The storm

Fate is Present

The storm
...
it brings about truth,
even when you want to keep it locked away.

~o0o~

The morning dawned with heavy black clouds, as a thunderstorm rolled in from the south.

Tess had started out early that morning for the apartment with her handy bright blue umbrella shielding her from the, then light rain.
Moments before reaching the building the storm blew in and the rain fell like a dark curtain, obscuring everything within seven feet.

Tess was near soaked when she knocked on the door that morning.
She was shaking off her shoes when the door was opened revealing Jaejoong in his pajamas. A blush crept up her face when he just smiled and moved aside. She stepped in and bowed.

"Jasohamnida." she said pointing out the door. "It's raining very hard just now."

Jaejoong let out a chuckle. "Gwaenchanha, wait and I'll get you a towel."

She forced a smile and took off her shoes. She could smell bacon and eggs, and figured Crystal had awoke early and cooked.

"Kahmsahmnida." she said taking the towel offered.
Following Jae into the apartment she asked where the others were. 

"Oh, they're still asleep." he said as he moved to stand in front of the stove.

Tess was taken aback.
"You mean you did all of this?" she gestured to the table laden with food arranged nicely.

"Yes, I like to cook." he said nodding. He turned and smiled at her. "You want breakfast?"

Tess smiled in return. "Sure."

 

They were eating in compatible silence when Yoojung came bouncing in to hug them both around the necks, putting them in a loose headlock. Tess laughed.

"Good morning sleepyhead!"

"Eonni I'm so happy you came! Are you ok? Is Oppa being nice?"

Tess nodded. "Yes to all. Look, your Oppa made breakfast."

Jaejoong looked up at the tone of her voice and smiled. He held his fork dangling over his eggs while propping on his elbow.

Tess thought he looked like a model, even wearing sleep clothes, and slightly mussed hair.

Yoojung noticed her looking at her brother and smiled devilishly, a plan forming in her young mind. She looked at him and curled her lip.

Teasingly she said "Aigo, Oppa you only look like that in front of family. All every one else sees is a fashionable idol. Ohh what would your fans think?"  She rubbed his head and Tess laughed aloud.
 Jaejoong smoothed down his hair quickly and glared at his sister.

"Yah! Yoojung-ah you wanna die?" That made both Yoojung and Tess break out into more giggles.

"Aigo! What noise so early in the morning." Crystal said sitting at the table, scratching her messy hair. She grabbed a piece of ham and munched contentedly.

"Nuna your still the same." Jaejoong sighed.

"Yah, Jaejoong-ah how manny times are you going to say that?" she snarled shooting him an annoyed look.

Tess and Yoojung grinned at each other, already used to this argument.
Just then a loud boom came from outside startleing them, and the power went out.

"Ugh! I haven't had my shower yet!" Crystal grumbled as she stood up. "I'm going back to bed." She stomped off to her room and slammed the door behind her.

"Obviously not a morning person." Tess said under her breath. Jaejoong stood and began clearing the dishes from the table.

"You didn't seem surprised when Yoojung spoke about me having fans. Do you know who I am?" He asked her as she came up beside him to put the glasses in the soapy water he'd prepared. Tess looked at his serious expression, puzzled.

"No, but it was kind of easy to figure out." she said with a shrug. "Besides you don't look like some everyday, nine to five paper pusher."  

"What?" he asked looking at her.

She blushed a little and shook her head, replying in Korean this time. "You look like you are a performer. Even now you carry yourself differently than everyone else." she said as she rinsed the plates he'd washed, and set them in the drying rack.

"So what are you? An actor?" she asked keeping her eyes down.

"I'm a singer." he said quietly. "We were in a group but... some things happened and now three of the five of us are performing solely in Japan."

Tess heard the underlying sadness in his voice and thought 'ah so that was it.
"You must miss them." she said softly.

Glass clanked as he dropped the dish back into the soapy water, and turned to her.
She could tell it was a touchy subject, and was prepared for harsh words, but he just stared at her.

She looked up at him as if expecting to get hit. That was what stopped him from opening his mouth, as nothing else had in the past. His rash tongue, many times had gotten him into trouble, but when he looked at her he swallowed his words.

"I hope everything works out for you Jaejoong-ssi." she said looking into his eyes.

The formality snapped him out of it, and he nodded. "Yeah, me too." he said turning back to the sink. 

Yoojung snuck away after witnessing their interaction. She might not have spent a lot of time around her older brother, but she knew he never let things like that just pass without throwing his temper.
Tess, it seemed, had worked her magic on him as well. No one could dislike such an open person. She was wary but still so innocent in ways. Yoojung really wouldn't mind her becoming family.  

 ...

Tess pulled on the cord to the window blinds letting more of the grey light in from outside.
The power had yet to come on, and they were all sitting around the apartment trying to keep from being totally bored.

"Why don't we play a game?" she suggested. Jaejoong looked at Yoojung and grinned.

"Want to play for money?" he asked with a smirk that just oozed sneakiness.

Tess sighed and nodded. "As-sa!" Jaejoong said as he got up and went to his bag to retrieve something. He pulled out a small pack of cards and Yoojung clapped happily.

"Oh, I never get to play this at home!" she said gleefully As Tess watched with a wary gaze,  Jaejoong began dealing the small cards out with a glint in his eye.

 

Yoojung is a cheat. Tess came to this conclusion as they played go stop to pass the time.
Tess was new to the game but still, a person can't have that much luck.

They were well into the third round for the second time that afternoon when she noticed it.
 Jaejoong shot Yoojung a look and brought his hand up. He looked like he was scratching his right ear but Tess saw it for what it was.

"Ah!" She pointed to his hand.

"What?" he said with a nervous laugh.

"You signaled her."

She pointed back and forth between the two. "You're cheating."

"How could you say that?" Jaejoong said with an air of innocence. He placed his hands over his cheast and wore an insulted look on his face. "I'm hurt Tess, that you think of us this way."

Tess peered at him from the corner of her eye. "Oh please. Don't give me that. It's plain as day, you signaled."

"Eonni." Yoojung said mimicking Jae's wounded look.

"Eww, swindlers." she said getting up.

"Where are you going?" Jaejoong asked laughing.

"I'm not playing."  They both laughed as she walked off to the kitchen for a bottle of water.

 _________________________________________________________________________________________________