you today?” she asked as he flopped down on the couch. He looked at her for a moment and sneered.

“You think you have a right to talk to me?” he asked in a dark voice.

This quiet response stunned them all; they expected him to shout like always.

“Yah, Kim Heechul what’s with you?” she asked seriously.

Heechul rolled his eyes. “Like you give a damn.” He said in English.

Tess’s eyebrow went up at that. “So now you’re cursing me in my own language now? Yah Sekki, what in the world is wrong with you? You think you can act like this all the sudden? Just because I let you off for forcing yourself on me…”

Heechul stood up quickly and came up to her. Standing nose to nose he sneered in her face.
“Don’t ever bring that up again. To think that I wanted to kiss someone like you makes me sick.” He sneered and walked off, making sure to shove her aside with his shoulder roughly.

“Hyeong!” Donghae called after him in shock as the older man slammed out of the apartment again, leaving Tess to stand there stunned with her arms still crossed.

Everyone turned to look at her, unsure of how to deal with this strange turn in the situation.

 

Tess felt as if he had slapped her in the face with his poison filled words. Then she scoffed out a laugh at how stupid everything seemed in that moment. She put her arms down and walked back past the others to continue cooking.

“Nuna are you all right?” Kyuhyun asked standing beside her, placing both of his hands on her shoulders. She nodded and smiled

“I’m fine Kyuhyun-ah don’t worry. Your Hyeong has said worse stuff to me before.”

The worry still didn’t leave his face as Leeteuk came in and pulled him away from her wearing his own frown. But he figured it best to leave her alone for now. He shooed the rest out of the kitchen area as well and Tess finally let the tension leave her shoulders. ‘That ’, she thought ‘He had no right to talk to me like that.’ “What’s his problem anyway?”

“Tess-ssi…”

 Tess turned to see Siwon standing there watching her, with one brow raised in question.

“Oh wasseo” she turned back to flip a pancake. “When did you get here?”

“Before Hyeong’s little spectacle.” He said coming into the room and leaning upon the counter with his arms crossed over his chest, his thumbs stuck up over his biceps instead of tucked in with his hands.

“I think I might know what’s wrong with him.” Siwon said watching her closely.

“Oh, well care to enlighten the rest of us? Him acting like a diva all the time is really starting to get on my nerves.” She said pouring more of the red orange batter into the pan and scattering the green onions over it before picking up the spoon again.

“Nuna, how do you know Jaejoong Hyeong?”

Tess paused, shock written all over her face before she turned to the large man across the way.

“What are you talking about?”

Siwon looked at her speculatively before unfolding himself to step closer to her.

“Hyeong-ie… was in Eunhyuk Hyeong’s room last night while you were passed out.” He said watching the color drain from her face. “When I went in to check on you after he’d gone, I heard you mumble a name…”

Tess looked down and began to rub her chest as if it was getting stuffy in the small space.

“So… How do you know Jaejoong-ie Hyeong?” He asked again, stepping even closer.

Tess shook her head and placed her hand on her forehead before she laughed humorlessly at herself. “Can’t you pretend you never heard it?” She asked desperately.

Siwon frowned at that and stood back. “I can, but I don’t think Heechul-ie Hyeong can do such a thing.” He said before turning to walk away.

Tess grabbed his massive arm and pulled him back. “Araseo, arasseo, I’ll tell you how just… just don’t tell anybody else, huh?” She said looking furtively over his shoulder to make sure no one was there.  

Siwon grinned brightly and put his hand over hers. “I promise Nuna.”

Tess scrunched her face up at him. He was enjoying this a little too much…

 

“So the girl you saved was Jong-ie Hyeong’s sister? Whaa… it’s like a drama!”  He said with a look of amazement on his face.

“Yeah it’s just great.” Tess said bitterly, rolling her eyes.

“So you haven’t seen him since then?” Siwon asked with a serious expression while grabbing the pair of her hands. Tess shook her head. Just then they heard a voice behind them and spun around like guilty children, caught sneaking a cookie.

“What are you two doing?”

It was Donghae. Both Tess and Siwon started acting like they weren’t doing anything. “Heh heh, nothing Hyeong what are you doing?” Siwon said laughing nervously as he scratched the back of his head. Tess rolled her eyes. “Oba hajima!” She mouthed at him with wide eyes and he immediately put his hands down and straightened up, clearing his throat.

Donghae eyed them both suspiciously as he reached into the fridge and got out the glass pitcher of juice. “Siwon-ie are you… messing with Tess-ssi?”

“Aniyo Hyeong! I wouldn’t…” he shook his head, his hands waving back and forth rapidly. He quickly pushed passed the annoyed woman and left the room.
Tess stood there with her hands on her hips watching him go. Donghae slowly brought the jug up to his lips to drink when she screeched “Use a glass!” making him jump as she turned and went back to cooking.

 

_______________________________JYJ________________________

 

Jaejoong walked up the steps of his Mother’s home. There was forsythia and cherry blossom trees blooming along the low wall, hanging over to shade the sidewalk. The walk had been swept clean and he wondered who had done it, if his dongsaeng was busy. He hadn’t been by in a while, and he wanted to see Yoojung again too. He rang the bell and announced himself. He didn’t even make it to the door before it was flung open and his not so little sister came barreling into him with a fierce hug. “Oppa! I missed you!” she squealed as Jae laughed and slouched over to hug her back.

“Ah, I missed you too runt. ” He patted her back and she stood up and glared at him with a pout.

“I am not a runt!”
 Jaejoong laughed and steered her back into the house. “Arasseo, al-a. Eomma eodi?”

After greeting his Mother, he and Yoojung were sitting in the living room around the low table waiting for their Mother to finish cooking lunch as they talked a bit.  

Yoojung sent her brother a sly look and wondered what was up with him. ‘He seems a bit distracted today. ’ She thought, then an idea hit her and she sat up straighter.

“Oppa, have you heard anything about Tess Eonni lately?”

Jaejoong looked over at his little sister and wondered about her reason for asking. ‘Did she know where she was?’

“Aniyo, Wae? Have you?” He asked with a raised brow and slight tremor in his voice.

Yoojung looked at him for a second and shrugged. “Aniyo, I was just asking.”

Jaejoong felt deflated and slumped down a little at her answer. He was sure Tess would have contacted Yoojung at least. He figured she didn’t want anything to do with them anymore. She was probably happier with Super Junior anyway.

Jae forced a smile when his Mother came in bringing the tray of food with her. As she placed it on the table and knelt, he took up the utensils and passed a set of chopsticks to his little sister, chatting happily all the while. It was all pretense, though he was happy to see them, he still felt rather empty after hearing what Yoojung had to say.  

For some reason, he had a bad feeling every time he thought of Tess. It felt as if something he knew he wouldn’t like was about to happen. He wouldn’t come out and say it, but her living with Super Junior had him worried. He didn’t want to lose her to them, even if they couldn’t be together.

He sighed and took a shot of soju. He had spent the afternoon at his Mothers and left in high spirits, but the moment he began to walk back to his apartment he shared with Junsu and YuChun, he began to fret all over again. Somewhere along the way he’d found himself outside a pojang macha. He went inside and sat down, ordering a bottle of soju to stew over.

“She must be pretty amazing to have you worrying over a bottle of soju all by yourself” Said a voice beside him.

Jaejoong turned and was met with quite a surprise. There sitting in an empty seat was none other than Kim Heechul.

“Yah, what are you doing here?” He said with a half laugh.

Heechul grabbed his glass and downed it, sitting it down to refill before he answered, “Same as you probably.” He said absently, taking another drink before looking at his ex-label mate. Then, as if it took great effort, he grabbed his glass and bottle and stood walking over to join the other man, carelessly sitting with a sigh.  

Jaejoong had just watched him silently as he did this, with his hands clasped between his knees, a rather innocent pose to the other man’s thinking. Heechul snorted back a laugh as he thought this and Jaejoong smiled at him, refilling his empty glass once more before filling his own from the same bottle.

He pointed to Heechul as he sat the bottle down again. “What has you so affable today Hyeong?”

Heechul snorted again, rolling his eyes as he drank the shot down. “Do I look friendly to you?” He asked as Jaejoong followed suit, draining the small glass with a little laugh and a shrug.

“Maybe” He said grinning.

Heechul suddenly had the urge to punch him, but he restrained himself by drinking another shot.

“Why the hell are you around here anyway?” The prickly diva asked as Jaejoong poured himself another shot and drank.

Jaejoong looked around, as if just now realizing he was close to Super Juniors apartment complex. “Oh, your right” he said uncomfortably still looking about as if not wanting to meet the others eyes. “Why am I here?” he asked as if talking to himself. He turned back and poured another shot for the both of them and they took another drink, Heechul never taking his eyes off the younger male for a second.

As if Jaejoong could feel it, he wouldn’t meet the older man’s eyes. He just poured another drink and downed it clearing his throat afterward.

“Well I’d better get going. Hyeong, don’t overdo it okay? You’ll make Leeteuk-ie Hyeong worry.” He said as he stood up and paid for both their bottles. With a little awkward wave he was gone and Heechul took another drink.

Slamming the glass back down onto the table he stood up and went after the younger man.

“Yah Kim Jaejoong!”

Jaejoong heard his name being called and turned around.

He’d been walking with his shoulders hunched, hands buried in his black overcoat pockets.
It must have been the chill night creeping up close around him that he could barely feel the warmth of the alcohol anymore. That, and coming to the realization that he had inadvertently walked to Super Juniors neighborhood, where she was, evidently in a complete daze, made him sober up pretty quick.

So when he heard his name called he turned, but was steady enough that he dodged the fist that came at him from nowhere.

He quickly stepped back and put some distance between him and the other man.

“Yah, Kim Heechul, what’s your problem?” He yelled at the other man, whose face was reddening as he geared up to swing again. Jaejoong dodged that one as well and danced back as the older man stumbled and turned back to face him again, his breath puffing out white in the night air.

Jaejoong looked around quickly to make sure no one was paying them any attention.

“Hyeong, come to your senses! We are out in the open, anybody could see us.” Jaejoong hissed.

“What’s with you anyway? Why are you coming after me like this? Is it because of the company?”

Heechul snorted “As if I gave a damn about all that.” He said bitterly.

Jaejoong just looked at his as if he was out of his mind.

“Look, I’m going okay? Just… go back to your dorm and we will forget this whole thing, huh?” Jaejoong said trying to keep the damage to a minimum.

Heechul laughed, he laughed! While spinning around, throwing his hands up in the air, Jaejoong was afraid he’d finally snapped.

The older man looked back at him and glared. “I really don’t get it.” He said as he just walked away.

Jaejoong watched him go and scratched his head. He really had no idea what had just happened. Sighing he shrugged and pulled out his phone. He quickly scrolled down the list of contacts and dialed Leeteuk’s number.

“Oh Hyeong, I just met up with Heechul Hyeong…”

 

______________________________SuJu______________________________

 

Leeteuk shook his head as he punched the end button on his hand phone.

He didn’t know what the hell was wrong with Heechul but taking a swing at somebody like that was where he drew the line. Just then he heard the door slam shut and Heechul walked in.

The others were out in the living room when he walked in and he sneered at Tess. She had just came out of the kitchen with the water pitcher in her hands to refill the guys cups, so she stood there by the table with it in her hands, knuckles turning white from the force of her grip on the handle, watching him.

Leeteuk came storming out of his room and caught sight of his target.

“Yah, Kim Heechul!”

Everyone froze at the irate tone in their leaders’ voice as he yelled at the 4D diva.

“Have you lost your mind? What were you thinking trying to fight with Kim Jaejoong out in public like that?!  What if somebody had seen y…”

His rant was cut off by the sound of shattering glass. Everyone swung around to look at Tess, who had dropped the pitcher when that name had left Leeteuk’s lips and registered in her brain.

Tess, however, didn’t notice the water pooling at her feet, soaking her socks and slippers. Her shocked eyes were glued to Heechul who was just glaring right back at her.

“What did you do?” Her disconnected voice came as if from a distance to her own ears when she asked this question, unaware of all the startled eyes on her.

Heechul just glared at her, he didn’t speak one word with his mouth, but volumes with those eyes and Tess brought a shaking hand up to cover .

 

Siwon stood up then and grabbed her hand, swinging her around to face the wall as he bent and pick her up princess style.

He ignored her squeak of protest and shushed her as he carried her away from the broken glass and into the kitchen. He sat her down and made her look into his eyes. As soon as she focused on him he said “Stay here and collect yourself. Don’t come back in until you can think rationally, you don’t want the others to find out right?”

She shook her head and he nodded. “Then stay here and I will go out and clean up this mess, okay.”

“Thank you.” She said turning to clutch the edge of the counter top. Siwon just grabbed a cloth off the surface and walked back out. Heechul was still glaring at the spot she had been standing.

Siwon sighed and said loudly “Hyeong.”

This seemed to shock Heechul out of whatever thoughts he’d fallen into because he jerked as if waking up. His eyes met the other mans.

“Go on into your room Hyeong and we will talk about this later.” Siwon said. When Leeteuk made a move to object Siwon, without breaking his gaze from Heechuls’, held up his hand shocking the leader into silence.

Heechul looked down, then around at everyone and nodded, walking to his room and slamming the door. Siwon took a breath and turned to Leeteuk. “I’m sorry Hyeong for being rude just then, but its best we don’t talk to Heechul Hyeong for now.”

He bent and started soaking up the water, carefully picking up the pieces of glass and placing them into an empty rice bowl from the table. Donghae snapped out of his shocked silence and darted over to help him, saying quietly when they were close enough “You’re going to have to explain all this to me later.”

Siwon paused, then nodded and went back to cleaning.

Leeteuk sighed and walked into the kitchen to see Tess standing there with tears running silently down her face. He stared at her profile for a moment before turning and walking back out. He too went to his room and closed the door. “Things are getting more and more complicated around here.” He said to the empty space as he crossed to flop down onto his back in the bed.  

 

He lay there, staring at the ceiling, until there was a knock on his door. Leeteuk sat up as Siwon and Donghae came in, closing the door quietly behind them.

“What the heck is going on Siwon-ie?” He asked as the other two men sat down on Donghae’s bed.

Siwon nodded and said softly “It really isn’t my place, and I wouldn’t even know if it wasn’t for accidently hearing something but…”

Donghae shifted to look at him and he continued. “I asked Tess and she said to just tell you Hyeong, so you could handle Heechul Hyeong from now on.” Siwon took a deep breath and began to tell them just why Heechul was acting the way he was, and why Tess was at the center of it all.

“That’s why she doesn’t think you will object to her asking the producers if she can switch apartments for the rest of the show.” Siwon said finishing up his tale.

Leeteuk looked too startled to say anything and Donghae was just staring at the ground with his brows furrowed.

“It’s for the best then.” Donghae said suddenly.

Leeteuk looked up at him. “Well, she can’t stay here with him glaring at her all the time and we all know he wouldn’t leave. How about I talk to Eunhyuk and see if she can’t stay in his room? We can just tell everyone that it’s for the public, because of her and me dating.”

Siwon grinned at him and patted his back with one large hand. Leeteuk nodded while thinking about it. “Yeah that could work. We can’t really let this out. Not only for Tess but for Jaejoong as well, they are going through enough already.” He said finally standing up. The other two stood as well.

“You go do that and we will work on the other guys.” Leeteuk said to Donghae.

The younger man nodded and left to talk to Eunhyuk and Leeteuk pulled Siwon over to him and they went to work on a plan to keep thing working smoothly, for the production and their daily lives.

 

 

And so, Tess said goodbye to the twelfth floor and moved down to the eleventh. She had to haggle with Eunhyuk on at least three different occasions about touching things in his room and keeping it clean, as well as no moving the furniture.
How he figured she’d do that was a puzzle for her, but she agreed to it anyway. He moved some of his clothes upstairs to her old room and she settled into a new, tension free environment.

It really wasn’t any more difficult to live with Yesung, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun than it had been to live with the others. She had to work out their schedules so she knew when who got up in the mornings and who took the longest shower, which was surprisingly Kyuhyun, and she had to get used to cooking in their kitchen as well. Soon the others were trickling down to the eleventh floor instead of the upper one when it was time for meals, all except Heechul, who’d taken to going out during those times.

She’d heard from Siwon that he’d talked to Leeteuk and Donghae and they had worked it all out with the staffs. She spoke to Leeteuk about how sorry she was but he waved it off saying that she had broken things off with Jaejoong long before she’d even heard of them and that Heechul was just being a big baby.

Well… those weren’t his exact words, but she liked the way that sounded better.

The public never noticed that she and Heechul were on the outs. The story Donghae cooked up was the perfect cover. Since they were “dating” he felt it would be better for Tess to live downstairs so the fans wouldn’t worry about anything inappropriate going on. The CEO and Producers all agreed heartily to his suggestion and wondered why they hadn’t thought of it.

So Donghae and Tess began to put on a magnificent performance for everyone. They would meet in the hallways in the morning and Tess would shyly ask him how he slept. Donghae would beam at her and say something cheesy like “I slept great because I was dreaming of you.” And Tess would have to try and not gag in front of millions. (Because she didn’t do cheesy, you understand, not because she didn’t like Donghae).

So they would walk together to buy food at the market and he would carry it back for her.

She held the door open for him as the cameras filmed on. Donghae shifted the bags to get a better hold on them.

“Do you want me to carry one?” Tess asked as she called for the elevator.

Donghae looked at her with sparkling eyes and smiled sweetly. “Pil-yohaji anhseubnida. Naegaiss-eo.”

Tess ginned at him and scrunched up her nose. The cameras then switched to her expression and she immediately looked adoringly at him. “Aw, neomu gwiyeobda!” They grinned at each other and Donghae laughed as the doors opened. He made a move to get on but paused, Heechul was standing there at the back of the elevator, leaning on the bar that stretched across the back with his legs crossed at the ankle. He looked up into the cameras and smirked.

“Oh Hyeong are you going out?” Donghae asked and Tess tensed up.

“Aniyo.” Heechul said as he pushed through the staff and left, giving Tess the cold shoulder.

He left the building and Donghae wrinkled his brow. Tess nudged him to reminding him they were being filmed and he laughed. “Our Heechul is definitely different.”

Tess laughed as well and agreed. She waited until the camera man got on and waved to the other staff that would wait for the lift to come back down again before following them, and then she pushed the button to go up.

“So what do you want to do today after your schedule? I could make us a picnic and we could go to the park?” Tess said as they passed floors. “It’s supposed to be a little warmer today.”

“That sounds great!” Donghae said smiling. “I could teach you to play soccer.” He suggested.

Tess smiled and nodded as the elevator dinged and they reached their floor. She walked down and keyed open the door, Donghae followed with the groceries and they put them away while talking and trying to keep things interesting for the cameras.

 

Later that day they headed to the park in the small silver car of one of the managers, picnic stuff in the trunk and smiles on their faces for being out from in under the cameras for a little while.  

“Yah, I thought they were going to follow me into the restroom today at the studio.” Donghae amazed at her as they merged with the flow of traffic.

She giggled “For real?” He nodded and she threw her head back and laughed. “Ah” she sighed “It was such a hard day.” She looked over at Donghae as he looked into the side mirror to change lanes.

“What happened?” He asked.

She smiled, “I went upstairs to get the laundry, just to help out you know, since I was doing everyone else’s, and Heechul was there.” Donghae looked over at her.

“Did he say anything?”

“Ani, he just sat there, didn’t even acknowledge my presence. When I asked him if he had anything, he grunted at me, so I just left.”  She shrugged her shoulders. “He doesn’t care that there are cameras in his face, he keeps his eyes ddak…” she made a forward motion with both hands. Donghae laughed over at her and she looked back at him with a smile.

They pulled in and parked, as soon as the van behind them stopped two camera men were out and upon them filming once again. The two shot each other looks and smiles over the car as Tess got the blanket from the trunk and Donghae locked up the car. He grabbed the basket and a duffle bag and shut the trunk. Tess waited for him and they took off to find the best spot to film at.

Donghae and Tess both wound up waving at people that recognized them, and Donghae even gave out a few hugs to some seven year old girls who were at the park with their families.

Tess saw a foreign couple in the park with a small white dog that had a bright green stripe dyed down its back. She waved at the couple, who seemed to be filming something of their own, as they walked by.

“Oh how cute!” She said watching the dog spin around in circles while the woman filmed the man, who seemed to be phoning for takeout.

Donghae lead her away, and they searched the less populated areas for a good spot.

“It’s a little chill for this huh?” She asked Donghae.

“Aniyo, I always wanted to go on a date at the park.” He smiled brightly as they spread out the blanket.

“Oh really, then it’s good we came.” She said smiling back, meaning every word. She knew they didn’t get to date publicly because of the media and fans. She’d experienced more than her share of being hated since the whole dating Donghae thing started. She was booed a few times at the beginning during their stages she went to, not to mention the bloody letters she’d received. Death threats were not something she thought she’d ever have to deal with in her life, but thanks to this show she had.

This was exactly what she’d hoped to avoid by staying apart from Jaejoong. But it didn’t hurt Donghae so that was a plus. Imagine if he actually loved her!

She never wanted Jaejoong to suffer through watching her go through that stuff. From Yoojung, she’d heard about him stopping by their place. He’d asked her if she’d heard anything from Tess and of course she told him no, but according to Yoojung, Jaejoong didn’t seem to know about the show. Those words had made her breathe a sigh of relief.

Donghae watched her as she arranged everything out in front of them. He suddenly had an idea and he grinned. Quickly he leaned over the blanket and kissed Tess right on the cheek with a sweet smile. He saw out of the corner of his eye, the producers giving him thumbs up as the other camera captured her response. Tess looked at him with wide eyes as she brought her hand up to cup her cheek.

A blush spread over her face and Donghae chuckled. “Did you like it that much?” with a playful smile spreading upon his lips.

Tess let the smile slip out passed her guard and Donghae stared at the cute expression, dumbfounded.

“What… what was that for?’ She asked shyly.

Donghae shook his head, still smiling. “You looked cute, like a wife.”

The staffs off camera were going crazy and it took all they had for Donghae and Tess to not look over or laugh. The stylist and her assistant were fawning over each other dramatically and the guys were doing crazy dances, all thinking that this was gold for the show.

Tess looked at Donghae and, for once, couldn’t tell if he was acting or not. It sent a little thrill through her that could have been panic, or it could have been happiness. She was actually worried over which.

Donghae wasn’t acting though. He really felt she was beyond cute at that moment. It really made him think how wife-like she was to everybody back at the apartments. She always cooked, cleaned and encouraged each and every one of them and she did it because she wanted to. They still had a cleaning ajumma that came in every other day, they still had their manager to take them out for food any time they asked, but they hadn’t and Tess didn’t seem to mind doing these things for them.
She was always smiling at them and telling them how she liked their performances, she kept up with what they were doing and fed them peppy words and suggestions all the time, fully supporting their efforts.

She even listened to their complaints and took their harsh words. He really thought she was amazing, going through all she had and still, she was so beautiful. Donghae smiled at her, letting the corners of his eyes crinkle, and Tess felt another wave of heat pass over her. She was sure she’d be about the color of a beet right about now.

She put her hands up and patted her cheeks. “Oh you’re such a smooth talker.”

Everyone turned and looked in the direction of that voice. A couple of little old ladies were standing there watching them, having paused in their walk to see what the commotion was about with the cameras and such.

 A little Halmeoni with grey hair and a sour look on her face was the one who had spoken. Another Halmeoni was standing with her, their arms linked; they looked to be holding one another up.
They were both dressed as village grandmas, with their printed ajumma pants and fur lined vests over turtlenecks. The other grandmother with the black and peppered hair was even wearing a yellow sun visor. Tess was amazed she could actually see someone dressed this way outside of dramas she’d watched.

“H… Halmeoni, would you like to sit with us for a bit?” Tess asked knowing it would be quite interesting, but she didn’t want to be rude. The sour faced Halmeoni looked at her for a good minute before shuffling over to take a seat, groaning and puffing all the way down. Donghae helped them both to sit and offered them a cup of the green tea Tess had made.

“It’s nice to see some young people still have respect for their elders.” The black haired lady said with an indignant sniff. The other granny nodded.

“Yes indeed, why my own grandson is around the same age as the young man here” she said pointing to Tess, “and he never once has sat down with me like this, offering me tea and the like.”

Donghae was trying not to laugh at the old woman’s mistake, which had Tess grinding her teeth in a forced smile.

“Halmeoni, why don’t you try some kimchi, I made it myself.” Tess said holding up a bit with her chopsticks, her other hand hovering below to catch any drops. She fed both the grandmothers and beamed when they both made noises of appreciation.

“It could use a bit more anchovy oil and a dash more red pepper.” The grey haired grandmother said with a nod.

“Neh, Halemonim I’ll do that next time.” Tess said bowing her head respectfully.

“Well we have to be off, you two make a fine couple. Wish my own could be so lucky. Lives with a harpy he does.”  The silver haired grandma said as the two walked away with the black haired granny waving back at them, her bright red lips in a wide smile. “Why does such good looking well-mannered boys have to be gay, I’ll never know…” The silver granny’s words ran off to be swallowed up  in the distance and all they could do was watch them go in silence, even the camera crew followed them until Donghae coughed, choking back the laughter bubbling up inside his chest.

“Well that was… interesting.” Donghae said with a half chuckle. Tess glared at him.

“Oh don’t you dare Lee Donghae!”  

Donghae looked at her for a moment with that wicked grin playing on his face.

“I wouldn’t dream of it… Hyeong.”

He shot up off the ground as she lunged at him. He danced away as she looked up at him, with a smile finding its way onto her face at the joy upon his own. Her eyes lit up and he took off running as she quickly stood and gave chase.

They played like that for a bit, he always dodging her and letting her get close, she laughing like she hadn’t done in ages. Donghae suddenly turned the game around and circled his arms around her, picking her up to swing her around under the boughs of the flowering trees as she laughed that musical laugh out loud. It brought him joy to hear it and he continued messing with her.

She turned as soon as her feet touched the ground and tried to grab him but he darted away again.

The producers were having a field day with the footage.

The directors was talking with the producer about how they could surround it in a pink glow and sparkles and hearts and slow it down and put some cheesy romantic music behind it. If Tess had been near them she would have vomited and then yelled at them, so of course they weren’t going to tell her.

 

After their little stint in the park and Donghae tried to teach the woman how to play soccer unsuccessfully, because it always wound up as a game of tag, they packed up and called it a day.

Donghae was actually feeling pretty good, even if it was his day off. Because they had fun, and she had laughed so brightly, he felt it wasn’t a waste at all. Thanks to this he was able to play all day instead of going to a schedule that would have bored the pants off him.

Dating on camera wasn’t so bad, he had time to do things like this, play and have fun for a change, better than the alternative of sneaking around and hardly getting to do anything for fear of being spotted and making the morning papers.

He watched her as she played with another couples dog while he was packing up the car once again. They seemed to know who they were but didn’t approach him at all. They just spoke to Tess and answered her questions about their puppy. She brought smiles to their faces and he could tell she had charmed them. It was a special talent of hers she didn’t even realize she possessed.

Donghae had heard her say she was worried about what people would think or say of her, but when she was like this there wasn’t any reason to not like her. She just made others happy.

Tess stood and waved to the couple, Donghae waved from where he stood and the couple gave a friendly wave back as they turned and continued on. Tess came bounding over to the car and opened her door. She smiled at him over the roof of the sedan.

“I had a really good time today. I hope we can do it again soon. Maybe the other guys can come too.”

Donghae smiled at her. “Maybe, I’m glad you had a good time. I haven’t been out like this since we debuted. It was really fun.” He said laying his fore arms over the top of the car.

Tess grinned and he swore the sun came out from behind the clouds for a moment. “I couldn’t think of a better guy to spend this time with.” She said sincerely.

That took Donghae aback. Did she really forget for a moment, her pain from the previous week? Had he been able to chase away her demons if only for a day?

If he had, he was more than grateful. He never wanted to see that expression on her face again, the face of deep rooted pain that never seemed to leave her eyes after the confrontation between her and Heechul that day in the apartment. The day when she was reminded of everything she had lost and couldn’t ever have.

“Kaja.” He said and they climbed into the sedan and drove off, back to the apartment building to end another day with all of Super Junior.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

왔어? Wasseo? = You’re here?

알아서, 알아서 Arasseo, arasseo = Alright, alright

오바하지마 Oba hajima = in this case means, Don’t overreact.

알아서, 알아. 엄마 어디? Arasseo, al-a. Eomma eodi? = Alright, I know. Where’s Mom?

필요하지않습니다. 내가있어. Pil-yohaji anhseubnida. Naegaiss-eo. = No need. I’m here, or “I’ve got it”

너무귀엽다 neomu gwiyeobda = so cute

딱 ddak = just

가자 Kaja = Come on or Let’s go